MERGED-->Best song of Live 8 + Live 8 Setlist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mo786

War Child
Best song of Live 8

There were only ever gonna be 3 contenders

One - solid performance by U2 (my fave all time song)

Angels - Woulda been good if Robbie hadn't messed around so much.

But my choice would go to Comfortably Numb.... off the page IMO.

Annie Lennox - Why
R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts

Annie was especially good/emotional.
Oh and the final Scissor Sisters song was great too.

REM are my 2nd fave band but they were not as good as I expected today - what the hel lwas that facepaint? does he do that normally?

One- Very Solid, The Spirit of the songs just blankets what Live 8 is all about

Comfortably Numb- Absolute Ice Chill Moment, Its those rare moments when music is bigger than life

Rest were good, but these two were really superlative performances. Maybe I am biased towards U2, but I felt something special esp. Bono's speech.

Annie Lennox "Why"
Pink Floyd "Comfortably Numb"
Bjork "?"
U2 "One"
R.E.M. "Man On The Moon"
Neil Young...hasn't happened yet but I'm sure he'll be great.

U2 whole thing
Annie Lennox whole thing
Pink Floyd whole thing
Stereophonics whole thing
Madonna Music and Like A Prayer
The Who whole thing
Green Day whole thing
Muse whole thing
Velvet Revolver whole thing

Somewhere amongst those performances was my favorite song but I can't pick one.

yimou said:
The whole thing with Pink Floyd

I'm biased towards U2 (and Coldplay's "Fix You" was REALLY good too)...

But Pink Floyd was just mind-blowing. Everything after it seemed to be lacking...even if it wasn't, it couldn't compare to that.

green day is a waste of space. they played a good song, which was completely inappropriate for the event. pathetic. simply pathetic.

Pink Floyd was incredible. Not as good as Queens set in 1985, but easily the best of the 2005.

Pink Floyd, Madonna, U2, The Who and Paul McCartney were all excellent.

There wasn't really anyone who underperformed, but some were better than others, such as The Killers and the Stereophonics.

scottyT said:
green day is a waste of space. they played a good song, which was completely inappropriate for the event. pathetic. simply pathetic.

I agree. Nice way to get Americans involved --- by calling them a bunch of idiots.

what american idiot? well its kind of referring to bush and people who follow him blindly and i would have to agree with green day... dont know why it was inapproporiate?

U2inBigD said:

I agree. Nice way to get Americans involved --- by calling them a bunch of idiots.

I'm not a Green Day fan by any means, but AFAIK that song(and the theme of the cd) isn't calling anyone an idiot. It is simply an ode to what could be percieved as our culture of ignorance - which I certainly can't argue with. Besides, I can't argue with 'em. Something like Jay Leno's 'jaywalking' would probably show there are way too many of us who couldn't even find the concert locations today on a globe....

every breath you take was amazing-- changing the lyrics to be directed at the world leaders and having their pictures on the screens turned out to be great

I know what American Idiot is about, but most people don't. And I think it is a poor choice of a song to try and get a wide range of people to support your cause.

U2inBigD said:
I know what American Idiot is about, but most people don't. And I think it is a poor choice of a song to try and get a wide range of people to support your cause.

Flies, honey, vinegar

I liked Kanye West's set, I thought he was super-energetic. Same with Die Toten Hosen, despite the fact I had no clue what they were singing.

Seeing Mad Rich again was wonderful as well.

I only saw the same-clips over-and-over type coverage they showed on VH1, and of that ...other than U2 who were fab of course in what they showed of them and the opening with Paul and Sgt Pepper was just too fun and lovely!...

I was really taken with Madonna's "like a prayer" ( I usually don't like her much...I think aging does her well, and she seemed genuinely in the moment and not posing so much as usual)..

with the little bit of Coldplay I saw..

and with Green Day's version of We are The Champions...(I agree that American idiot would have best been left out! ).

The visuals (and her leaving out the chorus/title 'why') on Annie Lennox's televised bit left me crying,

and I liked Sting's recreation of Every Breath.

The Who were cool, but it freaked me out a bit to see Roger of today after just having watched The Kids are Alright recently...before, hair flowing from his scalp out thru the universe in all directions, barely contained on the stage to now, so much less energetic. At least I got to hear him say 'fuck' aloud on the ABC special, although the captioning had it as 'bleep'.

But yeah, Pink Floyd was probably the biggie highlight, and they sounded terrific...

cheers!

Back
Top Bottom