Movie Reviews part 13: How many movies will Jessica Chastain star in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seven Psychopaths 6/10: It started out funny and Sam Rockwell was great but it wore out it's welcome by the end. Poor Olga and Abbie! They don't appear for very long in the movie but that fits in with the script the characters are creating. The Sam Rockwell description of the ending of the script was the highlight.

Gravity 7.5/10 Amazing special effects. Great acting by Sandra Bullock. It was like space tourism. This has to be seen in IMAX 3D or some AVX3D to get the full benefit. There was some great nasty black comedy that's pure genius. The only problem is the implausibility of the movie. Especially the ending with
the Eeny, meeny, miny, moe crap. Give me Apollo 13 instead.
I think it's a little over hyped and won't be the best picture winner when all the competition is counted. It should at least win for special effects.

Gravity 7.5/10 Amazing special effects. Great acting by Sandra Bullock. It was like space tourism. This has to be seen in IMAX 3D or some AVX3D to get the full benefit. There was some great nasty black comedy that's pure genius. The only problem is the implausibility of the movie. Especially the ending with * SPOILER * I think it's a little over hyped and won't be the best picture winner when all the competition is counted. It should at least win for special effects.

Ok thanks. I am going to go and watch it after your review . I wasn't sure but it seems like a good view.

George Clooney was just in Vancouver visiting and working on another film . Would have been cool to meet him. He has always been one of my fave actors. # 1 though is Leonardo DiCapprio . I can't wait for " The Wolf Of Wall Street" in November!

Have the book and since I am a Venture Capitalist and Trader, this is one right up my ally !

Identification of a woman 6/10: Not a masterpiece by any standards but it was still enjoyable to watch some lesser Antonioni. He always films great imagery including the cool fog scene. There was some good dialogue and it fits into that mold of "artist looking for his/her muse". Trying to penetrate reality in your movie only to find reality moves on and leaves your art dated, is something that I think is what this movie is in the end. Cue OMD reference.
The ending just cops out to a hope that science will explain why things are the way they are.
Red Desert is next on my Antonioni list and I hope it's better.

I can't wait for " The Wolf Of Wall Street" in November!

Have the book and since I am a Venture Capitalist and Trader, this is one right up my ally !

I'm sure you probably deal with a lot of ego-maniacal narcissists so you should be craving something completely different like hiking in a forest than reading, and watching what you see everyday. :giggle:

Scorsese is a good director so I'm sure there will be lots to chew on. Dicaprio is good at emoting on screen.

Saw Gravity tonight. Beautiful film to look at. The story itself was decent but
the ending was lame and not very realistic, as purpleoscar pointed out.
Also, a few things really bothered me
When Clooney lets go of Bullock's tether, he would've just remained right where he was. He had no momentum and should not have floated away. At the same time, all it would have taken was a slight tug to get him moving in the right direction and he would've been saved.
When Bullock gets in the Russian pod and tries to fire up the boosters to move toward the chinese station, there is no fuel left and she nearly gives up. But she had just been using the thrusters to adjust the orientation of the craft. She could have easily used that to nudge the pod in the right direction.
The dead people wouldn't just look like they froze to death. All their blood and bodily fluids would instantly boil in the vacuum of space. I'm not sure exactly what that would look like, but it would be much messier. Probably involving liquids forcing their way out of the pores and what not.
There's no way all those space stations, telescopes, and shuttles would all be orbiting the same distance from Earth and within eye shot of one another.
Toward the end when she's re-entering the atmosphere and the surrounding debris begins to break up, somehow pieces that are behind her, that have only broken up from the friction of the atmosphere and not through any sort of combustion, manage to increase their speed and fly past her pod which had been in front of the rest of the debris.

8.5/10 but mostly for the suspense and visuals

I don't ever want to see that movie. I want to spend the rest of my life believing that it's 2 hours of Sandra Bullock and George Clooney falling through space and back to Earth. That's what the trailer makes it look like it's about.

Saw Gravity yesterday and it was one of the best moviegoing experiences I've had in some time. It would be straight up criminal if it does not win Best Cinematography.

I wanted to into the movie cold, so I tried to avoid knowing anything about it beyond the basic premise. Even then, I thought it was going to more of Sandra Bullock floating in the vacuum of space re-assessing her life choices before dying.
As for the nitpicks about the implausibility of her surviving, one could take the interpretation that she died when she turns off the oxygen in the Russian space station and that the end of the movie is her dying hallucination/fantasy.

I'd like to see Gravity, but I know I would be freaked out when Sandra floats away into space, alone with what looks like little hope of rescue and survival. Even if she is rescued, just the idea of being alone in space like that is frightening to me.

But based on what I'm hearing about this movie, I think it would be a catharsis experience if I saw it - which I will someday

Wreck-It Ralph

I think having big, familiar names doing the voice acting in animated movies can be incredibly distracting and even ruin the movie, but I really liked this one. Jane Lynch's character was pretty worthless, but Sarah Silverman's was awesome. And the whole Sugar Rush game world was cool, and a kick for any fans of Mario Kart and those kind of games.

Wreck-It Ralph

I think having big, familiar names doing the voice acting in animated movies can be incredibly distracting and even ruin the movie, but I really liked this one. Jane Lynch's character was pretty worthless, but Sarah Silverman's was awesome. And the whole Sugar Rush game world was cool, and a kick for any fans of Mario Kart and those kind of games.

I thought Silverman's voice fit perfectly for Penelope.

Rush

Despite not caring much about Formula 1 or sports films in general, I enjoyed the hell out of this movie, set in the world of 70s Formula 1 racing, mostly thanks to the efforts of the two leading men. Chris Hemsworth was fantastic (and amazingly hot :drool::drool:) but it's Daniel Brühl and his intense, prickly, blunt Niki Lauda who really runs away with the movie, I haven't seen such a compelling unlikeable lead character since The Social Network maybe. The characters' rivalry and contrasting personalities, and drama on and off the racing track was a joy to watch. I also loved the 70s vibe, cinematography and the score.

Gravity

A tad overhyped, but still very good and visually stunning for sure; I have special feelings of awe for space in general and some of the imagery had me tearing up a bit it was so beautiful. Not sure if I really buy George Clooney as an austronaut - I just kept seeing George Clooney the Movie Star - but Sandra Bullock was amazing, it made me think back to Speed where she was just as perfect in a rather similar under-pressure role.

Also, I was very relieved when
The sequence with George Clooney knocking on the pod's window turned out to be a dream.
I can swallow a lot of dodgy science and general movie implausibility but that would have killed the movie for me there and then.

Not sure if I really buy George Clooney as an austronaut -

That's how I felt about Bullock. And I never got over that feeling, unfortunately

Also, I was very relieved when
The sequence with George Clooney knocking on the pod's window turned out to be a dream.
[/QUOTE]

Yes!

When it first happened, after the previous hour or so of liberal application of physics, I nearly lost it. It was nice how it gradually dawns on us that it's only an hallucination

you believe that shit about astronauts wearing diapers?

that's bullshit, they wear sports bra and spanks

sandra-bullock-stars-in-new-image-from-alfonso-cuar-n-s-gravity-139520-a-1373354001-470-75.jpg

and they don't float in space, they swim

gravity-sandra-bullock-water-tank-350x210.jpg

and yes, they had to do that terrible 3D gimmick, where she cries a tear and it leaves the screen and floats out about 15-20 rows into the theater, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww, 3D awwwwwesooooooome

To the wonder 5.5/10: Nice looking movie as you would expect with Lubezki. Too many stereotypical Malick shots. Really if someone didn't see this movie they wouldn't be missing out. The movie might be autobiographical and is basically a movie that asks people to be grateful for the love they experience even if it's short-lived. The Rachel McAdams sequence is laughably brief and there isn't enough understanding why the relationships don't work out. I know that's the point but it looks ridiculous after a while. Affleck was practically silent throughout the movie. That probably was a good thing.

Loved Gravity. First half hour so deft, so upsetting and stressful I was lose to either crying or vomitting. Rest of it isn't on that level, but I have zero complaints, be it the score or amount of backstory or dialog etc.

I loved Gravity, too. But I'm drawn to beautifully filmed movies that take place in space.

Captain Phillips 8.5/10: Loved Tom Hanks performance. This was as good as United 93 with great editing. The shaky cam wasn't too bad and nothing was confusing. This is one of the better movies I saw this year. Lots of adrenaline and heart palpitations.

Man, I just saw Gravity. What an experience. Some thoughts:

Sandra Bullock, in the performance of a lifetime, spends most of this wondrous wallop of a movie lost in space, alone where no one can hear her scream. And because director Alfonso Cuarón, a master of pure cinema, puts us right up there with her in glorious 3D, you breathe like she does, feel like she does and panic like she does until, after 90 minutes of gulping, gasping suspense, you start seeing with blinders off. Like she does.

A great movie is hard to define. So let Gravity do it for you. With enthralling detail, it offers thrills, humor, dazzle, disaster, poetic vision and mythic reach. Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey set the bar for philosophical exploration of an unknowable universe by gazing outward. With deceptive simplicity, Gravity looks inward at something closer at hand but just as profound: the intricacies of the human heart.

Bullock plays Ryan Stone, a NASA engineer on her virgin voyage into space. Her mission is to help repair the Hubble telescope. This rookie looks ready to puke inside her helmet. Her guide is Matt Kowalsky (George Clooney), a charm-boy astronaut who's seen it all and has a joke for all he's seen. Clooney takes a small role and runs with it, his Buzz Lightyear banter working to defuse tension. "You're the genius up here," he sasses. "I only drive the bus." The buoyancy of these early scenes, cutting through the eerie silence of deep space, is in marked contrast to the horror that develops when a Russian satellite destructs and sends debris hurtling toward the shuttle. That leaves Bullock and Clooney to defy gravity and death nearly 400 miles above the looming Earth.

Don't let anyone spoil what happens next. Just know that Cuarón, the gifted cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki and visual-effects wizard Tim Webber are trailblazers whose imaginations accept no limits. The script, by Cuarón and his son Jonás, occasionally drifts into dangerous emo territory, but the film's images speak with heart-rending eloquence. Cuarón's artistry is evident in films as diverse as Y Tu Mamá También, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (the third and best of the Potter series) and the indisputably brilliant Children of Men. The Mexican-born Cuarón is a true visionary. In tandem with the Bullock tour de force – she blends ferocity and feeling into a triumphant, award-caliber portrait of grace under pressure – he turns Gravity into a thing of transcendent beauty and terror. It's more than a movie. It's some kind of miracle.

Pretty MEH on Gravity after seeing it finally today, in 3D. The script is practically non-existent, and what they used for Bullock's backstory to gain sympathy from the audience is shameless. The cute callbacks like "I have brown eyes" are pretty weak. The plausibility on many elements wore me down by the end and it was hard to take anything seriously. The decision to have EVERYTHING go wrong was made worse by the arbitrariness of the solutions to the problems (
Clooney appearing as a Force Ghost, pressing buttons at random)

Better actors (or better than Bullock, at least) could have hinted at a life before/behind what comes out in dialogue. And to be honest, they didn't need them anyway. 2001 was plenty suspenseful in similar scenes without knowing jack shit about the characters.

As with Children Of Men, the camera choreography was impressive, but it's hard to know what was done with computers and what wasn't, as opposed to something like GoodFellas or Touch Of Evil, where we know it's all happening for real and the camera is actually moving its way around people, sets, and props. I don't think Lubezki is deserving of any award, as I place more of a value on the actual look of photography over how hard something is logistically.

The music was really fucking overbearing, too.

I'd nominate this for FX and sound awards but that's it. It's an experience, but not art. And as purpleoscar mentioned above, Apollo 13 was far richer and just as (if not more) suspenseful.

Children of Men stitches together long takes through digital manipulation. Have you seen the rig that Lubezki built for the car scene? There's incredible practical filmmaking going on there with the digital assistance, of course. Do you take as much issue with Fincher's digitally-enhanced compositions?

With Gravity, I've seen it once in its entirety and about 30 more times in bits and pieces working at a movie theater now. Clooney, for instance, feels surprisingly wooden. I enjoy its immersiveness until the digital components make it feel like a video game cut scene.

Back
Top Bottom