Next Album Rumours Thread III - The Gospel of Adam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No idea why U2 seem obsessed with acoustic songs. They’re bad at doing that. Like, really bad. There’s not a single song of theirs that is improved by playing it acoustically. Not one. Even songs they recorded acoustically and then played live electric (Running To Stand Still!) sound better electric.
Stuck in a Moment and Staring At The Sun are better acoustic.

There I said it

Words cannot express how little I am interested in hearing acoustic versions of U2 songs. I accept the occasional B&E acoustic song at concerts because I understand that Larry probably needs a break. The acoustic versions of the SOI songs I listened to maybe twice when it first came out and never again. I have no interest in hearing watered down versions of their songs.

After a very active (by U2's standards) 5 years between 2014-2019, I always knew 2020-2021 would be largely inactive for the band, similar to 2012-13. I'm sure they have songs they are working on at a very casual pace. I'm sure they have an idea of what they want to achieve with their next album/tour. Like somebody said, the tour is more important than the album at this point. I'm sure their team are working hard on the next tour as we speak.

I'm certain we won't hear a note of new material in 2021. They're probably waiting to see what the probability of a world tour will be like in 2022 before they move ahead with anything.

I've heard a few people claim they preferred those acoustic versions of the SOI tracks over the album versions, that is a genuine head scratcher for me. In my opinion, the electric versions are far superior (and the live versions far more so...) and in those acoustic sessions bono sounds out of tune half of the time, plus his voice breaks on multiple instances!

Last edited:
I've heard a few people claim they preferred those acoustic versions of the SOI tracks over the album versions, that is a genuine head scratcher for me. In my opinion, the electric versions are far superior (and the live versions far more so...) and in those acoustic sessions bono sounds out of tune half of the time, plus his voice breaks on multiple instances!

Agreed, although the one exception for me is the acoustic 'California', if only because I thought the brass worked really well, and should have been in the studio version (though I guess that's just more proof that an acoustic arrangement on it's own wasn't enough - it's the brass that stands out for me).

A sneaky good acoustic version is "Miracle". I quite enjoy that.

Completely agree. Not overproduced to the point of being annoying. Grittier quality that hews closer to being a folk song, which totally works for the subject matter. Would’ve been a wonderful way to open the album.

I think this all stems back to Rick Rubin's criticism that U2 don't write songs that can be played on an acoustic guitar or a piano, they rely more on soundscapes and effects. I really think that fucked with Bono and Edge's ego a little bit. Rubin was never the right fit for U2.... he works well with artists who already have demos recorded, and then helps them turn these rough drafts into full songs.

I really don't prefer acoustic versions of any U2 song. It doesn't play to their strengths as a band. Part of what makes me like a song like Stay, SATS or Stuck are what is happening sonically in the recordings. When you strip all that away to just an acoustic guitar, it just feels so empty to me. Whereas now they seem to think it's only a good song if you can play it on an acoustic guitar.

So, seeing what Edge said, looks like we really are a few years out still. Might honestly be the best thing for them to have their heads clear, take an extended break and come back to it with a fresh perspective.

I think this all stems back to Rick Rubin's criticism that U2 don't write songs that can be played on an acoustic guitar or a piano, they rely more on soundscapes and effects. I really think that fucked with Bono and Edge's ego a little bit. Rubin was never the right fit for U2.... he works well with artists who already have demos recorded, and then helps them turn these rough drafts into full songs.

I really don't prefer acoustic versions of any U2 song. It doesn't play to their strengths as a band. Part of what makes me like a song like Stay, SATS or Stuck are what is happening sonically in the recordings. When you strip all that away to just an acoustic guitar, it just feels so empty to me. Whereas now they seem to think it's only a good song if you can play it on an acoustic guitar.
I think the constant critiques by those who don't like U2 along with their inability to really jell with, oh, every producer outside of Brian, Danny and Steve has led them to dismantle the thing that always made U2 great.

Sure, Where The Streets Have No Name or Bad aren't songs that the guy playing acoustic guitar at the bar is going to be able to play and play well for decades to come - but, ya know, who gives a shit?

Adam was on U2XRadio talking with Rocky about Record Store Day and at the end of the segment she asked him what to expect next from the band, and he said that they've been working on acoustic versions of their songs.

Dear U2.

I have compiled an exhaustive list of every person that wants to hear an acoustic version of your older or upcoming songs.

1. Keith Miller - Dayton, OH
2. Isabel Molina - Valencia Spain

That is all.

Yours truly,

Womanfish

Dear U2.

I have compiled an exhaustive list of every person that wants to hear an acoustic version of your older or upcoming songs.

1. Keith Miller - Dayton, OH
2. Isabel Molina - Valencia Spain

That is all.

Yours truly,

Womanfish

I just called Keith's church.

https://youtu.be/QRzKFPUJvbw

This version is better, especially considering the subject matter.

There are other good acoustic U2 songs... maybe not better than the original, but good.

Love Is Bigger

https://youtu.be/m2uBQr4XeTY

Ordinary Love

https://youtu.be/Fum3g86zUPc

(This also was the last time that U2 weren't a laughing stock, because their next appearance in public was a few months later at the Apple press conference)

That... that's about it. Temple bar wild horses is good, but the original is so much more powerful that the acoustic version completely changes the song. I also don't mind bossa nova Best Thing.

If anything, U2 should do more music with Strings/Orchestra. Lights of Home strings version kills.

The acoustic comments sound more like another Best of, not a new album.

Also, legends talk is not even a question. JT, AB, zoo tv/popmart/360.
Honourable mention War, UF and SOI*

A band with all this under their belt is legendary.

*I know ATYCLB will continue to get all the press but SOI is their most consistent album in the 00s.

U2songs have posted the interview with Adam
https://www.u2songs.com/news/adam_clayton_on_whats_coming_next

"“Well, you know we are playing around with rearranging some of the songs that we have and setting them in a more acoustic environment. Edge got a bit of a bee in his bonnet and said you know, no pun intended, said lets look at these songs and imagine them in a different context. So we are playing around with that.
He’s putting a lot of work into changing the keys, and moving them onto piano and that sort of thing. And hopefully we will have something towards the end of the year that will show a different light on U2.

I think it’s an opportunity to explore different versions of the band in a way. Because it’s very much the early days, it’s embryonic, it could go somewhere between Leonard Cohen or Johnny Cash – very stripped down and bare – towards something that is very lush. Very hard to say where it will end up or if it will all end up with the same tone across it, or if each song will be treated differently. I’m excited to see how the songs could exist in a different universe.”

It's still not entirely clear, but it sounds more to me like they're recording acoustic versions of older material. Can't say I'm particularly interested but hey, better than having nothing (and it'll likely be another couple of years before another album art least).

Cool, that's what I wondered a bit back - definitely better than nothing, which might be the point. I forget what the terms of their LN contract are regarding albums, but this could be a placeholder record to make a deadline or hit a watermark.

Whatever it is, I hope it ends up a) being old songs, reworked and b) getting the acoustic stuff out of their system to make way for a new album (as opposed to the acoustic stuff informing a new album)

On one hand, they’ll be taking a break from trying too hard to sound cool for the kids.

On the other, an album full of this is going to make them look like boring old men.

Kinda refreshing to think of them putting out a low stakes record. Can they all be from now on?

Actually not angry about this.

I’ve been thinking that the chances of U2 making new music in a lockdown environment is slim to none - the magic happens in the room. So it makes sense they would turn to songs they know, and I’d rather them look at some fresh takes (piano and strings preferred to acoustic, but a blend could be ok) than release another best of with the same content.

It could also be something like The Cure did, disc one is a version of a best of, and disc 2 is acoustic re-takes of those songs.

I really don't prefer acoustic versions of any U2 song. It doesn't play to their strengths as a band. Part of what makes me like a song like Stay, SATS or Stuck are what is happening sonically in the recordings.

100% this.

If anything, U2 should do more music with Strings/Orchestra. Lights of Home strings version kills.

Completely agree, but totally epic & sprawling atmospheric rock - like in the vein of 'Hold Me Thrill Me', or 'Always Forever Now' (although, I'm pretty sure these are synth-strings by Brian Eno in this particular case).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom