MERGED ----> Making the album in Morocco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DreamOutLoud13 said:
Morocco, eh? :hmm: They could pick up a really groovy vibe in Morocco :drool:

EDIT: Ooooh, just noticed the thread in WTAHNN *runs over there instead* :wink:

Ooops! I looked around (obviously not thoroughly enough) and didn't see anything about this. I haven't been around these parts much lately. Mods can merge; I don't care. (And it's already been derailed anyway, as was predicted.)

Yeah, and the 1 million Africans on ARV's now don't exist, they're not real, the money didn't get there either.

I don't get how some can't separate their dislike 4 the guy's policies from the things he's actually accomplished.

Looks like its 'true' enough....Sounds promising. They will shine on this one....., as long as Bono sticks around in the studio long enough!!! :pray:

Morocco, now that's a surprise. I was there last year, beautiful country.
I thought they were in Dublin. Curious to see how recording in Morocco will influence the new music.
But Bono will be in Germany very soon for the G 8.
As for Bush, I think we all are aware by now that Bono does not agree on the Bush administration's foreign politics but is always more than willing to give praises where praises are due. He is always an optimist and idalist, so let's just hope the promises will be fulfilled.
The upcoming G8 summit is very important in terms of aid for Africa, let's hope that there will be some progress. And in the end, every life saved is a success.

Morocco, beautiful country, I was there last year. I am quite surprised to hear that they are recording there and curious to see and hear how this will influence the music.

As for Bono sticking around, don't get your hopes up to high. I know he said he would concentrate more on music this year, but with the G8 coming up next week, I don't see many chances that he will be around a lot these weeks. I guess he's already on his way to Germany. But after that, let's hope he will go back to the studio, wherever it may be, and stay there for a while. We'll see..

As for future Album sounds, I guess I am open to everything.

000613_30.jpg

New image?

:hmm: So it's true. After AB and Pop, this is their third time not recording in Dublin. So a bit of African sounds mixed with New Orleans influence for Edge...

schnumi said:
They need to lock themselfs up again.

Bono needs to stay away from all his campaigns and politicians for a while and just concentrate on writing and making music.
They need to shut their trap and let Bono write about what he wants, he is spending most of his time with politicians and activists now but he can't talk about it in his songs, it's a nonsense.
If he wants to inject some political stuff in the next record, let him do, the way a song about Leonard Peltier turned into an Apple commercial is disgusting.
They can record in exotic ("exotic" ? :eyebrow: ) places, their album will be flat if Bono is being censored once again.
HTDAAB aka The Edge-driven album is an artistic failure, it's time for a Bono-driven album now.

:lol: ^A Bono driven ablum? I think you may be opening a can of worms here. But I am all for it, seriously. No more censorship for Bono! Let all the heart and soul and kneeling and whatnot come out without inhibition.

But seriously, I think we should just wait and see. Whatever the direction of the new music may be, I can't wait to hear it. :drool:

And a third source, U2tour.de, confirms the band is in Morocco. After the Cannes show, the band and their crew first went to South of France to record in Bono's and Edge's house. Then, early previous week, they went to Africa.

I'm betting they're only there to record Sgt. Pepper for the tribute album and then scatter for various parts of the earth.

This news sounds very promising to me, indeed one of my wishes came true: The four rich megastars turn away from their elephant paths in Ireland and France. Insted of repeating the same old patterns again and again, they are together – but away from nerving fans blocking off their homes and studios, away from their celebrity buzz, away from places, where they can't walk the streets without being asked about anything. Instead they are in the beautiful city of Fes, a place full of warm sun, beautiful architecture, exotic smells and faces, who haven't ever heard of U2 – and if so, they might not care. A great place to reflect yourselves, to talk about music, to listen to other sounds, other voices – and don't forget: A desert is not far away, too. My best wishes to the band and their collective approach to lock themselves up! Thumbs up!

but why Morocco?

and what does this tell us about the potential direction of the album?

my guess is that Morocco is a particularly interesting place because it is African, and Muslim, and Arab, and is approaching European/Western standards of living. its where tradition and religiosity is seeking to coexist with the modern and progressive. there's also the threat of terror -- remember the Casablanca bombings of a few years ago -- looming over everything. its also bright, sunny, colorful, vibrant, parched, and you can turn the corner from a fabulous restaurant and see 5 year old children playing in a garbage heap.

sounds like a place to reconcile opposites, to use things that are seemingly in opposition to one another, and find out that they might be two sides of a single coin -- thoughts?

Irvine511 said:
but why Morocco?

Take mine and your answers – and you name it. But by the way: Morocco is a Maghreb country and has not much in common, what most people associate with Africa. The country is a historic/cultural/political crossroads point – including the bitter fact, that most African boat people, who try to reach Europe, today do start from Morocco (Ex-Spanish Sahara) ...

Last edited:
ZOOTVTOURist said:

The country is a historic/culural/political crossroads point

and they've done this before.

Berlin is where East met West, in a European context.

Miami is where North met South, in an Americas context.

Morocco is where East meets West, in a ... what kind of context this time? geopolitical? religious?

Irvine511 said:

and they've done this before.

Berlin is where East met West, in a European context.

Miami is where North met South, in an Americas context.

Morocco is where East meets West, in a ... what kind of context this time? geopolitical? religious?
Obviously religious, obiously geopolitical, but for sure social-economical, too: It's a crossroads, where the (rich) North(ern hemisphere) meets the South(ern) part, meets Africa, meets the Third World ...

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Obviously religious, obiously geopolitical, but for sure social-economical, too: It's a crossroads, where the (rich) North(ern hemisphere) meets the South(ern) part, meets Africa, meets the Third World ...

how might this translate musically? what will it sound like?

(and the more i think about this, the more apt a choice i think it is -- going to, say, Iraq to record is not only suicidal and unfeasable, but it would be too overtly political; the same with Israel/Palestine; much of the rest of the Middle East, to my mind, seems to be much less of a crossroads than Morocco, the only other option coming to mind being Beirut, which is sadly rubble and probably not safe enough either)

Irvine511 said:

how might this translate musically? what will it sound like?

(and the more i think about this, the more apt a choice i think it is -- going to, say, Iraq to record is not only suicidal and unfeasable, but it would be too overtly political; the same with Israel/Palestine; much of the rest of the Middle East, to my mind, seems to be much less of a crossroads than Morocco, the only other option coming to mind being Beirut, which is sadly rubble and probably not safe enough either)
Now, we turn to pure speculation, that goes far further than the geneal inspiration idea and the "Locking yourselves up/hiding away/diving into other culture" strategy. I do really believe, U2 might play again, might experiment more with hand made rhythm, the musical heartbeat, the rock, if you want so. One example – that might not be an exact role model, of course – were the surviving members of Led Zeppelin: Page & Plant went to Morocco, especially Marrakesh and were so much inspired by the Magrebinian sounds, that they recorded "No Quarter", played the MTV show that way and toured, including a Maroccan orchestra. These shows in the mid 1990ies were terrific, by the way, take songs like "Kashmir" or "Thank You" by the way. More "Salomé" or "Mysterious Ways"? I doubt, that it will be that (over)produced or funky ...

ZOOTVTOURist said:

One example – that might not be an exact role model, of course – were the surviving members of Led Zeppelin: Page & Plant went to Morocco, especially Marrakesh and were so much inspired by the Magrebinian sounds, that they recorded "No Quarter", played the MTV show that way and toured, including a Maroccan orchestra.

JPJ is still alive and kicking!:wink:
And yes, No Quarter put some excellent twists on old favorites- especially The Battle of Evermore.

Irvine511 said:

I see Turkey as more "East meets West" than Morocco.

ntalwar said:

I see Turkey as more "East meets West" than Morocco.

20 years ago i might have agreed with you. but not today as Turkey seems fated to join the EU.

and Morocco is Arabic. i think that's of paramount importance to addressing the "state of the world" today.

I think everyone is reading too much into it if they are even going to record the album there. Which I wont be surprised if they dont.

They have visited Morocco many times before, shot some of the Achtung Baby photography there, shot a video there. I think they like it there. Thats why they are there! :wink: I wont be surprised if there is a report they are back at Hanover Quay by mid summer.

Even when they have gone to other locations to record they have never done most of the recording there. Berlin was a disaster and moving back to Dublin saved that production. Miami was used occasionally for POP, but most recording was done in Dublin. Every album they have done the majority of recording was done in Dublin. I doubt thats going to change with this album.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom