MERGED ----> the Euro 2004 thread + Say a little pray for France + England 1 France 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ah well, portugal deserved to win

the referee was pittiful though
unbelievably bad

I must say that I hope Portugal won't win the tournament by playing like they did tonight
which was extremely negative soccer for over 45 minutes

Alas, it was not meant to be. Portugal were better tonight. Still, the Dutch team had quite some small opportunities. They didn't play bad, despite the actions of the referee (who indeed was bad, very inconsequent).

Euro 2004 is over for us. :|

Come on Czech Republic!

I really hope Portugal don't win, it'll break my heart thinking how far England could have got if the ref hadn't had shit for brains...poor Sol, if he had the tiniest bit more luck he could have put us into the quarter finals of France 98 and the semi-finals of Portugal 2004 :( Anyway all in the past now I guess...get ready to cheer for Japan come July 17th...the AFC Championships! :)

SAGE! The goal was NO GOAL! I dislike constantly explaining this to people.

And before you get on me, I hate Portugal soccer and wanted England to take the whole thing.

So who does everyone want to win tonight's semi-final? I think I want the Czech Republic to win because I love watching them. But then again, a Portugal/Greece final would just be nice to see...underdogs being successful and all that.

well, Czech Republic has been the best team in the tournament so far, so I hope they'll make it

I do hope they will play a less negative game tonight then they did against Denmark
because we can be 98% sure Greece won't do much except for leaning on its defense either
at least you could say that lack real class in offense though

it was a funny match
when Nedved left due to his injury it alsmost seemed as if for the first time this tournament Czech Republic olayed with an element of fear in their mind instead of total self believe
it wasn't even a surprise that Greece managed the goal in the end

strange game, soccer

DaveC said:
SAGE! The goal was NO GOAL! I dislike constantly explaining this to people.

When you watch the match in a pub with 100 other fanatical England fans and you see that piece of CRAP refereeing after 89 minutes of complete tension, you form the unshakeable opinion that Sol's header was a goal (and it was), but I admit I am hardly a neutral unbiased observer...

Anyway, apart from Greece against France, the team I have supported in each knockout match has lost, so I don't know whether to support Greece cause I want them to win or Portugal cause I want them to lose :huh:

Greece will be confident.

They know they can beat Portugal.

But in the end I think the Portuguese know better by now than to sit back and think Greece is easy, much as they did in the first game. I think this one will come right down to the wire, but in the end my prediction is...

2-1 Greece.

Salome said:

I must say that I hope Portugal won't win the tournament by playing like they did tonight
which was extremely negative soccer for over 45 minutes

Did you notice that the Dutch team was there too? A macht is a good macht if played by two teams. One team can not play against it self.
I really don't agree with you. I'm a fan of the Dutch soccer. Holland is a really good team, but I think they have a bad coach. Anyway, it was a good game that Portugal deserved to win, simply because we managed to do better than The Netherlands. In this stage of the competition there are no bad teams or favorites. The winner will be the one that does it better in during the 90 minutes, or 120.

White_Dove said:

Did you notice that the Dutch team was there too?

The Dutch did try though! :tongue:

*thinks it's outrageous that the UEFA now wants to ban Van Nistelrooy for 2 matches, just because he complained to the referee for his handling of the match*

White_Dove said:

Did you notice that the Dutch team was there too? A macht is a good macht if played by two teams. One team can not play against it self.
I don't blame Portugal for the match being disappointing (it was disappointing quality wise IMO)
the dutch were more to blame for that
we lacked quality, portugal didn't

but in the second half portugal could at least have pretended that they wanted to play attacking football
which they really should since they have a real quality attack

I do hope portugal will win the final because greece is even worse in that aspect

Popmartijn said:

*thinks it's outrageous that the UEFA now wants to ban Van Nistelrooy for 2 matches, just because he complained to the referee for his handling of the match*

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but because he plays for Man Utd I find it hard to have sympathy for Van Nistelrooy. :wink: :reject:

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but because he plays for Man Utd I find it hard to have sympathy for Van Nistelrooy. :wink: :reject:

The ban is for matches with the Dutch team, not club matched with Man Utd. If it goes through, it means he'll have to miss the match against the Czech Republic (yep, after the qualifying matches for Euro 2004 and the group stage in the actual tournament, we meet them again). And he'll also miss the match against Macedonia, which is less painful. Still... :huh:

*wonders then why the English players didn't get any bans, considering the Portugal - England match*

for footballs sake i hope portugal win and win well.
greece are terrible to watch and practically man mark all over the field.
i'll take nothing away from them, their there on merit, but i just hope the most entertaining side win.

So far the game has been monotonous, though Greece has just scored. We already expected this, ?cause Greeks play a ?destructive? game. I just want to say that this as been a great tournament, though I miss Ireland. I think Portugal and Ireland have a lot in common - two small countries who have been facing along the history strong and threatening neighbours - though Irish are usually prouder of their nationality (and this fact as shown good result in the development of their country). I don?t know about the other players, but I know that Rui Costa and Rui Gomes are both U2 fans. I?m not a fan of soccer players, but now I have a bigger respect of those two people. We?re going to celebrate, no matter who wins. Portugal is living one of the greatest moments of moments of our times. Now I?m gonna watch the part of the game that will make the difference.

portugaC35b.gif

I think they were even the better team on the night
well, Greece didn't create a chance either
but they prevented Portugal from getting even one half decent chance

defense :up:

Congrats to Greece for winning Euro 2004. Indeed, they were a very strong team, maybe not so much on the offence, but their defence was impenetrable. :up:

*thinks Greece now has a dozen or so new semi-gods*

Back
Top Bottom