Larry's not on board...and Bono knows it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That wouldn't be funny even if there had been a meltdown.

All these lame stabs at humor and there was only one funny post?

Sad.

Tellingly, it wasn't one of the trolls who made it.

Redhill is a fan - he is the best fan. Let me tell you, he knows all these amazing things about u2 - things the rest of you couldn't imagine. So many here are fake fans, reporting alternative opinions. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Redhill is a fan - he is the best fan. Let me tell you, he knows all these amazing things about u2 - things the rest of you couldn't imagine. So many here are fake fans, reporting alternative opinions. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yea, you really are sad with your distortions.

I'm just not a "good times" fan who doesn't get what the band has always been about.

Like I said, ignorance is bliss so enjoy it!

:wave:

I'm not the one being blind. My eyes are wide open.

Funny, you quoted the last line of my post about how SOE may/may not be affected by the upcoming tour.

Then BVS asks you more or less the same question to justify your point of view, and you post a link to the same article I quoted, without any context to back you up.

Yea, you really are sad with your distortions.

Like I said, ignorance is bliss so enjoy it!

^

I think I'll make some noodles and ponder the meaning of this thread. In the meantime, to quote
Captain Beefheart "someone's had too much to think." I'll leave it at that.

Funny, you quoted the last line of my post about how SOE may/may not be affected by the upcoming tour.

Then BVS asks you more or less the same question to justify your point of view, and you post a link to the same article I quoted, without any context to back you up.

^

Yeah, I'm a little baffled(maybe I shouldn't be), but there seems to be some basic reading comprehension issues, or his ego is just completely in the way. Probably a combination of both :shrug:

I think I'll make some noodles and ponder the meaning of this thread. In the meantime, to quote
Captain Beefheart "someone's had too much to think." I'll leave it at that.

I'm totally cool with this thread taking a turn towards a noodles discussion.

izHkUOF.gif

Keep flailing your little purple brushes around guys!

:wave:

Last edited:
U2 needs to hire Scott Spicer to talk about what this tour means to them. He's be well suited to spinning the fairy dust required to make it consistent with U2's DNA.

Seriously guys, I dont use the term DNA lightly. This is something that isnt supposed to be able to be changed. And some of us are cut up about that. Its more than music. They can do whatever they like. If this tour comes to Australia I dont think I will go.

I look forward to the setlist party on night one when they botch up the concert by skipping a JT song or by playing a watered down version of one or more of the JT songs. All of the apologists can then jump onto that.

Last edited:
You don't have an argument. You have an opinion. Opinions don't have to be shared. Your opinion on this tour is right to you. It doesn't meant it's right to anyone else. You can't win or lose an argument that is based solely on opinion.

This is what you seem to not comprehend.

You have every right to be upset by this move if you don't see it as the band living up to the ideals you think they've set for themselves. That doesn't mean we need to agree with you, or that your opinion is some sort of settled fact.

The majority of us here have stated that yes, we'd rather have SOE, but are happy with something rather than nothing and are genuinely excited to see songs that haven't been played in forever. That doesn't​ mean you have to agree with us, or that our opinion is settled fact.

Instead of just accepting that people don't necessarily see things your way, you belittle their opinion and then play the victim card when people respond. You come across as incredibly smug and entitled because you refuse to even acknowledge that other people might have a different opinion than you, and no, this does not make them Kool aid drinking sheep. If anything some of the members you're accusing of being that have been highly critical of the band's actions in the past.

But hey, keep fucking that chicken. It seems to be working out for you.

chillin' with my noodles with stewed tomatoes and continuing to read this thread.

As for this thread, I just really don't care anymore what U2 does. If they want to return to a hugely popular
album and play it live is fine with me. I won't be buying that uber set thing. I sort of expected another long
wait for SOE to come out anyways. This short tour won't slow or speeds thing up with its release, I think.

Last edited:
Larry is usually so demonstrative and outgoing, I don't know what happened to him. I think that not only is he "not on board" he's in the midst of a severe mental health crisis. I hope he's ok.

Speaking of odd behaviour in that video, Bono sure talks a lot and makes some bad jokes...think he's on the nose candy? Actually, if you freeze the video at 8:48:02 you can see what is clearly a hospital bracelet. And if you zoom in you can make out the letters ETTY FORD.

This band is falling apart.

I just happen to be one of those actual fans who "got what it was all about".

That's the difference. I'm not buying the current "party line" because it's a cover story. I'm wide awake, my friend.

Stay woke, redhill. Stay woke.

Some of us believed in those statements 30 years ago but I'm guessing you were wearing short pants back then.

So fucking funny you can't comprehend that people change and evolve over thirty years, and that something they didn't necessarily want to do in one decade is something they now desire.

"For me, that term "pop" is like a candy bar. You buy it because you like it, you eat it, and then you throw it away. It has no long-term meaning or value." —The Edge, on pop music (1985)

BREAKING: Edge hated Pop before album was ever even recorded. Clearly hates self for allowing album to be named such. These are facts and undeniable. If you deny, you are sad troll clown. Looking at you, Axver. Looking. At. You.

Headache, don't bully me. :(:(:(

That wouldn't be funny even if there had been a meltdown.

All these lame stabs at humor and there was only one funny post?

Sad.

Tellingly, it wasn't one of the trolls who made it.

You don't get to decide which burns of you are funny.

You don't have an argument. You have an opinion. Opinions don't have to be shared. Your opinion on this tour is right to you. It doesn't meant it's right to anyone else. You can't win or lose an argument that is based solely on opinion.

This is what you seem to not comprehend.

You have every right to be upset by this move if you don't see it as the band living up to the ideals you think they've set for themselves. That doesn't mean we need to agree with you, or that your opinion is some sort of settled fact.

The majority of us here have stated that yes, we'd rather have SOE, but are happy with something rather than nothing and are genuinely excited to see songs that haven't been played in forever. That doesn't​ mean you have to agree with us, or that our opinion is settled fact.

Instead of just accepting that people don't necessarily see things your way, you belittle their opinion and then play the victim card when people respond. You come across as incredibly smug and entitled because you refuse to even acknowledge that other people might have a different opinion than you, and no, this does not make them Kool aid drinking sheep. If anything some of the members you're accusing of being that have been highly critical of the band's actions in the past.

But hey, keep fucking that chicken. It seems to be working out for you.

Very well put, especially the underlined paragraph.

I'm especially amused that overnight I've gone from being an unbearable hater to a blind sheep. At least I'm still unbearable.

Lawd god...what a thread. Here's a couple reminders:

- Bono and Larry are very close and have both said in years past that they have a bond far beyond the band. This idea that Larry hates Bono is unsupported by anything we know

- Larry looks positively wasted or extremely hung over in the video

- I have been told by someone who had been around them a good while that he's actually quite the joker of the band.

- looks can be deceiving

someone who didn't know that U2 were even a band would watch videos of them together and conclude that it's four friends. it's amazing that anyone can think otherwise.

and yeah, larry doesn't seem too sober in the video. that screwdriver he's drinking probably isn't his first of the day (in the spirit of this thread I've decided to treat my baseless assumption as fact)

Didn't Edge said last year in Rolling stone or billboard that didn't they don't want to be an "Heritage act"?..a year ago?..not 25 years ago.

If this tour isn't an heritage act move then what do you call it?

Andrew's DNA reference is well spot on,

Can you imagine Pearl Jam doing an hightech production tour? I can't picture Eddie saying "Hey, we are not the same people we were 25 years ago"

You could imagine the reaction of the fan base.

Last edited:
Didn't Edge said last year in Rolling stone or billboard that didn't they don't want to be an "Heritage act"?..a year ago?..not 25 years ago.

Can you image Pearl Jam doing an hightech production tour? I can't picture Eddie saying "Hey, we are not the same people we were 25 years ago"

Yeah I don't think anyone is really disputing this. I'm not really that happy about the tour but I'm going to still go and probably have an awesome time. But when the tour was announced I immediately said SOE was dead and still think so.

What you won't see from me is making silly assumptions based off a video clip

Doing Album shows is quite popular these days, even among much younger bands than U2. Muse did a few shows to celebrate the Origin of Symmetry. Weezer did some like 5 years ago. This year along, Interpol, The Wombats, and The Cribs are all doing shows/tours based on specific albums. It doesn't make them "heritage" acts.

I think Gabriel is most likely absolutely right. While I'm sure they have their differences (as all families do), no doubt Bono and Larry have a bond that goes beyond the band...even beyond friendship. Much like Guinan and Picard.

Most likely Larry was either having a bad day or being a prankster during the interview.

As for me, I'm happy they're doing these shows. While a new record would have been nice, I'd much rather see a Joshua Tree retrospective than a continuation of the I+E tour.

Can you imagine Pearl Jam doing an hightech production tour? I can't picture Eddie saying "Hey, we are not the same people we were 25 years ago"

Yet again, I'm sure there's plenty of Bowie and Prince fans who wish they could hear "Hunky Dory" or "1999" in it's entirety nowadays, even in lieu of new music or hipster cred or whatever.

It is what it is. Once again, they're coming off a tour where they payed SIX to NINE new songs a night. And for all the complaints about them not playing certain album tracks enough, this sure seems like a tour that could get some of the big ones wished for out of the way. On top of that, the band's still healthy and touring and I get a chance to see them live again. So I'm pretty much good. If playing a 30-year-old album and some album tracks we never hear live isn't enough for people, then cool, do something else with your time or money. For me, I can't really afford to lose sleep over the motives or comparing what they said a few decades ago with facial tics in recent videos. It can make for interesting conversation in these parts, but not to the point where it makes me dislike people for having an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom