McGuiness talks of the tour after 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love U2360, but three years is already long enough for this tour to go. I'd rather not see it stretched out for a fourth year.

I kind of agree. Unless they'll release one of the bajillion albums they have in the works and make it a fresh tour, but to do so by 2012? I don't know that I see that happening.

Not that I wouldn't go see them as many times as I had the opportunity to do so, but it makes me tired for them just thinking about it. :lol:

:hmm: I'd rather we get a new era after 2011, wait a few years and get an arena tour!

I'm a Claw junkie now. If they come back in 2012 I'll be there.

My guess is they've lost so much ground financially that they need to tour in 2012. Better that than put too much stress on Bono doing dates too close together.

Though if this keeps up, I'll end up getting an apartment in Chicago!:lol:

I think they always had kinda planned on this. I think they realize for now on it's probably smaller scale tours.

I think it's one of the reasons for changing it to 360 instead of Kiss the Future at the last minute, they'll release another album and it will allow for a somewhat seamless transition for the stage isn't tied so deeply into one theme like Zoo or Popmart.

The band lost $7mill due to Bono's injury few shows in the UK and Ireland coming I rec.

They need to come back to the UK, can't believe they've left us out of this Europe tour.

They need to come back to the UK, can't believe they've left us out of this Europe tour.

neither can I- especially as they're revisiting countries/cities this year that they played last year. Hopefully they will play live over here in 2012. That said it just provides an excuse to hope over the channel for some quick breaks in the autumn :D

In the most recent interview published, McGuinness makes no mention of touring in 2012 (360 or otherwise) but does mention there are 20-30 shows coming in 2011.
As for an album, not this year I think. These new songs they are roadtesting are unfinished, as Bono says, and I don't see them finding the time to finish an album's worth of songs while they are on tour.

I agree with powerhour24, by 2012 it'll be time for a new era. I'm all for an arena tour, however I don't know if I see that happening. They are getting older and have earned the right to not work as hard so they can enjoy life and time with their families/friends. I also think they will always play the 360 tour. They might make changes to the video and lighting aspect, but I think this current touring model is here to stay.

Plus look at it this way, Chicago for example:
Elevation/Vertigo tours- 6 shows @ United Center. Roughly 120,000 tickets sold.
360 tour- 3 shows @ Soldier Field. Roughly 210,000 tickets sold.
More people, more money, less work. No way they're going back to arenas unless demand takes a nosedive.

However, if U2 do decide to find themselves playing somewhere within a reasonable drive (or flight) from me in 2012, I'LL SURE AS HELL BE THERE!!!!

They've dropped the number of NLOTH songs from 7 to 4 (as of the first show back), so I think it's a possibility.

It is quite telling that they have dropped Breathe, NLOTH and UC, and have not added anything else from the album into the setlist. I figured SUC was a shoe-in. Seems as though they've forgotten the album already. Achtung Baby was released in NOV 91, and in DEC 93 they were still playing 8 songs from the album in each show. This is no longer a tour in support of the album No Line on the Horizon. There is no precedence for what is happening right now.

The only new material that could be release in November would be the spiderman music,which isn't a real U2 album in my book.I doubt they would play those songs on a U2 tour.

The only new material that could be release in November would be the spiderman music,which isn't a real U2 album in my book.I doubt they would play those songs on a U2 tour.

Yep. The only way this album could be released before Christmas is if it was already finished now. The band will be pretty busy with this tour until early October. Although granted, this tour schedule is not as demanding as some have been in the past, with 3, 4 or more days between most cities. I am EXTREMELY pessimistic about U2 putting something out this fall, or before the end of the 360 tour, to be honest.

U2 don't need a new album to sell out stadiums. However, U2 need a new album to remain relevant, and to not appear to just be doing it for the money. The fact that they're debuting new songs helps make them still appear hungry for the music, so that's a good sign!

I think this may be the last huge stadium tour for U2 for a while at least. With the Claw set-up they have pretty much painted themselves (and other bands!) into a corner with regard to where they can go stadium show-wise. However, I have no doubt that when they decide to the huge farewell/greatest hits tour which I reckon will be towards the end of this next decade, the only way to go will be stadiums, and I imagine that would mean dusting off the claw again with a new stage show.

I mean can you imagine U2 retiring from live performance in any other guise than a stadium show?? We are literally in uncharted territory with this band and I personally look forward intensely to the next 10 years of following them
:up:

I think this may be the last huge stadium tour for U2 for a while at least. With the Claw set-up they have pretty much painted themselves (and other bands!) into a corner with regard to where they can go stadium show-wise. However, I have no doubt that when they decide to the huge farewell/greatest hits tour which I reckon will be towards the end of this next decade, the only way to go will be stadiums, and I imagine that would mean dusting off the claw again with a new stage show.

I mean can you imagine U2 retiring from live performance in any other guise than a stadium show?? We are literally in uncharted territory with this band and I personally look forward intensely to the next 10 years of following them

Yeah, I definitely expect their last tour to be stadiums, give them a decade of arenas to dream of ways to perfect the farewell spectacle. Perhaps that hideous photoshop of all their stages together?? :hyper:

Once you witnessed the claw setup live you think how the hell can they top this in the future? I would love to see it stay,maybe a variation of it...I really don't won't to go back to days of performing on a stage at one end of a stadium! (for U2 I mean) I think the band realises this and maybe why they were so keen to do another year of touring as they enjoyed it so much?

My only other gripe is the fact they are not playing the UK despite wembley2!

Anyone heard a official explanation for this? (ok they were going to play Glasto before the back surgery but thats not the same!)

Once you witnessed the claw setup live you think how the hell can they top this in the future? I would love to see it stay,maybe a variation of it...I really don't won't to go back to days of performing on a stage at one end of a stadium! (for U2 I mean) I think the band realises this and maybe why they were so keen to do another year of touring as they enjoyed it so much?

My only other gripe is the fact they are not playing the UK despite wembley2!

Anyone heard a official explanation for this? (ok they were going to play Glasto before the back surgery but thats not the same!)

The explanation is that they had a bit of a hard time selling tickets in the UK last year.

I'd rather see them tour continually, releasing a new album or even a EP with new songs. That way it's not 4-5 year between shows. I'd like to be able to go to a concert every two years.

I hate the time between tours.

The explanation is that they had a bit of a hard time selling tickets in the UK last year.

they sold 650,000 tickets in 6 hours in the UK including ireland last year, maybe they felt they exhausted the market. there was that rumor of them playing the new stadium in dublin though, maybe they will make another small UK appearance next year after the US who knows.

It is quite telling that they have dropped Breathe, NLOTH and UC, and have not added anything else from the album into the setlist. I figured SUC was a shoe-in. Seems as though they've forgotten the album already. Achtung Baby was released in NOV 91, and in DEC 93 they were still playing 8 songs from the album in each show. This is no longer a tour in support of the album No Line on the Horizon. There is no precedence for what is happening right now.

I agree. I wish they had added Stand Up Comedy and FEZ-Being Born to the setlist. It seems unlikely on this current leg of the tour. Maybe for the U.S. shows next year a song or two from NLOTH will be added. I think any songs that are added will be new songs they are working on, maybe even a song from the new Spiderman musical. I remember by the time the Vertigo Tour got to Hawaii they were playing four songs off of HTDAAB but that was towards the end of the tour and they added Saints and Window in the Skies.

You know, I'd guess that, since the Claw seems to be working so well, they'll keep that as a starting point for their next tour and add some constructional flourishes to make it a bit more "themed" to whatever album they're touring (by which I mean something along the lines of the Popmart arch/lemon, Elevation's "heart bridge," the Zoo TV Trabants, ect.)

hmmm... if they really tour 4 years, that could mean a disappointment for me. Since I don't believe they will come back to Netherlands in 2011 or 2012, and since they will wait probably another 2 years before touring again, that could mean a Dutch concert in 2015 or later...and at least 6 in stead of the regular 4 years between visits.

Great that they play new songs on road now!!! Amazing must that have been for the people who attended...

Disappointing they dropped 3 (!!) songs from NLOTH ! ... Let's hope they will not treat this album as they did with POP...

Back
Top Bottom