Lost—Season 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol, Guam!

I'm going to Guam in a few weeks. It's only a thirty minute flight from where I live. How often does Guam (or anywhere out here in the Pacific) get any TV time! Maybe on my next flight to back to the states via Guam I'll be sucked into the island's vortex! :hmmm: If I manage to escape the island, I'll fill you all in on what I learn! :D

Serioulsy though, I've been forced to watch Lost on youtube because CBS doesn't recognize Saipan as part of the U.S. (though they do recognize Guam). This week they swept it pretty clean because there was only one user who had the episode up and he missed part of the episode. I don't know what happened between the time Jack was talking to his grandfather and had just found his Dad's shoes and Hurley at the counter.

How much did I miss? And what happened? Did I miss anything important? What's this about Ben calling from a dock and Penny being killed?

Some are wondering if Ben went to carry out his promise to Widmore to kill Penny, as Widmore did Ben's daughter. When the group were at Hawking's Church getting all learned, Jack walked out to the pews a little while later to see Ben sitting there pretending to pray or something, and ben says something like he is going to see an old friend for something/take care of business (cannot remember the quote, but it's along these lines - which at the time made me think of Hannibal Lector "Having an old friend for lunch" :yikes: lol). Later, Ben calls Jack and he is at a pay phone on the water, at a marina or something (his mobile suddenly isn't working?), and is bleeding from wounds on his face, and he is genuinely in a flap. Seems he has taken care of that business? The only link to water we've all seen, beyond the island itself, is Penny's boat. If Ben knows he is heading back on a plane to Guam and the island, this was his only chance to sort Penny out, no?

And as for Guam, what the heck kind of business does Sayid have being extradited to Guam?

And with the time skips, are Sawyer and everyone as well as Jin, now back in Dharma/Kombie days, you think?

Some are wondering if Ben went to carry out his promise to Widmore to kill Penny, as Widmore did Ben's daughter. When the group were at Hawking's Church getting all learned, Jack walked out to the pews a little while later to see Ben sitting there pretending to pray or something, and ben says something like he is going to see an old friend for something/take care of business (cannot remember the quote, but it's along these lines - which at the time made me think of Hannibal Lector "Having an old friend for lunch" :yikes: lol). Later, Ben calls Jack and he is at a pay phone on the water, at a marina or something (his mobile suddenly isn't working?), and is bleeding from wounds on his face, and he is genuinely in a flap. Seems he has taken care of that business? The only link to water we've all seen, beyond the island itself, is Penny's boat. If Ben knows he is heading back on a plane to Guam and the island, this was his only chance to sort Penny out, no?

And as for Guam, what the heck kind of business does Sayid have being extradited to Guam?

And with the time skips, are Sawyer and everyone as well as Jin, now back in Dharma/Kombie days, you think?

Thanks for filling in the details, Angela. As for Guam, I don't know why Sayid would need to go there. One of our legislators wanted the U.S. to move "Gitmo" to Saipan, so maybe they were going to fly him over here. :lol:

One thing about the marina makes no sense though. Widmore tells Des in London where to find Ms. Hawking in LA. There's no way Penny and Des sail from London to LA in 3 days...he had to fly.

They've gotta be somewhere around there, no? If (and only if...and a big if, too) we are to assume that the time flashes stopped when Locke fixed the FDW and they are not set to resume, they're at least somewhere in the past. If not, then how are Jack and Kate going to wind up as the cave's Adam and Eve, in...what was it? 2005? 2006?

They've gotta be somewhere around there, no? If (and only if...and a big if, too) we are to assume that the time flashes stopped when Locke fixed the FDW and they are not set to resume, they're at least somewhere in the past. If not, then how are Jack and Kate going to wind up as the cave's Adam and Eve, in...what was it? 2005? 2006?

Jack and Kate as Adam and Eve is one theory. But another one is that Adam and Eve are two characters we haven't seen in quite a while—Rose and Bernard.

Remember, they all flashed back to 1954, and perhaps something happened to them during this time. Maybe they escaped to the cave. When Adam and Eve were first discovered in 2004, Jack said they must have been dead at least 50 years, so the timeline certainly fits.

I had forgotten about the Rose/Bernie theory. That would make sense, especially if Jack = Jacob, which seems reasonable, at this point. Ridiculous shit. Also, this was posted on ILX, along time ago. Somebody recently made reference to it, and I'd forgotten its briliance. So great:

Haha Daniel and Jin alone in the sea together would be hilarious, they just wouldn't be able to communicate with one another. Jin would look at Daniel earnestly and say in his best English "do you want fish?" and Dan would be staring right past him and going "well... fish is kind of an elastic concept at this point..."

Oh, and allow me to note that not a single person on the plane seemed to recognize the fact that the mo'fucker was filled with global celebrities. People be recognizing Jack all up and down Sunset, but once he's in an airport or on a plane, he just blends in? On a plane??? And Hurley was just in a high-speed, OJ-style pursuit...which was televised! Damn it. God damn it.

If any of you will just think back to last season when they finally got OFF the island

If I told you that a season later they will all decide to get on plane to Guam
and somehow (unknown to us) they will just wake up back on the island

all of you would have told me that would be the laziest, crappiest writing (un)imaginable
and the show would never sink to that low of a level.

If any of you will just think back to last season when they finally got OFF the island

If I told you that a season later they will all decide to get on plane to Guam
and somehow (unknown to us) they will just wake up back on the island

all of you would have told me that would be the laziest, crappiest writing (un)imaginable
and the show would never sink to that low of a level.

I would have, yes. And my mind hasn't changed. Dreadful episode.

...Although we did already know that they were going back. I still think that that, in itself, is beyond ridiculous, but whatever. It wouldn't've been a curve ball, or something.

Jesus, if the show sucks, pull a Lance and stop fucking watching. Who the keeps watching a show they think sucks, just to complain about it on a message board? Move on.

I'm going to repost this blog as it's an excellent source of Lost info. The blog's author, Bigmouth, explains his thoughts on the last episode, and while most of it is highly technical and scientific (and I understand very little of it) it's still is interesting to ponder.

EYE M SICK

Hm. All in all, I think that it was a good episode, tonight. My only (and sadly kind of major...but not deal-breaking!) complaints were that the narrative and dramatic momentum really ran out, near the end, and that, you know, Locke had no reason to kill himself. I was reminded of what I now call Prequel Syndrome--in Revenge of the Sith, there wasn't any reason, within the diegetic narrative, for Anakin Skywalker to turn to the dark side of the Force and become Darth Vader. The "reason" for his turn was, to the contrary, simply that he had to, because that's what the broader story demanded.

The question: "Why did Anakin turn to the dark side?"

The answer: "Because there has to be a Darth Vader, in the original Star Wars."

Tonight's Lost did not approach that level of poor plotting, but it still felt careless and somewhat underconsidered. I'm not trying to slam it, mind you--I'm just trying to draw parallels, even if they're not 100% accurate.

As for the "twists" at the end, they were nice and appreciated, but also way too heavily telegraphed. The drama got sucked out, because as soon as Ben got involved, it was all just too obvious. I think that a shorter and crisper sequence, while doing even less to convince (rather than show) us that Locke had reason to wanna die, would also have really upped the tension and surprise.

Either way, it was good. And I have absolutely no fucking idea what to make of whatever the fuck is going on, on the island. For the first time in ages, my head is somewhat spun! I like it.

P.S. Where do Hawking's allegiances lie...? She seems to be okay with aiding and abetting Ben, but at the same time seems to be on acceptable terms with Widmore. I am, as I said, "lost."

Not much commentary yet on tonight's episode, huh? I really enjoyed this one. I think Terry O'Quinn delivered some nice moments here, and the confrontation between Locke and Linus in the hotel room was especially intense.

"Eloise Hawking. Do you know her?"

"Yes, I know her....
Now I will strangle you to death! AHHHHHHH!"

Funny that you mention Star Wars, IYS, because the reveal of Locke with the cloak at the beginning was a total lift from the saga.

My main issue tonight: the only pieces of information Ben got between stopping Locke from killing himself and then doing the job himself were:

1. Jin is still alive
2. He's supposed to find Eloise

Neither of those items seem important enough to cause Ben's change of plan.

And is anyone starting to think that Widmore may be the good guy in this? If all he wanted to do was kill Locke, he certainly had the opportunity before, like when Locke was incapacitated with a compound fracture, maybe?

Both Ben and Widmore seem to have the safety of the island as their prime directive, but it is really difficult to tell who is in the "right", as it were.

My main issue tonight: the only pieces of information Ben got between stopping Locke from killing himself and then doing the job himself were:

1. Jin is still alive

Perhaps when Locke said he planned to keep his promise to Jin and not try and recruit Sun, that put Ben over the edge cause he knew she had to be lured back as well.

I'm pretty sure that Ben was killing him, either way. It's not like he's had too many qualms with doing so, in the recent past. He just had to get some information out of him, before closing the deal.

1. Jin is still alive

And is anyone starting to think that Widmore may be the good guy in this? If all he wanted to do was kill Locke, he certainly had the opportunity before, like when Locke was incapacitated with a compound fracture, maybe?

Both Ben and Widmore seem to have the safety of the island as their prime directive, but it is really difficult to tell who is in the "right", as it were.

I kind of wondered if the Jin reveal caused Ben to think that that would automatically cause Sun to want to go back - and he did say (I think it was him?) that Locke only needed to convince one to go, and the rest would follow.

I wondered if by killing Locke, Ben was just performing an act that was some sort of destiny. After all, both Alpert and Christian told Locke that he had to die to save the island. Of any of the island insiders, I trust Alpert to tell the truth most of all.

Interesting to note - on Lostpedia, there's an entry that talks about a line of thinking where if anyone says they're Canadian, they're lying. The passport that Widmore gave to Locke last night has his nationality listed as Canadian. Does that mean Widmore lied? (Disclaimer - I'm Canadian, and pretty honest :wink: )

Re: the whole Ben vs. Widmore, which one is good and which one is bad thing, last night certainly did seem to make that even more ambiguous. Ben was clearly evil, whereas Widmore seemed good and sincere. I still maintain that it's more complex than that, though, and I still have a feeling that Ben is the good one. Well, good in a relative sense, they're both bad, obviously, and willing to do very bad things to get what they want. But I think that last night, Widmore seemed a little too "good," and that it was misdirection on the part of the show to make us think that.

Which side is Hawking on? Or is she on any side?

That story was on AICN, and in the comments underneath I happened to see one titled: "Her Hobbit Hole must be lonely without Merry around."

It made me laugh.

Interesting to note - on Lostpedia, there's an entry that talks about a line of thinking where if anyone says they're Canadian, they're lying. The passport that Widmore gave to Locke last night has his nationality listed as Canadian. Does that mean Widmore lied? (Disclaimer - I'm Canadian, and pretty honest :wink: )

R

Not important, but interesting note. One mistake I did notice on that passport is that it was issued from 2007 - 2017. That's impossible as Canadian passports are only valid for 5 years. Any other Canadian passport that 'might' have a longer validity would be the maroon coloured passport, which are diplomatic. Somebody on that show wasn't doing their homework.

One other thing that is cool. The passport issuing office was Vancouver!

Back
Top Bottom