Official Cricket 11/12 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything that's happening to domestic Australian cricket is so utterly depressing.

Michael Hussey's out of the Aussie World Cup squad because he won't be fit for the first couple of matches. There goes the most likeable member of the team.

Of course this doesn't give Hodge a look-in to the team. Callum Ferguson seems a decent replacement though. Krejza for Hauritz is a much more questionable decision.

Yeah, that's what I really don't get about him being dropped. Symonds carried an injury into the last World Cup; why not Huss this time? This shit about using the same fifteen for the whole tournament just boggles the mind. The other fourteen guys can easily handle the start of the tournament until Hussey is ready to play - and save the day for Australia yet again.

By the way, how the hell does Steve Smith have an assured place in the team now? He's totally useless! He's an all-rounder only in the sense that he's mediocre all-round.

I should be happy about how poor the Aussie team looks on paper, since I always enjoy seeing them get flogged and it'd be a massive nail in the ODI World Cup's coffin if Australia walked away with a fourth consecutive Cup, but I'm just utterly baffled by Hilditch & Co.'s selections. Plus I feel bad for Hussey, since this would've been his final Cup.

Yeah. Hussey should have been in the squad. The schedule is kind of long and it gives plenty of time for the players to recover. Perhaps a bit too long. Gorups of seven with three relatively weaker sides makes no sense. Maybe they think that the sponsors will be fucked if India is knocked out in the group stages. Really, the current format doesn't give any realistic chance to the weaker sides.

england are a joke

i think aussies can make it 4 on the trot. I think they can do it, now England have filled them with confidence

So, warm-up games.

- Indian bowlers embarrass Australia.
- New Zealand unconvincing against IRELAND.
- South Africa pisses all over Zimbabwe in the shock of the century.
- "Bang vs Can" abbreviation = amusing.

If you really think about it, the Cricket World is completely pointless in the Group stages

It only gets interesting in the Quarter final stages onwards

Anyway heres hoping for a better tournament than the last one, I lost all interest in 2007 World cup

Well, India's left nobody in doubt of their intentions!

Can't wait to see New Zealand blow it against Zimbabwe today. :slant:

And bah, only Australian matches on free-to-air here. Love that narrow-minded broadcasting parochialism. Never mind using the digital channels that nobody fucking watches to broadcast a few other matches that might be of interest to both Australia's rather large migrant community and cricket fans in general. I'm sure the three old dears who tune in for re-runs of I Dream Of Jeannie can cope with it not being on a few times in the coming month.

^ i was hoping that's what the digital channels would be used for, considering each channel's got about fucking four of them. but no :|

this incidentally is the anniversary of Australia losing to Zimbabwe in Zim's first ODI.

The only network that's been decent about using a digital channel for sport is Ten with One HD, and of course Nine's hogging the cricket rights so no luck there. But at least today on One HD we can see such top-notch sport as powerboating! :happy:

Remember how the digital channels were launched with all kinds of promises of more sport? I'm glad I didn't believe them, or else I'd be feeling quite let down right now.

We've got Foxtel and its massive chequebook to blame for a lot.

I'm close to caving in and just getting Foxtel.

Let's pretend that earlier I didn't mistakenly claim we're playing Zimbabwe. Though I imagine the Zimbabwe game coming up will go about the same way as this. At least we know Guptill's on form?

What a great warm-up for Friday's encounter with Australia. Can't wait to see us lose by 100 runs ...!

Fucking hell, we win by 10 wickets and it took us just EIGHT OVERS. Even in years when our form was better, I don't know if I quite would've expected us to roll Kenya this thoroughly.

Shock of shocks, Sri Lanka pissed on Canada to the tune of 210 runs.

cobl04 said:
can i just take this moment to say the 03 world cup was fucking awesome?

Really?

Kenya reaching the Semi-Finals essentially on account of one upset win over Sri Lanka, "winning" one match due to a New Zealand forfeiture.

They were bollocks otherwise, destroyed by South Africa early on and later by India in the Semi.

Zimbabwe progressing to the Super Six on account of the Poms forfeiting and a no result against Pakistan in the group stage.

A one-sided final and a Semi that was complicated by Duckworth-Lewis.

I recall it being a farcical tournament, that only appears decent when held up against the joke that was West Indies 2007.

Dave Warner made 99 off 178 (!!!!!!!!) balls against the Vics. And the forgotten man Jacques made tons in both innings.

Really?

Kenya reaching the Semi-Finals essentially on account of one upset win over Sri Lanka, "winning" one match due to a New Zealand forfeiture.

They were bollocks otherwise, destroyed by South Africa early on and later by India in the Semi.

Zimbabwe progressing to the Super Six on account of the Poms forfeiting and a no result against Pakistan in the group stage.

A one-sided final and a Semi that was complicated by Duckworth-Lewis.

I recall it being a farcical tournament, that only appears decent when held up against the joke that was West Indies 2007.

I don't remember any of those events. :lol: I was 13, it was my first world cup, it was on during early hours of the morning, it was back when I loved Australia being successful... what can I say good memories.

1999 is the first World Cup I really remember, though no doubt I watched 1992 and 1996 (funny that I don't really recall 1996, because the heartbreak of the 1995 Rugby World Cup's final is still all too real for me today). Inte's right about 2003 being farcical, though I still enjoyed it at the time - New Zealand's early elimination via forfeiture notwithstanding. I can't say the same about 2007; perhaps the worst sporting tournament I have ever followed. It's either that or the 2010 Commonwealth Games anyway.

Not sure how I feel about 2015 being cut to ten teams, and I see the associate countries are livid. As they should be! They just are not getting any game time against good opposition; the World Cup is the only place, even though they get hammered. If they at least got some consistent gametime beyond the World Cup, they may be more competitive at Cup time! Bangladesh proves this point. Kenya, Ireland, Holland, and Canada aren't going to get any better if they just keep playing each other.

We need some regular tournaments, like how the rugby has the Six Nations and Tri-Nations; notice how much better Italy has become ever since it was admitted to the former. Why not a triangular Ireland/England/Netherlands tournament? South Africa/Zimbabwe/Kenya would be even more competitive. At the very least, get the minnows playing Bangladesh and New Zealand more often! The minnows could hold their own against them. And to be honest, if Australia had a series against a minnow country, they could field a "lesser" team of young talent that desperately needs to come through and replace the dead wood of the present team in all its fading glory.

/rant

Anybody following the Australia vs Zimbabwe game by other methods? I'll spolier-tag this in case anybody's staying up:

Man, the Zimbabwean bowlers are starting really, really well. 13 overs in and the Aussie run rate is under 3 an over.

But how unlucky was Utseya to not get Haddin! Ball hits the stumps but bails not dislodged.

And oh shit, 14th over and the Aussies pick up 17 runs. Suddenly the run rate's up to 3.5. The start of a flogging or just a bad over from Mpofu, from whom runs previously were almost impossible to get? Guess I'll find out in the morning, since I'm turning in for the night ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom