MERGED --> ALL QUESTIONS/COMMENTS about the ELLIPSE HERE + "Ellipse" GA Policy U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: lottery

djparky said:
personally I think it's a good idea, there are many fans who will be unable to camp out over night- things like kids, jobs etc so why should they lose out?

as I said in another post the GA in the US shows is so small that wherever you are you should see alot of the stage

For the billionth time, they sold 90% of this show with SEATS!!! You got kids, no prob, buy a seat! Don't think using a vacation day is worth it? No prob, buy a seat. Do you really think anyone would have bought GA knowing standing in line could still land you in the back of the arena? What's the point of GA if it's determined by lotto? You might as well go back to seats.

Last edited:
Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

Then why are those seating charts still up? And didn't U2 know that there would be an ellipse? If so, then it's still their fault that they didn't put out a proper seating chart to post on ticketmaster.

Agreed. You know the band management is still responsible in the end. Why is everyone trying to hide the fact this obviously wasn't thought out very well. I still love the band and I will still go to the show. I'm just disappointed in the way they are handling it. You want a well oiled concert machine for fans? Check out Warehouse for the DMB, it's amazing, and proof this can be done right without headaches. (not that they compare with U2 musically, but that's a different story...)

jenniferheger said:
OOTS-I feel the same as you, just happy to be in the building. But being a 5'5 female, I wasn't able to see a thing and I had camped out all day.I felt like I was having an out of body experience/horrible nightmare as the band took the stage and I couldn't see a damn thing.

OOTS would tell you that this is "fair."

djparky said:
personally I think it's a good idea, there are many fans who will be unable to camp out over night- things like kids, jobs etc so why should they lose out?

i have both, and i managed. so does/did the girl i was with.

that's a crap excuse.

tkramer said:

Agreed. You know the band management is still responsible in the end. Why is everyone trying to hide the fact this obviously wasn't thought out very well. I still love the band and I will still go to the show. I'm just disappointed in the way they are handling it. You want a well oiled concert machine for fans? Check out Warehouse for the DMB, it's amazing, and proof this can be done right without headaches. (not that they compare with U2 musically, but that's a different story...)

:lol:

WOW, you are right, U2 had evil intentions and are outright BAD!!!. How dare they not please some fans!! First the presale, now they want their concerts to be set up how they want. HOW DARE THEY!!!

I understand the frustration from some of you. But this just isnt a HUGE deal in the scheme of things if you REALLY think about it. Remember a few months ago when people were bitching because they couldnt even get a ticket to be in the building??? I take it some of you are glass is half empty people. :)

According to U2.com:

Want to get into the elipse but didn’t buy your tickets in the presale ?

As you know some of the shows were not included in any presale, so here’s how you GA ticket-holders can get into the elipse.

As usual there will be two lines, one for all GAers and one for U2.Com subscriber GAers. To show that you are a U2.com subscriber and get into the U2.Com line, print off your PROFILE page, which you will find under ‘MY PROFILE’ in the main navigation bar on the subscriber home page. Bring your profile and photo I.D. with you to the venue so security knows you are who you say you are.

In other words, they realized that people would just give each other the key chain in order to get into the U2.com line, so the keychain is now worthless once again.

Re: lottery

djparky said:
personally I think it's a good idea, there are many fans who will be unable to camp out over night- things like kids, jobs etc

i am a single mother, have a full time job with 40+ hours, never home, always on the go, busy as hell. but i still made time to camp out for GA tixs when they went on sale. then i camped out overnight in the GA line. i still managed.

Blue Room said:

WOW, you are right, U2 had evil intentions and are outright BAD!!!. How dare they not please some fans!! First the presale, now they want their concerts to be set up how they want. HOW DARE THEY!!!

I understand the frustration from some of you. But this just isnt a HUGE deal in the scheme of things if you REALLY think about it. Remember a few months ago when people were bitching because they couldnt even get a ticket to be in the building??? I take it some of you are glass is half empty people. :)

No one is saying they had 'evil intentions'. It's clear they had good intentions in mind and just wanted to give a chance to more fans. But good intentions do not make for good policy, and I think as many fans need to tell U2, U2.com and their managment about why they disagree with this system and all the potential problems it brings (the fact that this system splits-up groups is in itself a reason to change the policy).

You're right, in the big scheme of things it's not such a big deal, but the reason why so many people are still discussing it is because it's still early in the tour and we're hoping it will change. If after reading comments and talking to people (there is a thread in Zootopia where the U2.com team asked for people's opinions, so I'm sure someone will read it), U2 decides to keep the policy, we'll live with it and adapt our plans, that's all.

Until then, I hope many people talk to some tour folks at the shows, post on Zootopia and even e-mail Principle Managment about it if they feel like it. No need to freak-out, being disrespectful or anything, just explain rationally why this policy is bad for most fans and doesn't solve any of the problems it intended to.

Blue Room said:

People bitched that the new album 'lacking imagination'

People bitched the presale.

People are bitching about the lottery.

People are bitching about the setlists.

U2 is not in the business to make everyone happy. It is not possible nor realistic. Go and enjoy the show. They are doing it they way they want to. Accept it.

Re: Re: lottery

tkramer said:

For the billionth time, they sold 90% of this show with SEATS!!! You got kids, no prob, buy a seat! Don't think using a vacation day is worth it? No prob, buy a seat. Do you really think anyone would have bought GA knowing standing in line could still land you in the back of the arena? What's the point of GA if it's determined by lotto? You might as well go back to seats.

What about the people who couldn't afford $160 a seat. $50 is way more affordable to a lot of people. Would you tell them just not to go if they couldn't afford a seat?

The OOTS said:

People bitched that the new album 'lacking imagination'

People bitched the presale.

People are bitching about the lottery.

People are bitching about the setlists.

U2 is not in the business to make everyone happy. It is not possible nor realistic. Go and enjoy the show. They are doing it they way they want to. Accept it.

You can't compare setlists with this. They have hundreds of songs under their belt. There is no fair way to make all people happy with the setlist.

The GA ticket issue simply that I bought a GA ticket and now it isn't. If you bought sec. 102 row A and they moved you to sec. 207 row H an hour before the show started you'd piss your pants. Would it still be an amazing show? Heck yeah, but what a buzz kill!! Concerts shouldn't be like that!

How'd you like to go from thinking you had a shot at an amazing spot at the show to not seeing anything because you're not tall enough? Is that fair? It isn't just "Hey jackass, you're within 100 yards of U2, count yourself lucky" It's physically being able to see and enjoy the show at all.

I'm going to Keane in May and you can bet their tiny little show will be handled 50 times better than this.

This situation has removed what little control GA ticket holders had to begin with.

Blue Room said:

Come on Blue Room! Are you over six ft. tall? Then that's no problem! But this is going to be a huge issue for those that had counted on being inside the BS to see anything. If I were solo, I won't care. I'd push and shove the jerks that push and shove on the outside rail. But I'm married to someone shorter than myself... And I worry for her safety!

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: lottery

The OOTS said:

What about the people who couldn't afford $160 a seat. $50 is way more affordable to a lot of people. Would you tell them just not to go if they couldn't afford a seat?

49.50 for a seat right behind the stage that is a better view than most in the front.

Okay first GA experience last night for this tour. Got there early at about 8:30 am was #89 on the fanclub line. We got in and didn't get into to the shelter and although that really sucked (big time and I hated it....oh well) Got front rail on the right side so whatever still can see my boys!!! So although it did sour me of the whole GA experience I'll be okay. It's not that big a deal BUT it does still piss you off; But I'll get over it.

Again I have a GA for tonight's show BUT I've learned!! I'm getting there later in the afternoon. I still want the experience of standing in line with fellow fans, and wherever I'm at in the building that's that and it's all good. It's just so not worth getting upset for. In the end I'm there to hear LIVE MUSIC and that's all that counts!! Hope everybody get lucky and get's what they want (which I doubt but hey I'm an optimist!)

I have heard from friends that have been offered passes into the ellipse upon having their tickets scanned. Several people offered them $100 for their wristbands! This is getting nuts! The boys need to real about this, and quick.

jenniferheger said:
I have heard from friends that have been offered passes into the ellipse upon having their tickets scanned. Several people offered them $100 for their wristbands! This is getting nuts! The boys need to real about this, and quick.

i had a feeling stuff like that would start happening... :no:

Want to get in the bomb shelter? Then arrive very very...late??

By buddy showed up late for San Diego show # 2 at about 9:10 pm and he was beeped in. He said the two people behind him who also had GA seats got selected too. Okay, just a coincidence I'm thinking.

But get this: last night, my buddy was stuck at work in LA so we arrive late to the Anaheim show # 2. I actually like to sit in the back of the floor, just a personal preference, so I didn't mind. I find the effects, the lighting and the sound are all tailor made for that spot as long as you don't care to get up close and personal.

Anyway, we got there right about 9:00 pm and there were a group of 3 girls just ahead of us that were selected to get in the ellipse and ours beeped as well!! I'm thinking that this may make sense, as the ellipse doesn't seem to be filled to capacity until the end. So what happens is that at the end, the random odds get better and better because the number of outstanding tickets are lower compared to the number of spots so the odds are stacked for the end.......just an interesting observation I had that I wanted to share.....

Another good idea, apparently, is if you don't get selected, hang out near Edge's side of the egg -- they'll be looking to fill it up, and that's where they'll grab people from.

The capacity of the eclypse is the same every night! So I can't imagine that they put more people in because the ecplyse 'looks' empty... The eclypse (just like the GA floor in general) has a certain capacity, and they must hold to that for safety reasons of course...

the eclypse is what covers the moon... just spelled differently :wink:

the ellipse is a circular shape... i.e. the egg, the heart, the bomb shelter, the toilet

how it actually works is like this... when you arrive, they give you a beeper like what you get at the outback or other resturants. you then take the beeper and shove it up your ass. as you pass through the metal detectors, if your ass beeps, you're allowed into the toilet. if you're ass doesn't beep, you've just got a beeper stuck up your ass.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the eclypse is what covers the moon... just spelled differently :wink:

the ellipse is a circular shape... i.e. the egg, the heart, the bomb shelter, the toilet

how it actually works is like this... when you arrive, they give you a beeper like what you get at the outback or other resturants. you then take the beeper and shove it up your ass. as you pass through the metal detectors, if your ass beeps, you're allowed into the toilet. if you're ass doesn't beep, you've just got a beeper stuck up your ass.

Sounds reasonable.

I love the new system. No more advantage for people who have endless pockets buying front row from brokers (like tours prior to Elevation with assigned seats). No more advantage for those with the time or willingness to camp out all day, which I'm sorry, is not representative of an average fan. MOST U2 fans will not pay $2000 for a front row seat anymore than they would camp out all day. So what if a few hundred people per venue who have probably already had the experience of the heart don't get lucky enough to get in the bomb shelter? I hope my tall enough to be happy out in the general floor area, don't know enough words to the songs for some peoples liking, gonna show up after the warmup act has started a$$ gets lucky enough to be in the bomb shelter. Otherwise, you know what? I'll have a great time out in the regular floor area which is still an awesome experience.

i got to Anaheim on Saturday around 8pm and got beeped in ... but my brothers ticket and the guy in front of us did not beep

not sure if that helps your theory or not ... it could be just more noticable later in the day ... when people are entering at rate of 4 people per minute rather than 50 people storming the door

at the very end there is a need to fill the ellipse. Not because it looks empty, but because it IS under capacity. Here's why: random # of people pre selected to get into the ellipse, but not all go in, or not all are scanned.
1. 2 people together, BOTH of their tickets are preselected. Only one gets scanned though because as soon as one ticket gets the 2 people in there is no reason to scan the 2nd ticket. If its a 1 in 5 chance to get into the ellipse (I read that somewhere on here), its a 1 in 25 chance that BOTH tickets are preselected. Not that impossible.
2. People in groups larger than 2. One person gets selected, but doesnt want to split up the group. They all stay outside the ellipse.
3. As the starter of this thread stated, some people prefer to be outside the ellipse. Their preselected ticket never gets scanned.

Last edited:
GretzkyU2Yanks said:
at the very end there is a need to fill the ellipse. Not because it looks empty, but because it IS under capacity. Here's why: random # of people pre selected to get into the ellipse, but not all go in, or not all are scanned.
1. 2 people together, BOTH of their tickets are preselected. Only one gets scanned though because as soon as one ticket gets the 2 people in there is no reason to scan the 2nd ticket. If its a 1 in 5 chance to get into the ellipse (I read that somewhere on here), its a 1 in 25 chance that BOTH tickets are preselected. Not that impossible.
2. People in groups larger than 2. One person gets selected, but doesnt want to split up the group. They all stay outside the ellipse.
3. As the starter of this thread stated, some people prefer to be outside the ellipse. Their preselected ticket never gets scanned.

Good theory... Hhhhhmmm, maybe I'll just show up at 7...

Back
Top Bottom