Official listing of tracks from u2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thelaj said:
Still, that would make U2 the first band to include a Best-of only release on a later Best-of?
is it really classed as being a "best of"? as it is only a complilation of singles? plus i havent actually heard the term "best of" used offcially?

thelaj said:
I also find it faintly amusing that a "throwaway" from BO8090 ( Sweetest Thing ) is now considered well known enough to be on a further compilation. Have any other artists had this happen, or do we have a U2 first on our hands?

Nope. The Cure released a new single, "Wrong Number," with their 1997 compilation album "Galore." The track later appeared on their 2001 CD, "Greatest Hits."

Ah well, U2 #2 best again... just as they will be to Oasis!

Oh well... Roll on the DVD. Does that have the same release date?

:mad: Criminy people...everyone is SOOOO critical about this! Who cares if it has one song over another? I agree with every song on there, and although it does not include several of my favorites, it is their most popular line-up of "commercial singles." This compilation was not created "just for you," it was created to catch the widest audience possible! These guys are in the business of selling records, it's their profession. They will select a compilation that they - not YOU - feel will sell the most records.

All these songs - I Will Follow, Bad, Stay, etc. - they're great songs, but I don't necessarily think they belong on a "singles" compilation. "Stay" was a single, but it peaked at 61 and left the charts after only 13 weeks (US Billboard). "I Will Follow" only managed a peak of 81 and stuck around for five weeks! Bad was never released as a single! There are curious choices (Elevation & Walk On) that could have been replaced by songs that were FAR more successful on the charts (Angel of Harlem; Even Better Than the Real Thing; Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me; Staring at the Sun), but, we're not the band and we don't have a say in it.

And if you've read ANYTHING about these four men, I'm sure they spent WEEKS and WEEKS arguing over the play list.

They are not "screwing" the "real" fans. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard! This band has gotten to the point where it's going to get harder and harder to put together a "best of" record. Try doing that with the Beatles, or the Rolling Stones. Those records would have to be 35 tracks deep! U2 is in the same boat, and it's glorious!

Besides, the greatest thing is, there is one new song on there, and I guarantee that is the main reason most of you will be up early on the 20th to go out and buy this record. A new U2 song, produced by Rick Rubin and recorded in Abbey Road studios!?!? Are you freakin' kidding me? That's worth the cost of a double-disc set right there!

And if we all notice the patterns of the band over the last few years, this release can only mean that the next album is right around the corner. They're just buying time.

So quit your bitching about your favorite song not being there. Put together your very own personal "U2-18," tag all of them with the same album name and even make up your own cover...that's the magic of the digital music file and the iPod.

Of course, it better be played on a U2 iPod or a Red (iPod) Nano.:wink:

U2girl said:
"U218 Singles is the first single disc collection to span the band’s career from Boy (1980) to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (2004)"

:huh: Yet it's missing anything from four albums. :down:

edit: I Will Follow (UK bonus track)

Where did you get the UK Bonus track info?

pmickey said:
:mad: Criminy people...everyone is SOOOO critical about this! Who cares if it has one song over another? I agree with every song on there, and although it does not include several of my favorites, it is their most popular line-up of "commercial singles." This compilation was not created "just for you," it was created to catch the widest audience possible! These guys are in the business of selling records, it's their profession. They will select a compilation that they - not YOU - feel will sell the most records.

All these songs - I Will Follow, Bad, Stay, etc. - they're great songs, but I don't necessarily think they belong on a "singles" compilation. "Stay" was a single, but it peaked at 61 and left the charts after only 13 weeks (US Billboard). "I Will Follow" only managed a peak of 81 and stuck around for five weeks! Bad was never released as a single! There are curious choices (Elevation & Walk On) that could have been replaced by songs that were FAR more successful on the charts (Angel of Harlem; Even Better Than the Real Thing; Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me; Staring at the Sun), but, we're not the band and we don't have a say in it.

And if you've read ANYTHING about these four men, I'm sure they spent WEEKS and WEEKS arguing over the play list.

They are not "screwing" the "real" fans. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard! This band has gotten to the point where it's going to get harder and harder to put together a "best of" record. Try doing that with the Beatles, or the Rolling Stones. Those records would have to be 35 tracks deep! U2 is in the same boat, and it's glorious!

Besides, the greatest thing is, there is one new song on there, and I guarantee that is the main reason most of you will be up early on the 20th to go out and buy this record. A new U2 song, produced by Rick Rubin and recorded in Abbey Road studios!?!? Are you freakin' kidding me? That's worth the cost of a double-disc set right there!

And if we all notice the patterns of the band over the last few years, this release can only mean that the next album is right around the corner. They're just buying time.

So quit your bitching about your favorite song not being there. Put together your very own personal "U2-18," tag all of them with the same album name and even make up your own cover...that's the magic of the digital music file and the iPod.

Chill out mate :uhoh:

You talk like if you belong to U2 team :eyebrow:

That sentence "A new U2 song, produced by Rick Rubin and recorded in Abbey Road studios!?!? Are you freakin' kidding me? That's worth the cost of a double-disc set right there!" say it all.

With today's technology no one would bother in spending the money of a CD+DVD set because of a single song :shrug: specially considering the unforgivable lack of quality selection criteria. Most of us won't buy the album because of a bloody new song, that would be a suicide. I'd download the song for free as I already did with Saints Are Coming.

Even fans have downloaded the full video and transfered to a higher quality format.

The Saints Are Coming weren't a worthy song (nowhere near) for buying an album, and I do believe the new song won't be either (I can`t expect Please, Bad, Running To Stand Still, etc from those uninspired Beach Clips songs). Anyway, if the song would be worthy, the tracklist is already so terrible and unexcusable that it's quite possible that most of long time fans like us won't buy this absurd compilation. That probably will annoys you, specially considering your U2 team like words, but if you want to fight against that, please ask the band to release something decent at least and ask them to stop demanding fans to fill U2 pockets for nothing.

"from Boy to HTDAAB"... :down:

pmickey said:

Totally agree with you 100%!

U2 aren't demanding that ****fans**** fill their pockets. This compilation is aimed at people who look at the tracklisting and say "hey yeah, i recognise (and enjoy) those tunes". It is NOT aimed at people who look and say "hell no, this disc has the truncated edit of New Year's Day and revisionist Mysterious Ways".

U2 realise that hardcore fans will buy anything, so they are giving them something half-decent by including the Milan DVD. For the casual fans, the Milan DVD is an "add value" proposition.

Last edited:
So, do guys think we'll get the album editions of songs that had remixed versions for the singles, such as Walk On?

what a joke. they don't have enough new material for a full album by the time the Christmas sales start to come around, so they sell their old songs agian! happy birthday Jesus, i'm sorry your party is so lame.

randy5554 said:
So, do guys think we'll get the album editions of songs that had remixed versions for the singles, such as Walk On?

Logically, we should get the single remixes, otherwise it would make a mockery of the title 18 SINGLES. However, this is the band who gave us remixes on 1990-2000 A-Side!

discothequeLP said:
what a joke. they don't have enough new material for a full album by the time the Christmas sales start to come around, so they sell their old songs agian! happy birthday Jesus, i'm sorry your party is so lame.

Why would they release a new album when they are obligated to release this as they leave their label?

discothequeLP said:

The highschool crowd hasn't been very happy with our product lately

You can't blame them, they want new material

Our stuff's been repeated too many times
You can't sell the same thing to the same old crowd forever

:wink:

I truly cannot get my head round why The Fly is not on this CD. It's as big a part of U2's history as any of the other songs on the album (and it's better than most of them).

:huh:

the tracklisting is not necessarily about quality of the songs. its about their most recognizable and biggest chart topping hits.

discotheque is probably my favorite song, but if you played a group of 20 'casual' fans or random people discotheque and asked them who it was, im betting most wouldn't know. if you played them elevation or stuck in a moment, they would have a better chance of knowing and would likely recognize one of them. both songs are more well known now than the fly. does that make them better than the fly? no. the fly is better than both of them, but the point of the cd was to use their biggest hits, which is why the omission of pop and zooropa is present- their biggest hits didn't come off those albums even if some of those albums produced some of their best work, which i think they did. we already have all their work and all their albums (ok well 99.9% of us do) so this CD is NOT geared towards us. they tried to satiate us as well with window in the skies and the saints are coming along with the milan DVD for the "HARDCORE XTREME FANS", but overall this release is not for people on interference.

1stepcloser said:
I truly cannot get my head round why The Fly is not on this CD. It's as big a part of U2's history as any of the other songs on the album (and it's better than most of them).

:huh:
Because it is "weird" and despite being a UK #1, people don't remember it.

Basically: Joe Average want to hear the U2 they see in their heads, not actual U2.

thelaj said:

Because it is "weird" and despite being a UK #1, people don't remember it.

Basically: Joe Average want to hear the U2 they see in their heads, not actual U2.

In America they do. (Remember The Fly.)

Last edited:
StlElevation said:
the tracklisting is not necessarily about quality of the songs. its about their most recognizable and biggest chart topping hits.

discotheque is probably my favorite song, but if you played a group of 20 'casual' fans or random people discotheque and asked them who it was, im betting most wouldn't know. if you played them elevation or stuck in a moment, they would have a better chance of knowing and would likely recognize one of them. both songs are more well known now than the fly. does that make them better than the fly? no. the fly is better than both of them, but the point of the cd was to use their biggest hits, which is why the omission of pop and zooropa is present- their biggest hits didn't come off those albums even if some of those albums produced some of their best work, which i think they did. we already have all their work and all their albums (ok well 99.9% of us do) so this CD is NOT geared towards us. they tried to satiate us as well with window in the skies and the saints are coming along with the milan DVD for the "HARDCORE XTREME FANS", but overall this release is not for people on interference.

I STILL don't see how Walk On and Elevation qualify as "hits" oh well.....

They do what?

EDIT: oh remember....i see, well I see no evidence to support that. The fact it wasn't on the US BO90-2000, nor this would seem to disagree with your opinion.

As for Elevation, this is frequently played at sports events etc, but I can take your point about Walk On, I very rarely hear that on radio.

walk on won record of the year at the grammy's and widely recognizeable especially after 9/11.

elevation is used a LOT in sport events and other shit in the US as well. and even if it weren't, people would remember it for the woo-woo's. whether you love the song or hate the song or find it somewhere in between, it's undeniably more recognizable to the normal, non crazy u2 fan than the fly or staring at the sun or last night on earth or city of blinding lights for that matter.

Why the hell is "Sweetest Thing" — a b-side/greatest hits single — on there over anything from "Pop" or "Zooropa"?

This is messed up.

again, because people KNOW the sweetest thing more than anything off of pop or zooropa- it doesn't mean that it's BETTER than anything off of that. i think the first description of the album was that it was going to collcet their most popular songs or greatest hits or whatever? nothing off of pop or zooropa fits that bill.

would it have been nice if they included discotheque or lemon or zooropa itself? yeah, sure. but that wasn't the point of this album.

StlElevation said:
they tried to satiate us as well with window in the skies and the saints are coming along with the milan DVD for the "HARDCORE XTREME FANS", but overall this release is not for people on interference.

if the DVD is for the HARDCORE EXTREME FANS they did a lousy job of picking the tracklist as they picked the biggest hits rather than the best songs for that as well. (see no Electric Co, Zoo Station, or The Fly)

I think with the DVD, they wanted to please the hardcore fans but ended up pandering to the casual market as well. That made it a bit of a muddle.

when releasing a best of a band really has two ways to go with it. release a cd with their biggest, most well known hits, or release a cd with their best music. if you go with the first you will sell the most cds, if you go with the second you'll expose the audience to your best music.

considering how much money u2 already has, and considering they are only releasing this album to get out of their last contract, you would think they wouldn't care as much about album sales and would rather focus on getting their best music out there, but i guess that isn't the case.

Chizip said:
when releasing a best of a band really has two ways to go with it. release a cd with their biggest, most well known hits, or release a cd with their best music. if you go with the first you will sell the most cds, if you go with the second you'll expose the audience to your best music.

considering how much money u2 already has, and considering they are only releasing this album to get out of their last contract, you would think they wouldn't care as much about album sales and would rather focus on getting their best music out there, but i guess that isn't the case.

I guess what I find confusing then is that I don't feel they did go entirely with their biggest most-well-known hits.

I know this is a VERY debatable question, but allowing that there is some room for debate, I don't understand why they would make one album (ATYCLB) pretty much redundant by including it's 4 singles and then NOT try to sell any casual fans on one or two other albums. Including Stay WOULD help sell copies of Zooropa. Including Please WOULD push Pop.

I don't just disagree with the setlist for aesthetic reasons, but also from a business perspective.

Niceman said:

I know this is a VERY debatable question, but allowing that there is some room for debate, I don't understand why they would make one album (ATYCLB) pretty much redundant by including it's 4 singles and then NOT try to sell any casual fans on one or two other albums. Including Stay WOULD help sell copies of Zooropa. Including Please WOULD push Pop.

Good point

It's still not a perfect disc, but how much better would this be than what is being offered? And these are not strange or unknown songs that I'm switching in, just Please and Stay;

1. Beautiful Day
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3. Pride (in The Name Of Love)
4. With Or Without You
5. Vertigo
6. New Year’s Day
7. Mysterious Ways
8. Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of
9. Where The Streets Have No Name
10. Sweetest Thing
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. One
13. Desire
14. Stay (Far Away, So Close)
15. Please
16. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
17. The Saints Are Coming
18. Window In The Skies

Niceman said:

I guess what I find confusing then is that I don't feel they did go entirely with their biggest most-well-known hits.

I don't just disagree with the setlist for aesthetic reasons, but also from a business perspective.

I think they'd much rather have the new album sell a lot more albums than older album sales picking up slightly. The new album is the most relevant one to the current music scene, and if it has huge sales then they can say, see, we still are the biggest band in the world.

Chizip said:

I think they'd much rather have the new album sell a lot more albums than older album sales picking up slightly. The new album is the most relevant one to the current music scene, and if it has huge sales then they can say, see, we still are the biggest band in the world.

I guess the assumption then is that the album will sell more copies with Elevation and Walk On on it than any other singles U2 has ever had?

I don't see that as being probably...or even likely to be correct.

U2 is a HUGELY popular band. They have a lot of songs in the catalogue that people, even casual listeners love.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom