MERGED --> ALL QUESTIONS/COMMENTS about the ELLIPSE HERE + "Ellipse" GA Policy U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
STING2 said:

I totally disagree. The main benefit to lining up early was so that you could get inside the "heart" area period. You could go to the bathroom, get something to drink any time you wanted and as long as you got into the heart, you essentially had a reserved spot in the front. Sure, there are some fans that will glue themselves to a certain part on the outside of the egg or heart area, but their in the minority. Most people line up to get inside the heart, and this lottery system totally robs them of the great opportunity to get inside. People all over the world have taken valuable vacation time and booked hotels just so they would be able to line up early in order to get inside the "Egg". Now this lottery system has totally made all their preperations, and plans irrelevant.

There was never anything wrong with first come, first serve. Everyone one knows the Elevation Tour was a massive success in just about every way you could think of. Why change something that worked and make that change without telling people before they bought GA and schedualed time off and booked hotels so they could have the opportunity to get inside the "heart" like last time?

BRAVO!!! WELL SAID

bonosgirl84 said:
thx, U2SJ. and to everyone who feels sad for me. :hug:

i was at the tip of the circle, with one girl in front of me. but i had to give up my spot when i was too crushed to breathe. i was pulled over the railing right after vertigo.

God, what a nightmare. Where did you go after you were pulled out?

i was at San Diego 1, and i don't like this lottery system. i don't have a problem with some sort of lottery to prevent the long campouts, but i think there's a better way to handle it. this is very complicated, and the fact that you can only bring 1 friend will probably cause a lot of problems. for example, i am going to 2 more shows on this leg, both times there will be 3 of us who are going as a group- what will happen if one of us gets picked?? i sense some hurt feelings... :(

i was number 37 in line, and i ended up being on the rail outside the ellipse, right where bono/larry play the drums on "Love and Peace". i can't complain, as it was an AWESOME spot. however, if you're not within the first few rows outside the ellipse, i have a feeling that you won't be very happy w/ your seat (ie, blocked view, shoving, etc). and people are going to keep camping out in order to get those outside-ellipse spots (i figure if you're in the first 200-250 you should be within 3 rows of outer walkway).

the real people who are going to have problems are those who do NOT win the lottery (1 in 10 chance- not good odds), and who are further than #250 in line.

i dunno... i am not a fan of this particular lottery system, and think it could be handled a bit better. i guess we'll see what happens as the tour goes on.

those who like the lottery system now might have a different opinion after actually experiencing it... that is, if they don't get lucky- anyone who gets into the ellipse will probably LOVE it! ;)

it was a great concert, btw- band was a bit rusty, but to be expected since it's opening night! LPOE was AMAZING- one of U2's BEST live songs ever! bono pounding away on the drums was fantastic- and larry singing was... wow!!! still love the music, even if i don't love the lottery! ;)

Well, I got GA's for Friday night, so it'll be interesting to see what goes down there...I was planning on being there late Thursday to camp out, but now it's a bit of a toss-up. I'll tell you this- if I don't get into the "ellipse" (or within two people of the rail outside it), i'll probably head for the mixing desk. Why get crammed by a bunch of people and not see the whole show, when I can get the full magnitude (and best sound from what I've heard) of the show from the back?

Here's a question I hope someone can answer..

How big were the lines for each group? (Pre-sale ticket line and regular GA line)...

I would appreciate a rough estimate of people in each line to sorta know what I'm up against.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
God, what a nightmare. Where did you go after you were pulled out?

well, first i went upstairs to get some air and drink a beer to calm my nerves, lol.

when i went back down to the floor, i stood with some friends at the back of the arena, near the wall, one who had already left the tip before the band came on because she was feeling claustrophobic and dizzy, and one who graciously gave up his spot behind me to make sure i was ok.

so basically, i drove seven hours in easter traffic, slept in a van, and froze my ass off in the pouring rain so i could watch U2 on a tv screen.

just like i do at home. :|

Last edited:
I think the best solution would be to allocate the first 3/4ers of the spots for those at the front of the line and let a random beep assign the other quarter (or half and half). You reward the effort of those rabid enough to camp out while giving an oppurtunity to those that can't or won't camp out. I think one of the reasons behind the new process is the management just don't want fans camping out. I assume the band incurs at least some cost for staffing &/or police when there are several hundred people camped out. I also would be concerned about having fans camping out all day in the dead of winter (like Montreal in the end of November). While I am a long time fan since seeing them in '87 in Chicago and dozens of times since, have 100's of boots, been a Prop member since ZooTv, I am guess I am not a "good enough" fan to camp out all day to try to get in the heart under the old system. I do like the new system, as I'll now have a chance at the eclipse.

i think they should line everybody up shortest to tallest and then the shortest people get to go in first

that way everybody will get a good view

Update from atu2.com

HOT!UPDATE: NEW OFFICIAL WORD ON SD #2 GA LINEUPS
March 30, 2005
posted by: m2

Update: Hi. Me again. 12:15 pm Wednesday, and I've just gotten off the phone with "Jason", a member of U2's security team who is managing the GA lineup today in San Diego. Here's the latest on what is obviously a very fluid situation:

* U2's management insisted that the GA line be separated into two, one for U2.com members and one for everyone else, "in order to maintain consistency" with what started on Monday
* so, there are now two GA lines, just like Monday
* also just like Monday, both lines will go into the arena at the same time -- the only benefit to being in the U2.com member line is that it's shorter, and should move faster
* since there are no U2.com presale tickets for today, they are using the U2.com membership card as your ID ... or ... a printout of your U2.com profile from inside the U2.com members area
* many fans have left the GA line to go to the nearby KINKO's to use the computers there to print out their U2.com profile
* at future shows, you can bring your U2.com membership card and/or your U2.com profile printout as proof of your U2.com membership status

On a related note, a couple U2.com members have shared news in @U2's Forum that Fanfire is planning a large shipment of membership cards to people who have not yet received theirs.

And we'll keep you posted as we hear more news from San Diego today....

U2WOJO said:
I think one of the reasons behind the new process is the management just don't want fans camping out. I assume the band incurs at least some cost for staffing &/or police when there are several hundred people camped out.

more crap.

why should the band care if fans camp out. security AT THE ARENA didn't care if we camped out. they actually honored our lined in the morning, instead of giving out random wristbands as was rumored.

there were several hundred people and i didn't see any cops. security was actually really friendly, considering what they were dealing with.

wow, im almost glad im not part of that mess today

although i did have my membership card with me, why couldnt they have done that for the opener...

Yay! I'm happy about this. Now I'll be able to be in the u2.com line for the Vancouver 2 show with my membership card :)

bonosgirl84 said:

more crap.

why should the band care if fans camp out. security AT THE ARENA didn't care if we camped out. they actually honored our lined in the morning, instead of giving out random wristbands as was rumored.

there were several hundred people and i didn't see any cops. security was actually really friendly, considering what they were dealing with.

that is true, i think security was very happy with the way the fans were handling it. i heard a few comments from security guards who were impressed with how orderly everything was.

then the u2.com people or whoever had to mess it all up with their own system

Fantastic that they don't make us have the cards.........now I can just print out a piece of paper to show I'm a U2.com member and hang out in the fancy line. :wink:

*Ally* said:
...anyone who gets into the ellipse will probably LOVE it! ;)

actuallly, no. It would have been nice to has some sort of validation that my wait of 16+ hours was worth it. Instead it was all by chance. And because of that I was seperated from everyone I knew. I couldn't pick one of my friends to go in with me. Because of the nature of the previous lineup they were way ahead of me and had already gone in to the arena floor. I guess it wasn't anyone's fault... however I've been making myself sick with the guilt ever since :|

bonosgirl84 said:

more crap.

While I know you are unhappy, why is my post crap? Who do you think pays for the security that would not be needed if there were no reason to camp out at 3:eek:o Am? There are liability concerns about having people camped out in the dead of winter or in seedy areas around some of these arenas (see the United Center). When someone gets hurt who pays the lawsuit that will inevitably name U2?

So If I give a monkey a printout that says he's a member of U2.com can he wait on the fanclub line. KOKO really wants to get a place on the rail.

Don't these people ever think logically

:shrug:

U2WOJO said:

While I know you are unhappy, why is my post crap? Who do you think pays for the security that would not be needed if there were no reason to camp out at 3.00 am? There are liability concerns about having people camped out in the dead of winter or in seedy areas around some of these arenas (see the United Center). When someone gets hurt who pays the lawsuit that will inevitably name U2?

actually it would be the venue's liability. it's their property. if the venue's security had no issues with us, then why should the U2 management?

Cleasai said:

actuallly, no. It would have been nice to has some sort of validation that my wait of 16+ hours was worth it. Instead it was all by chance. And because of that I was seperated from everyone I knew. I couldn't pick one of my friends to go in with me. Because of the nature of the previous lineup they were way ahead of me and had already gone in to the arena floor. I guess it wasn't anyone's fault... however I've been making myself sick with the guilt ever since :|

i'm sorry to hear that. i have a similar concern, as i'm doing 2 GA shows w/ my friends, and there will be a group of 3 of us. if one of us gets lucky, then 1 person will be left out (and maybe with some hurt feelings).

the buddy system really kinda... sucks.

XBL_AchtungBaby said:
So If I give a monkey a printout that says he's a member of U2.com can he wait on the fanclub line. KOKO really wants to get a place on the rail.

Don't these people ever think logically

:shrug:

Well and if they don't accept the print out, what about those without cards? :shrug:

Maybe because the whole reason everyone is there is because the band encourages the system by creating a reward for the first person in the line would be where the band has liability potentially. When something like frost bite or a mugging happen, U2 & the venue will both get named in the suit.

*Ally* said:

i'm sorry to hear that. i have a similar concern, as i'm doing 2 GA shows w/ my friends, and there will be a group of 3 of us. if one of us gets lucky, then 1 person will be left out (and maybe with some hurt feelings).

the buddy system really kinda... sucks.

I'm in the same boat for Montreal. I think the thing to do is get bracelets for the 2 you can and keep begging for the 3rd right up until the show starts. At worst 2 of you can go in for a couple of songs to check out the experience. Unless something has changed, you can move in an out of the eclipse area and between the eclipse and the other GA floor area.

Alright, I can see your point. I guess I'm just having a hard time swallowing that, that is the reason for a lottery.

I think they should make the prequisite for the u2.com line the membership card/profile printout for every show, presale tickets or not.

That would allow u2.com members who got shut out in the presale and ended up buying their tickets from the general sale etc. eligible for that line and would also keep non u2.com members who purchased fan club scalped tickets out of the line.

so are they only going to allow peopl with membership cards go in the second line for shows without presales?

thats going to create even more confusion

i almosr want to trade my ga's to shows that had a presale to shows that didnt so i could use my membership card to get into the line

because somehow i got shut out of GA's in the perfectly organized presale they ran :eyeroll:

ramblin rose said:
I think they should make the prequisite for the u2.com line the membership card/profile printout for every show, presale tickets or not.

That would allow u2.com members who got shut out in the presale and ended up buying their tickets from the general sale etc. eligible for that line and would also keep non u2.com members who purchased fan club scalped tickets out of the line.

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Are they gonna ID you too to make sure your U2.com membership matches the printout. Otherwise, you can just a copy from someone and use it to all the shows that had no presale

U2WOJO said:

While I know you are unhappy, why is my post crap? Who do you think pays for the security that would not be needed if there were no reason to camp out at 3:00 Am? There are liability concerns about having people camped out in the dead of winter or in seedy areas around some of these arenas (see the United Center). When someone gets hurt who pays the lawsuit that will inevitably name U2?

your post is crap because i said so.

there was no security at three am. they didn't roll around until about seven, i think. and i seriously doubt u2 could be persionally sued by a fan who got hurt camping out to see them.

bonosgirl84 said:

your post is crap because i said so.

there was no security at three am. they didn't roll around until about seven, i think. and i seriously doubt u2 could be persionally sued by a fan who got hurt camping out to see them.

The security guard was making the rounds. I saw the dude drive up at 5am.

They had to move the line several times.

Hey it's your choice to line up early.

Me #122

Back
Top Bottom