MERGED-->TOTP outside live performance + Vertigo Live Outside BBC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi. If you're referring to TOTPs at Elstree studios in October 2000, they did not play New York. They played two takes each of Beautiful Day, Elevation and Stuck In A Moment. This was recorded on the Thursday night. Elevation was shown on that Friday's show, BD was shown first thing in the new year and Stuck In A Moment was released on a TOTPs compilation DVD.

I was right near the front as well! :drool: :)

I am disgusted that TOTP has an age limit of 16 to 21!!!!!!!!!!:madspit:

I'm sure that the big majority of U2 fans are over 21 years old!!

My furious email is wingin its way to TOTP as we speak!!

:madspit: :madspit: :madspit: to TOTP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bono's Tart said:
I am disgusted that TOTP has an age limit of 16 to 21!!!!!!!!!!:madspit:

I'm sure that the big majority of U2 fans are over 21 years old!!

My furious email is wingin its way to TOTP as we speak!!

:madspit: :madspit: :madspit: to TOTP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm as pissed off as you, I was gonna try and win tix for it but I'm too bloody old.

I was going to have a rant on the TOTP message board, but the boards shut at 10pm :)huh:), I guess they're all so young they need to be in bed by then lol. I might just dust off my zimmer-frame and hobble down there anyway, if these old legs can manage it :)

UKTan said:

I'm as pissed off as you, I was gonna try and win tix for it but I'm too bloody old.

I was going to have a rant on the TOTP message board, but the boards shut at 10pm :)huh:), I guess they're all so young they need to be in bed by then lol. I might just dust off my zimmer-frame and hobble down there anyway, if these old legs can manage it :)

Well good luck!!
I'm on the brink of booking a train ticket but my oap pass hasnt arrived yet!!!:wink:

UPDATE!!!!

U2 management have asked for their own audience and guess what?????
I GOT 4 TICKETS AND WILL BE DRIVING DOWN FROM HULL TOMORROW MORNING!!!!!! :wink:

By the way I'm 42!!!!!
Age is not an issue for the U2 pre record so anyone in the UK get onto the TOTP website and get onto that ticket line now!!

UKTan said:

Shall we all show up anyway? I'm 30 and ready for a fight!

Man, there's the potential for them to be playing to thousands on London's streets. I'm looking forward to hearing what Vertigo is gonna sound live. U2 songs usually sounds a lot rawer than the studio versions, it'll be intresting to hear just how raw Vertigo get's when performed live.

From u2.com

Stop The Traffic (Again) ! It's U2 on the Street for TOTP!
The rumours are true - U2 are set to perform 'Vertigo' live and free in a BBC car park in west London, on Friday evening.

Just as the band stopped the Dublin traffic four years ago when they played Beautiful Day live from the roof of The Clarence Hotel, fans will have the opportunity to turn up at the BBC studios in Wood Lane, West London tomorrow for an outdoor performance of the new single.

Word is that a stage is already being set up with talk of the band turning up around 7pm.

Any fans who turn up will get the chance to see the band perform from the street, but the lucky U2.com competition winners will get access to the car park where the stage is set up.

So if you're within striking distance of west London tomorrow night, you could be the first fans in the world to hear U2 perform 'Vertigo'!

See you there!

That sounds pretty cool. Someone should go out there with a laptop and wireless connection and give us a live report tomorrow. :)

I just got this email from the guys at digicc (who are co-ordinating the competition):

Hi Lucinda,

Anyone who turns up tomorrow evening will be able to see the band perform from the street - you only need a ticket to get in to the car park. But the view from the street should be just as good. The band will be turning up around 7'ish.
Enjoy the show!"

so no new info there, and no free tix for me :grumpy:

bah humbug

:laugh:

Last edited:
I'm in two minds about going down or not. I really want to and if i win a couple of tickets from the competition i definately will but the only problem is i live in Accrington which is about 5+ hours away from London and it'll mean taking time off college and work and catching countless trains. If I was guaranteed to get a decent view of them performing I would but i don't want to go all the way down and end up not seeing anything.

I read today somewhere that before ATYCLB came out they did an album preview (like the one on wednesday) which ended up being a suprise gig for the album. I don't think they'll just perform one song but does anybody reckon that might hold a mini-gig previewing new material?

OK, does anybody have advice should i take a risk and go or not? I'll follow whatever the majority say.

(Sorry, i've kinda taken the thread away from what its about, apologies and ignore this post if you like, but is anybody in the same situation has me ?)

If I were 5 hours away Id go Daveone!!! It will be worth it!!!
What I would do to be in London tomorrow night!!!! :scream:

Jim said:

Shall we all show up anyway? I'm 30 and ready for a fight!

Sounds like a good plan to me. I think I'm almost def gonna go there now. Come along too, we could do with few younger ppl there to help us oldies climb the fences :D

Cheers
Tan

Originally posted by Daveone I don't think they'll just perform one song but does anybody reckon that might hold a mini-gig previewing new material?

That's true. If they're going to the trouble of setting up a stage, having a competition for tickets, and inviting the fans to go see the band play outside (instead of in the studio) it seems unlikely that they'll play only one song. TOTP will probably only broadcast Vertigo, but there's a good chance they might play 2 or 3 more.

So those of you who are lucky enough to go, please take a tape recorder with you! Who knows, maybe tomorrow we'll all get to hear a couple of new U2 songs.

no way, im thinking of going down now, only 2 hours for me....
can someone take a video camera!!!???? we need to have documentation of this...it's history!!!!

Well I'm about 30mins away so I think I'll head down there.. Its pissing down with rain in London at the moment so I hope it clears up tomorrow..

i wonder how many will be in the street, its not exactly been well publicised has it??? unless its all over radio1 tomorrow, we might get a really good view, what time will you people be planning on getting there?

chrissybaby said:
i wonder how many will be in the street, its not exactly been well publicised has it??? unless its all over radio1 tomorrow, we might get a really good view, what time will you people be planning on getting there?

I agree... I guess the commerical stations can't promote this because the BBC are the competition.

I hope they get alot of people in.. the risk is that they have a crowd of nonplussed 16 year olds who standing around looking bored in anticipation of BLUE taking the stage..

I'm going to try and leave work early, with any luck I might be able to get there between 6 & 6:30pm.

I've decided i am going. So what if it's five hours away, so what if i'll miss another day off college, so what if i get sacked from my job at Blockbusters, so what if i never been to london before and will probably get lost, so what if i can barely afford it - its U bloody 2 and i'll kick myself at college tommorrow if i don't go.

I plan to catch a train down at 9 in the morning and i'm thinking that if I find an hotel after lunch i'll make a weekend of it - my first ever trip to my countries capital might has well be worth all the bloody effort of getting there.

It'll also be my first time of seeing U2 perform live so I hope we get at least a couple of songs and a decent view!

Hope to arrive at studios few hours before to get decent view.

dave, dont worry mate it will be worth it you wont get lost, im going down to st pancras in the morning, then its a short trip on the hammersmith and city line to shepards bush... gonna be a great day, something to remember forever!!!!!!

is the stage set up JUST for U2???? if it is surely we'll get more than one song :drool:

on totp recently theyve done a few outside broadcasts i remember busted and natasha beddingfield (LOL) doing songs outside the studio on a stage and it was just for them... no one else used the stages on those shows...

Last edited:
no White City (Central line) is, but shepards bush is only a short walk... H&C line is easier from st pancras..... what station you heading for?

Last edited:
I have no clue! I'm catching the train from Blackburn and so get off somewhere in West London (?!) and then make my way from there. Im sure it'll be an interesting journey! Is there a train station thats best to arrive at to begin my journey?

Daveone, don't quote me on this, but I think travelling from Blackburn, your train should end up at Euston Station in London. From there, it seems the easiest thing to do is get a tube to Tottenham Court Road station & pick up the Central Line (the red one :)) heading towards Ealing Broadway...White City station is on the way. Best to double check which station u first arrive at :)

Edited because: Excessive smilies

Back
Top Bottom