Loving yourself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

girlhappy

War Child
I was thinking recently about love to yourself. How important it is.,
it is really important to be your best friend. I was in love in someone who let me down, but now i felt free(like that u2 song from AB outakes). You know, DO YOU REALLY FEEL LOVED?But not by anyone else. Can you feel the love for your body, head, soul, spirit, essence of you. I sometimes do, but i feel more like, i am pure and innocent and that is my beauty. Apart from that (moral part) i dont feel pretty , i dont feel accepted by men, i dont feel like i am woman strong enough or weak enough to be attractive.I am just that mixture of woman- child and dont feel like i am like self-sufficient. Do you think is that possible to accomplish?
You can see how complicate i am far from here):

I certainly do understand what you are going thru girlhappy...I feel some of the same things you do , and I can tell you that there are lots of women out there that have these feelings of doubt and uncertainty...I know that the first step in overcomming these feeling, are to reflect on what made you have them in the first place....Was it the break up...or was it somthing before that?

I've never understood how a person can love him or herself. That's not to knock anybody who feels that they do...I just personally don't understand it.

I think you can learn to accept yourself which can be a form of love. I personally don't think you can have true happiness until you learn to accept yourself. I think the road to hell is paved w/ needing to get your self esteem from others. I've lived that way, and of course I still do lapse into it frequently. Insecurity is a bitch.

Especially women, we have to love ourselves independently of what issues we have w/ men.

I think you can love yourself in a humble way as opposed to an arrogant way.

I don't know if what I've arrived at would be considered "love", but I have certainly reached a point where I feel just as strongly about my good points as do about my bad ones. And, if I'm really honest about it, my good points actually outweigh the bad.

I think where we go wrong (particularly us ladies), is that we allow what we hate about ourselves to consume us. We're positive that it glares out to others like a lighthouse. Truth is - that's not usually the case. I have conversations with people younger than me, my peers, even folks older than me & was told how confident I appear to them. Meanwhile, I'm thinking WTF??? :confused: You think I'm confident?!?!? :ohmy: :lol:

It's taken many years & much "cheerleading" from my biggest supporter (Mr. Blu), but on most days, I can look at myself and realize that while they are things about me that I should & CAN change, there's plenty about me that's just right.

You've got to find that happy balance, because as cliche as it sounds, if you don't think enough of yourself to see the valuable person you are, why should anyone else? :shrug:

I know from personal experience that if you start doubting yourself, you can open a whole big can of worms. My need for reassurance of my worth from sources other than myself almost led me into a Hell of a mess back in the winter. And I'm talking a-screwing-up-my-13-yr-old-marriage type of mess! :shocked: Luckily, with a little counseling, I got myself back on track & no one was hurt. But it was an eye-opening experience, to say the least.

:reject: Don't mean to take over your thread, girlhappy. :no: I just haven't spoken about that incident in over 6 months & once I started "confession" it was very therapuetic. :)

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
I think you can learn to accept yourself which can be a form of love. I personally don't think you can have true happiness until you learn to accept yourself. I think the road to hell is paved w/ needing to get your self esteem from others. I've lived that way, and of course I still do lapse into it frequently. Insecurity is a bitch.

Especially women, we have to love ourselves independently of what issues we have w/ men.

I think you can love yourself in a humble way as opposed to an arrogant way.

You just summed up my whole point soooo much more succintly than I was able to - thank you!! :up: :wink:

BluRmGrl said:
I think where we go wrong (particularly us ladies), is that we allow what we hate about ourselves to consume us. We're positive that it glares out to others like a lighthouse. Truth is - that's not usually the case. I have conversations with people younger than me, my peers, even folks older than me & was told how confident I appear to them. Meanwhile, I'm thinking WTF??? :confused: You think I'm confident?!?!? :ohmy: :lol:

YES. I've been through that exact same thing. There's things about me that I tend to be doubtful of, and then I see people out there complimenting me and saying I'm good at something or there's an aspect of my personality they like, and I've had the same kind of reaction as you. I'm flattered by their compliments, yes, and it certainly helps me feel better, but it's just like you said, I thought my faults were blatantly obvious, but to some people, they aren't.

Which is nice to know, actually.

Angela

I know you should love yourself, but I'm not very good at it. There's too many days where I wish I could file for divorce from myself.

Melon

BluRmGrl said:
I don't know if what I've arrived at would be considered "love", but I have certainly reached a point where I feel just as strongly about my good points as do about my bad ones. And, if I'm really honest about it, my good points actually outweigh the bad.

It's taken many years & much "cheerleading" from my biggest supporter (Mr. Blu), but on most days, I can look at myself and realize that while they are things about me that I should & CAN change, there's plenty about me that's just right.

You've got to find that happy balance, because as cliche as it sounds, if you don't think enough of yourself to see the valuable person you are, why should anyone else? :shrug:

I know from personal experience that if you start doubting yourself, you can open a whole big can of worms. My need for reassurance of my worth from sources other than myself almost led me into a Hell of a mess back in the winter. And I'm talking a-screwing-up-my-13-yr-old-marriage type of mess! :shocked: Luckily, with a little counseling, I got myself back on track & no one was hurt. But it was an eye-opening experience, to say the least.

:reject: Don't mean to take over your thread, girlhappy. :no: I just haven't spoken about that incident in over 6 months & once I started "confession" it was very therapuetic. :)

Great post :up:
LOL and :recognizemyself: on the "you think i'm confident"-part.
We have them all fooled, girl :lol:

melon said:
I know you should love yourself, but I'm not very good at it. There's too many days where I wish I could file for divorce from myself.

Melon

i wish i could do the same.

melon said:

Melon

Dang boy, how are you gonna pull that one off (the divorce) - how on earth did you manage to get married in the first place, gay marriage not being legal and all that.

;)

thanks for the mail! reply soon

the soul waits said:

Great post :up:
LOL and :recognizemyself: on the "you think i'm confident"-part.
We have them all fooled, girl :lol:

I do think you´re confident! -but really probably you´re stronger than me lol

however, you have every reason to be confident..

Re: thanks for the mail! reply soon

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

I do think you´re confident! -but really probably you´re stronger than me lol

however, you have every reason to be confident..

See, I've got you fooled :lol:

Seriously, what makes you think I'm stronger than you?

Re: Re: thanks for the mail! reply soon

the soul waits said:

See, I've got you fooled :lol:

Seriously, what makes you think I'm stronger than you?

the training, physically :D

wanna compare *shows bizeps* :wink:

the soul waits said:
:flirt: I'm a fitness girly, not a body-builder :flirt:

I hope your bizzeps are bigger than mine...

A fitness girly! Wow that sounds gorgeous..

*plays dancing queen by ABBA and does some aerobic* :sexywink:

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

A fitness girly! Wow that sounds gorgeous..

*plays dancing queen by ABBA and does some aerobic* :sexywink:

:lol:
Don't forget Jane Fonda.

But as I said previously : the fitness competitions are one the backburner for now since I'm venturing into business and have a hobby of rocking out during the weekends :rockon:

the soul waits said:

:lol:
Don't forget Jane Fonda.

But as I said previously : the fitness competitions are one the backburner for now since I'm venturing into business and have a hobby of rocking out during the weekends :rockon:

Did u see the movie Barbarella... :eyebrow: :) :rockon:

... I like myself.

No doubt I come off as conceited and arrogant at times....
But I can tolerate myself. I'm honest with myself, and I always strive for complete sincerity with myself. I dislike... trying to over look things, but there is always room for improvement.

I don't get how people "can't live with themselves". But I do understand how one can love oneself. We all make mistakes, and all mistakes can be improved upon. But everyone is human, and I know some people who have a hard time accepting that. Oddly enough, the people I know who have a hard time accepting that, like my father, are really in denial of a lot of things...

(but that's just one case, really, in regards to my dad, and not a general statement)

I'm like a celebrity. I need forms of adoration coming in from all sides to get up and enjoy the day. It's not fair to other people around me, because if I don't get that adoration pump, then I tend to drag through the day with an unbelievably short temper, wired to explode at any minute. I am a highly volatile person. When I love, it's 100%, and when I hate it's 100%.

I like that I'm so crazy at times and I can always be myself. I don't try to make myself as a ficticious person and try to be someone I'm not. I live in a half million dollar home and own a brand new Escalade, but I'm not all about the expensive clothes and shit, and I'm not about to turn my nose up at anything.
I like myself the way it is, although I would like to change what I can surgically.
But loving myself...I don't know. :eyebrow:

The movie opens with a tasteful zero-gravity striptease by Fonda in a spaceship with yellow plush walls.

The story involves Barbarella (Jane Fonda) whose command is (authorized by the Earth´s President in the year 40,000something) to go to the planet Lythonia to bring back Earth scientist Duran Duran from an evil queen. Duran invented something called the positronic ray which erases people and puts them into the fourth dimension never to be seen again. Barbarella is drafted for this job, because she is the best astronavigatrex there is and because the presidential band is busy. What follows are her sexy misadventures.

First there´s a heinous doll attack on Barbarella. See, she crash lands on this ice world and these two little brats show up and hit her in the face with a loaded snowball. Then the dolls attack with metal teeth and their mouths go up and down and scary music plays as the begin their horrific assault. A pair of fishnet stockings is ruined by all these tiny teeth marks in the process.

Finally the doll attack subsides and half-naked Barbarella is rescued by a real hairy guy in fur who she rewards by screwing in the old fashioned way. You see, in the 40th millenium they use pills and touch hands instead of bumping around. Of course, Barbarella enjoys it and spends the rest of the movie trying to get more of it.

Along the way she shags several life forms including a blind angel who learns to fly through the joy of sex. On the planet of Duran she meets various weirdos: a genius-professor, the evil queen who´s actually imprisoned by Duran (who took the power after a coup d´état), and last but not least a sweet young revolutionary who never had sex (sure enough Barbarella´s got some pills left). Later she gets strapped onto a machine that will make her die of pleasure by Duran. However, she can escape and finally Barbarella and the evil queen find their way to a happy ending.

Its a cult B-film.. great music, great clothes, I love that kind of flics.

The quote "Did you see the movie Barbarella" is out of a music video film by Prince & The New Power Generation (somewhere just after "Sexy M.F." he´s in that cinema with a girl and asks her that question).

joerags said:
I can't ever love myself because I have no self esteem and I am a total loser. I hate looking at myself in the mirror.

You are most definitely not a loser. :hug:

I mean, you like U2, right?? So...there ya go! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom