NLOTH´s real mediocrity trio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love thread titles like this, where someone suggests that a discover they recently made is the truth and we were all wrong about our previously held opinion. "Hey gang, it's OK, I just figured out what part of the album actually sucks, you can go ahead and start enjoying the middle of the album again!"

Hey guys, I just discovered that Streets ACTUALLY sucks!

Sorry that you've wasted all this time thinking otherwise. A lot of time you could have spent listening to Insane Clown Posse instead, who aren't actually that bad, I've found.

Hey guys, I just discovered that Streets ACTUALLY sucks!

Sorry that you've wasted all this time thinking otherwise. A lot of time you could have spent listening to Insane Clown Posse instead, who aren't actually that bad, I've found.

Um, new discoveries like this need new threads. Please follow forum decorum.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well..

SUC isn't "verbal diarrhea " . It's more the opposite. Bono obviously took took time to gather together many of the 'cute' sayings and analogies that had been floating around his head and notepad, and carve them into a series of lyrics that are a little too wordy and , hm, clean. They might make for a decent read on paper, but they don't sound all that great when sung. But it was carefully written and crafted, even if it doesn't quite work as a singable song. More hard nuggets than loose stool.

Yet, you later bring up Breathe, which is far more diarrhea-ish than SUC, but ends up being a better song anyhow, partially because it's more loose. But you dislike Breathe while liking SUC, despite The latter having one of the main qualities you say you dislike about the former. Strange, that.

Also, WAS is a lovely little song, imo. The fact that you dismiss it as a 'rif-off' and therefore not a U2 song is a little bizarre. Do you feel the same way about 40? Unchained Melody? The 'days run away like horses over the hills' lyrics from Dirty Day, or all the lyrics from TGBHF? The hook from DYFL? I guess taking a rare but traditional tune and putting their own spin on it is off-limits, but it's an odd reason to discount the song, given the band's history.

Cedars - you know how U2 likes to close out albums, right?

Sent from my fingertips.

Thanks for your response.

I said about Breathe it sounds so forced that it is anoying and it is overworded, Stand Up has the same problems, but in lower rate, morover for me it has better energy and better hooks, so if I hear it once in a while (okay, once in a month for example:), I can enjoy it, while during Breathe I suffer, especially during the prechoruses and choruses, that feel like they are pushing and pushing too hard...

About 40, Dirty Day, Ground beneath Her Feet - of course not, because it is the lyrics and that is okay

Unchained Melody, White As Snow - not U2 songs, these are covers for me, or reeditions of someone else´s songs at best, I cannot take them seriously as U2 songs

I love how U2 ends their albums - 40, SHadows and Tall Trees, MLK?, Mothers, Love is Blindness, Wanderer, Troubles, I even like Grace. But Cedars? It tries to immitate something serious and important, but for me it delivers nothing

I'm never sure if the people who dislike Cedars so much have ever actually listened to Cedars.

White As Snow = phenomenal
Breathe = garbage
Cedars = meh

White As Snow is so good that it makes up for Breathe. Cedars is just there, I guess. Not great, but not bad.
SUC is still the worst song they've ever recorded.

There are three great tracks on No Line on the Horizon.

They are as follows:
- Magnificent
- White as Snow
- Cedars of Lebanon

So basically I couldn't disagree more with the OP.

I don't know why I'm about to contribute seriously, but clearly I've nothing better to do this morning:

Cedars is one of NLOTH's better songs, but that's not saying much in the grand scheme of things. It's a ho-hum track; the idea behind it is better than the actual song.

I'll defend White As Snow; with Fez, NLOTH, and Magnificent it's one of the four songs from this album I care to occasionally hear. I wish U2 had taken up Willie Williams on his suggestion of doing it in concert as part of a sequence with October and New Year's Day. I was, however, just a little disappointed when I realised that what I thought was "a land as white as snow" is in fact "a lamb".

As for Breathe, I've been a detractor of that song since 2009, but to be honest I hadn't realised (or had forgotten) quite how bad it is until I relistened to NLOTH in full last September for the first time in years. Apart from the fact that it ruins the pacing of the end of the album (Fez/WAS/Cedars works really well) and should've been somewhere on the first half, the whole song is a compositional mess that sounds like garbage - especially those stupid verses about cockatoos and new Asian viruses. So for once I might concur with trollidesco. Wow.

Anyway, NLOTH's "real mediocrity trio" is in fact a mediocrity quartet: Unknown Caller, Crazy Tonight, Boots, Comedy. And of those four, Crazy Tonight has the most redeeming features.

NLOTH track listing should've gone accordingly...
1 Fez
2 Magnificent
3 NLOTH
4 MOS
5 Boots
6 WAS
7 Cedars

A pretty good EP imo. I'm a fan of I'll Go Crazy, but the song feels misplaced on this album. Actually it fits better in SOI than it does NLOTH...but that's just my opinion.
They could then (as a joke, of course) release Breath, SUC, and UC as an additional EP. Totally troll everyone by acting like they had this other good EP and then release that. It'd be hilarious.

I agree that Breathe is trash. I liked it for about 12 hours and thought it was maybe the 2nd or 3rd best song on the album. But there's this strange, voodoo production that U2 have been using over the past few albums, in songs like Breathe, CT, SUC, The Miracle, EBW, where I'll immedately love something for an extremely brief, maybe 2 days at most, period of time, before something happens...like i had been slipped a mickey that makes terrible songs sound amazing, and i come out of the haze going "what is this shit?" Breathe is one of those songs.

As for WAS...it's a haunting tune that stays haunting, and even has a nice climax in the middle, and then goes soft again. The lost art of restraint.

Cedars is pretty mediocre. But I'd take it over the REAL 3 EMBARRASSMENTS. And, yea, toss Breathe into that bin as well.

They could then (as a joke, of course) release Breath, SUC, and UC as an additional EP. Totally troll everyone by acting like they had this other good EP and then release that. It'd be hilarious.

At this stage, U2 releasing a top-notch EP would be the real troll.

But yeah, if I condensed NLOTH into a decent EP, it would be your tracklist sans Boots.

Anyway, NLOTH's "real mediocrity trio" is in fact a mediocrity quartet: Unknown Caller, Crazy Tonight, Boots, Comedy. And of those four, Crazy Tonight has the most redeeming features.
No love for Unknown Caller? I know it gets some flack for its chorus, and I'm not a fan of the opening riff (sounds like Walk On to me). But I do like the birdsong, the bass and drum noodling in the opening, the verses, Edge's solo, and the horns and organ.

No love for Unknown Caller? I know it gets some flack for its chorus, and I'm not a fan of the opening riff (sounds like Walk On to me). But I do like the birdsong, the bass and drum noodling in the opening, the verses, Edge's solo, and the horns and organ.

When I re-listened to NLOTH last September, I hadn't heard Unknown Caller for about three or four years. My memory told me "dodgy chorus but good song overall". I was shocked by how much what I was hearing diverged from that memory - and not in a good way. Practically the whole thing made me wince, from the stupid "sunshine, sunshine" bit at the start right through to the unsatisfying conclusion, and the chorus was even worse than I remembered. Boots and Comedy may cop a lot of flak for their horrendous lyrics, and rightly so, but Unknown Caller is no better (nor is Breathe).

That'd be a joke for a really small (even if sometimes very vocal) group of fans... I think that Breathe and UC are generally very well received among fans, so it wouldn't really work as a joke.

But that comment fits very well with the purpose of the thread. Everybody can make their own joke-EP-weak-trio of NLOTH. Mine would be SUC, Boots and Magnificent.

:sigh:

As for Breathe, I've been a detractor of that song since 2009, but to be honest I hadn't realised (or had forgotten) quite how bad it is until I relistened to NLOTH in full last September for the first time in years. Apart from the fact that it ruins the pacing of the end of the album (Fez/WAS/Cedars works really well) and should've been somewhere on the first half, the whole song is a compositional mess that sounds like garbage - especially those stupid verses about cockatoos and new Asian viruses.
For once, we are in total agreement! :hug:

When I re-listened to NLOTH last September, I hadn't heard Unknown Caller for about three or four years. My memory told me "dodgy chorus but good song overall". I was shocked by how much what I was hearing diverged from that memory - and not in a good way. Practically the whole thing made me wince, from the stupid "sunshine, sunshine" bit at the start right through to the unsatisfying conclusion, and the chorus was even worse than I remembered. Boots and Comedy may cop a lot of flak for their horrendous lyrics, and rightly so, but Unknown Caller is no better (nor is Breathe).
Fair enough. I've listened to Unknown Caller maybe a dozen times in the past few years... I wonder how my perception would be different if I spent a long time away from it, or any U2 song.

Unknown caller in my point of view is an amazing song, I love it, the intro is perhaps a bit too long and the sound of Edge´s guitar in the second verse is something generic I almost cannot believe it everytime I hear it, but otherwise I like it. The structure of the song, even the chorus. Because it is something original in U2 catalogue. I like Edge´s work in the 1st verse and also his solo. I also praise it doesn´t have casual repeated choruses ending and it finishes with that solo with that big organ sounds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom