Next Live DVD.............

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
.......Should be filmed well into the tour, possibly the second leg. I think all too often, they are filmed too early in the tour before the band has sorted their act out, result being, we dont get the best performances. Also, maybe take the best songs from multiple shows rather than one whole concert. Fell free to discuss

Aardvark747 said:
Nah. I hate it when concerts are a mis-match of lots of gigs. I'd always prefer just one whole show - warts n all.

Tho perhaps not every little wart...as I can't stand it on the Chicago gig when Bono coughs his lungs up during Elevation...:mad:

I certainly agree that the gig should be recorded later in the tour. Red Rocks is a good example, really. A show from the first leg of War would not have been as good. One can only dream that the strong performances from the third or fifth leg had been recorded instead of the first leg shows.

I'd also like U2 to stop worrying about releasing pristine live DVDs without a single blemish. In other words, record one gig and stick with it! People appreciate the minor slip-ups. It's nice to know the band is human, and given how poorly Bono is received in some quarters, even amongst diehards, it would probably help certain people's impressions of him. And frankly, mistakes can be funny. When you've got Bono rambling on for five minutes about kids dying, a little slip-up and a with the accompanying wry chuckle and sarcastic smile/comments between the band members would provide a welcome contrasting mood.

One of the early gigs in the next tour, when they played more material from the album they're actually touring. The Aussie tour was essentially a safe, greatest hits tour.....that's why I love the tracklisting of the Chicago dvd cause it was the Vertigo tour in it's most purest form

Last edited:
Axver said:

I'd also like U2 to stop worrying about releasing pristine live DVDs without a single blemish. In other words, record one gig and stick with it! People appreciate the minor slip-ups. It's nice to know the band is human, and given how poorly Bono is received in some quarters, even amongst diehards, it would probably help certain people's impressions of him. And frankly, mistakes can be funny. When you've got Bono rambling on for five minutes about kids dying, a little slip-up and a with the accompanying wry chuckle and sarcastic smile/comments between the band members would provide a welcome contrasting mood.

Understand what you're saying Axver. And with the Chicago dvd in mind there is the moment where Bono hits Larry's cymbal out of the blue, which does of course make me smile everytime. But there's just something annoying about that coughing in Elevation. I have an idea tho - as I dislike the song perhaps I should just skip it next time and save myself gettin annoyed!

intedomine said:
The Aussie tour was essentially a safe, greatest hits tour

I like to call it the U2:18 Tour By Stealth.

Aardvark747 said:
Understand what you're saying Axver. And with the Chicago dvd in mind there is the moment where Bono hits Larry's cymbal out of the blue, which does of course make me smile everytime. But there's just something annoying about that coughing in Elevation. I have an idea tho - as I dislike the song perhaps I should just skip it next time and save myself gettin annoyed!

I think there's a difference between funny musical slip-ups and hideous examples of Bono coughing up his lungs that should've and could've been edited out! :wink:

I agree, I'd be great to see an entire concert - warts and all. No edits. No fixes.

Maybe they could then add a bonus disk featuring a variety of other songs that were played on the tour, but not at that particular show - 'kind of a best-of-the-rest' thing. That's where they could include new songs that got dumped from the set early in the tour (ie Babyface, Do You Feel Loved, Miami, Miracle Drug) and any performances that were particularly special.

Aardvark747 said:

I always thought the caughing was a joke, since Bono used to do that on a couple of shows. :reject:

Filming it later on in the run is certainly a good idea, I think the decision to film the Chicago gig so early on (something U2 have always resisted before) was partially borne out of necessity, in the early days the tour was kind of a tentative thing, so the thought process seemed to be 'lets get a show in the can as soon as possible in case the tours derailed'.

While I don't mind the Chicago gig, it's definitely lacking the rythym and synergy the show would have had had it been filmed further along. Unfortunately I don't think the Vertigo tour really has a great concert film to document the whole HTDAAB campaign. A shame because there were some really special nights.

That said I also think its important they don't film it too late in the schedule either. The Sydney 93 show was shot on the last few dates of Zoo TV and the band are clearly tired and the Mexico 97 night demonstrates Bono's burnt out voice.

Capturing that magical gig on film is extremely difficult, especially for a band that seems to seize up when the cameras are present.

Like others have said I wish u2 weren't so intent on only releasing a flawless gig, the occassional error's and mistakes that creep in are why I like my bootleg DVDs so much.

last unicorn said:

I always thought the caughing was a joke, since Bono used to do that on a couple of shows. :reject:

Are you not maybe thinking about the start of HMTMKMKM live.....where he used to cough? I think the Shitcago DVD cough was genuine as he makes reference to a "frog in the throat"

I don't know. There were some other Vertigo gigs where he did the coughing as well, I remember it from at least one show I saw in person, so I thought it was a show effect, especially with the "frog" remark.

On the other hand, I also heard he was a bit sick during the Chicago concert.

I don't mind the Chicago DVD, I love some stuff on it, other things are not so great, but overall I prefer Milan (though his voice wasn't so good there).

I think they should do a dvd in the middle of the tour because:

- Bonos voice often best then

- The band don't go on routine as they do often the last leg, they got more ideas.

Chicago, Mexico, Sydney, Boston they always seem to record when Bono's voice is a bit worn...

babyman said:
I had always the opinion that there isn't any other best live to put on a dvd as the last concert of a tour

Good point...

Vertigo Hawaii - cool gig
Elevation Miami - have a nice dvd, good show
Popmart Johannesburg - another nice gig
Zooropa Tokyo - sounds like a good show, don't have video though
ZooTV Anaheim - no video, but have audio and it's a very good show
Lovetown Rotterdam - great show
JT Tempe - ditto
UF Ft. Lauderdale - no idea, don't have anything from those gigs
War Tokyo - don't have good enough audio to really judge

I don't really have anyting from the final October & Boy gigs.

But overally it seems like the last gig does tend to be good. Problem is I think they want to get the thing shot & released before the tour is completely over...also if they wait for the final show and they screw it up somehow they don't get a do-over.

A first leg dvd is ok but then the last show of it or at least a very late 1st leg show.

But i also think the best one is from the 2nd or 3rd leg. Or do 2 dvd's with each other songs as well.

I think that the best example could be the Slane Castle dvd, that show has really no weak points. They did the concert(s) after having a break of a couple of weeks if I don't get wrong (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) Bono was in good shape, showing maybe that a late concert of an ending tour (after having had a break) is better because the band is more relaxed and more in shape, more concentrated, as to do a show every 2 days.

Dunno. I would seem to agree that it's better for the most part, but ZooTv to me was a glaring exception. I would much rather have one of the shows from ealier in the tour, when the songs were much more edgy. Musically they most definately get better as the tour goes on, but I think they do have a tendancy to go on auto pilot a bit. I'm for the Elevation model; one from the beginning, one from the end :)

Headache in a Suitcase said:
have a crew record every show and pick the best one.

why is this so hard to figure out :scratch:

Because Hamish can't be recording every gig...if you did that you'd have to lose Hamish :wink:

CTU2fan said:

Because Hamish can't be recording every gig...if you did that you'd have to lose Hamish :wink:

what a pity that would be

i think the first step is getting rid of hamish and then they should experiment with a rattle and hum thing. but the chicago dvd was awesome so i dont really think they have to tape different shows.
i actually didnt like milan except for Miss Sarajevo and OOTS

Maybe they should do something similar to the 'Beastie Boys, AWESOME, I fuckin shot that...' And allow members of the audience to film and then splice it all together.

We'd probably get a lot more crotch shots instead of shots of Bono's dental work, but some would say that's a fair trade.

EdgeIsTooSexy said:

i think the first step is getting rid of hamish and then they should experiment with a rattle and hum thing. but the chicago dvd was awesome so i dont really think they have to tape different shows.
i actually didnt like milan except for Miss Sarajevo and OOTS

that's for sure the most important thing: get rid of Hamish.
I also love to see a new concert DVD directed by Joneau. That would be great.

By the way Chicago was cutted from three shows.

I'm really looking forward to end of January - the trailer of U2 3D looks great and after a while we will also see that on DVD - I'm sure.

In terms of business sense, we'll continue to see 1st leg releases on dvd. If anything is clear from the last 2 album releases, a 4th quarter album release means a March tour start up in the States. Filming a show before the summer will allow time for it to be packaged for a 4th quarter dvd release. Of course, Slane outshines Boston and the unfortunately short Milan just takes Chicago. I expect U23D to be the class of that tour when it comes out.
From a personal standpoint, the 1st leg dvds are still something to treasure for longtime fans. On Boston we get this great version of the Fly and a wickedly insane Edge on Gone. These songs disappeared later on this tour. And while Chicago might not be top notch stuff, it still has the Boy trilogy - Cry/Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, and Into the Heart (my personal favorite moment from Vertigo that I was fortunate to actually see in person). These 1st legs have some real gems that are not going to be captured on dvd as the tour progresses. I love 1st leg dvds for this.

What Roland said. How many "I miss the Boy trilogy and the Zoo TV trilogy!!" posts would there be if it wasn't for Chicago DVD ? Or "Where is Gone/The Fly?" if we had only gotten Slane from Elevation.

I don't mind a well edited DVD from two or more nights, just as a DVD of a single show can be great to watch. And sometimes (see Zoo TV) it's hard to do a tour justice with one DVD. *coughAB/Zooropa remaster may repay that though*. More than one DVD only makes sense if you play arenas and stadiums.

Audience members filming and/or filming every single night ? No way.

Well the problem with ZooTV was that it wasn't ZooTV, it was Zooropa :( I thought it was well-done/well-shot, but the performance was lacking, probably because it was the end of about 2 years of touring. One of the ZooTV (1992) Outside gigs would have been a better choice.

Back
Top Bottom