MERGED--> Slane DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll be grateful for any new U2 DVD, but I'm so bummed it will be the second show and not the first. The two did not even compare in my mind, and yes, I was blessed beyond words to be at both. The emotion was so much higher, the energy was like nothing I ever experienced and hell, they performed "A Sort Of Homecoming" !!! And don't forget, Bono was at his fathers funeral only a day earlier. I'll never forget the words he spoke of his father before they played "Kite" or all the images of his father during thier performance of "One". None of these moments occured at the second Slane gig. Don't get me wrong, the 2nd show was still amazing and very special, I'm just really bummed the first Slane gig will only be a memory in my head. I know I can't be the only one who feels this way or am I ?

DiGi,

Slane 1 was indeed the better concert/experience, but the simple situation is that the second show was filmed professionally and the first one wasn't. There's nothing we can change about that.

C ya!

Marty (who thinks they should also release the first Antwerp concert on audio/video :D )

is there an audience shot vcd or any other soruce of video from slane 1?, i havent seen it around.....
i know there is one from slane 2

why the first slane was not recorded i dont understand. :no:
as good as the second show was, it just cant compare with the atmosphere of the first!
i now we should be thankful that any of them was recorded but i just wish it was the first.

as for the lineups, well ash, moby and nelly furtado just cant touch the red hot chilli peppers, coldplay and jj72.

dont get me wrong, i cant wait to get my hands on it!!! it worths worth it just for out of control!!! :yes:

I dunno, maybe Slane 1 was just a little too personal to crop into a DVD and sell to the world, maybe I'm looking to far into it, I don't know, but would you guys feel comfortable with the London, Aug. 21 show being released? To me that and Slane 1 are very personal. I wasn't there for either and I've only seen the Aug. 21 show on video, but Bono looked pretty upset at times and judging only by the audio bootleg of the first Slane show, I imagine it was much of the same feeling for that show too. I do agree that the first Slane sounds like a better show, but maybe it's not the right show to commerically release.

maybe your right,
i just want the first one released for purely selfish reasons, it was the best, the reason for it being better is because of how personal it was.

we should all remember bono had just buried his father and i doubt if he has been that emotional in a concert before, (i havent seen the london aug 21 show).
maybe for sunday bloody sunday on rattle and hum, but that was a different sort of emotion.

they were unsure of putting that song on r+h, so i'm sure they wouldnt want a whole concert released.

Those of us who were lucky enough to be there, should just appreciate it.

Hello,

I think that they planned the filming a long time in advance. The second Slane concert was their final European concert, so that would make it a special one many weeks before the actual concert. The events in the 1 - 1 1/2 weeks before Slane 1 were too short to change any plans about filming. Besides, I think U2 did not want it to be filmed anyway as it was such a personal experience. The concert could have ended in disaster if it got too emotional (luckily it became a success).

BTW, as for SBS in R&H, U2 only heard of that bombing a few hours before showtime, so they could not suddenly blow off the filming. At least, not with having a normal stage without any camera's as those couldn't be removed (and the filming crew was on location).

Am I clear or is this just pointless rambling? :confused:

C ya!

Marty

The answer to your question is simple. Slane 2 was shot professionally (extra crew, cameras, moniters, etc..). Slane 1 was not. Slane 1 was filmed and recorded though. Every single U2 show is filmed and recorded by their crew. It will never see the light of day however. Plus the fact that A Sort Of Homecoming was done and was done VERY roughly would cause U2 to not want to release it. They are major perfectionists.

Personally, I 'am just happy they released Slane 2. Sure, Slane 1 was a better show, but as the Boston DVD can atest to, you cant always capture the best show with the professional film crew. I think Slane 2 though is still a very good show so we are lucky they at least captured one of the better shows of the tour. I just hope it is the entire thing with little to no editing. I didnt like how the TV broadcast just burst into Elevation. Need to have the intro music also.

gav6519 said:
maybe your right,
i just want the first one released for purely selfish reasons, it was the best, the reason for it being better is because of how personal it was.

we should all remember bono had just buried his father and i doubt if he has been that emotional in a concert before, (i havent seen the london aug 21 show).

Exactly. I also agree it would be the better show and of course I want to see it filmed professionally, but that doesn't justify using it commercially, cashing in on something very close and painful to the band. That would make me uncomfortable. If there were a VCD being traded in U2 circles, it would be different. But actually producing a DVD out of that concert and making money off it (not that making money off concert DVDs is bad) I think would spoil it.

Blue Room said:
Slane 1 was filmed and recorded though. Every single U2 show is filmed and recorded by their crew. It will never see the light of day however.

whats say we break into the U2 video archives and steal a couple of shows :wink:
whos with me! lol

RickFly said:
i think we will get red rocks by the time we in america get a new president which will be in 2008.

please don't say things like that :sad:

dvd, awesome. but certainly this would put the new album off until sometime after june 2004 and the tour a few monmths after that, right?

or :yikes: later?

that november 17 date is a confirmed fact, then?

I doubdt the DVD release will have any effect on the album. The album will be out way before June 2004 unless they run into some major problems in the studio.

Back
Top Bottom