MERGED --> Pond Gestapo Say No Cameras + Anaheim camera policy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoCalMusicLover

The Fly
Pond Gestapo Say No Cameras

I just called the box office, and they say U2 has instructed them that No Cameras are allowed. Does U2 have a consistent policy or not? It was cool in San Diego, but not in Anaheim? I thought I had read that someone from the band's management actually announced that cameras were cool, so long as they weren't professional. So much for pics from the floor I guess. I'll try to get a cheap disposable in anyways, but won't risk my good point & shoot camera, which sucks.

The official policy is that cameras are allowed as long as they don't have professional or detachable lenses.

Some consistency would be lovely :|

Moving this to the tour dates forum since it is venue specific

:wave:

unosdostres14 said:
The official policy is that cameras are allowed as long as they don't have professional or detachable lenses.

Perhaps someone should tell that to the Pond. According to them, U2's official policy is No Cameras. Whether it's a $5 Disposable or $300 Digital, that is what they claim. Who should I believe then?

Well....to be on the safe side...I would go with the five dollar disposable. That is the best situation if it turns out that cameras are not allowed. Right?

I would take both, get there early and return the nice camera to the car if you can't get it in.

the pond even has a sign above the entrance saying no video recorders or professional cameras, but they always allow regular cameras, I've never been to a show there I didn't take pics. The only one that was really strict was Josh Groban where they handed out flyers even in the prkg lot about no cameras whatsoever.

but even he now at his latest shows completely allows cameras, he just asks that you don't do flash in his face.

The no camera policy is the Ponds and they will definitely enforce it. The camera policy in San Diego was not dictated by U2 as everyone keeps reporting. The Sports Arena in San Diego, if you look at their web site, allows cameras for all concerts period (not just the U2 concert) as long as they are (a) not professional, and (b) do not have a telescopic lense over three inches. Everyone thought that was U2's policy but it wasn't.

I took in two cameras (one which had a two inch telescopic lense) and an MP3 player. Shot four rolls of film and taped the entire concert right in front of the ushers and they didn't say a word in San Diego.

I wouldn't try that in Anaheim though. You could probably smuggle in a camera as I have done it. I wouldn't use it in front of anyone though unless people start using their cell phones to take pictures.

Everyone was using cell phones in San Diego to take pictures but remember the Sports Arena has no problem with non-pro cameras.

Here in L.A. your competing with pros. Just look at the difference in scalper ticket prices. Scalper prices for my the kind of seat I had in San Diego are $1,600 plus at the Pond-in fact the seats aren't as good.

Oh, yeah a P.S. to my post.

I seriously doubt that U2 said no cameras. Bono actually took one fans disposable camera and shot a picture of himself Wednesday night during the show. So it's the Pond's or the customer service reps b.s. Some of these goons like to play with people's minds and tell fans all kinds of nonsense.

If the band is allowed to have a say about the cameras at the venues they play in, U2 will permit cameras. But a word of warning about the disposables... your pictures, although valuable to you because you shot them, will probably turn out pretty lousy. So at least try to get a camera with 400 or even 800 speed film if you can find one, and hold it as steady as possible.

And if you are lucky enough to have Bono 2 feet in front of you, instead of grabbing the disposable and popping a flash in his face, put the camera down and watch him instead. I guarantee that the memory of the moment will be far more valuable than a bad picture you shot through a cheap cardboard box.

don't worry, you can take a camera to the Pond. Everybody did.

Staples is another story, but I've also always taken a camera there as well.

No professional-looking cameras. They were trying to dissuade people from uber cameras. Point and click are fine.

It's amazing. Call all day until 2:00, and box office says..."no cameras. Per U2 policy." Get to the facility and ask a staff pro who says, "no problem. non-professional cameras ok."

Nice to know these venues lie through their teeth. The guy in back of me on the floor was pissed because when he was in line, one of the doofuses told him no cameras, so he took his back to the car, and didn't end up bringing it in. Sometimes I think I could run a venue with more honesty, integrity and overall organization than these idiots.

the people who answer the phones, plus people who you talk to at the Pond and Staples, and just about everywhere else I've been, are rent-a-people for the most part, many of them retired senior citizens from Leisure World, who haven't been to a concert since Jimmy Dorsey. They quote you all kinds of things. I remember asking if I could bring roses since I was in the front row for a show, I got no we don't allow it, but of course they did, and of course I brought them. Same with signs, on the phone and any rent-a-person you go up to they'll say NO, but of course you can bring them in as long as they're reasonable.

You can take pics, you can bring a sign, you can bring flowers, gifts, etc. Don't even bother calling them.

Yeah cameras were fine. even digital ones were okay. who knows about Staples though. That reiminds me....off to go develop my pictures.:bump:

Back
Top Bottom