Light My Fire: Chapter 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamOutLoud13

Blue Crack Addict
I should've posted this a couple of days ago :uhoh: But my life has just been so busy, and so wonderful *dreamy sigh* that I haven't had the chance. My life is almost emulating the sweetness of this fic... just not with Adam Clayton, unfortunately :lol:

Anyway, off with the horns, on with the fic:

---------

Adam was following Heather’s lead, literally. She had him by the hand and was leading him up the stairs of her building. The two of them had remained surprisingly chaste with one another during the cab ride here. They hadn’t even kissed once. Adam was a little annoyed with himself for being surprised at that. Yes, she had invited him home with her, but that didn’t necessarily mean anything. It certainly didn’t mean she would be making out with him in the cab.

They stopped in front of Heather’s door on the third floor. Heather fished her key out of her purse but hesitated before slipping it into the lock. She turned back toward him, looking both nervous and unsure. “I...” She paused. “Why don’t we go up to the roof instead?”

“The roof?” It wasn’t exactly what he was expecting.

“The view isn’t much, the building’s only nine stories, after all, but it’s lovely on nights like this.”

“You’re lovely every night.” He said, smiling.

Heather blushed and hit at him playfully with her purse. “Shut up, you’ve only known me for two nights.”

“True, but the averages are good so far.”

Heather laughed and took him by the hand again. “Come on.”
Adam followed Heather all the way up to the top of the building, where a heavy steel door separated them from the roof. This she swung open with a bit of effort, allowing the cool evening breeze to wash over them in the narrow stairwell. They stepped out, and while Heather positioned a brick in the doorway to keep the door, which did not open from the outside, from closing on them, Adam moved out onto the roof and looked around.

Heather’s building was surrounded on all sides by similarly sized buildings, but beyond those rose taller buildings, and in the south, in the direction of the city’s expansive downtown, were skyscrapers. Rather than causing a sort of claustrophobia, the entire effect was breathtaking. It gave the ethereal sense of being surrounded by false, golden starlight.

“Wow. It is lovely up here.”

“Told ya. Come here.” Heather’s voice came from behind him, and he turned toward her. The silvery light of urban evenings lay over her like silk. She was smiling warmly at him, and she was beautiful. Adam stepped over at her slowly, wanting only to look at her a little longer. When he reached her, she put her arms around him and kissed him sweetly.

“That was lovely too.” He said when they broke apart. She grinned and led him by the hand around to the side of the small lean-to housing the stairs, where a small bench stood facing south, where the cityscape was its most stunning. They sat down, and Heather tucked herself comfortably into Adam’s arms. Together, they gazed out into the city lights in content silence. Finally Adam spoke.

“This is nice.”

Heather turned her face toward his. “It would be nicer if we could see the stars.”

Adam gazed into her eyes for a moment. “We’ll just have to make our own stars then.” Adam knew how cheesy and clichéd his words were the minute they left his lips. By the way the corners of Heather’s lips curled up, it seemed she knew too, but her eyes said that his actual words mattered less than the sentiment behind them. He tilted his head down until his lips met hers.

It was the first real kiss they’d had since they’d left the others behind, and they lost themselves to it. The kiss was deep and intense, the sort that caused you to cease being yourself, you became only your lips, your tongue, your skin. Adam was acutely aware of Heather’s fingertips on his cheeks, sliding upward into his hair. Her tongue twisted against his, hot and wet, while her lips moved in perfect rhythm with his own.

Heather wasn’t thinking about where she was, or that they could easily be seen by any number of the residents in the neighbouring buildings. She was only aware of Adam’s mouth on hers, and her fingers in his hair. His hands were behind her back, supporting her as she leaned farther and farther back. His body followed hers, leaning forward against her.

Her backward descent did not stop until her back was pressed against the angular metal arm of the bench. Adam’s hands slid down her sides and up under the bottom edge of her shirt. His thumbs slid smoothly across her stomach, just above her navel, and she shivered involuntarily. He kissed deeper, deeper it seemed than she had ever been kissed before. Now Heather was aching for him, and with this, she suddenly realized how many problems any further intimacy could cause them.

Gasping, Heather pulled her mouth away from Adam’s and lowered her hands out of his hair and onto his shoulders instead. “Wait.” She said, breathing heavily.

Adam stared at her a moment, and she sensed that he was struggling between his physical body’s desire to continue, and his natural respect for her feelings. He backed off of her, pulling her up with him until they were once more sitting upright on the bench. Heather’s brow furrowed as she sought the words to explain herself. “I want this, but...” She shook her head. “I can’t help but think how much painful it’ll make it for us to say goodbye. I think maybe it would be better, in the long run, to wait, at least until we can be together again, and able to spend some more time together.”

Adam’s face fell. Only a little, but enough for her to catch it. But she didn’t blame him. He was only human, and a man on top of that. She’d probably react the same way if she were in his position. “I’m sorry.” She said. “I really, really am, because I want this too. I want you.”

Adam kissed her gently on the cheek. “It’s okay. I agree with you, we should wait.”

Heather was right, and Adam knew it. He’d had flings and one night stands, but that wasn’t what he wanted with Heather. She was sweet and he liked her for more than just her physical assets. He wanted more from her, he wanted something special. If only he’d run into her on a Dublin street, and not here. Of course, had she been from Dublin, she most certainly would have recognized him.

That was becoming a problem. Women in Dublin knew who he was and what he was worth. Of course, now and then he didn’t mind the attention of a woman who went after him for a piece of his fame, but from time to time, he wanted more. As fun as it was to be wild, he was beginning to wish he’d had a highschool sweetheart, as Bono did. The band were moving forward, there was no question about that, and it was only a matter of time before he began to more often be seen for his fame first, and himself second.

Right now though, he was content with what he had with Heather, and could only hope that it would work out. She was once more lying warmly against his chest with her arms tucked around him. They looked out into the sprawling sea of lights before them and talked. The conversation flowed from easy, pleasant topics, to the more pressing issue of how they would manage to keep in touch with one another while Adam was on tour, and how they would manage not to miss each other terribly.

They assured each other that they were mature enough to handle it, and that phone calls and letters would suffice. At the end of this leg of the tour, Adam would once again be in the city, before flying back to Europe, so they’d be able to see each other again. But after the tour ended, he’d be back in Dublin, and that was a bit of a problem, as Heather would still be here, on the wrong side of the ocean. He once again found himself wishing she was a Dublin girl.

All that out of the way, the conversation turned back to its previous easy flow, broken only by silences which were in no way awkward. The bench was moderately comfortable, and Adam found himself growing more and more relaxed. It had been a long day, and Adam could think of nowhere else he’d rather end it than with Heather in his arms. He lay his head back against the wall behind the bench and stroked Heather’s arm. This really was a lovely place.

The next thing Adam knew, he was being jarred awake by a police siren, and had no idea where he was. His glasses were askew, and he could only see blackness and twinkling lights. It was only when Heather stirred against him that he remembered everything.

“Adam?” She asked blearily.

He sat up. “We fell asleep. What time is it?”

Heather sat up too and looked at her watch. “It’s ten after two.”

“Shit.” He said, rubbing his face and setting his glasses even further askew before straightening them. “I need to get back to the hotel, we’ve got a show tomorrow.”

Heather stood and stretched, and Adam couldn’t help but stare at the way her shirt pulled taught against her body when she did. She caught him looking. “Take a picture, it’ll last longer.”

Adam smiled. “I haven’t got a camera.”

“Pity.” Heather said, taking his hands in both of hers and pulling him up with a surprising amount of strength for her size. Once he was up, he tucked her into a tight embrace.

“I don’t want to let go.:

“We have to.” Heather said, although she made no move to do so.

Adam leaned in to kiss her, but she pulled back and placed a single halting hand on his chest. “Wait. Let’s at least get down the stairs first.”

Adam smiled and nodded. She was right. If they started kissing again, who knew what would happen or how much longer they’d stay on the roof.

Heather led the way back down through the stairwell. She passed by the doorway to the third floor without even taking a single step toward it. It might make more traditional sense for them to say goodnight at her door, but she didn’t trust herself to not pull him inside with her as soon as they reached it.

However, as they reached the second floor landing, Adam grabbed her roughly, but absolutely sexily and pushed her against the wall. They were kissing immediately. Adam’s body was pressed all along hers, and Heather arched her back against the rough concrete wall, pushing herself hard against him. She felt weak, both in her inhibitions and in physical strength. She felt as though she no longer had any bones in her body. Adam’s strong hands and the wall behind her seemed to be the only things holding her up.

Their mouths finally broke apart, and Heather, still holding onto Adam for support, gestured toward the stairs leading back up. “My apartment’s only one floor up.” Her words came out laboured and rushed as she struggled to pull air into her lungs.

Adam actually took a step back toward the stairs, before stopping and shaking his head. “Bad idea, Heather.”

In her frustration, Heather regained her strength. She pulled away from him and crossed her arms. “You started it.”

Adam put his hands on her shoulders but refrained from moving any closer. “I couldn’t help myself.”

She shook her head and sighed. “Dammit, why does this have to be so hard?”

Adam smiled at her. “Because, we’re both such sexy people.”
Heather raised her eyebrows, smiling. “If you say so.”

He reached up and stroked her on the cheek. “I know so.”

Heather tilted her head toward his hand and closed his eyes. Perhaps she was mistaken in the heat of their passion, but she didn’t think she’d ever felt this way about anyone before. Suddenly she was confused, and very, very tired. “Maybe we’d both better just say goodnight now.”

Adam looked into her eyes and she knew he could see something wrong there. “Are you okay?”

Heather lay her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. “I’m just tired, that’s all. This is so much, so fast, you know?”

Adam kissed her gently on her head. “I know.” He paused. “Will you join me for lunch tomorrow, at the hotel?”

She looked up at him and smiled. “I’d like that. What time?”

“Noon should work.”

“Okay. Will you be able to sleep tonight?”

“Probably not.”

Heather laughed tiredly. “Me either.”

A mischievous grin played at Adam’s lips. “Well, I guess we’ll be ‘not sleeping’ together.”

Heather laughed and backed away, making a shooing gesture. “Oh, just go.”

“Not without one more kiss.”

“Oh fine.” She said and moved back toward him.

“Well don’t act so tortured about it!”

“I’m not, I’m really not.” She said, stepping back into his arms.

They kissed, deep and sweet, but brief, and then after a lingering hug, said their goodbyes. Heather watched Adam disappear around the next turn of the stairs, then she made her way slowly back up them to her floor.

Once inside her apartment, she locked the door, dropped her purse on the couch, and walked straight to her bed. She collapsed onto it, facedown. Heather lay like that, not moving, her head full to the brim with thoughts both good and bad. Of course, she was imagining all the possibilities with Adam, and everything they might be doing right now if they’d given into their desires. But she was also thinking about how fast and how hard she’d fallen for him, and how scary it was. She was thinking about how much she wanted him, and how much she would miss him. Heather didn’t realize she was crying until she felt the hot tears on her cheeks.

The hotel corridors were dead and deserted. Adam let himself into the room as quietly as possible, trying to avoid waking Edge. Inside the dark and silent room, he turned and want straight into the bathroom. He shut the door, turned on the light, and took off his glasses. He lay them on the counter and rubbed his face. Heather was on his mind, of course. Facing his mates in the morning was also on his mind.

He knew that they didn’t always fully approve of his lifestyle, which was often at complete odds with theirs. He’d left quite abruptly last night with Heather, and of course they would have drawn their own conclusions about that. If pressed, he’d tell the truth, that they’d fallen asleep on her roof, but there were no guarantees that they’d believe him. Edge might. Bono certainly wouldn’t.

Adam got ready for bed and crawled in in the dark. The sheets were crisp and cool as hotel sheets always were, but he couldn’t get comfortable, He felt physically exhausted and mentally drained, but there was too much to think about for the coming days, and he couldn’t relax. The dimly lit alarm clock on the nightstand already read a quarter to four. Adam rolled away from the clock and began his difficult search for slumber.

---------

That's it for now, but I must add (read: brag) about two things. The part where Heather stands up and stretches, and Adam is watching her... I totally lived that exact moment last night, and thought about this fic (that bit was written months prior, by the way), and also, one thing I wish I had thought to add, is Heather noticing after Adam left that her shirt smelled like him. Because after I got home last night, I totally noticed that mine smelled like the guy I was with, and I couldn't stop sniffing it :cute:

DreamOutLoud13 said:
The silvery light of urban evenings lay over her like silk.
This is a beautiful line. :up:

Great chapter! :D You make it so easy to feel for both characters.

And I'm glad life is imitating art so happily for you at the moment :hug:

Re: Re: Light My Fire: Chapter 5

Alisaura said:
This is a beautiful line. :up:

Great chapter! :D You make it so easy to feel for both characters.

And I'm glad life is imitating art so happily for you at the moment :hug:
Yeah, I loved that line when I wrote it :) Sometimes I just come up with a line that's so good, and I go "Damn, I'm awesome" :lol:

And thanks for the feedback, and the hug :) I feel so incredible :D

Back
Top Bottom