Nirvana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bastardy

Babyface
I've been getting really into their stuff recently. They were very good. I never realized how introspective and creative Kurt's lyrics were. The instrumentation is also quite affecting, there's something in the way that Cobain used his distorted guitar that really strikes a nerve. Almost all the metal/punk/rock bands that are big today (i.e. Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, Blink182 or whoever) utterly lack the depth and songwriting skills that Nirvana had. It's sad , and strange, but I suppose comforting to think that only a decade ago they ruled the charts and MTV. fishbodies is smelllooking.

pick up some old soundgarden too, like badmotorfinger.

the only new band i like is system of a down.
but then again i'm 24.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

It's OK to eat fish, they don't have any feelings

------------------
If I had a head like yours I'd bleedin' bury it.

This is.. uh... we don't play this tune... gonna be f*cked up!

I liked Nirvana when they were big. I dont have any CDs though... used to have tapes.

I wonder if the band would still be together today if Kurt didnt kill himself.

fortunesmile.gif

------------------
Got The Swing Got The Sway
Got My Straw In Lemonade

Sicy's Website

Creed are good, maybe better.

------------------
"Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

matt2870@hotmail.com

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
I wonder if the band would still be together today if Kurt didnt kill himself.

I really doubt it, Kurt was on his way to burn-out. If he had stuck around for a few more years, the media would have soon turned against him and given him the 'has-been' treatment.

Nirvana was a great band...although while they were together the only really popular album they had was Nevermind. Still, they were the first to really get the whole Seattle grunge scene going into high gear. It was a great move for rock you know, getting away from the big hair and sounds of motley crue, def leppard and those bands who were all struggling to attract an audience. My personal feeling is that rock really needs another "revolution" like what happened in Seattle in the early 90's, but I don't think it will come for a few more years.

I doubt the band would still be together today as they were in 1991...Dave Grohl would have probably left...you can just hear it in the Foo Fighters material - there is very little grunge sound to it at all. I think he liked what he was doing back then, but I think his change in style and taste would have resulted in at least his leaving the band.

Originally posted by Zoocoustic:
My personal feeling is that rock really needs another "revolution" like what happened in Seattle in the early 90's, but I don't think it will come for a few more years.
B]

Give me some time...im working on it..

aaron

Originally posted by TylerDurden:

Is this comment sarcastic? Creed is one of the bands I should have listed in my original post. They make some of the cheesiest most boring shit with all these lame attempts at proselytizing the mainstream audience. Have you seen interviews with them? They are not intelligent people. And the singer's voice is not unique at all, he's just another Eddie Vedder plageriser. Good lord, "Creed" are nowhere close to Nirvana.

I was recently thinking how nobody new has come out that is quite as good as Nirvana. Hard-hitting and emotional. Simple but deep music. I miss Kurt Cobain, too. Tormented but sweet guy, it seemed.

Originally posted by TylerDurden:

Nah, I was just waiting for someone to bite.
I f***n' hate Creed more then anyone here.

------------------
"Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

matt2870@hotmail.com

i really like nirvana. seriously on nevermind, the first 6 songs are ALL classics, and thats just on the first few listens.

again, creed is horrible.

------------------
-deathbear

Just adding my name to the list of Creed haters.Someone posted a really funny version of Arms Wide Open a while ago with Scott Stapp singing.'With ahms wide opahhh....'.

I fucking hate Creed!! If I were to ever "run" into Scott Stapp, I would go up to him and kick him in the nuts. Ha--that would be great!

I must say I was extremely repulsed when the members of the Doors had him sing for them when they did an unplugged or something of that nature this spring.

Jim Morrison had to have been a rollin in his grave.

------------------
BOOM-CHA

If you're checking Nirvana out now, you couldn't have picked a better time (other than anytime before 1991). Maybe you've heard that former bandmates Kris Novoselic (Sweet 75) and Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters) are fighting (no pun) Courtney Love of Hole for the song rights to one of Kurt's last songs. The song was due for their upcoming release of a "Nirvana - unreleased" box-set. I've heard from a very good friend, that through his readings about the song, it was basically against Courtney (near their argument period, close to his death). ALSO: The ten year anniversary for the release of Nevermind is coming up shortly. It's just good to hear about Nirvana in the news again, other than news/reviews/specials geared solely on Kurt's death/suicide.

Nevermind is one of my personal top 5 cds picks. I suggest, well, all the rest of the albums. Unplugged is a classic. Nirvana has a singles box set.

Agreed. No matter how hard I try, Creed doesn't come across as being any deeper than a drying puddle of water.

Is it bad if I still don't own Nevermind? Need to get that.

Someone mentioned Nirvana bringing about the end of hair bands. I would contend the end of hair bands came with the advent of the teen scene [NKOTB, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, etc.] and Nirvana was more of a backlash against that.

Why am I mentioning this? NKOTB led to Nirvana. N Sync and Britney are leading to the next Nirvana. Don't listen to this Return of Rock crap. Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit, Creed, etc. are not the backlash to today's pop movement. There's something else out there and its going to blow the music scene out of the water. In another year, I predict there will be another Nirvana and they will rock.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Hey Bastardy,thanks for this thread cause Nirvana has always been very special for me.
I wouldn't want tocompare them to anyone though,I think they were a one-off band.

[This message has been edited by Aine (edited 09-06-2001).]

Originally posted by sharky:
There's something else out there and its going to blow the music scene out of the water. In another year, I predict there will be another Nirvana and they will rock.

Like i said, Give me some time..im working on it..

aaron

Back
Top Bottom