MERGED ---> Universial Music Publishing forces lyrics to be taken down? + lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madonna's child

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Universial Music Publishing forces lyrics to be taken down?

I saw this at @U2. It explains why the lyrics are down here, too.

Dear U2 fans,

We have received an order from Universal Music Publishing <http://www.universalmusicpublishing.com/> to take down all U2 lyrics from @U2. While we fully object to the request, it is our legal obligation to comply. We are continuing to pursue a more amicable resolution that will allow us to reinstate the @U2 Lyrics section. Regretfully, you will not be able to view any lyrics on this site until we've reached such a resolution. @U2 is apparently not alone; we understand that other sites (U2wanderer.org, Interference.com) have also been ordered to remove lyrics.

Yours,
Matt McGee

Do you think U2 knows about this? I mean, they publish their lyrics in their album booklets, so I would think the band wants their fans to know and share them. As long as no one other than U2 is calling the lyrics their own or profiting off them, I don't see the problem.

Your opinions?

This is a load of bullshit. It's all because of p2p that the legal arms think that they have to shut down all potential copyright infringement. Sooner or later they'll figure out that this sort of shit hurts the fans... I hope.

Those of you that are really pissed off about this should write letters to the editor, specifically stating the name of the band. That might get a bit of attention.

Last edited:
I am HELLA pissed about this, let me tell you! I can't say for sure whether or not the band knows, cares, or was actively involved, but I CAN SAY THAT I DON'T CARE. It is beyond insane to remove lyrics from these web-sites, which house the band's primary, dedicated fan-base. I also don't understand the real reasoning behind a move such as this one (one which another band I love, Radiohead, and its label made a few years ago but seemed to reach a peaceful conclusion), but I can only assume that these lyrics are somehow seen as a hinderance to album sales or something equally INSANE. I shudder to think, friends...

My real question to Universal is this: "Who is being hurt as a result of these lyrics being posted on these sites?" Seriously. Unless U2 is planning on making their lyrics available only in liner notes or some sort of book (which nobody would buy, in the grand scheme of things...for the record), it's laughably stupid. I dunno'...this shit just drives me nuts. NOBODY IS HURT BY LYRICS. How is Universal, Apple, or the RIAA not cracking down on us with the fury of an iron-fisted, Old Testament God for sharing so many files and shit????

If you shout... said:

Seriously. Unless U2 is planning on making their lyrics available only in liner notes or some sort of book (which nobody would buy, in the grand scheme of things...for the record), it's laughably stupid.

I'd buy it. Bruce Springsteen's lyrics book, "Songs," is a really nice coffee table book. It's got intros to each album, commentary, etc.

UnforgettableLemon said:

I'd buy it. Bruce Springsteen's lyrics book, "Songs," is a really nice coffee table book. It's got intros to each album, commentary, etc.

You know the saddest part...? I'd buy it, too. I'm sure that a lot of "us" would do it, whether we really wanted to or not. What I resent (or would resent, since this is merely hypothetical) is not having a choice, you know? Like, if the ONLY way I could get the official lyrics would be to purchase something. I mean, if they're up for free forever on U2.com, then I suppose that that's okay. Not convenient in the least, since I spend a lot more time at other, FAR better sites (like this one!), but I could survive. I'm pissed, either way; the book may be nice, it may be fairly cheap, it might be pretty cool-looking, etc.....but it should never be our only choice. Hopefully it won't be. I'm increasingly skeptical after the band decided that we had to pay $150 for like 15 songs on that fucked up Digital Box Set crap.

honestly, we need to get a letter to bono/paul about this! we know that u2log has contacts with the band, gotta get them to speak up to the band about this

:(

I just have to say that I think it is fully ridiculous that fansites cannot be allowed to put U2 lyrics out there. It's hurting NO ONE.

I'm quite sure U2 would know when this type of large and public legal action is taken on their behalf. It's sad that fansites are being punished for simply wanting to share lyrics. Grr.

what's next? since the line is not being drawn at what makes logical sense, where WILL the line be drawn? will it become illegal to sing the songs as well? these money grabbers are scared to death by the internet! it is funny to see them scramble to save a buck by doing ridiculously stupid things like this.

HelloAngel said:
I just have to say that I think it is fully ridiculous that fansites cannot be allowed to put U2 lyrics out there. It's hurting NO ONE.

I'm quite sure U2 would know when this type of large and public legal action is taken on their behalf. It's sad that fansites are being punished for simply wanting to share lyrics. Grr.

you really think U2 really wants something like this to happen? its RIDICULOUS.. WHY would you ban people from putting up lyrics, that aren't even stolen from any official document.. a lot of the lyrics on u2wanderer have extra verses or are from live songs which don't even have an official lyrics sheet from the band... we need to show that we're not happy... remember, the band responded to us wanting slane on a dvd, this is something much simpler which i think they will respond to if we get our message across to them

this is going to really suck for u2wanderer because, as far as i was concerned, the lyrics were the main reason for that site to exist. i know that's where i always went to search for lyrics.

this really sucks too, because none of my pre-Achtung albums came with lyrics. that really pisses me off that apparently it's illegal for me to try and find out the lyrics to the old albums. that is how i get into an album, i sit down with the lyrics while listening to the disc, and it helps me to understand the music better. so, apparently that was wrong of me to do when i would print off the lyrics to the unforgetable fire. what a load.

The only thing I can think of is they do not want people illegally downloading songs and then be able to print off lyrics. So if somebody wants the cd AND the lyrics, then they have to buy it. I am not justifying this, just trying to think about how this could make any sense.

And, you know, it might make them a little bit of money, but I am sure the amount of money would be in the thousands, not in the millions. I would think that keeping your fan base happy is more important than a few thousand.

I was somehow - I don't know how - managing to barely tolerate this until I went to U2Wanderer.org and saw that they had been issued with a threat (and that's what it is, a THREAT, not a reasonable request). U2Wanderer.org is easily the best, most informative U2 resource on the entire Internet. You just can't beat it as a wealth of any information you could possibly want to know about any release. I won't stand for this. I cannot believe this is being done in the name of U2.

They better not fucking touch setlist sites or they really will have an explosion on their hands.

Aha - I wondered why I couldn't get the Lyrics link here to work properly yesterday.... (I was trying to check the opening line of Mysterious Ways before I blasted someone who I was SURE was misquoting it.)

It's a sad day, indeed.....and maybe, just maybe if we had a reason, we'd all understand this decision better. We mightn't like it any more than we do now, but at least there'd be some understanding. :shrug:

:down: :down: :down: :down: ...if this story goes to the press i think u2 could suffer a bad pubblicity...
Probably at Universal no one understands that U2 is a different kind of band from the BSB...a band whose albums are bought from people who want to believe U2 isn't doing music only for the money: if they erase that belief they will erase U2's success

They will probably have the lyrics at the 'new' U2.com, they won't be correct but I bet that is where we have to head in the future to look at lyrics on line.

EPandAmerica said:
They will probably have the lyrics at the 'new' U2.com, they won't be correct but I bet that is where we have to head in the future to look at lyrics on line.

...even if they don't pretend money for reading lyrics (at this point i doubt) this is the most stupid move i've ever heard of

BTW...i bought the deluxe version (with the book) and i've got NO Lyrics: do they want more money? if it wasn't indeed sad it would be even a funny contraddiction

EDIT:

anyway before you all start going at my throat for my u2 bashing...i wanna state that i DON'T believe u2 (i mean bono, larry, adam and edge) know this story and that i'm almost sure this story will pop up as soap ball...after 10 years of emotions they deserve my faith till the last minute :)

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't think U2 gives a shit that Universal Publishing is doing this. Even if Bono and company were to find out, I bet they'll rail against it publically but say, "Its out of our hands. So sorry." They'll just let it happen. Sort of pass the buck onto Universal but continue to say they had nothing to do with it (alah Negativland). Then they will go on tour and charge a hundred-plus bucks a ticket. Happy, happy! Joy, joy! :|

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom