LP 13: See you next Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lack of anything U2 related got me just watching Kasabian's iTunes Festival gig. Brilliant! It's amazing how they take the audience. Hit after hit after hit and it drives everybody just bonkers in the crowd. I recommend to watch it.

To me, ATYCLB is the third best U2 record.

No Line is in the top five or six. MOS, album-version, is over-produced. Magnificent is good. The RAC mix is fantastic. Boots is an average tune. And the lyrics re dreadful.

Bomb aims lower and hits its target better. But it does feel more like a collection of songs rather than a unified whole. No Line tries some new things lyrically and with a thematic arc of sorts, and tries more things sonically, but it's all torpedoed in the middle by digressions that fall flat.

This captures it pretty much perfectly.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

To me, ATYCLB is the third best U2 record.

No Line is in the top five or six. MOS, album-version, is over-produced. Magnificent is good. The RAC mix is fantastic. Boots is an average tune. And the lyrics re dreadful.

MOS is probably one of the least produced effortlessly recorded tracks of the 2000s. I'm a little shocked by your understanding of the song. What feels over produced to you?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I don't see where the "bullshit" about No Line is. If anything, it seems like most of the responses the last couple pages have been praising it. :shrug:

Try having your favorite album of all time be All That You Can't Leave Behind, which seems to get nothing but trashed around here.

I don't understand the hate for. ATYCLB. I think its a phenomenal album. Probably their 4th best behind JT, AB, and Zooropa.

Lack of anything U2 related got me just watching Kasabian's iTunes Festival gig. Brilliant! It's amazing how they take the audience. Hit after hit after hit and it drives everybody just bonkers in the crowd. I recommend to watch it.

I bloody love kasabian,seen them live loads of times,starting from their first single release.

I started watching the itunes gig and i only watched clubfoot at the start and the crowd looked shit. People were just standing around,does the crowd get better?

I don't understand the hate for. ATYCLB. I think its a phenomenal album. Probably their 4th best behind JT, AB, and Zooropa.

Too much crap like Wild honey, IALW and Grace.

I love WILATW to pieces, but it's not enough to save the album for me. Ranks somewhere in the middle at most.

I don't understand the hate for. ATYCLB. I think its a phenomenal album.

It comes off as an apology album, to me; like "Oh, you didn't like us doing something risky, artistic and full-on rocking? Alright, we'll give you something more bubble-gum, mellow and down-to-Earth."

That being said, it is still a very unique record and better than all the other pop-music of its time. Most of it is phenomenal, but something happened between POP and ATYCLB; where the band felt like they could no longer keep the line blurred between making the music they wanted to make and making a commercial success "hits" album. They're still working on keeping that line well-defined today (with all the God walking into the room and relevancy talk) and trying way too hard not to cross back over into experimental territory; at least not without keeping themselves on a leash (like on NLOTH). That's why I think it takes them so freakin' long to commit to releasing an album, anymore. They love being number one. Making music just for the hell of it takes a backseat ever since ATYCLB. The fact that it was such a huge success validated them in that feeling and I don't think they'll ever return to just tooling around and writing the music they're in the mood to write at a given moment because of it. That's the only reason my feelings for the record are sour; far from my least favorite U2 album though.

It comes off as an apology album, to me; like "Oh, you didn't like us doing something risky, artistic and full-on rocking? Alright, we'll give you something more bubble-gum, mellow and down-to-Earth."

That being said, it is still a very unique record and better than all the other pop-music of its time. Most of it is phenomenal, but something happened between POP and ATYCLB; where the band felt like they could no longer keep the line blurred between making the music they wanted to make and making a commercial success "hits" album. They're still working on keeping that line well-defined today (with all the God walking into the room and relevancy talk) and trying way too hard not to cross back over into experimental territory; at least not without keeping themselves on a leash (like on NLOTH). That's why I think it takes them so freakin' long to commit to releasing an album, anymore. They love being number one. Making music just for the hell of it takes a backseat ever since ATYCLB. The fact that it was such a huge success validated them in that feeling and I don't think they'll ever return to just tooling around and writing the music they're in the mood to write at a given moment because of it. That's the only reason my feelings for the record are sour; far from my least favorite U2 album though.

OK I'll bite.

How, exactly, do you know that All That You Can't Leave Behind isn't the album they wanted to make?

You know what, never mind.

Atyclb will always have a special place in my heart cause it was the first u2 album i got into but when i listen back to it now it does have a weak ending

Beautiful day,stuck,elevation,walk on and kite is a superb 5 song combo but then the album falls away abit

I like ialw,new york and ground beneath her feet but wild honey,peace on earth and wilatw arent that good at all

Grace dont get me started on grace. I hate that song. One of the worst u2 songs ever

I love ATYCLB in places. However, it strives so hard for emotional resonance that it makes itself a bit of a chore as an album - i.e. listening to it all the way through is something I rarely feel a need to do. In some places, that emotion works - I see Stuck in a Moment and Kite as examples - but in other places, like Walk On, it just seems forced.

A Man and a Woman has the most powerful, more confident vocal delivery since Achtung Baby.
City of Blinding Light its their biggest stadium anthem since One.
Vertigo stand unique in U2s catalog.
And can we remember how brilliant simple and gorgeous Original of the Species sounded when it was a demo?
All Because of You is little rocker absent from both Behind and No Line. And with a Bono scream and a solo!
Miracle Drug and Love and Peace are so close of greatness.
Its just a shame that Sometimes is so boring...
I think that with a better production, Bomb would be closer to be considered a real classic album.

Then of course came Steve and Yaweh...

I don't mind the weak 2nd half of ATYCLB due to all of the good music we got from U2 between 2000 and 2002. If you throw in The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Stateless, Always, Summer Rain, Electrical Storm, The Hands that Built America, and Levitate, you've got a pretty great album.

I tend to think of bands in terms of eras instead of specific albums. I will always think 2000 - 2004 U2 had some pretty great stuff. Since 2005, I have been a little disappointed. I wasn't happy with Window in the Skies or The Saints Are Coming. Then we had a long wait until NLOTH, which I wasn't a big fan of. I get the weak 2nd half of ATYCLB argument, but look at all the other stuff we got around that time. It was my favorite time to be a U2 fan from 2000 to 2004.

I think bomb is a better album myself. Just looked at the tracklisting and
Vertigo,miarcle drug,sycmioyo,love and peace,city of blinding lights and all beacause of you i like alot

Ofts,crumbs and fast cars are good tracks. Yahweh is alright

Man and a woman and one step closer are pants

If i were to make one album out of the two id go for

1 beautiful day
2 stuck in a moment
3 elevation
4 miarcle drug
5 kite
6 sycmioyo
7 city of blinding lights
8 ground beneath her feet
9 love and peace
10 orginal of the species
11 all beacuase of you
12 walk on

I don't mind the weak 2nd half of ATYCLB due to all of the good music we got from U2 between 2000 and 2002. If you throw in The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Stateless, Always, Summer Rain, Electrical Storm, The Hands that Built America, and Levitate, you've got a pretty great album.

I tend to think of bands in terms of eras instead of specific albums. I will always think 2000 - 2004 U2 had some pretty great stuff. Since 2005, I have been a little disappointed. I wasn't happy with Window in the Skies or The Saints Are Coming. Then we had a long wait until NLOTH, which I wasn't a big fan of. I get the weak 2nd half of ATYCLB argument, but look at all the other stuff we got around that time. It was my favorite time to be a U2 fan from 2000 to 2004.

:up:

If only they had done that, Always is utterly brilliant. Stateless :drool:. Summer Rain so effortless. Ground and Electric Storm with edge solo in the chorus. Throw away New York, Peace on Earth(urgh), Wild Honey, and boom! Classic 1 from 2000's.

Throw in Smile at the end of Bomb instead of Yaweh(uurghh)...boom! Classic album number 2 from the 2000's.

Glad I'm not the only one. I've never had a problem with ATYCLB, other than Grace and Peace on Earth.

Seriusly, Peace on Earth is one of the most hateful songs from any band.

Every time I listen to Always and remember that Peace on Earth (or New York) is on ATYCLB and that isn't, I almost cry, literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom