Next Producer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VertiGone

Acrobat
After bringing in everyone under the sun to produce HTDAAB (albeit probably not on purpose), who do you think will be at the helm for the next album? Chris Thomas is out, Lillywhite is probably out (as he seems to be a one trick pony). Jacknife Lee perhaps?? Flood?? or back to Lanois and Eno??

VertiGone said:
After bringing in everyone under the sun to produce HTDAAB (albeit probably not on purpose), who do you think will be at the helm for the next album? Chris Thomas is out, Lillywhite is probably out (as he seems to be a one trick pony). Jacknife Lee perhaps?? Flood?? or back to Lanois and Eno??

Explain what you mean about Lillywhite being a one trick pony please.

The band wanted to ROCK on this album. They worked with Chris Thomas and it didn't work out. So who were they going to call in to mop things up? Lillywhite bc he is good at doing fairly straight ahead rock songs and had worked with the band before. However, there is a reason they didn't ask him to produce in the first place. He was ditched post War bc they band wanted to take their sound in a different direction than what Lillywhite typically offers. Blah blah, that's what i meant by one trick pony.

I'd REALLY love to see Nigel Godrich come in and give it a go, personally (Radiohead, Beck, etc.). He's far from perfect (he also works with Travis...so there you go...ugh), but he regularly helps bands to push boundaries and to maintain their essence, at the same time; the album would be very exciting, I think...I already hear the over-emotional rush of U2 mixed with the spacey vagueness and parity of Joy Division. I would love it.

I never want Eno or Lanois to be at the helm of any U2 albums EVER, so they're out for me. I would like to see Flood take up the reigns for an entire album again, though--it may not be perfect, but I'm sure it'd be exciting as all heck.

I could also go for the Dust Brothers--they've proven that they can rock do just about anything, and we all know that Bono's been all about the "MMMbop," as of late. :wink: Seriously, though...they're very capable and hyper-talented and they could easily help the band to push itself in new, relevant, powerful directions. They've done some of the techno stuff that U2 has flirted with, and they've also dabbled in ambient-esque soundscapes, so I think such a pairing could really shake things up and make it really fun both for us as listeners and for the band as artists.

wat , media said that elton john released his best album , yet , so man-alike , grownup record , etc
they should perform together

how about Lillywhite, Eno, Flood, Nigel Godrich, Rick Rubin, Chris Thomas, Jacknife Lee, and Dr. Dre, and Pharrel altogether as one? Talk about a train-wreck. :scratch:

Personally, the Nigel Godrich option sounds most intriguing...anyone else feel the same?

From all that I have read about the making of U2 albums, I don't think the Edge could do it. They need someone who will strip all the songs down sometimes. tell them that it sounds crap.

Edge didn't want to change a chord progression during these last session cause he said they were like his children. That's a man that needs a strong producer.

Whats wrong with Eno and Lanois?? Some of the best material U2 has ever put out came with those two at the controls.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Brendan O'Brien <- working on new Springsteen, though :hyper:
Springsteen is working on a new album!? Sweet!

I'm a supporter of Lanois/Eno for every album. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Lillywhite has done a good job though with HTDAAB, he's still got it. Flood is okay, as long as he doesn't get too out of control. (Joke not intended.)

BTW, I lauged out loud when I saw Flood on the HTDAAB dvd. For some reason, I was picturing this really cool urban hipster black guy, not a dorky computer guy. Oh, Flood!

As great as it would be to see Nigel Godrich producing, i don't see him and Bono getting along.

Eno and Lanois saw U2 through 3 of their best, but also ATYCLB. If U2 want to make another experimental album they would be good, but otherwise Rick Rubin might be better.

I definitely think Pharell should produce U2's next joint. That'd friggin' be sweet, fo' shizzle.

That reminds me of a joke:

Why does Snoop Dogg carry around an umbrella?

Fo' drizzle!

-Miggy D

Why not Alan Wilder (of DM fame)? He was the responsible for the best albums of Depeche Mode.

I think it would be a very interesting idea to do some remix or song by Alan to know how it would work out.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Rick Rubin
Brendan O'Brien <- working on new Springsteen, though :hyper:
Edge

Yeah, Rick could be very interesting - especially if coupled with Flood!

I'm not surprised Chris Thomas didn't work out, after spending years with Queen, Bowie et all, he has a tendancy to polish too much and gives the music a high gloss production. That's so not where they're headed right now. They need someone who can step back from it with some objectivity, and not get wrapped up in the mix process.

I have 2 say I'm more than a little biased, but I'd like 2 see Youth (The Verve, INXS, Embrace, Crowded House, Guns n Roses, Killing Joke etc) have a crack at the next one as he's able to create an interesting dynamic mix and also keep it raw if needs be. Youth is an old friend of mine, and has worked with Bono before a few years ago on a remix of Night and Day, (He said they spent most of their time staying up very late drinking, smoking and putting the world to rights!)

So I guess it's not outside the realms of possibility.

*hopes!*
:wink:

Last edited:
I think Rick Rubin is a really interesting choice. His hard beats persona would contrast with U2's atmospheric epic songs.

I'm always up for more Eno, Lanois, Flood. They gave us Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, so how can you object?

Radioheads produce could be great. A more arty U2 would be awesome.

But to pick a producer you must first answer the question....

Which direction are they heading?
http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104189&pagenumber=1

Mutt Lange would be great...our boys are into selling as many records as possible these days and Mutt Lange has produced something like 6 or 7 out of the top 10 highest selling albums. (Def Leppard, Bryan Adams, & his wife Shania Twain).

Seriously, if the boys are into sales (and it appears they are) then Mutt Lange has to be at the top of the list...everything he touches turns to gold...of course, all the records he produces sound alike (don't you notice how Bryan Adams, Def Leppard, and of course, Shania Twain) all sound eerily similar in production and sound???

So, with Mutt on board the boys could begin the next phase of their career putting out over-produced melodic hard-metal/pop/country grooves with cheesball lyrics but that will sell 40 million albums worldwide! Genius!

I'm still leaning towards Jacknife Lee. He is the new guy this last go around that stuck and did "A man and a woman" which is a pretty different sounding track for the band and could mean good things for the future. Also i doubt he has any preconceived notions about what a U2 record should "sound" like, so it could be very interesting...

Back
Top Bottom