on Danger Mouse's production

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On another band, I was kinda like, "meh" to the sound of Joe Newman's singing. But I got over it and love Alt-J nonetheless.

And thanks for mention, makes me feel wanted.

Yeah, that happens sometimes. Happened to me with Waylon Jennings.

That lead singer for that LA band PAPA has a good baritone too. And he's the drummer omg.

I would be surprised if Danger Mouse doesn't lead Bono down the path of more vocal restrain.

That's exactly what it was, and what it was intended to be. A snide remark. Self-contained. It was a statement, asking no questions. No further discussion necessary. Snark does beg further comment, I realize, but I really didn't want to turn this into a discussion about The National, as that's what The National's thread is for.

As an aside, it makes me sad how often we disagree, as 95% of the songs you post, I actually really enjoy/have enjoyed for quite some time.

Well, my going into The National thread and saying they suck would be ultimate douche. They're enjoying themselves talking 'bout records they like.

Adding to this conversation, I find that I no longer need to mentally prepare myself to hear Tom Waits sing. It's like slipping into an old shoe now.

Well, my going into The National thread and saying they suck would be ultimate douche. They're enjoying themselves talking 'bout records they like.

That's true. I suppose what I'm getting at is that I wasn't looking for an argument. My apologies for extending it beyond what was necessary.

No, I like it. Silky is the right word. But it took me a few listens.

Now ask me about The National.

OK. Should Danger Mouse produce the National? #fullcircle

That line Cobbler posted comes from a National song. I believe he meant it tongue-in-cheek.

OK. Should Danger Mouse produce the National? #fullcircle

No. The National has as Alt-Country meets quiet ShoeGaze meets early REM vibe - I don't think Danger Mouse would be comfortable in this territory.

The last thing I want to hear on The National's next album is a bunch of funky bleeps and whistles (looking at your Broken Bells)

I love Matt Berninger's voice.

lol @ the Darkness being better than the National in "every way." There are these things called lyrics.
:up:

The National have now made 4 GREAT albums in a row. A feat my beloved U2 has not accomplished.

But I can understand they are not for everyone. I don't see The National as a top 5 grossing band - which is fine with me. They seemed to have found comfort in the medium scale success, and that's perfect for a 4AD band like this. I wish REM had stayed in the same "range".

BTW: I took 7 other people to the recent concert at the Greek - and none of them had heard of the National before. Each of them came away saying "wow, that singer!".

How does this relate to U2? I would love to hear a more subtle album like Trouble Will Find Me, focusing on the deep/scared aspects of Bono's voice (like late Sinatra/Cash) as well as distant atmospherics from Edge (enough ear piercing chimes for a bit) along with a groovy rhythm section (think Achtung Baby).

Maybe the new one will sound like that :love:

If we're going by previous DM projects, hopefully it's more Rome than El Camino. Just suits U2 better.

I'm more interested to hear him 5-10 years from now looking back on this experience, when he's willing to tell how horrible it was. The guy has been working with them since 2010. I'd think he'd be ready to pull his hair out.

The positive thing about the band is that the music is always fresh and ahead of itself, they don't tend to hold onto musical ideas for much longer than a year (ie Numb) before releasing or trashing it. I think they will be in their element and in fine form with DM. Ahead of the industry musically? Perhaps. But then again, it may be a 90s rock throwback with the textured guitar, funky rhythm section and of course, the undercut hair.

The positive thing about the band is that the music is always fresh and ahead of itself,
I would say this is true until ATYCLB. When the general public rejected POP, they seemed to have settled into the notion that U2 needs to do what they do best (reclaim World's Biggest Band Title). I think this worked for many songs - and to be honest I throw in HTDAAB quite often. But I RARELY throw in NLOH - it just did not survive the test of time at all. It seems like they tried to pull in every sound that ever worked on every album and played it alongside Bono's horrendous lyrics. The album reminds of the last three Star Wars movies - looks great but filled with godawful dialogue and too many Jar Jar moments (Cockatoo/Candy Floss/Spit/Password/ATM Machine...).

I would say this is true until ATYCLB. When the general public rejected POP, they seemed to have settled into the notion that U2 needs to do what they do best (reclaim World's Biggest Band Title). I think this worked for many songs - and to be honest I throw in HTDAAB quite often. But I RARELY throw in NLOH - it just did not survive the test of time at all. It seems like they tried to pull in every sound that ever worked on every album and played it alongside Bono's horrendous lyrics. The album reminds of the last three Star Wars movies - looks great but filled with godawful dialogue and too many Jar Jar moments (Cockatoo/Candy Floss/Spit/Password/ATM Machine...).

Great post I agree 100%... I don't know anything of The Nationals though, I will have to look them up.

I don't know anything of The Nationals though, I will have to look them up.

A quiet but great song from their new album. This is not their official video - but it has the lyrics below it. While I don't want U2 to sound exactly like this - but I would like to see them make an album in this "spirit" - more So Cruel than MoFo. Bono's aging voice would work well with songs like this...

The National - Slipped - YouTube

Slipped is an odd choice for introducing someone to The National, albeit a solid song. I'd look up Mistaken for Strangers or Apartment Story as a beginner song.

Slipped is an odd choice for introducing someone to The National, albeit a solid song. I'd look up Mistaken for Strangers or Apartment Story as a beginner song.

True. Slipped was an example of the production style I would like to see for U2. Mistaken for Strangers is probably a better introduction to the National:

The National - Mistaken For Strangers - YouTube

My friend played Available for me to introduce me to them, and I dug it. I'm not crazy about them, but they're a solid band.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom