MERGED-->OOTS Video DISCUSSION

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's an amazing video, and U2's best since "Beautiful Day." The idea for it came from a woman, which couldn't be more appropriate, given the meaning behind the song.

If any newer fans are confused by the video, here's an explanation.

The video seems to open with umbilical cords, knotted together, before they morph into a fetus. Then we see an unmistakable image of maternity: a mother's breasts, and her arms around her child. The synchronicity beween lyric and video is perfect, as the line "please stay a child" overlays exactly with the graphics, before "somewhere in your heart" matches up with a scribbled, red heart.

The band members' heads appear next, as if to signal paternalism: U2, collectively, is the father of this child. As Bono has said, this song is for "all of U2's girls." The female child in the video also represents the future, the coming generation of music, and the result of U2's influence on the world.

As the video continues, Bono whispers in the child's ear, "I'll give you everything that you want..." as the child smiles, listening. The advice continues, as written phrases appear on the child's head, scrawled like words of wisdom in a classmate's yearbook ("Stay True"..."Let Go"). Like a father imprinting life lessons into a child's mind, Bono's lyrics implore listeners to recognize their own individuality.

The flowers growing from the child's mouth symbolize her individuality, her own song, and her identity. Bono instructs her to "shout it" everywhere she goes, and the flowers represent the child's unique voice.

Bono has said that while the song was first written for Edge's daughter, in the end, he "eroticized it" a little bit. The video hints at this fact, as the child transforms into a woman, emerging from the silky cocoon of childhood to enter womanhood. The director's imagery is telling: we see butterflies (a symbol of post-pubescence), a pregnant womb, and a rose (the quintessential symbol of romantic, sexual love).

Even the tattoos on Bono's arm are symbolic: we see a heart, "Mother," and a dove flying free, which echo the themes of the song.

As the song climaxes, Bono's face teeters on the edge of joy (of a father seeing his daughter grow up) and agony (the ache of a father missing his little girl).

There are so many themes in this song: parental influence vs. individuality, nature vs. nurture vs. free will, the entry into adulthood, the excitement it presents to a teenager, mixed with the sadness a father feels from seeing his daughter leave home.

Would you all agree?

Last edited:
LikeNoOneBefore said:
One thing I really liked about the video was the fact that Bono appeared to be wearing his One Campaign bracelet. I don't know why, but it was one of my "Wow that's cool" moments.

Haha maybe I'm alone on this one too. :wink:

Heheh -- yeah I noticed that and thought it was cool, too.

Know what's even cooler though? Bono's also wearing a hospital bracelet... get it? :)

LyricalDrug said:
It's an amazing video, and U2's best since "Beautiful Day." The idea for it came from a woman, which couldn't be more appropriate, given the meaning behind the song.

If any newer fans are confused by the video, here's an explanation.

The video seems to open with umbilical cords, knotted together, before they morph into a fetus. Then we see an unmistakable image of maternity: a mother's breasts, and her arms around her child. The synchronicity beween lyric and video is perfect, as the line "please stay a child" overlays exactly with the graphics, before "somewhere in your heart" matches up with a scribbled, red heart.

The band members' heads appear next, as if to signal paternalism: U2, collectively, is the father of this child. As Bono has said, this song is for "all of U2's girls." The female child in the video also represents the future, the coming generation of music, and the result of U2's influence on the world.

As the video continues, Bono whispers in the child's ear, "I'll give you everything that you want..." as the child smiles, listening. The advice continues, as written phrases appear on the child's head, scrawled like words of wisdom in a classmate's yearbook ("Stay True"..."Let Go"). Like a father imprinting life lessons into a child's mind, Bono's lyrics implore listeners to recognize their own individuality.

The flowers growing from the child's mouth symbolize her individuality, her own song, and her identity. Bono instructs her to "shout it" everywhere she goes, and the flowers represent the child's unique voice.

Bono has said that while the song was first written for Edge's daughter, in the end, he "eroticized it" a little bit. The video hints at this fact, as the child transforms into a woman, emerging from the silky cocoon of childhood to enter womanhood. The director's imagery is telling: we see butterflies (a symbol of post-pubescence), a pregnant womb, and a rose (the quintessential symbol of romantic, sexual love).

Even the tattoos on Bono's arm are symbolic: we see a heart, "Mother," and a dove flying free, which echo the themes of the song.

As the song climaxes, Bono's face teeters on the edge of joy (of a father seeing his daughter grow up) and agony (the ache of a father missing his little girl).

There are so many themes in this song: parental influence vs. individuality, nature vs. nurture vs. free will, the entry into adulthood, the excitement it presents to a teenager, mixed with the sadness a father feels from seeing his daughter leave home.

Would you all agree?

Good analysis. :yes:

LyricalDrug said:

Would you all agree?

fantastic post. couldnt have attempted to put it into words any better. :wink:

corianderstem said:

I agree that a "real fucking head" would change the meaning of the song, but it's still on the creepy side. Even giving the thing eyelashes would have helped.

yeah - i dont want it to have a recognisable face but eyelashes, a bit of skin texture etc

whoever said niip/tuck hit the nail on the head.
i just think it could have retained its innocence/purity and remained undistinguishded (is that a word?) while not looking so plastic and doll like

This was one of the parts I really loved. I did like the video overall, despite being put off by the CGI head. I keep dwelling on the video and do agree that it's really unique and really lovely.

But darn that Big Head ... :wink:

LyricalDrug said:

Heheh -- yeah I noticed that and thought it was cool, too.

Know what's even cooler though? Bono's also wearing a hospital bracelet... get it? :)
Actually, the other bracelet he has on is his rubber Irish flag bracelet. He's been seen wearing it lately, alongside his ONE bracelet, in concert.

LyricalDrug said:

isn't that the VERTIGO bracelet? i've seen it on Bono a couple of times.. and it resembles the one I got at the concert (toronto), only mine is red and black.. and bono's seems to have a bit of yellow too..

To keep PLEBA clean, I complain here! WHAT THE DAMN??? So little Adam?!?!?!?! Geewhiz. But then again, Adam has no connection to OOTS much, it's about their teenage daughters. I'm afraid I cannot agree that it's one of their best videos, just like how I can't agree Mercy is such an excruciatingly beautiful song. No point elaborating on this, to each his own. But I really like the work Joanou does. Like If God Will Send his Angels vid and... another one. I forgot. Stuck in a moment (Flys vs. Lemon) was another good one.

It's freaking time for Adam to star in video!

I love this video and also think this could be the best video they have ever done.

From the stand point of an artist I was blown away by the imagery and how the whole concept just fit the song so well. I was crying the first time I watched it without really realizing why. Something in it just totally speaks to me. I think this is one of the most powerful videos they have done in along time and I hope it wins some awards.

6379da5d.jpg

For those of you who don't wander in to Pleba territory :wink: the video spoke to me enough to make part of it a permanent piece of my body. The song and the video are just such a beautiful part of U2s history of music and I hope they get recognized for it.

I've had songs make me cry before..."Bad" by U2, "Bulletholes" by Lovehammers. But to go out and get a tatoo based on a music video that is designed to sell records, makes me sad.

Not a criticism of you--the tatoo is beautiful. I know other people get tattoos based on even more seemingly arcane reasons...and that it makes them happy. So if it makes you happy, great. If it makes you cry some more, I don't see how this is a constructive thing to do.

Art is simply an expression...if you resonate with it in a positive way, that's wonderful. On the other hand, if it makes you feel worse, touches or wound, or feels manipulative, it's better just to be aware of this tar baby.

kaili said:
I've had songs make me cry before..."Bad" by U2, "Bulletholes" by Lovehammers. But to go out and get a tatoo based on a music video that is designed to sell records, makes me sad.

Not a criticism of you--the tatoo is beautiful. I know other people get tattoos based on even more seemingly arcane reasons...and that it makes them happy. So if it makes you happy, great. If it makes you cry some more, I don't see how this is a constructive thing to do.

Art is simply an expression...if you resonate with it in a positive way, that's wonderful. On the other hand, if it makes you feel worse, touches or wound, or feels manipulative, it's better just to be aware of this tar baby.

I should have clarified more. It made me cry, but in a more kind of gosh what a beautiful thing kind of way. Definetly a good thing. It made me feel something in a postive way. Crying to me doesn't always have to be a bad thing.

And I know that tattoos of anything aren't some peoples particular cup of tea and that is totally understandable. My tattoos are definetly something I do to please myself, but I love sharing them when they bring happiness to others.

You are so right though that art is a form of expression. But being an artist myself I think if something touches you whether it be good or bad, thats not always a bad thing. If it moves you enough to cry and feel pain that is an incredible thing. Sometimes we need pain and crying to heal and move on or find new things in our life. :heart:

I saw where you posted pictures of your other tatoos in another thread--really amazing! :)

Did you know the Celtic cross with the circle was a tool (before the cross became a symbol of Jesus dying on the cross) to measure angles? I've always loved that particular cross, and once I found out that it's original purpose was for science, and the advancement of society, I liked it even better.

I'm an artist too, and I agree with what you said about acknowledging ones feelings and then moving on. With me, the opposite occurs when I cry though...I just feel sad. Laughter is more of a purge for me. I'm happy that a song I never really cared for has had such a positive affect on so many girls/women though. :wink:

Sir BonoBjanglz said:
Excellent.

Were you in on the creative process or what? :)

Seriously, your explanation is a super frame-by-frame summary of a wildly gorgeous, haunting and intriguing video that truly captured the meaning of the song.

:love:

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Heheh, aw, thanks. Basically I just had the same reaction as everyone here had when I saw the video: absolute amazement. Everything just clicked all at once and everything made sense.

SimplyConfused said:
Does anyone know if it's out in the UK yet? I really want to see it but haven't yet. I've seen the first thirty seconds on u2.com, but I want to see all of it, understandably.

Sorry if this has been put on before, but I really need to know.

Why don't you download it from gr@cie's previous post. (here: http://s23. sendit.com/d.aspx?id=0SK29IHZPWK130YE1PO4UGO59W). Just put "you send it" (no spaces) where it says: s.23. sendit....

If it doesn't work then email me: Liams_mom@yahoo.com and I will email you the file. It is a winamp file by the way.

Also, you can only see 30 sec's of it at u2.com? Do you not have a membership there is that why?

I just watched it...interesting :hmm: The things that come to mind for me: how we're imprisioned by our bodies (barbed wire at the start?), and how we're all programmed with artificiality. With Bono whispering in the woman's ear, it's like he's giving her an alternative to that, life lessons he's learned, and she's taking in his advice.

I love Sunday afternoons! :happy:

Back
Top Bottom