MERGED--> you know this looks EXACTLY like elevation + people comparing tour to last

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mikal said:

i'm not that familiar with internet terminology, but it seems that you're borderline trolling.

i hope you're just having a bad day, i usually enjoy your posts.

I'm expressing my opinion about a trivial and useless topic. And enjoying the reaction of the incredible open minded U2 fans we have here.

I could say everything is great, and soak up posts from people saying "yeah, this is great, you're so right!"

Would that be trolling as well?

How can it be a greatest hits tour when nearly 1/3 of the whole F'in concert is off an album released a few months ago!!!!!:huh:

I'm going to 15 shows, 5 on the 1st leg and 10 on the return to NA and while some will be better than others ALL of them beat any other concert out there.

ah. it's all all good. i used to enjoy getting a rise out of people too. have fun!

MrBrau1 said:

It's really not that hard here.

U2 fans have the thinnest skins on the planet.

i wouldn't necessarily say that. i thinking more along the lines of how easy it is just to contradict what others type on the internet, ultimately getting a rise out of them.

:wink:

mikal said:

i wouldn't necessarily say that. i thinking more along the lines of how easy it is just to contradict what others type on the internet, ultimately getting a rise out of them.

:wink:

Well, then I'd be trolling:wink:

But I actually think the set is terrible and could/should be SO MUCH BETTER! I was going to go to 2 shows. But I'll sell my Hartford tix to a buddy. I was gonna go with him, but I'll let him take his wife instead. This set just isn't worth paying for more than once. No matter what their reasons ($), it's a terrible set. The word brave doesn't apply at all.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

It's my opinion. It can't be wrong. Lemming.

No, it can be wrong. This isn't a greatest hits tour. Fact.

You're wrong.

I think MrBrau1 is funny. Not as funny as those that yell at him, but funny still.

Criticize away...its your right! Defend your U2 faith oh ye fans.

By the way I love the show...and I am not being sarcastic.

Axver said:

No, it can be wrong. This isn't a greatest hits tour. Fact.

You're wrong.

Imagine that. Axver telling someone their critical opinion of U2 is wrong. :ohmy: The ever loyal little soldier.

Last edited:
you know this looks EXACTLY like elevation

2005%20-%20Vertigo%20Tour%2F2005-05-09%20-%20Chicago%2FPhoto%20%2011.jpg

admit it!!!! but you know what? i realized something, maybe this is the new "b" stage or stage going out into the crowd from now on. when popmart had its "b" stage, were people ripping on it for look exactly like zootv's? maybe on the next two tours (gd willing) they will create another type of front stage that stretches out.

MrBrau1 said:

Why would you see the same show 5 times? For like 2 different songs?

Why would anyone see any U2 tour more than once? Most tours are pretty static setlist. This is a more varied setlist than Elevation, and plenty of people saw more than a few shows.

I saw 5 shows in the first leg, and plan on a few more in the fall. It's my/our choice. Right or Wrong. Just like your choice to only see one. I hope they don't have an "off-night" the only time you decide to see them. (see Anaheim1 for more info)

i am becoming more and more depressed when reading all these reviews, opinions,latest DVDs....Now when they have the name "Biggest Band In The World", they' re gonna rip us of??!?

Chrisedge said:

Why would anyone see any U2 tour more than once? Most tours are pretty static setlist. This is a more varied setlist than Elevation, and plenty of people saw more than a few shows.

I saw 5 shows in the first leg, and plan on a few more in the fall. It's my/our choice. Right or Wrong. Just like your choice to only see one. I hope they don't have an "off-night" the only time you decide to see them. (see Anaheim1 for more info)

Is that really what people are doing? Going to 3 or 4 shows to cover their ass? because they know odds are pretty good they'll get a suck show?

Should U2 give admission to 2 concerts with each ticket?

MrBrau1 said:

Is that really what people are doing? Going to 3 or 4 shows to cover their ass? because they know odds are pretty good they'll get a suck show?

Should U2 give admission to 2 concerts with each ticket?

wow. talk about twisting words around.:wink: :|

MrBrau1 said:
Imagine that. Axver telling someone their critical opinion of U2 is wrong. :ohmy: The ever loyal little soldier.

What percentage of songs in a setlist must be "greatest hits" to be able to call a tour a "greatest hits tour"?

Let's look at last night's setlist, (not including Party Girl, which is a rarity that as likely as not will not been seen again on this tour) and see how many of the songs are "greatest hits" songs. # marks a song off of a "best of" album.

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
The Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh
Into the Heart
# Beautiful Day
# New Year's Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
# Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
# Pride (In The Name Of Love)
# Where the Streets Have No Name
# One

Zoo Station
# The Fly
# Mysterious Ways

All Because of You
Yahweh

So, 8/23 makes a greatest hits tour? :ohmy:

Just for the hell of it, let's do the same thing with Elevation, and not count current album releases as "greatest hits". This is the set from Boston on June 5, 2001:

Elevation
Beautiful Day
# Until the End of the World
# Mysterious Ways
Stuck In a Moment
Kite
# Gone
New York
# I Will Follow
# Sunday Bloody Sunday
In a Little While
# Desire
# Stay (Far away, so close!)
# Bad
# Pride

Bullet the Blue Sky
# With or Without You
# The Fly
# One
Walk On

13/21 were off of the "best of" albums. The only non-ATYCLB, non-"best of" song in there was Bullet The Blue Sky. That I can buy as a "greatest hits, plus the brand new stuff" tour.

But a tour where they play Electric Co., An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Gloria, The Ocean, Running To Stand Still, Zoo Station, and "40" on a regular basis can't honestly be considered a "greatest hits tour".

(Edit: and I should also point out that a "greatest hits tour" would be greatest hits and only greatest hits.)

Last edited:
knox said:

What percentage of songs in a setlist must be "greatest hits" to be able to call a tour a "greatest hits tour"?

Let's look at last night's setlist, (not including Party Girl, which is a rarity that as likely as not will not been seen again on this tour) and see how many of the songs are "greatest hits" songs. # marks a song off of a "best of" album.

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
The Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh
Into the Heart
# Beautiful Day
# New Year's Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
# Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
# Pride (In The Name Of Love)
# One

Zoo Station
# The Fly
# Mysterious Ways

All Because of You
Yahweh

So, 8/23 makes a greatest hits tour? :ohmy:

Just for the hell of it, let's do the same thing with Elevation, and not count current album releases as "greatest hits". This is the set from Boston on June 5, 2001:

Elevation
Beautiful Day
# Until the End of the World
# Mysterious Ways
Stuck In a Moment
Kite
# Gone
New York
# I Will Follow
# Sunday Bloody Sunday
In a Little While
# Desire
# Stay (Far away, so close!)
# Bad
# Pride

Bullet the Blue Sky
# With or Without You
# The Fly
# One
Walk On

13/21 were off of the "best of" albums. The only non-ATYCLB, non-"best of" song in there was Bullet The Blue Sky. That I can buy as a "greatest hits, plus the brand new stuff" tour.

But a tour where they play Electric Co., An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Gloria, The Ocean, Running To Stand Still, Zoo Station, and "40" on a regular basis can't honestly be considered a "greatest hits tour".

(Edit: and I should also point out that a "greatest hits tour" would be greatest hits and only greatest hits.)

That's good math.

And the set still sucks.

knox said:
But it's not a greatest hits tour.

Just so we're clear. :wink:

Damn. Your good. Everyone else here just yelled at me to sell my tickets and "the tour is great, how dare you question the great U2." My problem is the songs themselves: Streets, One, Pride, SBS, NYD, Bullet, Elevation, Mysterious Ways, Bad. Only way to make it worse would be to throw WOWY in there.

They could do so much better.

knox said:

And it's hard to disagree with. The "container catwalk" is brilliant. The only other thing that would come close to it would be a catwalk that went all the way down the middle of the arena floor, and was subject to heavy use.

I don't remember, could've been Willie Williams, who said it was Adam's idea to have that hollowed out part of the "heart" for the Elevation tour.

The stage may be similar set up, but what's going on, isn't the same. Adam's walkabouts, Larry's keyboard thing, Bono drumming, hehe who is apparently ruining the drum skins. Edge got one of those hand's free microphones, good idea, so he can move around more too.

You can't throw Streets away, it's a necessary component of a U2 show. I even want them to go back to the red background (though there is a ton of that going on at these shows).

I'll be honest, I could live without One, Pride, Bullet The Blue Sky, and definitely Elevation. I agree that they have a ton of good songs (The Unforgettable Fire, Wire, Exit, Mofo, Last Night On Earth, and Gone, to name a few of my favorites) that they could be playing instead.

Sunday Bloody Sunday sounds better than it did on Elevation, Mysterious Ways is great in the first encore (Until The End Of The World would be phenomenal instead, though), and Bad is my favorite U2 song of all time. I can see why you think that New Year's Day is getting tired, I really think they should play October before it again, it would really breathe some new energy into it -- but again, I'm finding it better on this tour than on Elevation. In fact, the only songs I liked more on Elevation of all the songs that have been played on both tours would have to be Streets and Elevation itself.

I agree with you on With Or Without You.

Also understand that my point of view is that of a recent fan. I've been to four U2 shows in my life, three in the last seven months, and two in the last week, so I haven't seen these songs dozens of times like a lot of people here have. On the other hand, they do have to have a greatest hits *element* to the tour, because casual fans aren't going to want to miss some of their favorite classics, which is why Pride will ALWAYS be played.

Now, let's say you're in charge of the setlist for, say, Saturday's show in Philadelphia. Realistically, what would your setlist be?

I don't think many people understand this, but the reason that they are using a similar catwalk to the Elevation one is because it was a brilliant idea.

You see, every tour U2 has something new and interesting to bring that they haven't done before, but that doesn't mean that they don't borrow ideas from past tours.

In ZOOTV the innovation was TV at rock concert with 36 video screens.

In Popmart the innovation was that bigger is better (biggest lemon, toothpick, olive, and video screen in the world).

In Elevation the innovation was the catwalk, of course.

In Vertigo the innovation is the LCD curtains, they are a brilliant idea, it's like having magic video screens where you can put em away in a matter of minutes when you don't need them for certain songs. Another innovation is the setlist; this is the first time ever U2 change setlists and songorders almost every night. And if it wasn't for the damn internet, people would be much more into the songs themselves rather then the visual aspects of the shows.

You guys see what i'm trying to say?

Yes there are some flaws with the Vertigo tour, but overall it is new idea in it's own way. I remember before this tour was announced, everyone was complaining that they hope it's not gonna be a boring set like Elevation.

And now, what I do not like about the Vertigo tour:
-Four video screens almost identical to the Elevation screens. Also, the order in which each band member is displayed in the screens, same as last time.

-EVERYONE, EVERYONE, EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Infinitum98 said:
Another innovation is the setlist; this is the first time ever U2 change setlists and songorders almost every night.

Just a correction here: the song order isn't changing that much, and it is NOTHING like the variation on Lovetown.

In terms of setlists, Lovetown was EASILY the most innovative U2 tour. There's no disputing it. That is FACT.

Lovetown sets ... :drool:

We also have to remeber here that is U2 didn't play the classics on every tour (One, Streets, Bullet, Bad, New Years Day, etc.) there would be about 100x as many dissappointed fans then the minority of diehards that have seen every tour since 1983 or whatever it is. Especially since U2 only tour about every 3 or 4 years now, there is a whole new batch of fans every time a tour rolls around, and you know what, they all deserve to hear the "greatest hits" as much as anyone who heard them first on the Joshua Tree Tour.

edit: Oh yeah, and Axver love the Lovetown Tour. :wink:

...me too. ;)

MrBrau1 said:

Damn. Your good. Everyone else here just yelled at me to sell my tickets and "the tour is great, how dare you question the great U2." My problem is the songs themselves: Streets, One, Pride, SBS, NYD, Bullet, Elevation, Mysterious Ways, Bad. Only way to make it worse would be to throw WOWY in there.

They could do so much better.

In all honesty, how? What would you change?

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything...just curious as to how you would change the running setlist.

walkon11 said:

In all honesty, how? What would you change?

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything...just curious as to how you would change the running setlist.

I'd dump Pride, SBS, Bullet, One, NYD, and Elevation for good from the standard set.

I'd play Gone, Crumbs, Kite, OOTS, and Gloria every nite.

Alternate in "I Throw a Brick/A Day W/O Me", "Two Hearts Beat As One" and "Out Of Control."

Fuck the casual fan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom