MERGED-->If U2 had penned "Fix You" + Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a NEW similie?!! :nerd: ......somehow I can't see that similie being used for good instead of evil.......

But back onto Coldplay. Look at it this way, Coldplay have a lot of fans. Coldplay's style is quite (or to others, very) like U2's. Therefore is it not too much of a leap to think that, in time, those millions of young Coldplay fans who, previously thought of U2 as "Those Grandads from Ireland" might, just might , become massive fans of U2 as a result of following Coldplay?

LyricalDrug said:

It's all in good fun, don't get your knickers in bunches. As David Bowie once said, "This is music, you know. No one gets a medal at the end of all of it."

bono_chirac.jpg

Paraphrasing here, but Liam Gallagher once said that Oasis would have written the songs The Beatles wrote had they (Oasis) been around in the 60s.

This is the same thing. A lesser talented band spends its whole career emulating someone else's original music, then declares themselves better during their brief spell of surpassing fame.

Let's hold the U2/Coldplay debate in 2012.

Saw Coldplay last night at Darien Lake, NY. Great show. Chris Martin seemed very relaxed, having fun, rode an amusement ride before the concert, joked about being voted the ugliest band by people in Europe so the lawn seats actually had a much more pleasant view.

U2 has no worries about the "competition".

They do need a little more musical experimentation (piss off all the young fans). Actually, some of the newer songs reminded me of Oasis (not a huge fan). I guess I will go buy a copy of 'X&Y' to get a closer listen.

Oh, BTW, I kill threads, so this one is probably DOA.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Coldplay can kiss my ass!!!

Axver said:

Crap post. :down:

This is a pretty rocking thread though, or at least the parts that slag off Coldplay. :rockon:

:wink:

CRAP post :down: :barf:

:wink:

Aardvark747 said:
Does anyone frequent Coldplay forums perchance?:hmm: I'd love to know what THEIR die-hards think of this particular topic....

I don't frequent them ( :yuck: ) but I DID find a few interesting threads at their official forum a few pages back. This one is the best one (if you ignore the two fools at the end):

http://forums.coldplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=34680

See, even the Coldplay fans notice the similarities.

Yeah, great finds, GibsonGirl. It's pretty funny to see some of the posts that are like, "Umm..yeah..they sound a lot like U2...d'oh!" :wink:

i find it incredibly ironic that many u2 fans hate chris martin because they think he has a huge ego, yet the number one reason that non-u2 fans hate bono is because they think he has a huge ego.

suck it up... get over it... walk it off... whatever.

so coldplay's derivative of u2... whoopity damn do. everyone's derivative of someone else. it's not like u2 invented rock and roll, jesus.

coldplay has a lead singer who plays the piano... i wonder if you hear bitching and moaning about him on elton john and billy joel forums. :rolleyes:

get over it.

I have a prediction for the next 17 pages of this thread:

it'll go something like this:

"coldplay sucks."
"u2 were ego-maniacs too."
"coldplay is lame."
"stop bashing coldplay; u2 isn't totally original."
"I hate your mother."

and repeat x17.

:up:

Wow, 2 points for bumping this thread back to the top. It had actually lost a little oxygen for the last 4 hours.:huh:

Uh, U2 has for the last 5 years been inviting bands to knock them off the top of the heap. If Coldplay is rising to the challenge; more power to 'em. I can definately say they havn't even come close to U2 yet, and seem to have vered more into 80's New Wave then U2's brand of Rock N Roll. So I don't see how Martin & Co are going to do it; but if they want to take the shot; go for it.

Just got X & Y to add to my two other ColdPlay cd's. I like them, but it occurs to me very strongly with their new cd, that they'd be NO WHERE without major U2 influence, as well as influence from other major greats...like the Beatles.

There are guitar riffs on X & Y that are pure Edgeguitar.

I have to say it was damn hard not to laugh when I was leaving the Coldplay concert last week and I heard this woman behind me arguing with this guy saying, "Don't EVEN compare them to U2!" It's everywhere. :lol:

I really liked the show, but that magical feeling just wasn't there like it is with a U2 show, there is something special that happens there and I can't make it tangible but I know it's there.

I have no problem with bands trying to compete with U2. It would be nice to see some fresh competition with younger bands trying to make better music than U2. Coldplay are an allright band, I own X&Y and there are some good songs and guitar sounds reminiscent of the unforgettable fire, but it's not on the same level or better than UF. If coldplay are trying to be the next "U2" they won't for two reasons. Coldplay does not have the magic in songs that U2 does, and Chris Martin doesn’t have much of a charisma to take on a rock star such as Bono. But I agree with Chris Martins statement that “U2 can be beaten” they can be beaten, but not by a wussy band like Coldplay. (no offence to coldplay fans)
:D

did anybody read the article in the LA times LIFE magazine last week

it had CP on the cover

if they had not given the interview
and consented I would have believed
it was not serious

they sais things

like "we only play 90 minutes so we won't bore our fans"

and "chris martin wanted to put an ice rink in the middle of the stage
but the drummer told him no."

yeah these guys are "rock legends"?

they're an average band with way too much attention on them.

deep said:
like "we only play 90 minutes so we won't bore our fans"

and "chris martin wanted to put an ice rink in the middle of the stage
but the drummer told him no."

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

What a pathetic excuse for a band.

U2 CAN be beaten in many respects, in album sales, ticket sales, critical acclaim, even musical excellence etc, but for me at least, they will never be beaten by any other band simply because U2 mean so much to me.
I can't say what exactly is better about them, or even what I like about them, I just know that they give me a feeling that I've never, ever felt when I hear any other band/musician playing.

Actually, that's not quite true. My brother gave me that feeling one night when we were both a little drunk and just stuffing around with a guitar. He played the most heartfelt guitar part since Love Is Blindness that night, but that's another story. (Which I've pretty much just told anyway. :uhoh: )

Coldplay wont beat them. Coldplay just sell a lot of records because they write pretty songs. A majority of their songs are just fluff. They wont ever beat U2 content wise. That's why I get annoyed when I see the headlines on magazines that say "The next U2."

Back
Top Bottom