Mercy !! Edge Answers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aygo said:

There are dozens of U2 songs that are less dynamic and with no progression than Mercy. Mercy starts to explode in the middle, just after the 2nd chorus and the multiple bridges. What you people don't like is that Mercy does not respect the conventions of a usual U2 song and it has too much structures repeating themselves.

Well, you obviously know everything about people´s tastes and opinions.

Aygo said:

There are dozens of U2 songs that are less dynamic and with no progression than Mercy.

Yes, and I don't like them.

Mercy starts to explode in the middle, just after the 2nd chorus and the multiple bridges.

:lol:

Mercy explodes? Really? I don't hear it. Bono's vocal delivery gets more ear-grating in certain sections and Edge plays with a smidgen more vigour, but I would hardly call that an explosion.

What you people don't like is that Mercy does not respect the conventions of a usual U2 song and it has too much structures repeating themselves.

Wrong. I do want to hear U2 write songs that don't stick to the same old formula. I also want them to be, you know, good songs. Mercy is average, in my opinion. Average, average, average. The lyrics are rubbish and Bono's vocal delivery leaves a lot to be desired. Edge probably couldn't have written a duller riff if he tried.

I just don't think Mercy is up to much. If you like it, so be it, just don't be snippy with those who don't think the song is the second coming of Christ.

got_edge said:

So that would be like the first coming of Christ?

I LOVE MERCY!
I LOVE MERCY!
I LOVE MERCY!
I LOVE MERCY!
I LOVE MERCY!
I LOVE MERCY!

NO, IT WOULDN'T, JUST CONVERT TO CHRISTIANITY DAMN IT. :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

How about adding some strings 2 this track? I mean, I love the song as is, but some strings here and there could really add some depth...

GibsonGirl said:

Yes, and I don't like them.

:lol:

Mercy explodes? Really? I don't hear it. Bono's vocal delivery gets more ear-grating in certain sections and Edge plays with a smidgen more vigour, but I would hardly call that an explosion.

Wrong. I do want to hear U2 write songs that don't stick to the same old formula. I also want them to be, you know, good songs. Mercy is average, in my opinion. Average, average, average. The lyrics are rubbish and Bono's vocal delivery leaves a lot to be desired. Edge probably couldn't have written a duller riff if he tried.

I just don't think Mercy is up to much. If you like it, so be it, just don't be snippy with those who don't think the song is the second coming of Christ.

This comment never justifies anything against what I said, it never goes against really.
But, let me tell you that Mercy has so or more dynamics than Elevation or than Walk On, for instance.
Explosion... naturally, I was exagerating, but you understood perfectily what I was telling.
The lyrics are very good, rich in metaphores and antítesis (don't know how to write this correctly) and Bono has already written worse this decade.
Bono's vocals? Come on... ATYCLB and Pop have far worse (weak?) vocals than this!

Mercy has a lot of great ideas but it's badly in need of an edit. Calm down, it will only make the song stronger. I mean, that first verse... it goes on forever before it gets to the (fantastic and explosive) chorus. I love it as it is now, a very promising work in progress, but I'm even more excited by its potential. It could be one of their greatest moments. I've been living with that track for two years now and I still feel the same way about it. Mercy is for real. There's a lot of magic in that song and I hope they give it the attention it deserves. Although as a musician, I can relate to being more excited about a new song than an unfinished one from a couple years ago. So it would not surprise me if it ends up falling by the wayside. It would be a shame, but I'd understand.

Point blank, the song, as we know it and as we've heard it, is not done. That's why it hasn't been released. See POP for what happens when U2 release songs that aren't done.

(Oh boy now I've done it. Here come the Pop apologists...)

And did someone really suggest that because Dream Theatre have songs that go on for 24 minutes that that might actually be a good idea? Put down the 14 sided dice and go get some fresh air! ;-) U2 came out of punk and post punk. Its in their DNA to get to the point and get out in less than 5 minutes.

martha said:

Lemon needs about 30 seconds cut out.
For a person who don't like much U2 and is only interested in radio-friendly songs... yes it does.
For a person that likes U2 or for someone who likes to appreciate music as is it or from an artist that makes something different from the usual... the song is perfect as it is and doesn't need to be cut.

There are tones of examples in pop music of songs that run more than 6 minutes, that do not obbey to typical structures, that are stranger (or not) from what the artist has done and... they were sucessful and everybody likes it.

Can't anyone remember "All you need is love"?
More... can't anyone remember "Be Here Now" album and the 9 minute version of "All around the world"?
Can't anyone remember Pink Floyd songs?

and another thing, to fill in the backstory, it was me who gave U2SJ the copy of Mercy way back when. Here's how it went down...

I got HTDAAB about a week and half before it came out from an friend in the music business with Interscope connections. (It was on a cassette of all formats!) I went to my bass players house and we converted it into digital so we could go about learning the songs early (we play in Zoo Station, a Northern California U2 Tribute Band) and get the songs to our bandmates. The next night, we had a show at the Britannia Arms in San Jose and U2SJ had a little get together at her house afterwards. I had the CD with me, and it took some convincing but eventually she agreed to put it on the stereo for her and all the U2 fans that were there. There was some concern about "ruining the surprise" but as soon as the volume went up everyone was into it. And I thought it was cool to be around a group of fans like that, all of them hearing the album for the first time. Anyway, Mercy was on that advance copy. I didn't know what the title was because the tracklisting that had already been posted at U2.com didn't feature it. I left the CD for her as a souvenir, and that was that.

I wasn't there when she met Bono who told her to "look out for Mercy" but she did tell me the story and I think she had a photo. If memory serves, she met him when he and edge came to Cupertino to unveil the U2 iPod and Complete U2 iTunes Box Set with Steve Jobs. Wasn't that about two weeks before HTDAAB came out? I'm sure some trainspotter will look it up.

I only post this because she gets crap from time to time from people who don't believe her story. That's how it went down. She's a lovely girl and as honest as the day is long.

Aygo said:

This was a statement, constating a fact. I was not talking about anyone's opinion.

Wrong. I too can´t wait to hear a less formulaic U2, with a strange song construction. I more or less agree with GibsonGirl about Mercy - the song doesn´t impress me at all. It has here and there its moments, but in its whole it is plain average IMO.

And Lemon is as perfect as it is, cutting it down would be a heresy.

djerdap said:

Wrong. I too can´t wait to hear a less formulaic U2, with a strange song construction. I more or less agree with GibsonGirl about Mercy - the song doesn´t impress me at all. It has here and there its moments, but in its whole it is plain average IMO.

And Lemon is as perfect as it is, cutting it down would be a heresy.
Why do you start your opinions with "Wrong"? Because you feel you have to state your opinion as the truth?
Wrong! Opinions are opinions. You don't like Mercy? Fine, we can live with it, but Mercy - again - is not respectful of structural conventions, and it might not be a brilliant or a finished song, but it's better from some points of view than many other U2 songs.

Aygo said:

all I WANT IS you LENGHT is 6:30
LEMON lenght is 6:56
MOFO lenght is 5:49

any OF these songs ARE amongst U2 longest, and THEY DO not FOLLOW strictly the USUAL structure of a pop SONG. Why WOULD MERCY follow TOO?

PS: maybe he writes with caps locks because it ressembles the back cover of Achtung Baby:confused: :shrug:

bu those songs are easy to sing along to...maybe it's just me, I'm a strange one

ps you spelt length wrong..but I'll keep it a secret i spelt merry wrong:shh:ad i spell a lot wrong

abombdismantler said:
Why thank YOU !!! and IF that is A photo OF you i really LIKE the way YOU look ......

yes it is me and I like THE waY i lOOk Tooo:happy:

teeheheh

goD thAT WAS hard tO FIX!!!

Last edited:
hope this song keep it's complex structure..

it's such a great track
it should be untouched

I'm glad nobody on this site is in charge of editing for U2 because the songs wouyld be ripped to shreds in twelve different directions until there was'nt any. Everybody on here rips new assholes everytime an opinion is submitted. Ahhh fuck it, I like Mercy.

skott100 said:
and another thing, to fill in the backstory, it was me who gave U2SJ the copy of Mercy way back when. Here's how it went down...

I got HTDAAB about a week and half before it came out from an friend in the music business with Interscope connections. (It was on a cassette of all formats!) I went to my bass players house and we converted it into digital so we could go about learning the songs early (we play in Zoo Station, a Northern California U2 Tribute Band) and get the songs to our bandmates. The next night, we had a show at the Britannia Arms in San Jose and U2SJ had a little get together at her house afterwards. I had the CD with me, and it took some convincing but eventually she agreed to put it on the stereo for her and all the U2 fans that were there. There was some concern about "ruining the surprise" but as soon as the volume went up everyone was into it. And I thought it was cool to be around a group of fans like that, all of them hearing the album for the first time. Anyway, Mercy was on that advance copy. I didn't know what the title was because the tracklisting that had already been posted at U2.com didn't feature it. I left the CD for her as a souvenir, and that was that.

I wasn't there when she met Bono who told her to "look out for Mercy" but she did tell me the story and I think she had a photo. If memory serves, she met him when he and edge came to Cupertino to unveil the U2 iPod and Complete U2 iTunes Box Set with Steve Jobs. Wasn't that about two weeks before HTDAAB came out? I'm sure some trainspotter will look it up.

I only post this because she gets crap from time to time from people who don't believe her story. That's how it went down. She's a lovely girl and as honest as the day is long.

Thanks for that story. U2 works in Mysterious Ways.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom