NFL Draft Thread, pt. II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story/?ID=213854&hubname=

Falcons' Vick indicted in dogfighting probe

Associated Press
7/17/2007 6:05:38 PM

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was indicted Tuesday by a federal grand jury on charges related to illegal dogfighting.

Vick and three others were charged with violating federal laws against competitive dogfighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting and conducting the enterprise across state lines.

The indictment alleges that Vick and his co-defendants began sponsoring dogfighting in early 2001, the former Virginia Tech star's rookie year with the Falcons.

It accuses Vick, Purnell A. Peace, Quanis L. Phillips and Tony Taylor of ''knowingly sponsoring and exhibiting an animal fighting venture,'' of conducting a business enterprise involving gambling, as well as buying, transporting and receiving dogs for the purposes of an animal fighting venture.

Telephone messages left at the offices and home of Vick's lawyer, Larry Woodward, were not immediately returned.

A woman who answered the phone at the home of Vick's mother said the family knew nothing about the charges.

On July 7, federal authorities conducted a second search of the Surry, Va., property owned by Vick that is the centre of the dogfighting investigation.

According to court documents filed by federal authorities earlier this month, dogfights have been sponsored by ''Bad Newz Kennels'' at the property since at least 2002. For the events, participants and dogs travelled from South Carolina, North Carolina, Maryland, New York, Texas and other states.

Fifty-four pit bulls were recovered from the property during searches in April, along with a ''rape stand,'' used to hold dogs in place for mating; an electric treadmill modified for dogs; and a bloodied piece of carpeting, the documents said.

During a June search of the property, investigators uncovered the graves of seven pit bulls that were killed by members of ''Bad Newz Kennels'' following sessions to test whether the dogs would be good fighters, the documents alleged.

Members of ''Bad Newz Kennels'' also sponsored and exhibited fights in other parts of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland, New Jersey and other states, according to the filings.

On Vick's website, he lists his birthplace as Newport News, ''a.k.a. BadNews.''

The documents said the fights usually occurred late at night or in the early morning and would last several hours.

Before fights, participating dogs of the same sex would be weighed and bathed, according to the filings. Opposing dogs would be washed to remove any poison or narcotic placed on the dog's coat that could affect the other dog's performance.

Sometimes, dogs weren't fed to ''make it more hungry for the other dog.''

Fights would end when one dog died or with the surrender of the losing dog, which was sometimes put to death by drowning, strangulation, hanging, gun shot, electrocution or some other method, according to the documents.

Vick initially said he had no idea the property might have been used in a criminal enterprise and blamed family members for taking advantage of his generosity.

Vick has since declined to talk about the investigation.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/07/18/vick/index.html

Court: Falcons' Vick will go before judges July 26

(CNN) -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick will go before a federal court in Richmond, Virginia, next week on charges that he participated in a dogfighting ring spanning at least nine states, the court said Wednesday.

Vick will first attend a bond hearing before U.S. District Judge Dennis W. Dohnal on July 26 before heading to an arraignment in front of U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson, according to the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.

The Falcons are slated to kick off training camp on the same day.

Vick, 27, and three others were indicted Tuesday on charges of conspiracy in an alleged dogfighting operation that included transporting pit bulls across state lines for illegal prize fights.

Falcons officials said Tuesday they were troubled by the charges against Vick, who faces up to six years in prison if he is found guilty of involvement in a dogfighting ring. Watch how the allegations could affect Vick's career »

"Our club and team will continue to be tested as Michael works through the legal process toward a conclusion," the Falcons said in a statement. "We are prepared to deal with it, and we will do the right thing for our club as the legal process plays out."

The statement added, "We are disappointed that one of our players -- and therefore the Falcons -- is being presented to the public in a negative way, and we apologize to our fans and the community for that."

Vick faces criminal charges for allegedly participating in an enterprise that trained pit bulls for death matches in which spectators bet on the outcome, federal prosecutors announced Tuesday.

Vick and three associates were indicted by a federal grand jury in Richmond, Virginia, on a conspiracy count alleging they bought and sponsored dogs in an animal fighting venture and traveled across state lines to participate in illegal activity, including gambling.

According to the indictment, dogs that didn't show enough fighting spirit, or that lost matches, were put to death by a variety of methods, including shooting, drowning, hanging and electrocution. Prosecutors allege that on one occasion earlier this year, Vick participated in killing eight dogs.

A National Football League spokesman said the allegations against Vick would be reviewed under the NFL's personal conduct policy.

"We are disappointed that Michael Vick has put himself in a position where a federal grand jury has returned an indictment against him," said spokesman Brian McCarthy. "We will continue to closely monitor developments in this case and to cooperate with law enforcement authorities."

If convicted of both portions of the conspiracy charge, Vick could face six years in prison and a $350,000 fine, according to a statement from the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Virginia.

No arrest warrants have been issued, and Vick and the other defendants -- Purnell Peace, 35, of Virginia Beach, Virginia; Quanis Phillips, 28, of Atlanta, Georgia; and Tony Taylor, 34, of Hampton, Virginia -- have not been taken into custody, said Jim Rybicki, a spokesman for U.S. Attorney Chuck Rosenberg.

A judge is expected to inform Vick and the others of the charges against them Wednesday and make arrangements for them to turn themselves in, Rybicki said.

Vick, a standout at Virginia Tech who was the first player chosen in the 2001 NFL draft, is one of pro football's highest-profile and highest paid players. In 2004, he signed a 10-year, $130 million contract with the Falcons.

The dogfighting investigation began in April, when authorities found 54 pit bulls on property Vick owns in Smithfield, Virginia, about 30 miles west of the Norfolk area where he grew up.

There was no immediate comment from Vick on the indictment. He had previously said that while he had a kennel operation on the property, he had no involvement in, or knowledge of, a dogfighting ring.

But the indictment issued Tuesday charges Vick was intimately involved in the operation, known as "Bad Newz Kennels," and that he bought the Smithfield property for $34,000 for the purpose of going into business with Peace, Phillips and Taylor.

Between 2001 and April 2007, Vick and his associates bought and trained pit bulls and hosted dogfights at the property, and dogs were also taken to locations in at least six other states to participate in fights, prosecutors said.

The owners of the winning dogs collected purses that ran into the thousands of dollars, and spectators also placed side bets on the outcome, prosecutors said. After one of the "Bad Newz" dogs lost a fight in March 2003, Vick personally paid $23,000 to the winning dog's owner, who is now a cooperating witness for the prosecution, the indictment said.

According to the indictment, an unidentified associate from Bad Newz Kennels admonished another participant at a dogfight who yelled out Vick's name during an event in the fall of 2003 -- a participant who is also now cooperating with prosecutors.

The indictment also alleges that Vick and his associates "rolled" some of their dogs -- testing them in short fights to determine how well they might fight. Dogs that failed the test were killed, prosecutors said.

While most of the dog killings noted in the indictment were allegedly carried out by the other defendants, Vick himself participated in the killings of eight dogs in April, according to the indictment. The animals were killed "by various methods, including hanging, drowning and slamming at least one dog's body to the ground," the indictment said.

His season, and possibly his entire career, is over. :down: It's a 95% conviction rate once indicted, and he'll certainly be suspended for many, many games because of this. Not to mention his reputation...

I never liked him, I've always been wary of him, and this is significantly larger than any of my suspicions would have pegged him as. However, I can't say that I'm shocked.

The participation in the killing of the dogs takes this thing to another level.

LemonMelon said:
His season, and possibly his entire career, is over. :down: It's a 95% conviction rate once indicted, and he'll certainly be suspended for many, many games because of this. Not to mention his reputation...

Agreed. The specifics are disturbing and really suggest that they have a lot of evidence if they can list methods. I think the Falcons have to be so disgusted at this point that they may ask the NFL to lay down a suspension. He is actually making his brother look like a saint. I predict a year long suspension this season which is nothing compared to a conviction. The only thing that could help would some kind of deal involving information on dog fighting rings but I don't see the authorities needing that. :shrug:

phillyfan26 said:
Conviction = Ban from NFL

Pretty much.

Besides, who would want him now anyway? His stats aren't all that great, and he's a sick creep with a bad history. Even TO had good stats.

phanan said:
I'll bet the Falcons are regretting trading Matt Schaub now.

They don't have the time or cap to really pursue Culpepper at this point either. :huh: They also let go of Jim Mora Jr. because of Vick. Now you have a questionable college coach possibly without your quarterback. It may take several seasons for the Falcons to recover from Mr. Vick. :barf:

Huh? Carolina signed Carr as a free agent this offseason. He's not going anywhere.

The Falcons will have to make do with Joey Harrington, although the NFL won't suspend Vick until there is a conviction, and that won't happen right away.

Petrino (sp?) will probably want to get Brohm in next year's draft. There were rumors already that he was looking that direction even with Vick on the squad.

Atlanta does have some talent. You have a great tandem at RB, a All Pro TE, and OK WR who will probably want to be proving themselves this year, as they're running out of time.

Whoever leads them at QB just needs to be consistent and stay away from turnovers.

I loved Vick coming out of college. Was a treat to watch play. Wasn't much of a QB, but really couldn't take eyes off of him when he was in the game.

Then you start hearing about the off field stuff (Ron Mexico, flipping the bird, water bottle) and I disliked him more and more.

I think we'd all like to think this stuff isn't true, but with his character issues in the past, I am not shocked that he would do this stuff.

Doubtful the trial will even take place this season. The wheels of justice grind very slowly.

That being said, the NFL isn't likely to suspend Vick for an indictment. His previous antics were more embarrassing to the Falcons' organization than the NFL as a league.

Arthur Blank will have to do it.

I don't think it's any less embarassing for the NFL.

And phanan, my bad on Carr, I could've sworn he was still available.

zumanity42 said:
Doubtful the trial will even take place this season. The wheels of justice grind very slowly.

That being said, the NFL isn't likely to suspend Vick for an indictment. His previous antics were more embarrassing to the Falcons' organization than the NFL as a league.

If Vick gets convicted, though, it's a sure bet the NFL will handle it, not the Falcons.

zumanity42 said:

Vick is Blank's meal ticket. He won't do anything unless/until Vick is convicted, and at that point as phanan said, the league will bounce him.

The Falcons will be very screwed unless by some miracle Vick is exonerated.
He may not be the guy I'd want as my QB, doubt he'd ever win a title playing his style, but without him that team becomes a boring 4-12 team that draws 23,000 to a game and gets screwed by his bonus salary cap wise when they need to replace him.

phanan said:

If Vick gets convicted, though, it's a sure bet the NFL will handle it, not the Falcons.

Micheal Vick won't be convicted until after he is tried (except in the court of public opinion).

The earliest this thing goes to trial is Spring '08; which is long after the Falcons' season is over.

Have we already forgotten what happened with Kobe?

If Vick is benched in '07, Arthur Blank has to do it.

Or he could take the "Leave of Absence" that's being talked about.

It seems he has a way to make the NFL happy & still get paid this season. It seems the smart thing to do.

But a smart person wouldn't be in mess like this in the first place.

phanan said:
That's what I'm saying. Nothing will happen until there is a conviction, not by the NFL or Blank.

Well, it seems something has happened, as small as it might be. :shrug:

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has ordered Michael Vick not to attend when the Falcons convene training camp.

"While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the Personal Conduct Policy," Goodell said in a letter to the QB. It's the best move for Atlanta, the NFL, and ultimately Vick. This time will allow for a "cooling off period" for all sides and less of a P.R. hit. Vick, who will be paid during the leave, is scheduled to be arraigned July 26.

Source: FOXSports.com

Yeah, they need to appease the public of Vick's actions.

And I could now see the Falcons suspending him for four games, for conduct that is detrimental to the team. Or they could force him to take a leave of absence while the case is ironed out.

Regardless, if it's true what he did, he should suspended for all of 2008.

He'll get his Pre-Season salary of $1,100/wk while the NFL does it's investigation.

Looks like he should have taken the deal that was discussed over the weekend.

I feel almost a grim sense of having "called it" with this whole Vick business. He went from Ron Mexico, then to the whole ugly scene with the water bottle/weed holster at the airport...seems like it was only a matter of time before he got entangled in some Serious Shit. And I knew it would happen eventually, so I wasn't all that surprised at the news that he's now at terrible odds with the Law.

All the same, this is a situation more extreme and foul and heinous than my wildest imaginations. If all the allegations are true (and if there's an indictment, there's at least a considerable Body of Evidence pointing towards that awful fact), then he's become a real monster - there's not a possibility that someone can be that seriously involved in this kind of mess and still be seriously considered "human". If true, he ought never to take another snap in the NFL again.

And if it's not true, then I wouldn't wish this kind of thing on my worst enemy. Allegations like this are the kind your reputation never recovers from.

But I can't shake this awful grim (and, admittedly smug) voice in my head whenever I hear about Vick on the news saying quietly, "I called it". . . nor the feeling that the charges are probably true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom