MERGED --> "THE VOICE" comments from Bonovox of O'Connell Street + Getting Intimate..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
"THE VOICE" comments from Bonovox of O'Connell Street

Maybe you guys have already discussed this. TV programs usually arrive later in Australia then the UK or USA.
Last night was the first episode here of a program called "The Voice" ep.one,"the girls". I just had a feeling our Bono would be asked to comment...and he was:) He spoke about Mahalia Jackson singing "in tones" and Billie Holiday "singing for her life".
It was very moving to see so many of the greats , one after the other. "the girls" had to really work hard to make a place for themselves in the industrty and not just considered to be there for decoration.
:hug: Aretha, Billie:hug: YOU did it sister!!Thank you

Next week's episode is "the boys" . They showed a snippet of Bono singing "the fly". I wonder who will have the honour of commenting about what a fine singer Bono is?

I live in America and have never seen this show. I hope they broadcast it here someday, because it sounds like an amazing series.

Keep us posted on what happens next week. I hope they profile Jeff Buckley and Roy Orbison as well as Bono. Besides the B-man, those are two of my favorite male singers ever.

Ooo, I haven't heard of this show. What channel is it on and what time? Must see (and tape) it next week if Bono's going to be on!

This was a great program. Your right Cass, those women really had to stuggle for their place in the sun. I really enjoyed Bono's comments. Next week will be great!

The program will be on Channel 2 next Sunday at 7.30 in NSW.

Pamela

Last edited:
Great, thank you, PopTart Pamela. I just checked the TV guide and it's going to be on at the same time here in QLD. I'll have a video tape ready, that's for sure.

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but did any of the Australians here catch "From a whisper to a scream" (about Irish music) on SBS? I recorded a good deal of that - some comments by Bono and footage of U2, such as a short snippet of the A Celebration video and some of the Live Aid concert, when Bono jumped into the crowd during Bad.

Hi Axver, Hi Pamela....**cass lights the barbie, turns up the music...a kind of Aussie celebration**:hug:
There is an article at Interference news about this documentary if you want more information.
YES indeed Axver..."From A Whisper To A Scream" is certainly an excellent documentary. I taped the whole thing. As I also love Christy Moore( a lot), Rory Gallagher and Sinead( a real real lot) it was extra special for me. It is a good look at how history and social circumstance effects music. Long live music documentary makers and their budgets:up:
It will only be on in QLD at the same time for now... summer and daylight saving time cometh. That transition period really gives me the irits....ah well.
Did you hear something about Wim Wenders on the radio recently? I just heard the tail end of a news report. He and a few others, are in a bit of trouble for not getting proper permission when taking photographs on sacred land...something like that?

cheers:)

Can you sample this? I'd love to hear opinion on Paul's voice.

I want to say something about it, but ... hey it's Bono. He's unique.

cass said:
Hi Axver, Hi Pamela....**cass lights the barbie, turns up the music...a kind of Aussie celebration**

*Axver brings along some meat and the BBQ sauce, along with more U2 CDs than he can possibly carry*

YES indeed Axver..."From A Whisper To A Scream" is certainly an excellent documentary. I taped the whole thing.

I have all of it on tape from the beginning of the short clip of the A Celebration video. How much have I missed? I think SBS is selling the series on video, so I may consider buying that.

It will only be on in QLD at the same time for now... summer and daylight saving time cometh. That transition period really gives me the irits....ah well.

Grr, it's really annoying. Honestly, I like QLD not having daylight saving, mainly because it saves me resetting my watch! Hehe. But because I'm on the Gold Coast, I can always just reset my TV to receive stuff from NSW. Rather neat, that.

Did you hear something about Wim Wenders on the radio recently? I just heard the tail end of a news report. He and a few others, are in a bit of trouble for not getting proper permission when taking photographs on sacred land...something like that?

Yeah, I read about it in the Australian newspaper. I believe he took photos in the National Park that's around Ayer's Rock/Uluru, in areas that you are now not allowed to take photos on because of some indigenous belief. These photos are currently being displayed in a Melbourne museum, and, from what I saw in the Australian, are very good. What must be noted is that when he took these photos, the law regarding photos did NOT exist. I think it's utterly ridiculous, especially because he and/or the museum could get fined a significant sum of money (over AUS$50,000), even though people get off with lesser penalties for worse crimes. Our legal system does a good job of making itself look like a joke sometimes (Ha, and I may become a lawyer!); here on the Coast, a fireman in 2001 was run down by a high and disqualified driver who only got 12 months community service, and Win Wenders could get fined $50,000+ for just taking a few photographs? Doesn't seem right to me ...

thanks for the info Axver....$50G is somewhat more than "a bit of trouble". The diescrepancies in the application of the law are....criminal and at times, heart-breaking for victims. The retrospective aspect of the Wim Wenders case sounds very unfair.

SBS do sell a video/DVD/book set of the series. I feel a bit naughty about my tapes....I have hours of RAGE on tape too:shame:

btw..no need to bring the CD's. I have plenty by that particular band...but be warned...a U2 singsong is compulsory:yikes: as is some mad:dance:

cass said:
thanks for the info Axver....$50G is somewhat more than "a bit of trouble". The diescrepancies in the application of the law are....criminal and at times, heart-breaking for victims. The retrospective aspect of the Wim Wenders case sounds very unfair.

Yeah, I think it's terrible. It wasn't illegal at the time, and surely they have much more important stuff to worry about than some photos. You have unsolved murders, house invasions, and stuff like that, and they're making a massive fuss over something as petty and insignificant as this? It's a joke.

btw..no need to bring the CD's. I have plenty by that particular band...but be warned...a U2 singsong is compulsory

Be warned, I cannot sing and there may be fatalities! Hehe.

Just perfect imho...just perfect

who should have the honour of commenting of about the beautiful voice of Bonovox????.....but Bono himself :heart:
It was wonderful....may "the force" always be with you Bono.

He spoke of "desire" and "galloping horses" and "shouting" and "expressing emotion" and being "pink and rosy":heart:

d

light

full

:bono:

:applaud:

he is so witty:lmao: I feel like a proud old aunt.....

BRAVO!!!

ENCORE!!!

what a perfect end to a perfect weekend :)

Honorable mention also to Dino.....I grew up loving Dean Martin.. that's amore:)
and Nat King Cole...what a voice!! If I get a female small furry dog I'm going to call her Mona-lisa

AND...if I start a duo anytime in the near future I'll call it....

Pink &Rosy ....:heart:

in the name of love
U2

Oh I really enjoyed this show last night! So much Bono! :love: I liked seeing all the other singers too ... but I sat for about 45 minutes waiting to see some U2 ... ahhhh so nice when was finally on! I thought it was neat too how they had Bono talking about his own voice while making comparisons with others, and had I ever realised that they'd changed his voice on AB? Nooo ... but it's neat.

WOW!! This was just great.
Sometimes I need to be reminded how much I love U2. Every time Bono or U2 were on my whole body seemed to go into a spasm.
Apart from that, I thought Bono's comments about his own voice were really interesting. The sequence at Sun Studios seemed a little different to Rattle and Hum. Was it an out- take ? I could be wrong as I havnt watched R&H for a while.
For that person who missed it AFTER I informed him when it was on, there may be one consolation - it may come out on video at your local ABC shop. How could you!!

Pamela

Good morning Aussie musiclovers.
Geez you're lucky Pamela...spasms?
My love and admiration hasn't waned for over 20 years. Everyone knows they are numero uno for me :) so yes every little snippet that Mr"television sends me way is greatly appreciated. I was imagining some of you theinking "wtf" as the program took some time to reach the "bono bit". I grew up with all those earlier performers( well not that early...I'd heard of Caruso, but I used to watch Mario Lanza movies..always found him to over-act to billy-o)
ANYWAY..if you would like, I will transcibe what Bono had to say( I like doing that sort of thing) He is SOOOOOOOOOOOO eloquent...his pregnant pauses are a gem....."I had the ..................b..............)
...YES, I fell for it, I was saying "balls":lmao:
he is too clever for that and said,
"brazeness"

as I said BRAVO...ENCORE!!

and my new word of the week..."love throat" :lmao:

what an instrument..."the voice"

Gahh I'm jealous. I scanned for anything on tv this weekend and found - Elvis Lives on VHI which was good because I hadn't seen it before. Bono looked and sounded great in his narrations of this. But that was all I found. I would love to see the above mentioned program.:yes:

I still don't know how I managed to miss it ... I'd been thinking about it the entire day! I just hope it comes out on video ...

Oh well, it's not the end of the world (no U2 pun intended).

I've just finished transcribing it..Bono makes that easy with all his"ummms" and pauses. He doesn't always make complete sentences either...but I think I can find it in my :heart: to forgive him that:)

I think I'll title the topic
Getting Intimate- The Enchanted Boy

Sorry mods, if making a new thread is the wrong thing to do.:hug:

Getting Intimate- The Enchanted Boy - Bonovox

from the TV series, "The Voice" Episode 2 "Getting Intimate, The Male Voice"
"...........My dad listened to opera all the time, so I think opera, not just the melodrama, which I'm certainly attracted to, the outpouring of emotion, but also in the force. Long before I got my voice trained, I had the desire to use the full instrument, but unfortunately it just sounded like me shouting at people. But the opera thing, the force, is the taking the horses out for a gallop type singing.

Rock and roll music is of course the melodramatic tradition of Europe and the rhythmic tradition of Africa. Elvis was the first person to put one hand on the plus and one hand on the minus terminal. I guess that dance was what actually happens when you hold onto those two things and let them go through you.
I came from a much whiter tradition, you know, we're Irish, a sort of pink you could say...pink and rosy.
U2's not really a rock band, we're more of a folk band actually. A big loud folk band. That's where I came in really as a singer.I really haven't got much of a voice. I came out of punk rock But , I had the desire to communicate and I had enough...umm...brazeness, to be uncool enough, to be raw enough, to express it.
Later I found out that I had a voice and that if I could only record it in the studio, we could get by with it.
It's a strange thing, the voice itself, because it tells you the material that you can cover. My voice was all about vowel sounds, which is really annoying because most lyrics have consonants. So I was left you know with all the lyrics I wrote just left on the floor because when I was singing them in a U2 song, they didn't sound believable. My voice just worked with the vowel sounds.
In fact, on the turn of the 90's, I started putting my voice through distortion pedals in order to change the tone of it so I could get a new vocabulary.
There's a song called Fly where I began that process. That's something you don't expect, your voice actually decides your subject.

A lot of the time rock and roll is about a pose or an attitude. But I often say this- a lot of people want to have the attitude like John Lennon, or dress or hang like him, but they don't want to actually open up their rib cage and pull it apart like him.
It's about the subject matter and are you getting it across? Are you making real what you're on about? Are people feeling it?
Some of the great voices now are spoken voices, rappers. Chuck D from Public Enemy is a great voice. He'd put the fear of God in you.
Theres' nothing worse than perfect singing. I break out in a rash when I'm around it.
It's expression and what are you trying to express.
Bob Dylan, he's one of my favourite singers. He sounds like a barking dog one moment and a nightingale the next. He goes from sublime to, you know, a buzz saw.
As a performer you can be as insincere as any singer can and has to be. But the voice is really the raw nerve. My voice is the only thing I can't lie with."

May the force be with you, always
signed
"pink & rosy cass"

woops

yep..it was the wrong thing to do
sorry
:reject:
signed

pink & rosy & now red with embarrassment cass

** cass backs out slowly, being careful of the door on the way out**

Cass, thank you very much for transcribing that. *applauds* At least I get to read what Bono had to say ... I wonder if he'll be on this week's episode ...?

ladies and gentlemen..it gives me great pleasure

believe me...the pleasure was ALLLLLLLLLLLL MINE!!!:hug:Bono: :hug:
*pause* *rewind* *play* *pause* *rewind*
reading Bono's lips....food for thought:drool:
:bow: :applaud: :bono: :love: :applaud:
no worries mates:up:

I hope so Axver..I hope so...episode 3 will be a summing up I suppose..maybe they'll look at technology and the future, things like Pro Tools maybe. Bono may be asked to comment, but episode 2 is "the gem":bono:

Idid n't set the video player last night, so I can only work from memory this time.
The third and last episode was about vocal harmony groups, do- wop and such. They moved through the years and Bono appeared to comment in about the 35 minute of the program.
he began talking about Solomon Burke, saying...

....He brings it from the church, he is the SIZE of a church. His voice could fill a cathedral.
my favourite music is about relationships with God, either running to or away from Him, that is gospel and the blues.
Music from the heart.....

something along those lines

:heart:
:)
:bono:

Back
Top Bottom