Original of the Species - LIVE TODAY - Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Blue Crack Addict
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
For anyone that was there, how did the band play the song? Did Edge do both the piano and guitar part ala New Years Day or did he play one or the other? Or (my personal favorite thought) did they make Bono learn the piano part?

Someone let us in on the secret!

Edge played piano on it - Edge did not play guitar from what I remember. Bono did and made several remarks about how poorly he plays. It started out as just piano and vocals and then Larry and Adam kicked in about a minute into it.

Hawk269 said:
Edge played piano on it - Edge did not play guitar from what I remember. Bono did and made several remarks about how poorly he plays. It started out as just piano and vocals and then Larry and Adam kicked in about a minute into it.

Damn. They are gonna have to work that out better in my opinon (which granted doesn't count for much cause I have only seen about 15 seconds of the song played live). I would like to hear that song full.

Doing my best rjhbonovox impression, "Original of the Species is just The Edge and Bono secreting the same old boring piano riffs and radio-friendly song structure! Now come on and flame me! you know you want to! eh! eh!"

:wink:

J/K I love OOTS! yay!

yes, i agree they need to work on this.
i was there and i was so happy they played it.
but edge's guitar part in that song, especially the last minute or so, is SO strong on the album, that i think they need to have him play it live.
bono played a very minimal guitar part.
and honestly, i think he has trouble concentrating on singing when he is playing.
i will say, though, that with bono's very minimal guitar and edge's piano not really being too loud, that larry was the star of this song, particularly the epic ending.
the drums really drove the music in place of where edge's lead guitar should have been.
and of course, the bonus of bono holding the guitar during this song was that after it ended he kept playing his guitar and broke into she's a mystery to me.
now that was a treat.

I was at the show. It was good. Everybody was standing in line below the Brooklyn bridge and the band became visible on top of it singing and shouting down at us - choppers in the sky capturing their every move.....it looked very much like a stage gliding across the bridge from down below as the truck couldn't be seen. The band showed up 20 minutes later after their appearance on the bridge, did a 20 minute 'make-up' (in bono's case hair piece) session and emerged to play Vertigo.

In response to the version Original, Bono played guitar and Edge played piano. Bono said to the crowd something along the lines of 'Oh dear god......you're all about to find out very soon why I don't play guitar that much.' It was the green guitar that he used during Walk On during the Elevation tour. It was a good version, but a very safe one.

They did Vertigo twice - I believe bc the crowd was amped after hearing the old favorites and was much more into it towards the end than the beginning. Maybe it had to do with the fact it was 4 something in the afternoon or maybe they wanted to capture Vertigo at night vs the first shoot/take when it was still light out.

Very good show - very unique experience. I think the concerts will be more intense bc for the most part the crowd stood there fairly calm and took in the new songs. Those who knew some of the new songs and screamed as he announced City of Blinding Lights for example, Bono responded 'Edge, I think we know who already has the CD'....in a 'We gotcha!' sorta way.

Back
Top Bottom