One year ago today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The strongest impression about Apple backlash is that it is unbelievable how stupid can people be. It was a wonderful step done by U2. It was innovative, it was courageous, it was generous. It was a great idea to promote their new album. Great deal with Apple, great opportunity to make some hype. I wouldn´t think people would be so silly and ungrateful and just complain, complain and complain about it. Just a stupid negativity. OK, If you get a gift and you don´t exactly like it, at least you should express a bit of gratitude or just go on and shut your mouth up.

I don´t understand it.

This world is mad.

It doesn´t deserve U2 anymore.

:sad:

OK, If you get a gift and you don´t exactly like it, at least you should express a bit of gratitude or just go on and shut your mouth up.
I think people are likely to bristle at a gift when they know the giver expects something in return... I know I do. In U2's case, they gave the album away with the hope of drumming up interest in the band. It was promotional. Not only that, they forced it into people's hands. Just creates a bad vibe. Bono called the album junk mail to those who didn't want it. Does anyone react well to junk mail?

Anyway. This topic is getting really boring.

I noticed a while ago that Ordinary Love had far more YouTube hits than Invisible and The Miracle (obviously). People were into that song. I'd venture to say it's been U2's most popular new song in the past 10 years. Perhaps it would've been best to launch an album on the back of Ordinary Love? We'll never know...

Personally, I don't find Ordinary Love that remarkable, but there's one mix I return to once in while - the Interscope Promo mix. Give it a listen if you haven't yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-rFjC8M0vo

I noticed a while ago that Ordinary Love had far more YouTube hits than Invisible and The Miracle (obviously). People were into that song. I'd venture to say it's been U2's most popular new song in the past 10 years. Perhaps it would've been best to launch an album on the back of Ordinary Love? We'll never know...

Personally, I don't find Ordinary Love that remarkable, but there's one mix I return to once in while - the Interscope Promo mix. Give it a listen if you haven't yet:

Despite I love Ordinary Love very much and I think it is one of the best songs they have ever made, I don´t think it is a good idea to let public succes direct you. This kind of thinking is artist´s worst enemy and U2 experienced that already. ATYCLB is an example...

So while I certainly believe that Guy Oseary has done a piss poor job, and that signing on a guy who's other main client was another aging icon doing a fairly poor and embarrassing job of hanging onto past glories wasn't the wisest of decisions.

But it's on the band note than anything. They have control of everything they do. No decision is made without their input. They've always wanted to be the biggest thing going, and are incapable of realizing a world where this is not possible.

It's admirable and foolish in the same breath.

The album release could have gone so much better. A surprise release would have been big, but it's been done. A free release would have been big, but it's been done. They needed to be bigger than everyone. This has to be an event. Everyone will want to hear this, because we are U2.

Alas, they flew a bit too close to the sun on this one.

This...

Someone pull Paul McGuiness from dinner

I just pray to God that the Fallon performance won't be the last for invisible. It has the potential to be incredible live imo.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It was innovative, it was courageous, it was generous.
It was absolutely not any of these things. It was not innovative (it's been done), it was not courageous (it was desperate, there's a big difference), and whether or not it's generous is sort of irrelevant 150 million albums and however many world tours later.

The reaction was exactly what I thought it would be when they released it like this. They've been a punchline for years, and they served up an unprecedented amount of fodder.

Yes, this kind of reaction sums it up. It´s all about nonsense negativity when there is no reason for negativity. If you are upset about music, it is perfectly fine. But this is ridiculous.

Maybe people are now more aware that they have the automatic download option turned on. I don't, so I had to hit the "free" button on itunes. And I think whoever talked about these people complaining about a free U2 album, but not really giving a shit about NSA spying is spot on.

So much butthurt....

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Maybe people are now more aware that they have the automatic download option turned on. I don't, so I had to hit the "free" button on itunes. And I think whoever talked about these people complaining about a free U2 album, but not really giving a shit about NSA spying is spot on.

So much butthurt....

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Same, I actually had a hard time downloading it as I had to login to my apple account and didn't even have a clue what my login and pw were. :lol: And then I couldn't find the download button, so it took quite a while before I finally had it.

:shrug:

I used to work at two different places that worked with and sold iPads, and

A. You'd be surprised how many people don't know that kind of simple shit and

B. All of the ones I've ever worked with either had dummy apple demo accounts that never downloaded anything or no iTunes account connected at all. Maybe this was the case at your work.

:shrug:

Same, I actually had a hard time downloading it as I had to login to my apple account and didn't even have a clue what my login and pw were. :lol: And then I couldn't find the download button, so it took quite a while before I finally had it.

Entirely my experience, I had to actually work (a bit frantically, I might add) to get the album. I don't allow any automatic updates, I mean, which self-respecting paranoid anti-establishment tech user does?

Sent from my ass crack

The strongest impression about Apple backlash is that it is unbelievable how stupid can people be. It was a wonderful step done by U2. It was innovative, it was courageous, it was generous. It was a great idea to promote their new album. Great deal with Apple, great opportunity to make some hype.

It was all of those things and I think if a younger / more "hip"/ critical darling artist had done it they would be praised to high heavens. Beyonce or Radiohead come to mind with their own releases.

That may be but Ordinary love is U2 at it most Coldplay-ish. Invisible is far more interesting.

Who knows what would have worked at their age though ? They tried to rawk with Boots/Miracle, tried a pop song with CT/Ordinary love, anthemic U2 with EBW/Magnificent.

It was all of those things and I think if a younger / more "hip"/ critical darling artist had done it they would be praised to high heavens. Beyonce or Radiohead come to mind with their own releases.

Neither of those artists, nor Jay Z, had it setup where the album was put into every person's library automatically. This is where all comparisons to any other artist's surprise and/or free album release ends.

U2 took heat for the album being put into everyone's purchase history whether they wanted it or not. This is what led to tens of millions of automatic downloads.

If this one aspect of the release wasn't included, there would not have been a backlash whatsoever.

And you can bet your ass that if a Kanye West or a Justin Bieber or Jay Z had done this, there would have been an uproar. It may have come from a different demographic... less Pitchfork more Fox News... but it would have been a huge story. Perhaps a bigger story.

That may be but Ordinary love is U2 at it most Coldplay-ish. Invisible is far more interesting.

Who knows what would have worked at their age though ? They tried to rawk with Boots/Miracle, tried a pop song with CT/Ordinary love, anthemic U2 with EBW/Magnificent.

Please share with me the Coldplay song that Ordinary Love sounds like.

Please. I'm fucking begging you.

Entirely my experience, I had to actually work (a bit frantically, I might add) to get the album. I don't allow any automatic updates, I mean, which self-respecting paranoid anti-establishment tech user does?

Sent from my ass crack

Which sane person with a basic knowledge on computer technology does? :wink: I never allow iTunes to auto update, if I do it'll force Quicktime down my throat as you manually have to deny that one as well. I barely even update my iTunes at all, no need to. So I had to update iTunes before I could actually use the store. :lol: Meanwhile FB and Interf were exploding with new U2 stuff and I couldn't hear it!

Please share with me the Coldplay song that Ordinary Love sounds like.

Please. I'm fucking begging you.

One band can sound like another without sounding like a particular fucking song.

One person can hear a similarity that you don't. Please understand that. I'm fucking begging you.

One band can sound like another without sounding like a particular fucking song.

One person can hear a similarity that you don't. Please understand that. I'm fucking begging you.

Right.

Cause I was addressing you, as opposed to a poster who consistently makes the same statement without ever backing it up.

But to your point? Ummmm, no. Actually not. Even the trollolololololing argument that the acoustic version of Every Breaking Wave sounds like Adele has a specific song that he points to, and has at least a semi argument that yes, it does have similarities to the song.

Ordinary Love has an organ. A keyed instrument in a song doesn't make it a Coldplay rewrite. It doesn't sound like any Coldplay song, album or era. If it does, and I'm missing something, I'd really like the person who made the original post to inform of exactly how, beyond having a keyed instrument, it sounds like Coldplay.

But thanks.

Ordinary Love has an organ. A keyed instrument in a song doesn't make it a Coldplay rewrite. It doesn't sound like any Coldplay song, album or era. If it does, and I'm missing something, I'd really like the person who made the original post to inform of exactly how, beyond having a keyed instrument, it sounds like Coldplay.

Lost! has an organ part, but it's pretty darn prominent when compared to Ordinary Love's. Otherwise, I'm at a loss on comparisons too...

Back
Top Bottom