MERGED ----> U2 to record with Green Day ? + are the hardcore green day fans...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greenday lost loads of fans when they got into the mainstream , this is taking there punk roots even further out of the ground.

As a u2 fan it doesnt bother me , actually im thrilled by it but green day fans must be hitting the panic button.

Well just look at the Mtv show when the singer in Green Day had the spootlight: BTBS live. Also one song on the latest Green Day album got a song wich have the same start as BTBS.

Peterrrrr said:
Well just look at the Mtv show when the singer in Green Day had the spootlight: BTBS live. Also one song on the latest Green Day album got a song wich have the same start as BTBS.

The same start... and that's about it (I suppose you're talking about Give Me Novacaine).

And U2 said it when releasing HTDAAB. There's only this far you can go with riff-o-rama. And I agree. The only big punk band that didn't hit a wall after recording album after album of punk songs was The Ramones. Yet, they slowly faded away. And where did the Sex Pistols go?

Listen to how The Clash started and how they ended. U2 pretty much started at The Clash's mid/late-carreer and went in a whole other direction. The Offspring blew off and away. Anyone else? A punk band that wants to transcend needs to explore something else than quick beats, angry lyrics, steady bass and rythmic-riffy guitar.

The original idea of punk was "I'm not happy with this world, but I'm not sitting here complaining about it". Does U2 fit there? I bet they do.

amerrydeath said:

:up: I alternated between HTDAAB and American Idiot when they came out.

I'm looking forward to it.

:up: Two best albums of 04. But I have to give the edge to American Idiot. :reject:

This is gonna please those who loved 409... and some of us also.

I think it's gonna go this way:
*Vocals alternating Bono and Billy J. Armstrong, and showting in the choruses and at the end.
*The solo-y guitar is going to be The Edge's work, maybe with Billy Joe Armstrong as the second guitar.

Here's where it turns blurry to me: won't it be a little overkill with two great drummers and two great bass players? (though we all know that ours are better than theirs :wink: )

Nevertheless, this has the potential to be one heck of a song.

Last edited:
The duet Bono/Billy Joe is going to be the shortest duet in the history of music.
They need to include Prince in this project. :love:

guill said:
The duet Bono/Billy Joe is going to be the shortest duet in the history of music.
They need to include Prince in this project. :love:

prince doesnt belong anywhere , he a annoys me badly.

btw is this u trying to tap into a younger market ?

bsp77 said:

:up: Two best albums of 04. But I have to give the edge to American Idiot. :reject:

I don't only because to MY ears, "Idiot" sounds WAY too much like "Dookie". It's as if Green Day went back 10 years, realized their biggest hit album, and revamped it for "Idiot". People ripped on U2 for exploring their past, but I saw the same thing with Green Day. The difference, though, is that not only is U2's career a LOT longer (which, IMO, gives them more grace at exploring their past), but also that HTDAAB shows plenty of signs for the future. I didn't really get that with "Idiot". Still, a good album!

Dookie=Back cover with moshing Ernie puppet=Awesome :rockon:

230401_CD_L_B.jpg

Wow i really love that song, it be a great live song if they can all pull it of.

doctorwho said:

I don't only because to MY ears, "Idiot" sounds WAY too much like "Dookie". It's as if Green Day went back 10 years, realized their biggest hit album, and revamped it for "Idiot".

I don't see that at all. I think that they are completely different.

Listening to American Idiot right now.

"Everyone's so full of shit, born and raised by hypocrites... We are the kids of war and peace, from Anaheim to the Middle East. We are the stories and disciples of the Jesus of Surburbia."

:drool:

bsp77 said:
Listening to American Idiot right now.

"Everyone's so full of shit, born and raised by hypocrites... We are the kids of war and peace, from Anaheim to the Middle East. We are the stories and disciples of the Jesus of Surburbia."

:drool:

:up: Excellent.

“Here they come marching down the street
Like a desperation murmur of a heart beat
Coming back from the edge of town
Underneath their feet
The time has come and it going nowhere
Nobody ever said that life was fair now
Go-carts and guns are treasures they will bear
In the summer heat
The world is spinning
Around and around
Out of control again
From the 7-11 to the fear of breaking down
To send my love a letterbomb
And visit me in hell
We're the ones going home”

Re: are the hardcore green day fans freaking out yet?

europop2005 said:
I know alot of hardcore Green Day fans who absoloutly LOATHE U2...anyone hear if they've started batting down their hatches yet?

i'm running through a green day forum right now and the majority are very receptive to this... much more so than this forum, where it seems that you either love the idea or hate it.

even the people on the green day forum who say they don't like u2 are looking forward to it with an open mind. what a strange concept... an open mind. i'm confused. somebody hold me :huh:

Last edited:
Re: Re: are the hardcore green day fans freaking out yet?

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i'm running through a green day forum right now and the majority are very receptive to this... much more so than this forum, where it seems that you either love the idea or hate it.

even the people on the green day forum who say they don't like u2 are looking forward to it with an open mind. what a strange concept... an open mind. i'm confused. somebody hold me :huh:

:lol: I think I will go check out a Green Day forum now. Never been to one.

Re: Re: Re: Re: are the hardcore green day fans freaking out yet?

LemonMelon said:

They actually seem to like talking about music instead of bashing one another's taste on the music they're talking about. :|

http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/index.php?showtopic=39757

I feel dirty.

for shame , for shame

looks like u2 have something to prove to the green day fans

A CHALLANGE to upstage green day :lol:

Back
Top Bottom