Lottery: Diehards not excited enough, therefore lottery in effect!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gabrielvox said:

:lol:

are you kidding me??? Why, because you didnt get in??

I love ya and all but damn girl, you've been extremely blessed this tour, ya got nothing to worry about :)

dude she is completely clueless. she "works" for about 5 minutes of the day and is usually drunk.

in vegas she actually announced to the crowd that they could get into "the giant asshole they like to call the ellipse."

she is incompotent and an embarrassment to a great band like U2.

Miroslava said:

Gabe honey, you have no idea as to why I said, so I actually take offense that you would believe that is WHY I made that comment.... :|

ok i retract im sorry...you are right...read my other post im gettin a bit hot about all this kid talk....again, my apologies

:hug:

Chizip said:

dude she is completely clueless. she "works" for about 5 minutes of the day and is usually drunk.

in vegas she actually announced to the crowd that they could get into "the giant asshole they like to call the ellipse."

she is incompotent and an embarrassment to a great band like U2.

Sorry man, I think I have seen a bit more of her in action than you have. I'll leave it at that.

gabrielvox said:

Sorry man, I think I have seen a bit more of her in action than you have. I'll leave it at that.

At the opening show in San Diego she doesn't announce that there is even a lottery system until 9 or 10 am the fucking day of the show after people had camped out all night. This is something that should have been announced even before tickets went on sale so people knew what they were getting into.

At San Diego 2 they didn't know whether or not to split the lines. They went back and forth 4 or 5 times trying to decide. I'm sorry, but this is something you should have figured out long before the second show of the tour. They were making up rules as the day of a show went on. Completely jerked the fans back and forth.

In Chicago I helped run the line for one of the shows. The venue security had no idea how things were supposed to work because Alison had not communicated anything to them. It was totally up to the fans to run and split the lines and check to make sure everyone was where they needed to be. Everything she should have been doing. Then when she came outside for her 5 minutes we try to ask her a question to clarify something, and she completely blows off the fans.

The next day we decide not to do her job for her, and don't run the line. Naturally, it turns into chaos. She comes up with her blow horn and says "the U2 people didn't do their job." I'm sorry, but she is blaming us for not doing her job for her? Complete bullshit. The fans should not be forced to split the lines by themselves in the first place.

The general manager of the building in Chicago talked to us and told us about how clueless she is. He said all she does before the show is tip back the martinis. Then she stumbles out drunk and does what she does.

Trust me, I have seen plenty of her in action, and none of it has been good.

Last edited:
Chizip said:

how did the elevation system give any fans preference?

first come, first serve gives everyone an equal shot

There is no ideal system but first come first serve is not giving equal shots to everyone.

U2girl said:

There is no ideal system but first come first serve is not giving equal shots to everyone.

Ok please explain how a first come, first serve policy doesnt give everyone an equal shot. This should be good.

U2girl said:
Self explanatory, really.

Sorry, but I'm an idiot. Please explain it to me.

ah i see you edited. doesn't everyone have the same shot to be first?

first come first serve does in fact give everyone an equal shot.

i know, i know... there are those who say "why should i be punished when i have to work?"

but what about those who sacraficed a vacation day or a sick day in order to make sure that they were able to wait outside all day? if there's a will, there's a way. and if you can't make a way, then you give up your primo spot to someone who can make a way.

:shrug: i dunno... i personally don't have a problem with the lottery in theory. it still gives those who wait all day a great spot, either in the ellipse or outside on the rail. that said, it would have made things a hell of a lot easier on everyone if they just made their policies crystal clear before the tour began.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
that said, it would have made things a hell of a lot easier on everyone if they just made their policies crystal clear before the tour began.

it would be a hell of a lot easier if the policies were consistent from venue to venue. the way they handle the line is terrible inconsistent between venues, and it just frustrates and confuses people.

but you're missing the point... it gives everyone the chance to be the first one.

Not to be hyper technical, but that's in theory. We all know that wasn't entirely the case for the Elevation Tour, when the line nazi's ruled the coop.

MTEdge said:

Not to be hyper technical, but that's in theory. We all know that wasn't entirely the case for the Elevation Tour, when the line nazi's ruled the coop.

I think that stuff was overblown. Besides, how does the lottery prevent the same people from doing the same things at the front of the line?

Chizip said:

At the opening show in San Diego....

At San Diego 2 ....

In Chicago I helped run the line for one of the shows.....

The next day we decide not to do her job for her, and don't run the line....

Sounds like 2 shows at the start where noone, including the band, knew what the hell they were doing, and 2 others where the building manager didnt get laid the night before.

:lol:

Sorry dude, I've seen alot more than that.

Chizip said:

Sorry, but I'm an idiot. Please explain it to me.

ah i see you edited. doesn't everyone have the same shot to be first?

How so? The system merely rewards those who camp out and, as suggested in its very name, arrive first.

What about the others?

it gives everyone an equal chance to line up first.

People with day off vs people who work on the day of the show - you just brought this up on the previous page.
People living in the city of the show vs people travelling in.
People at the U2 show whose priority isn't camping out but are just as "real fans" as those who do camp out.

How can they have equal chances?

Last edited:

it gives everyone an equal chance to line up first.

the lottery is supposed to give everyone an equal chance as well... it doesn't work as well though.

Hmm...I have mixed feelings about that. Im one of the die hards that used to be willing to line up first. Then I saw other die hards mining the fan sites for info, and showing up even before us other die hards to beat us to the punch. The lineups start earlier and earlier now, to the point where even the average fan who decides to take the day off work and camp out has little chance of being in the top 100. And the people in the top 20 are the same at every show..because they are there 48 hrs before a show :lol:

so, in short, even with the lottery system, its become quite ridiculous...the lottery system actually works so that those same 20 crazies dont end up at the front of the ellipse every show with their annoying signs...like:

"Me + Guitar = Wild Horses"
"Me + Guitar = Any U2 song"
"I sing U2 pick me"
"Is it my turn to play?"

etc etc

:wink:

(note: the above annoying signs are the ones I have made :lol: )

Chizip said:

I think that stuff was overblown. Besides, how does the lottery prevent the same people from doing the same things at the front of the line?

I am not so sure that it was overblown. Heck, we've got multiple independent pieces of evidence indicating that U2 (or PM) was fed up with having the same people in the heart for every show.

As to your question about the lottery, the line nazi's no longer control their fate. The lottery decides who are the have's and the have not's (i.e., who gets into the ellipse). So while they may be able to manipulate the line to get into the line sooner, they no longer could manipulate the line to get into the ellipse (the ultimate prize).

MTEdge said:

I am not so sure that it was overblown. Heck, we've got multiple independent pieces of evidence indicating that U2 (or PM) was fed up with having the same people in the heart for every show.

As to your question about the lottery, the line nazi's no longer control their fate. The lottery decides who are the have's and the have not's (i.e., who gets into the ellipse). So while they may be able to manipulate the line to get into the line sooner, they no longer could manipulate the line to get into the ellipse (the ultimate prize).

Just because the same people showed up to a lot of shows doesn't necessarily mean they were being shady. Maybe they just all showed up really early all of the time.

The lini nazis have more power now because the "premium" sports are significantly reduced. There are about 75 guaranteed spots along the outside rail, so trying to get within the top 75 people in line is huge, to guarantee yourself at least the rail.

For the Elevation Tour, the top 300 people got inside the ellipse, then another 75-100 outside of the heart. If there was some shady business going on up front it wasn't as big a deal because so many more people could guaranteethemselves a great spot by being within the first 400.

But now you have to be within the first 75 to guarantee a great spot, so any shady buisiness going on at the front means a lot more.

Chizip said:

For the Elevation Tour, the top 300 people got inside the ellipse, then another 75-100 outside of the heart. If there was some shady business going on up front it wasn't as big a deal because so many more people could guaranteethemselves a great spot by being within the first 400.

But now you have to be within the first 75 to guarantee a great spot, so any shady buisiness going on at the front means a lot more.

That actually is a very good point. Because also during the Elevation tour, not everyone who was in the first 300 wanted to go into the heart, I saw people sometimes pick to go in the heart and sometimes pick to go to the rail.

:hmm:

Having no experience with Elevation GA lines, I have no room to talk about what went on there at all.

As for Vertigo tour lines.

I can vouch that for the ones I have helped run have not had any shady business. If anything, I have developed a reputation for being kind of a strict ass... Which is fine by me. I much rather be known as a strict ass than the alternative.

The ones I have just been a general participant on have been pretty ok. I always try to keep track of the number of people in front of me vs. the number issued. There has just been one time when I felt the number assigned to me was waaaaaaaaaaaay too high for the number of people standing in line and believe you me, I said something about it. However, that had nothing to do with the "line enforcer" as much as with people getting a number and then knowing better but still dissapearing for hours on end to go sleep in their nice comfy hotel beds.

Again, the top 75-90 spots are PRIME and there is just no room for shady business as far as I am concerned. :angry:

Nothing worse than line cutters who'd show up minutes before the gates open and get inside that "300-400" club because as long as they were in the right spot (the front of the line) they knew they'd be in the heart.

Back
Top Bottom