MMA Thread part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really have issue with the stop, didn't notice the clock. Good fight, Mendez not having time to train probably was more in his disadvantage than Connor's. It was a solid fight, look forward to see what happens in the future.

Aldo backing out is a joke. Edgar and Mendez are both bigger men than that Brazillian snoozer.

Yes, what bad stop?
If the guy is done and there's three seconds or three minutes left what difference does it make? he was done.
Conor proved to his critics that he does have the heart of a champion.

I think he and Mendes will fight again
same result.

Not a fan of the new graphics, they got some stuff wrong.
Reebok kits I think I like the trunks, the corners looked like they got some wrong sizes.

and the white gets real dirty and bloody

Last edited:
Sort of like when a guy taps with a second or two left on the clock.

Speaking of things that count down, I was noticing how we've got less than 40 posts til we're on a part 3. Watch Cobbler come drive by fuck up the title for us despite probably having never heard of mma.

it just seems like Conor detractors don't want to accept that he pulled it off.

It was looking a bit dicey there for awhile. Nobody has made Conor look that vulnerable. Mendes could have won, he had him in trouble.

I expect we will see Conor fight Aldo next, then Frankie and then a full camp Mendes. I still say anyone that does not like Conor should have a little more respect for him after tonight.

that Lawler - MacDonald fight may be the best of the year. MacDonald was actually favored. Lawler was in danger of losing, he was behind on the cards before the stoppage. For as long as Lawler has been fighting surprising that he may be at his peak now. After the GSP - Hendricks fight I thought Hendricks had so much power that he would sit atop that division for some time. Now I expect to see Lawler beat him again, next.

As for bonuses, I think White should give everyone a $10K bonus since he keeps bragging how money this fight made. Biggest gate ever!!!!. Also White is rolling in Reebok bucks too.

Time to trot out the Oprah meme to the tune of "you get a bonus! You get a bonus!"

I just don't want to hear about Aldo McGregor for another 6 months. I've had enough.

Wouldnt they just smash, rather than open up your nasal passages? I guess it's only a little worse than the way they rip the skin off your nose when you try to peel them off in the morning though.

OK, nose plugs then.

Here's a promo pic:

CJsEtVFVEAAqK8_.png

Last edited:
I'm a pretty big McGregor fan and I still thought it sat a little unwell, with so little time left, that's all. I'm super happy.

I think he fights Aldo, Frankie, Holloway. I just don't see him fighting three HUGE fights like what you're suggesting in a row, and if he wins against Aldo and Frankie, Holloway is the only person to ever take him to a decision (yeah, yeah, McGregor tore his ACL. But Holloway was only 21 and he hasn't lost since).

Also White is rolling in Reebok bucks too.

According to Dana, most of the money is going right back in the fighter's pockets and the UFC isn't netting much from it...yet. Once the jerseys start selling after big fights like tonight's get people hyped enough to drop the cash, then the UFC will start raking it in, I'd imagine.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/5/6...uch-fighters-will-be-paid-through-reebok-deal

"The above outlined compensation structure will result in UFC distributing the vast majority of the revenue generated through the AOP directly to the athletes," the e-mail states. "We continue to believe the introduction of the official outfitting kits for our athletes is a beneficial investment, which will elevate and create long-term value for you, the UFC brand and the sport."

Yes, what bad stop?
If the guy is done and there's three seconds or three minutes left what difference does it make? he was done.

When the difference between Aldo/McGregor (the fight everyone wanted in the first place) and Aldo/Mendes comes down to 3 seconds, those 3 seconds matter. McGregor likely would have won either way, but it felt like he couldn't be given the belt and celebratory drinks with ownership fast enough.

In the long run, McGregor needs to take care of himself a little more in the ring. Not so much keeping his hands up, he does a very good job of managing reach so he's able to keep his hands down to protect his body without issue, but he was being taken down without much protest. It surprised me, actually, how taken aback he seemed to be by a very logical strategy. Granted, he only had 10 days to prepare for Mendes. Many fighters will be seeking to test McGregor's ground game and we'll see how he develops.

Last edited:
Too many people (including fighters, not just the media types who love to shit on anything like that) aren't happy with or optimistic about the whole thing, and unless they're actually opening the books and showing us "see this is how much of the cut the fighters are getting," or even if they're being honest that most of it is getting paid out to the fighters, 70 mil over 6 years with 47 shows a year, 10-13 fights on a card...how many people are shelling out 95 bucks for a (insert random lower tier fighter here) for them to ever see a cut of that anyway?

Maybe the price tag isn't as batshit crazy as I think it is, because I don't know what other sports charge for their jerseys.

When the difference between Aldo/McGregor (the fight everyone wanted in the first place) and Aldo/Mendes comes down to 3 seconds, those 3 seconds matter. McGregor likely would have won either way, but it felt like he couldn't be given the belt and celebratory drinks with ownership fast enough.

In the long run, McGregor needs to care of himself a little more in the ring. Not so much keeping his hands up, he does a very good job of managing reach so he's able to keep his hands down to protect his body without issue, but he was being taken down without much protest. It surprised me, actually, how taken aback he seemed to be by a very logical strategy. Granted, he only had 10 days to prepare for Mendes.

I don't know, I feel like they were more of in a rush to call McGregor the winner after the Siver fight than this one.

If someone teaches McGregor how to defend a takedown, I'd be concerned we don't get rid of him. Maybe full camp Mendes doesn't forget his footwork at home.

I still don't see what the clock has to do with it. A stoppage is either deemed correct or premature, or perhaps too late. There was a fight last month that went way too long, I forget which one but the ref just won't stop this guy from getting brain damage.

There have been may questionable stops. The fact that Mendes did not complain should put to rest this one. If Conor landed that left hook 4 seconds later Chad would have probably got through that round.

Right, I forgot about Halloway, he should get a shot before a rematch. Also, somebody could get lucky and upset Conor. He does have two loses. They are both on Fight Pass. What makes MMA kind of fun is even the biggest long shot can get lucky sometimes.

Last edited:
I don't know, I feel like they were more of in a rush to call McGregor the winner after the Siver fight than this one.

If someone teaches McGregor how to defend a takedown, I'd be concerned we don't get rid of him. Maybe full camp Mendes doesn't forget his footwork at home.

Siver is a VETERAN

YOU KNOW THIS GUY HE'S A LEGEND

NEW SCHOOL DEFEATED OLD SCHOOL

YOU SAW IT HERE WE HAVE A NEW STAR LOOK AT HIM BUY HIS GEAR NOW

Forget that Siver was 35 years old and has been on a skid for years now

Fight of the Night: Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald
Performance of the Night: Conor McGregor and Thomas Almeida

I still don't see what the clock has to do with it. A stoppage is either deemed correct or premature, or perhaps too late. There was a fight last month that went way too long, I forget which one but the ref just won't stop this guy from getting brain damage.

There have been may questionable stops. The fact that Mendes did not complain should put to rest this one. If Conor landed that left hook 4 seconds later Chad would have probably got through that round.

Right, I forgot about Halloway, he should get a shot before a rematch. Also, somebody could get lucky and upset Conor. He does have two loses. They are both on Fight Pass. What makes MMA kind of fun is even the biggest long shot can get lucky sometimes.
Arlovski / Brown went too long, in my opinion. Not sure if that's the fight you meant. That fight upset me a little in how long it went on.

Conor wasn't doing much to Mendes on the ground. I've seen people punch arms like that for 10 - 15 seconds before the ref finally says, 'yeah, you're right, he's not going to get out of this'. Mendes collapsed to the ground and I thought it was over, but he seemed to shell himself up and was holding down the fort, in my opinion, until the end of the round.

It doesn't matter, because I'm sure there would have been about 15 more seconds of fighting in round 3. I just thought it was a slightly premature call.

It was Mark Hunt - Stipe Miocic
Hunt was beat almost senseless not defending, the ref kept asking him for a verbal tap out

Last edited:
I forget who that ref was, but he was bad. Mirgliota sometimes let's things go on, on average a bit longer than they should.

Siver is a VETERAN

YOU KNOW THIS GUY HE'S A LEGEND

NEW SCHOOL DEFEATED OLD SCHOOL

YOU SAW IT HERE WE HAVE A NEW STAR LOOK AT HIM BUY HIS GEAR NOW

Forget that Siver was 35 years old and has been on a skid for years now

And had just had a year off because he got popped for steroids.

Only thing I mentioned the clock for was that it had gone away off my screen so I didn't actually know at what particular second the fight was stopped.

Who knows if Herb Dean even heard the 10 second clapper. He probably had no idea where the clock was either.

two biggest things to happen for MMA in the last few years are
Ronda Rousey and Conor McGreggor, they both seem to have quite a few detractors. They have both taken the sport to new heights and popularity.

It was reasonable to be critical of Conor, he rose faster than his record deserved. But with that performance last night, he answered a lot of the criticism. I hope there is a rematch with Mendes within a year or so. I think Mendes had the advantage this time. He has had a lot of experience with strikers. McGreggor prepared for a striker and ended up facing the best wrestler in the division. A lot of people are saying Conor is too big for feather weight he should move up. Had me wondering. I say bullshit on that. He always makes weight and looks healthy doing it. Also looking at that lightweight division, he would get eaten alive. A better question is, if Conor beats Aldo, Frankie and Halloway are there any lightweights that might be tempted to come down to 145?

Last edited:
Bought a GSP jersey and a bunch of random sale shirts and shorts (got one for the event I attended for like $40 less than they were selling them then). Will wait for it to show up to check the sizing, then might order some others. Don't think a Ceronne one exists yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom