Panda Bear - Tomboy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It seems like the internet kind of hates this, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong sample groups. What gives? I listened to the stream one time and didn't particularly care, either way; definitely didn't hate it, though, which is a lot more than I can say for Person Pitch. It just doesn't shift this dude's sound more than very slightly (as far as I can tell), so even this preliminary semi-backlash has surprised me.

Then again, I don't know much of anything about Panda Bear's records, because I haven't liked them. Someone fill me in.

I haven't really read any impressions from anyone else yet. I've been too busy trying to have a baby with the record.

Fuck the backlash. If you like it, you like it.

Maybe it's just time for a slight backlash. The critics have been in love with this guy for at least five or six years now, so maybe the honeymoon has ended.

I've always been right down the middle with Animal Collective and Panda Bear. I don't hate them by any means, but don't think they're phenomenal or geniuses by any means either. Each album seems to have about 2 songs I really like, and a bunch I forget the second after the album ends. I usually like those two songs enough that I keep trying though.

Yeah, that seems a fairly accurate comparison.

It's actually more apt than I thought given the parallels between Atlas Sound and Panda. I feel the same about that project as I do about Deerhunter.

But I'm a typical AC fanboy, so let's not pretend my opinion of Tomboy isn't colored by that.

You are the Tracy Jordan of our era.

That explains why I've convinced my friends I've been in Africa for the past two months.

Regarding the Deerhunter and AC comparisons, I'll concede that both groups tend to make albums in which the songs disappear into the larger whole of the album. The key difference for me is this: whereas Deerhunter albums create a stirring, memorable atmosphere, AC's throw so much into the mix that the end result is something incoherent. So much is going on at any one point that nothing really comes to the fore. Sung Tongs, I think, is a perfect example of this, which is why I prefer the sparser albums like Campfire Songs to their more recent work.

Oh, and as for Deerhunter and Animal Collective, I like them both a lot. Animal Collective generally has more great vocals, Deerhunter more definite structure.

I'm usually not one to find pop culture similes entertaining, but this one, from Tiny Mix Tapes, made me laugh:

"Indeed, playing [Tomboy] is sort of like watching Yoda lift the X-Wing fighter out of the alien bayou on Dagobah; its still dripping with mud and moss, but it’s sleek, sharp, and ready, it seems, for take-off."

I thought TinyMixTapes used to be all over Animal Collective's proverbial jock, surprised to see a less than stellar score from them.

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but the physical version comes with a download code for a 15 song live set from last year.

The critical reception to Tomboy thus far has been fascinating. I'm surprised by the amount of lukewarm reviews that it is receiving, but what really strikes me is the reasoning behind the tepidness. The review will spend the first half applauding Person Pitch, then promptly launch into the reasons that Tomboy fails to be Person Pitch. Ultimately, what they are doing is penalizing Tomboy for not matching the image of PP - not the actual album, but rather the imagined masterpiece, the phantasm that was somehow the best indie album of all time. Perhaps I'm not articulating it well enough, but it seems as though this album is being dismissed for failing to reach a standard that Panda had never reached before.

Person Pitch is a fascinating listening experience, but it is by no means perfect, and Tomboy shouldn't be held to those standards. It's a logical, extremely well-executed progression from a major creative breakthrough that left room to improve.

I like the artwork for Last Night at the Jetty.

Last_Night_At_The_Jetty.jpg

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but the physical version comes with a download code for a 15 song live set from last year.
Hadn't heard this until now! Nice...hope I'm able to snag a copy of the RSD version.

GAF would be happy to know that Derrick Rose is thanked in the liner notes. No shit.

After one listen, I'm not sure what to think. I was definitely not blown away, but I could clearly sense that, if given the time, I could come to like this album a great deal. We'll find out, I suppose.

My Panda Bear background: I liked Meriweather Post Pavillion and some select songs from the earlier albums. I was meh about Person Pitch.

Now...

I am meh about this album as well. I think it's the vocals. I just don't like his vocals. The melodies, the treatments. It works in AC because a lot of the time he's the backing vocalist for Avey. It works as a backing vocal. I just don't like it being the only thing.

Back
Top Bottom