My guitar strings don't like the cold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl91289

War Child
I have noticed that with this ridiculous bitter cold in the northeast, which is making my entire house cold, that my guitar strings seem to be tighter/higher and get out of tune more easily. Are there any special care precautions that I should take when it is this cold to ensure that the strings do not break, and that it doesn't get damaged? Thanks!

Strings do shrink slightly when it gets cold, so does the guitar itself come to think of it. Not that you should follow my example but I frequently leave guitars in the back of my car after shows for a few days. Just recently we've been having -23c days and worse at nights which presumably the guitars reach after a few hours in the boot and none of them have come to any harm. If you're worried I'd loosen the strings a turn or so until it warms up again but a well made guitar kept indoors should survive a cold snap without any special handling. Certainly none of mine have come to any harm because of the cold so far (he said hopefully)...

so far the canadian cold hasn't killed my guitar stings yet, but sometimes when it's -35c out i loosen the strings

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom