Metal appreciation thread.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
After hearing snippets on the local alternative radio station here in Australia of Dave Grohl's new metal inspired album, I forgot how much I love this genre of music. As a young teenager I really loved the likes of Sepultura, Pantera and Fear Factory but as music evolves a lot of the newer harder bands went into the 'rap metal' kind of style, anyway is there anyone out there who still digs harder music?????

my top 5 metal songs,

Sepultura- Ratamahatta
Pantera- Heresy
Fear Factory- Resurrection
Soundgarden- Jesus christ pose
Black Sabbath- War pigs- I know its an oldie, but hey its such a classic and friends of mine who play in a local covers band do such a great version of this, so I kinda feel like it is still a newy:wink:

Oh yes, things that tickle my fancy as of late:

Black Sabbath - (Classic, I cant get enough)
Metallica - (ok, I finally admit that the new album was messed)
Rage Against the Machine - (I guess they're metal, one of my favorite bands ever regardless. Audioslave is extremely sweet too, that's more 'hard rock' I suppose)
Nightwish - (I dont own any of their albums, but I've listened to them a lot lately)
Opeth - (A band I dont know nearly enough about, but everytime I hear them I like it. Their acoustic album was brilliant)

Last edited:
I was waiting for a threat like this

metal :bow:

i like...
Apocaliptica...
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath :bow:
Nightwish is so cool...
Sepultura
Stratovarius... (imagine a medieval war with this music)

Cage (Now Im DARKER THAN BLACKK)

Blind Guardian (And than there was silence)

Judas Priest (Brighter than a thousand suuuUUUUUUUN) Halford is a great gay

Metal :hmm: , I like some metal bands
my top 5 metal bands:

Dimmu Borgir (fav song: Entrance)
Six Feet Under (The Enemy Inside)
Pain (Injected Paradise)
Children of Bodom (Warheart)
Immortal (Mountains of Might)

other bands that i like:

Rotting Christ, Soilwork, Opeth, Emperor, Arch Enemy, Dark Funeral, Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem, Theatre of Tragedy, Lacuna Coil, Bathory, Hipocrisy, Finntroll, etc.

and of course... the classics: Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Sepultura and Pantera

I don't like power metal (Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Stratovarious, etc.) and nu metal

and... that's all :)

Jack In The Box said:
Metal :hmm: , I like some metal bands
my top 5 metal bands:

Dimmu Borgir (fav song: Entrance)
Six Feet Under (The Enemy Inside)
Pain (Injected Paradise)
Children of Bodom (Warheart)
Immortal (Mountains of Might)

Lacuna Coil

I don't like power metal (Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Stratovarious, etc.)

Another Black /Death Metal Fan:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Like you like actually those cheesy Lacuna Coil instead Iced Earth or Blind Guardian phew what a bad Trip.

I still can?t understand why people keen on those growling vocal (not Lacuna Coil but the other aformentioned bands) instead of those majestic operatic vocals. Guess they?ve been retarded.

Im wondering if you are really u2 fan. I mean dont be offended , but most of Nu Metal Band fans will be embarrased after listening to real Metal Band like IM or Metallica and leave the bandwagon and jump to the heavy metal train. But im not leaving or many aren?t (dont plan also to do it) u2?s wagon , altough u2 are not as skilled as those Metal band ?(Fuck what am i saying). I would prefer to listen to any Edge?s atmospheric Riffs rather than those blasting solos from John Petrucci. Its because u2 have th?ir own trademark, which cant be copied (i mean Like iced Earth copy ron Maiden, Dimmu Borgir Mayhem ,Dream Theater Rush etc). And i can?t recall having any metal cd?s which is better than the Unforgettable Fire.

So the conclusion would be: U2 are the best band in the worlddespite of their lack of skill. They show the world that art can oly be created by art itself but not by grandious accomplished Music Skill , or highly complex arragements. #

Amen

oh come crawling, you're a bit hard!! :) metal is not an easy genre to listen, i agree with you under certain aspects, for instance on the black/death metal, i think as much that this is not music, just evil noise :macdevil: :) but there are other genres, like power metal and especially progressive metal, that every fine music expert should know. of course edge is fabulous, but john petrucci...he's a master ;) anyway there are so many good metal guitarists like steve vai, joe satriani, malmsteen, steve morse or michael romeo (just a few names) who really know what music is!! and when i see all the r&b videos running on tv, so senseless music where the deepest verse that you can hear is "baby, i love you", now this makes me angry!! :mad:

Come Crawling, what are you talking about? I guess you already know U2 are not a metal band...and what Jack in the Box posted is simply her own personal taste, and therefore perfectly ok...No need to be offensive.

Back on topic though, I accidently downloaded some Lacuna Coil a while back and didn't listen to it until someone over at the Bush board was recommending them to someone else, so I gave them a listen. They're not too bad. I am not very knowledgeable on metal. It actually gets me all confused after a while when it starts blending from plain old hard rock. Too many labels for music genres these days. I can't keep up.
I like Metallica though. On CD. The rest I am not sure which category they come under so wont post them.
:huh:

babyman said:
i think dream theater is the best metal band in the world, this is not just a band, this is an orchestra!! other good bands are symphony x, angra

Okay , i was at their (DT) concert. They are fantastic i agree, but U2 have this kind of Magnet . U know those songs like Gloria, October (f**kin great.1 and half minute pure relaxness and power ,S**t), The Unforgettable Fire , New Years Day ,Pride, Bad, Where The Street has no Name , Red Mining Hill Town and a lot more to mention can?t be written by Dream Theater , cause they just don?t posses this ?catchiness? , or whatever you like to call it. U2 haven?t studied at Berkeley Music University, they just play by their own definition of art, not complexity, or accomplished music skill are their greatest weapon, but they are reliing on their musicianship.ANd that works hell good.

And yes i agree, that Dream Theater should have gathered more Popularity than Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Korn, or even Metallica, or those R & B artists.

And if you are telling me, that succes in our life is a function (mathematically) from Talent, Hard Work, and Perfection, well , you?ve lost, Pal. DT are one of those example, or perhaps George Winston, Gabrielle Roth, Steve Roach, Kitaro, Yanni , Bill Douglas, Paul Simon, etc.

Who fuck cares about MTV anyway ?

Angela Harlem said:

I am not very knowledgeable on metal. It actually gets me all confused after a while when it starts blending from plain old hard rock. Too many labels for music genres these days. I can't keep up.

I suggest you Somewhere In Time (Iron Maiden) for begginer.

Don't forget the classic 80's metal bands. They get too much grief. There was a lot of good stuff I still listen to. Slaughter, Poison, Guns and Roses, Faster Pussycat, Skid Row, Britney Fox, even some Warrant and Ratt. Maybe not badass enough for some of you but very entertaining.

Last edited:
Come Crawling said:

I suggest you Somewhere In Time (Iron Maiden) for begginer.

I have some Iron Maiden floating around here, never listened to it once though.
I've got a whole bunch of likes, like some metallica but then others like TOOL, Rammstein, Ra etc...even hard rock like Bush...I list this and someone will come in in a hissy and say "You can't call that metal!"

And I say why not.
:huh:

The lines of distinction are too blurry.

Purists annoy me on the whole, if they come with this attitude :wink:

come crawling, you were at a dream theater concert??? didn't you like them? they're excellent live! i don't know how many dt albums or songs you may know, but i can tell you that they made a lot of melodic songs. anyway, didn't you know that u2 is one of their favourite band? especially for the singer, james labrie, and for the drummer, the great great great mike portnoy! in fact dream theater did a few u2 cover, for instance bad and red hill mining town... all in all they didn't a bad work!:up:

babyman said:
come crawling, you were at a dream theater concert??? didn't you like them? they're excellent live! i don't know how many dt albums or songs you may know, but i can tell you that they made a lot of melodic songs. anyway, didn't you know that u2 is one of their favourite band? especially for the singer, james labrie, and for the drummer, the great great great mike portnoy! in fact dream theater did a few u2 cover, for instance bad and red hill mining town... all in all they didn't a bad work!:up:

Yea , i had to pay like 35 Euro for the entrance ticket (cheaper as Iron Maiden?s). They are trully great musicians, and Labrie has no such big mouth like Dickinson, so it was OK, like 3 Hours pure of satisfaction instead of bashing Metallica?s latest Album.

TOOL how could I forget these guys, just love em, one of my main concert regrets was not seeing them live, when they came to Australia in 97, promoting the ?nema stuff, never mind. I especially love opiate and hooker with a penis- I just love the irony in the lyrics in that song:wink:

Come Crawling said:

Another Black /Death Metal Fan:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Like you like actually those cheesy Lacuna Coil instead Iced Earth or Blind Guardian phew what a bad Trip.

I still can?t understand why people keen on those growling vocal (not Lacuna Coil but the other aformentioned bands) instead of those majestic operatic vocals. Guess they?ve been retarded.

Im wondering if you are really u2 fan. I mean dont be offended , but most of Nu Metal Band fans will be embarrased after listening to real Metal Band like IM or Metallica and leave the bandwagon and jump to the heavy metal train. But im not leaving or many aren?t (dont plan also to do it) u2?s wagon , altough u2 are not as skilled as those Metal band ?(Fuck what am i saying). I would prefer to listen to any Edge?s atmospheric Riffs rather than those blasting solos from John Petrucci. Its because u2 have th?ir own trademark, which cant be copied (i mean Like iced Earth copy ron Maiden, Dimmu Borgir Mayhem ,Dream Theater Rush etc). And i can?t recall having any metal cd?s which is better than the Unforgettable Fire.

So the conclusion would be: U2 are the best band in the worlddespite of their lack of skill. They show the world that art can oly be created by art itself but not by grandious accomplished Music Skill , or highly complex arragements. #

Amen

:laugh:

I'm music fan and U2 is my fav band

that's all what I have to say

St ANger won the Grammy for Best Metal Performance.

GRAMMY = SHIT! . Altough the best song goes to a band which deserves it (Coldplay?s Clock)

Ministry

one of the coolest bands on the planet during their peak, which was around 1990 thereabouts

the band is not recognised as much because they are about the music rather than being showboats

suggested albums

Psalm69 - N.W.O, Just One Fix, Hero, Jesus Built My Hotrod, Title Track

The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste - So What, Breathe, Thieves, Burning Inside (hardest song you'll ever hear!)

Land of Rape and Honey - Stigmata, Deity, The Missing, Flashback, Title Track; not as much metal in this album, more industrial like Nine Inch Nails

Animositisomina - Animosity, Broken, Unsung

other songs - Reload, What About Us (from the Motion Picture A.I), and i recommend Linger Ficken Good by the Revolting Cocks, a side project of the band leader where they murdered the Rod Steward ballad "Do You Think Im Sexy?" and Gila Copter

via my sons, I listen to metal regularly.
they are gradually leaving home and taking their music collections with them. I'll miss it. I watched the Fear Factory performance at the Big Day Out Last night. I was trying to express what it is about that style of music I like...I couldn't put it into words properly. "The grind" is the closest I came. It can be so much fun having a good old head bang.
I love as always, some of the tender moments
Pantera- Planet Caravan
Soulfly- Soulfly, Tree of Life

Hearing some of the songs bring back powerful memories. Max Cavalera is one of my faves. I've been spending more time in my son's room lately( it has the DVD player) and I love looking at all his band posters...what a gorgeous bunch.
The Outsider magazine just closed down.We only ever paid one year's subscription but they kept sending them to us. Hayley the editor was sweet and had so much fun . I enjoyed the reviews , letters and artwork from the younguns. Outsider produced a compilation CD of the most popular bands they had worked with and sent it to all their members as a farewell gift.....
and people say bad things about metal...how thoughtful and generous.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom