'One' Video Buffalo Version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
So I was just fiddling around with the Best of 90-00 DVD, and I noticed that only two versions of 'One' appear to be on it. Was the Buffalo version not included on it at all?

No, it's not on there. It's pretty dull, really. (And yes, I am familiar with the significance behind the imagery.)

madonna's child said:
No, it's not on there. It's pretty dull, really. (And yes, I am familiar with the significance behind the imagery.)

What significance is that? I mean, I have an interpretation of that video that happens to mean a lot to me, but I'm always curious to learn what other peoples' interpretations are.

My interpretation is that all the buffalo that are running around the fields, are symbolic of humans running around the field of life, and that all humans, regardless of race, color, religion, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, sex, etc etc, look exactly the same on the inside, and that sameness on the inside is symbolized as the sameness on the outside, in the herd of buffalo that look exactly the same. Within that interpretation, I think it is one of the great symbolic videos of all time.

Anyway, how do you see it?

Last edited:
I see it as some of the buffalo have bad vision and fall over a cliff. :ohmy:

Ok seriously, i see it more like these buffalo represent people who have to care for one another and love each other and sometimes some of us lose our way (aids, drugs, emotional problems) and some people love them so much (family friends, lovers) that they will fall off that cliff too to save them or die with them because they love them so much.

My advice to anybody who doesn't like that video, turn off all the lights and watch it again. ;)

I was pissed off that the bison version wasn't included. I like it just as much as the other 2 versions. And it's pretty dumb that they used imagery from that video for the cover art of the Best of 90-00 packaging but didn't even include it on the DVD! I also can't believe it doesn't include the other version of UTEOTW and Love Is Blindness.

That version of the video was used as an AIDS benefit. So I've always assumed that the buffalo were the millions of people living with AIDS who were slowly advancing toward that ultimate cliff (death).

:shrug: I like all the versions and I would have liked to see that one on there.

I actually like that version. No, it's not the most exciting music video ever made, but it does really make me listen to"One" as no music video has done before. I paid more attention to the music and lyrics while watching that video then I did listening to it on the album or the radio. And the images used only makes it more powerful.

Edit to add for any one who may not know, the buffalo version is included on the Achtung Baby Interference tape.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom