NLOTH set for Number 1 here in the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Soundscan era close to 100 percent of album sales are counted but there will always be a slight inaccuracy. So since 1991 everything is pretty accurate compaired to where it used to be thats why a lot of older artists sales are inflated.

physical version or competing with the amazon download price of £4.50 ? Mike:wave:

I bought both...$3.99 downloadable from Amazon in the US and Reg CD pkg from Target for $8.99. Not bad...$13.00 for both, and the Amazon downloadable is much better quality than you can get re-coding the cd to mp3 yourself using Nero.

No, I agree with you... but it is important to have a frame of reference.

Of course the poms would back their own. They even made Oasis and Blur fashionable even though they are utter rubbish.

First week sales from Australia revealed.

U2 Vs Coldplay The Battle of the Wankers Continues | undercover.com.au, Music, News, Entertainment

Chris Martin`s Coldplay has delivered a deadly blow to Bono’s U2 after first week sales in Australia revealed that Viva La Viva figures had romped in over No Line On The Horizon sales.

The U2 album debuted at number one in Australia today with a not too shabby showing of 29,963 sales in the past week.

Coldplay Viva La Vida sold 41,041 units in week one in Australia. That is a major gap between the two in-battle superacts.

Bono brought the Coldplay vs U2 battle into the public arena when he called Chris Martin a wanker and a cretin a few weeks ago on the BBC.

Martin responded to Bono’s poorly chosen comments via the Australian stage in Melbourne earlier this week when he said, “I have been putting up with shit from Bono for years”.

Bono is obviously nervous that the U2 torch may be about to pass to Coldplay before he wants to let it go.

Based on sales out of Australia and projected sales for later this week in the USA, Coldplay is now more popular than U2.

No Line On The Horizon is expected to sell around 400k-450k this week in America according to Hitsdailydouble.com

Viva La Vida sold more than 700k in the first week in America.

Given the Australian ratios, the predicted U2 figure for the US looks spot on, and the world would have voted.

And let the battle continue!

Well U2 are officially no.1 in the UK - their 10th number one here (which puts them joint third in the all-time list, behind Elvis and The Beatles). Amazingly, Bomb is the only U2 album to last beyond the first week at the top spot, so it'll be interesting to see how it does next week.

When Coldplay have bagged their 10th Uk no.1 album, then I'll start taking these absurd comparisons seriously.

Suck on that Perez Hilton!

Anywho...I love Coldplay...I really do...

BUT I'M NOT READY TO SEE THE TORCH PASSED...:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I don't understand why Coldplay did so well that first week - I didn't get the impression Violet Hill was a smash hit and didn't realize they were big enough to get huge numbers based on their reputation alone.

Curious to see Canada's numbers for both bands when they come out in a couple days :hmm:

Different demographic audience (much as we care to admit), and different quarter for release. Those two things likely added a good 25-35% in first week sales.

6 months on will really be the tale of the tape, and once the tour starts......

In Australia NLOTH has gone platinum on debut - requiring sales of more than 70,000 copies. So not sure where 29,963 sales came from in the article above?

According to aria.com, it's sales status is equal to, or better than, the latest albums by Killers, Kayne West, Beyonce, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Springsteen and others which have all been on sale for months (in some cases, including the lucrative Christmas period).

After 38 weeks Viva la Vida is triple platium (requiring sales of 210,000).

U2:18 has also re-entered the charts and, like LVL, has achieved triple platinum.

In Australia NLOTH has gone platinum on debut - requiring sales of more than 70,000 copies. So not sure where 29,963 sales came from in the article above?

According to aria.com, it's sales status is equal to, or better than, the latest albums by Killers, Kayne West, Beyonce, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Springsteen and others which have all been on sale for months (in some cases, including the lucrative Christmas period).

U2:18 has also re-entered the charts and, like LVL, has achieved triple platinum.

Hmm, maybe that was Day 1 sales. Poor man was confused.

Platinum on debut most likely means units shipped to stores, not sold to customers. They anticipated that U2 would at least sell 70K units in the next few weeks, so shipping that many was a safe bet. And U2 sold a heartbeat shy of 30K to actual consumers. Not the numbers of Coldplay, but then, can Coldplay do this 25 years from now? And you know the album will get a HUGE boost once U2 tours there.

Plus, while NLOTH was released at the same time of the year as "Viva...", the economy is a LOT different this year as compared to last year, around the world. Based on news stories I've read, Australia has been pretty badly hit by not just the economy but fires. Combine the two and guess where money will be spent? Albums or life? :hmm:

Platinum on debut most likely means units shipped to stores, not sold to customers. They anticipated that U2 would at least sell 70K units in the next few weeks, so shipping that many was a safe bet. And U2 sold a heartbeat shy of 30K to actual consumers. Not the numbers of Coldplay, but then, can Coldplay do this 25 years from now?

I certainly hope not.

Target here had the digipak at $31.99 and the CD at $13.99 maybe that is why people use Amazon etc...?

I heard 400,000 for the US somewhere, down somewhat on '04, but alot has happened since I guess as regards erm... "sharing".

U2's 'Horizon' enters British charts at number one
6 hours ago

LONDON (AFP) — Veteran Irish rock group U2 went straight to the top of Britain's album chart with "No Line On The Horizon" on Sunday, their tenth number-one in a career spanning nearly three decades.

Its success confirms U2 -- whose members are Bono, the Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen -- as one of the top five acts in terms of albums in British recording history.

Elvis Presley and The Beatles are the only other artists who have had more British number-one albums, while U2 are now tied with The Rolling Stones and Madonna on 10.

"No Line On The Horizon" outsold the rest of this week's top five combined and is, in Britain, the fastest-selling album of the year so far.

It knocked The Prodigy's "Invaders Must Die" off the top spot to number two, while Kings Of Leon's "Only By The Night" dropped one place to number three.

Album charts in Britain are compiled by the Official Charts Company, jointly owned by industry groups representing record labels and music retailers. They are based on actual sales of CDs and vinyl discs as well as Internet downloads.

I'm not worried about NLOTH. I hope U2 aren't either. :hyper:

Platinum on debut most likely means units shipped to stores, not sold to customers. They anticipated that U2 would at least sell 70K units in the next few weeks, so shipping that many was a safe bet. And U2 sold a heartbeat shy of 30K to actual consumers. Not the numbers of Coldplay, but then, can Coldplay do this 25 years from now? And you know the album will get a HUGE boost once U2 tours there.

Plus, while NLOTH was released at the same time of the year as "Viva...", the economy is a LOT different this year as compared to last year, around the world. Based on news stories I've read, Australia has been pretty badly hit by not just the economy but fires. Combine the two and guess where money will be spent? Albums or life? :hmm:
This time of the year is the quietest for record sales anyway, regardless of recession. November and December are the traditional maximum sales of CDs etc.

I heard HMV saying even they were surprised, the album had beaten their expectations - not bad in this new digital download age and in the quietest part of the year

Queensland, Tasmania and Western Australia. :wave:

Still the fact that Coldplay will never be a stadium rock band limits their potential in my opinion. I don't think Strawberry Swing is going to blow anybody out of the stadium.

Queensland, Tasmania and Western Australia. :wave:

Still the fact that Coldplay will never be a stadium rock band limits their potential in my opinion. I don't think Strawberry Swing is going to blow anybody out of the stadium.

Queensland, Tassie and WA are not apart of Australia, so they can have Coldplay.

Like I said a couple of weeks ago, there is NO way that U2 will sell more copies of NLOTH than Coldplay did with VLV.

- better first single
- younger band
- no real recession yet in june 2008

U2 will be very lucky if they come even close to the sales of POP which would still be a huge amount of records sold.

Like I said a couple of weeks ago, there is NO way that U2 will sell more copies of NLOTH than Coldplay did with VLV.

- better first single
- younger band
- no real recession yet in june 2008

U2 will be very lucky if they come even close to the sales of POP which would still be a huge amount of records sold.
I dislike all the sales conversations so I'll make this my last post on the subject.

U2 sell in many more markets around the world than Coldplay do, NLOTH has every chance of outselling that record - I think it will in the end.

- better first single

QUOTE]

The first single from VLV was Violet Hill, which wasn't a great smash.

When VLV came out as single, many people assumed it was the first single and the album took off from there...

- better first single

QUOTE]

The first single from VLV was Violet Hill, which wasn't a great smash.

When VLV came out as single, many people assumed it was the first single and the album took off from there...

You are right but I actualy meant a single that was something that the band had not done before. Violet Hill is a weird song but it got some sort of attention because it didnt sound like Yellow if you know what I mean. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom