losing weight post-breakup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AttnKleinkind

The Fly
Hey everyone. So...three weeks ago my boyfriend and I broke up. We had been dating for two and a half years, and I have never loved anyone so deeply...so it is an understatement to say that I am devastated. I have been trying to keep busy and whatnot, but every day is harder. When I am stressed, I sometimes have trouble eating. This happened with the last breakup I went through, where I lost 15-20 pounds in a month (I also had tuberculosis at this time, so that may have contributed to that). I’m already pretty thin, usually weighing 135-140 lbs and I am 5’ 10, so the weight loss really showed; my hips and collar bones were showing quite a bit. I didn’t really gain all of the weight back after my last breakup, as I used to weigh more around 145-150, so now I am starting at an even lower point, and I’m worried about losing a lot of weight this time around.

The first week after this most recent breakup I couldn’t really eat at all. I could sometimes handle granola bars, but mostly just had meal replacement drinks. I had a bowl of soup and a tiny bit of pasta toward the end of the week, but that’s it. I was okay for the following two weeks in terms of eating, so I hoped that I wouldn’t lose a ton of weight, but I’ve just recently lost my appetite again and have had trouble eating the past two days. I weighed myself and I’ve lost about 5 lbs so far, but I really, really don’t want to go any lower than that. Already my hips are jutting out and my pants are very loose. I want to stay healthy, and I want to feel good about my body. I guess I’m just wondering if there are any foods I could eat that aren’t too heavy but also help against weight loss, or if there is a way for me to get past this loss of appetite (I don’t know how much of a mental thing it is, but if I try and eat, I feel nauseous, and almost gag), or if there is anything I can do to try and stay healthy.

I would really appreciate any input! Thanks!

I'm sorry you're feeling so crappy. I've been in a similar situation once before, where I was so upset that I could barely eat for ... oh, maybe a month. I was never in a position where I started to worry, although it sucked because I love to eat, and I couldn't even indulge in some comfort foods to soothe my soul!

The difference was, by the time I came out of my funk a bit and gained my appetite back, I was well pleased with the results and called it the fantastic post-breakup diet! :lol: But I'm short and was able to easily spare the few extra pounds I'd shed.

You may just have to experiment to find out what foods your body can handle, and make them as filling as possible. Can you handle something like a smoothie? Maybe throw some protein in there. Or oatmeal? Those are things that worked for me.

This is all entirely unscientific, by the way. I'm no dietitian, but in my experience, it was just trial and error until I found my footing again. I don't know at what point I would say "Hey, maybe you should go to your doctor," but just keep that in the back of your head as well.

Take care of yourself as best you can, and go easy on yourself - it will get better. :)

I am so sorry to hear that. I also have problems eating when I'm stressed.

Two years ago my boyfriend was in hospital because he had a tumor in his spine. After the surgery the whole process of regaining strength and revalidation started. He was partially paralyzed, so the question was if he would recover and in what extent.
It was a very stessful period for us and I lost a lot of weight then, because I couldn't eat! (Normally I eat lots, especially during cold winters)

I kind of forced myself to eat back then; I made a scedule for myself to eat four or five small meals a day. The trick is also to eat as healthy as possible combined with 'greasy' foods, for example salad with dressing combined with raw herring. The herring contains a lot of fats and fish has a light texture. The salad provides you vitamins (so it's not hamburgers and salad, that'll be too heavy on the stomach!).

In the mornings and later in the afternoons I had sandwiches with meat or cheese, for the carbs and the fats. In the evening I had a couple of bowls of fresh soup, again for the vitamins, meat, salts and moist. It is good to have some (a couple of tablespoons wil do already) vanilla or chocolate mousse for desert, it is also light and it will provide you with sugar.

I hope you'll be fine soon! Take care of yourself!:hug:

Smaller, more frequent meals sound like a good idea. Maybe consider taking some vitamins too if you think you're not getting enough via food intake. Would eating with other people help at all? Maybe some relaxing company in a lovely environment could help. I also find exercise helps with my appetite - particularly swimming - and it helps to reduce stress as well so has a number of benefits.

Is really difficult to adjust after a break up or loss of someone close. Is good that you are being mindful of your nutrition. I imagine once the underlying cause eases, your appetite will return. Be gentle and kind to yourself and try to do things that nurture you both physically and emotionally. :hug:

Awwww Yeah when me and my ex broke up I lost at lease 4 pounds, then went on a 3 day drinking binge. I don't recommend doing that. For me to lose 4 pounds is nasty tho I'm like 4'11 and I weigh 95-98 pounds depending on the day.

I've honestly gone through men like i change my socks just trying to fill the void Jeremy left. If you can, spend lots of time with friends and work a lot. I've just met someone who i think is going to give me what i need but it takes time..... I didn't realize how dumb i was to try and get my ex back just to try and fill my heart. And i trusted some guys who the stupidest of girls wouldn't trust.... try not to go off the handle but have fun!!! Go out to the bar with girl friends, rent some movies, eat tons of ice cream, go for a message, get your nails done. Treat your self. You don't need a man to make it happen but i understand when you find someone who is your lover and your best friend it's hard to go through. :hug::hug::hug::heart::heart::hug::hug:

The first week after this most recent breakup I couldn’t really eat at all.......I’ve just recently lost my appetite again and have had trouble eating the past two days. I
I lost 17.2 kg (~38 pounds), last summer. I had severe jaundice followed by a serious throat infection. Only thing i could swallow was soup. That's really wicked when you're trying to recover from jaundice. At that time, losing my appetite would've been a blessing. It sucks when you want to eat, but can't.

I can relate because I lost a couple of pounds from the "broken-heart diet" last month when a guy ditched me to go after a a young, chick.

Back
Top Bottom