Met Bono and (kinda) Edge in San Diego

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miroslava said:
Hmmm not to hijack the thread away from Ruffian, but Diamond... did Bono recognize you from your lil' meet in Boston? :wink:

and this picture is :drool:

miroslava, hijack away! there is no way he could NOT remember Dave...plus he was looking right at him at the second show on a few occasions.

*picture edited by Sicy. Edited per request of the person who's pictures they are

A friend of mine who is a screenwriter drove down from LA to SD to spend the day and a night...she wrote up a nice essay and I guess plans to publish it somewhere. This probably isn't the appropriate thread, but it ties to my meeting, so here it is. Yikes, it's a little personal, but here goes:

"Months ago, my friend Barbara cheerfully informed her friends and family that she was having a mid-life crisis, took a sabbatical from her tenured associate professor position at a university, and prepared to leave home to follow U2 around the country. I drove down to spend the night with her in a San Diego at a Holiday Inn across from the Sports Arena. Barbara and I have been friends since we were 15. We’ve known each other since we were 12, but she couldn’t stand me then because I wore Polo shirts and smoked Virginia Slims. Both those choices were admittedly questionable, but the judgment stopped when we got drivers licenses. We’ve survived health issues, appalling behavior, discomforting fashions and evil lovers. Nothing fazes us about the other. At lunch on the bay, squinting at sailboats, we decided that mid life was the best thing that ever happened to us. Our teens and twenties were pure chaos, nothing but trouble, a blur. The thirties were still unsettled, but when we turned 40, we washed our faces and relaxed. Now that we’re further from youth and closer to death, Barbara has given herself permission to become a fanatic for the next eight months. This was not a reckless pronouncement, but a joyful determination. She’s seeing fourteen U2 shows in eight cities. She’s enthusiastically dragging herself to cold, dark parking lots before dawn to set up a lawn chair and wait in line for sixteen hours so she can be one of two hundred people who may, if blessed, feel the spray of Bono’s sweat. She does it because she loves the band, she has for twenty-five years, and because she’s never had the freedom or the money to chase the thrill of a perfect experience.

We discussed titanic questions over seafood salads: what is consciousness? How do cells, which are inside bodies, inside ecosystems, inside galaxies all manage to work? We agreed that even if it’s all an accident, it’s inspired. So, here we are, capable of thought, of connection, of being moved. Why not follow a band around the country?

She’s made friends with other obsessed fans in ticket lines and on message boards. They bring each other water and sandwiches while waiting; they trade pictures of last night’s show, share lore about Bono’s kindness, and are kind to one another in turn. Not just because Bono would want it that way, but because they are like-minded. The parking lot is Utopian. The concert is religious. After hours of braving the sun or rain, when the band launches into a song, they disclose themselves to one another with a look. They have a collective moment. It’s different than making dinner or being stuck in traffic. It’s the upside of existence. Last night Barbara called from the line. Bono stopped in his SUV and Barbara blurted something about becoming an anthropologist, partly because of his message. She said she had two students working in Africa and it would mean something to them to have a picture of the two of them. His handlers said, “No time for pictures,” but Bono stepped out of the truck and summoned Barbara across the security tape. He said, “But I want one with my anthropologist friend.” He told her that she did important work and put his arm around her. The photograph reveals a diminutive rock star with my friend Barbara, who after nine hours in line looks disheveled and sunburned and electric. Bono looks grave – they’d just been discussing Africa, after all, and are conscious that life is not nearly so magical everywhere. But here, in this moment, it is for Barbara. She is having the time of her life, which is the point. And both she and Bono, incidentally, are middle aged."

Last edited:
ramblin rose said:
That's a great essay.
That was a great essay and accurate except the part about Ruffian hitting 40.:wink:
Hmmm not to hijack the thread away from Ruffian, but Diamond... did Bono recognize you from your lil' meet in Boston

Bono always acknowledges me w eye contact.I decided that since I had my one grand moment -from now on my aim is only to help others have their turn w Bono.:wink:

I was glad to see Ruffian and Bono make their a connection.:hug:

Bono and I spoke briefly and after Ruffian, I was trying to steer him towards agentmissa and he let me know that he wasn't about to miss her.:hug:

Lastly it can now be argued for the record that
Bono
has
very
sexy
feet:angry:

thank u-

db9

:wink:

Diamond... you have way too much info on me :shame:

thanks for everything :hug:
check your PMs...

Bono's Doll said:
You are one lucky girl! Bono's feet :drool:
i swear, he looked liked he just gotten up from a nap. i have this image of him shuffling into the car all sleepy...:drool:

34355%3A%3A723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3B798%3B683ot1lsi
several fans have emailed me pics of this event so ithought i'd post some here :wink:
34355%3A%3A723232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3B79939%3C6ot1lsi
our friend smiling
34355%3A%3A723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3B798%3A3%3A%3Bot1lsi

enjoy.:)

db9

Lovely story Ruffian.

At first I believed this to be an aprilfool farce, Bono barefoot??? Putting on his socks in the car??:laugh:

But the pics prove it and it looks hilarious.

I just don't understand why on earth he arrives half dressed at the venue lol

Congrats on meeting the man :drool:

His lil feet :cute:

That is a lovely essay your friend wrote Ruffian! :heart:

And Diamond thanks for the lovely pics :drool: and stories!

greety said:
Lovely story Ruffian.

At first I believed this to be an aprilfool farce, Bono barefoot??? Putting on his socks in the car??:laugh:

But the pics prove it and it looks hilarious.

I just don't understand why on earth he arrives half dressed at the venue lol

Congrats on meeting the man :drool:

alot of times Bono is rushed from a slumber to head to a venue.

his clothes and costumes are waiting at the venue..so he could have be thinking-
"i will put me shoes/socks on at the venue once i arrive there"..but saw all of us and..:hmm: changed his mind.:) and found his sockies and shoes.
db9

Last edited:
i noticed that! it was all red...but i think he did have an earring in it that night...

This is so awesome! :D

Diamond are you the guy that picked up Bono on stage at the Elevation Tour?? I read about that in this book called U2 Live....

What other shows are you attending?

U2Girl1978 said:
This is so awesome! :D

Diamond are you the guy that picked up Bono on stage at the Elevation Tour?? I read about that in this book called U2 Live....

What other shows are you attending?

no that was a different big guy.:wink:

im only going to Phx this leg both nights.:)

db9

U2Girl, don't be fooled! Diamond, I want to email the Mexico guy...do you have his email?

ruffian said:

It was great to meet him, and he struck me as very relaxed, easy to talk to, and had an amazing way of making eye contact that almost felt like staring, but not in an invasive way. He’s very intense, very soft-spoken, and incredibly kind to fans.
meandbono.bmp

I'm so glad you got some quality Bono time....it's priceless :drool: huh?
He has such a gentle way about him that's the one thing that blew me away when I met him last year. It was great meeting you sweetie!

Re: Re: Met Bono and (kinda) Edge in San Diego

karmic_postmark said:

I'm so glad you got some quality Bono time....it's priceless :drool: huh?
He has such a gentle way about him that's the one thing that blew me away when I met him last year. It was great meeting you sweetie!

so fun to meet you too!!! hope i see you at other shows.

U2Girl, he took them off during SYCMIOYO and I'm pretty sure for One. But they were on an awful lot :(

NicaMom said:
Diamond, these pictures belong to me , they were in a private album, how did get them?
I really want to keep them private.
Thank You!
Mariana

My bad Mariana. I e-mailed them to him. I promise to ask you next time. :(

Perhaps a mod can take them out for you?

I'm really really sorry.

ruffian said:
A friend of mine who is a screenwriter drove down from LA to SD to spend the day and a night...she wrote up a nice essay and I guess plans to publish it somewhere. This probably isn't the appropriate thread, but it ties to my meeting, so here it is. Yikes, it's a little personal, but here goes:

"Months ago, my friend Barbara cheerfully informed her friends and family that she was having a mid-life crisis, took a sabbatical from her tenured associate professor position at a university, and prepared to leave home to follow U2 around the country. I drove down to spend the night with her in a San Diego at a Holiday Inn across from the Sports Arena. Barbara and I have been friends since we were 15. We’ve known each other since we were 12, but she couldn’t stand me then because I wore Polo shirts and smoked Virginia Slims. Both those choices were admittedly questionable, but the judgment stopped when we got drivers licenses. We’ve survived health issues, appalling behavior, discomforting fashions and evil lovers. Nothing fazes us about the other. At lunch on the bay, squinting at sailboats, we decided that mid life was the best thing that ever happened to us. Our teens and twenties were pure chaos, nothing but trouble, a blur. The thirties were still unsettled, but when we turned 40, we washed our faces and relaxed. Now that we’re further from youth and closer to death, Barbara has given herself permission to become a fanatic for the next eight months. This was not a reckless pronouncement, but a joyful determination. She’s seeing fourteen U2 shows in eight cities. She’s enthusiastically dragging herself to cold, dark parking lots before dawn to set up a lawn chair and wait in line for sixteen hours so she can be one of two hundred people who may, if blessed, feel the spray of Bono’s sweat. She does it because she loves the band, she has for twenty-five years, and because she’s never had the freedom or the money to chase the thrill of a perfect experience.

We discussed titanic questions over seafood salads: what is consciousness? How do cells, which are inside bodies, inside ecosystems, inside galaxies all manage to work? We agreed that even if it’s all an accident, it’s inspired. So, here we are, capable of thought, of connection, of being moved. Why not follow a band around the country?

She’s made friends with other obsessed fans in ticket lines and on message boards. They bring each other water and sandwiches while waiting; they trade pictures of last night’s show, share lore about Bono’s kindness, and are kind to one another in turn. Not just because Bono would want it that way, but because they are like-minded. The parking lot is Utopian. The concert is religious. After hours of braving the sun or rain, when the band launches into a song, they disclose themselves to one another with a look. They have a collective moment. It’s different than making dinner or being stuck in traffic. It’s the upside of existence. Last night Barbara called from the line. Bono stopped in his SUV and Barbara blurted something about becoming an anthropologist, partly because of his message. She said she had two students working in Africa and it would mean something to them to have a picture of the two of them. His handlers said, “No time for pictures,” but Bono stepped out of the truck and summoned Barbara across the security tape. He said, “But I want one with my anthropologist friend.” He told her that she did important work and put his arm around her. The photograph reveals a diminutive rock star with my friend Barbara, who after nine hours in line looks disheveled and sunburned and electric. Bono looks grave – they’d just been discussing Africa, after all, and are conscious that life is not nearly so magical everywhere. But here, in this moment, it is for Barbara. She is having the time of her life, which is the point. And both she and Bono, incidentally, are middle aged."

VERY touching, and oh so true. Brought tears to my eyes. You're awesome, Ruff!! :hug:

Last edited:
BostonAnne said:

My bad Mariana. I e-mailed them to him. I promise to ask you next time. :(

Perhaps a mod can take them out for you?

I'm really really sorry.

Done.

Back
Top Bottom