MERGED ----> Amy Winehouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree that it's easy and more acceptable to call a celebrity names than a "real", non-famous person.

I just wish "whore" and "slut" would drop off the list of names people toss around at female celebs.

LemonMelon said:
For me, I'm still on the fence with her...she has an amazing voice, but she does dress rather whorishly. :hmm:

she's a great drunk

she once punched a fan and even told Bono to shut up :love:

Moral question: If one was to run around the backallies punching whores in the face, would it be assault or vigilante justice? :hmm:

I don't care what Winehouse looks like,. just as I don't care what The Miracles, Temptations, The Commodores, or The Marvelettes look like.

Sure it's easier to buy into a band or artist with a slick, market-ready image, but if people did that exclusively why would Radiohead be so lauded then?

See what I did there? :wink:

I think she looks absolutely ridiculous, but would be surprised if she ended up being famous for very long.

But Winehouse is so obviously marketing her image just for that purpose. It's because she's so radical or different or whatever that she got press to begin with.

Lancemc said:
Moral question: If one was to run around the backallies punching whores in the face, would it be assault or vigilante justice? :hmm:

I suppose if you're punching them just because they're whores, then it's assault. If the whores stole all your money or kicked all the puppies or something, then I guess you could try and call it vigilante justice.

But seriously, wtf are you trying to get at?

corianderstem said:

I suppose if you're punching them just because they're whores, then it's assault. If the whores stole all your money or kicked all the puppies or something, then I guess you could try and call it vigilante justice.

But seriously, wtf are you trying to get at?

Nothing really, just seemed like the natural follow-up question to xavi's comment.

corianderstem said:
I agree that it's easy and more acceptable to call a celebrity names than a "real", non-famous person.

I just wish "whore" and "slut" would drop off the list of names people toss around at female celebs.

maybe that would happen when some female celebs stop using whoriness as a tool to become famous
*cough*parishilton*cough*

Dusty Bottoms said:
maybe that would happen when some female celebs stop using whoriness as a tool to become famous

: ducks back into thread :

One can only hope.

: ducks back out of thread :

Dusty Bottoms said:

bingo_set.jpg

I took note of Amy from the first time I heard her voice, which was before I'd even seen a picture. Her voice won me over, I wouldn't have cared what she looked like.

Amy Winehouse just isn't one of those artists I'd start a thread about using the comment "Amy Winehouse - I'm appreciating her...IN MY PANTS". :wink:

I don't care for her personality or her look, but Back to Black is a great album. After reading that recent cover story about her in Rolling Stone, I was surprised that someone who's still so immature could sing with that kind of soulfulness.

Does she write her own songs? I bought the album from iTunes, and it didn't come with an interactive booklet.

Amy Winehouse is alright, she'll be played on the radio ad nauseum for a few months, which will make me hate her.

I'm still firmly entrenched in the "Leslie Feist owns Amy Winehouse and Lily Allen easily" Camp.

Anyone else into Amy Winehouse?

for a moment look past her recent Headline news, about drugs, etc.

her style of music is one that demonstrates what is missing from today's charts, methinks. I am so glad she came along and injected a bit of 'old style' back.

thank you Amy!

I absolutely love Rehab.......I dance like a loonie when its on...:):D:D

so, anyone?

:flirt:

Both of her albums are fantastic. When I first heard her voice, I thought, damn where did that woman get those pipes? When you see her picture it's even more mystifying. The feeling I get listening to her reminds me a bit of when Lauren Hill first came on the scene, so much old-school soul in her voice.

The bonus track "Addicted" is actually my favorite out of anything on there, not sure if it's on all the editions of the album. It's about how her roommate's boyfriend smokes all of Amy's pot every time he comes over, and she's telling her roommate she needs to replentish the stash--the lyrics are hysterical. The music sounds totally like the Supremes or one of those old girl groups, and it's a great combination.

Oddly enough, it was the first song she played on her Coachella set earlier this year.

When I hearb Back to Black I was surprised at how it jumped out how interesting it was to listen to. I dislike how the production throughout the record is the same making all the songs sound too similar to each other, but that's just a small little defect in my view.

If anyone would like to check out John Legend's song "Slow Dance" he also sampled the song that she sampled on "He Can Only Hold Her". I thought it was interesting how it goes to show that two artists can have a different take on the same sample or music sequence.

BrownEyedBoy said:
If anyone would like to check out John Legend's song "Slow Dance" he also sampled the song that she sampled on "He Can Only Hold Her". I thought it was interesting how it goes to show that two artists can have a different take on the same sample or music sequence.

That's cool. I love both of those songs but had never realized they included samples from the same song.

I've borrowed Back in Black from the library, and I'm just listening to it for the first time right now.

"Tears Dry On Their Own." Wow. WOW!!!!!!!!!

The great things people have said about this girl are true! WHAT A VOICE.

God, don't let her throw this gift away!!!!

kellyahern said:
For those of you who just got "Frank", what did you think of it?

I'm a little disappointed, I like Back To Black a lot better, but it's still a decent disc.

Back
Top Bottom