Larry's not on board...and Bono knows it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What were my claims about SOE? I thought the answer to that question was going to make everything right with the world?

WHAT LIE DID I TELL?

It's crude at best to call someone a liar and then not back it up.

Right with the world? No, I was just curious.

You told someone to educate themselves because the band had said how the tour will impact working on SOE. I thought maybe you had some new info regarding them continuing work. You didn't.

Guys, this has gone too far. I am actually worried about redhill. I genuinely think everyone needs to back off.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

No, I listed other reasons earlier in the thread but I know you're only interested in smearing me...and are too lazy to do any actual research.

WHAT LIE DID I TELL?

I'm not smearing you, I'm trying to get you to think about your comments.

There is no research to do, because there is no context to link playing an entire album(new territory for them) to the jukebox comments. None. So stop pretending that this is some trivia question that has one real answer.

As (repeatedly) mentioned, this thread quickly became about the fact that this tour runs counter to everything the band has ever stood for. I listed a number of facts to support that (several times).
I think the last leg of the 360 Tour was more of a jukebox experience than what this is shaping up to be. Which perhaps also wasn't too surprising at he time as it coincided with the Achtung Baby anniversary / re-release. And all those re-releases started on the back of releasing 3 best off albums while managing 1 album of new material in the same timespan.
Just makes me wonder why the prospect of the JT tour according to you runs counter to everything the band has stood for, while the facts seem to support it is the result of a natural progressions started about 20 years ago.

I think the last leg of the 360 Tour was more of a jukebox experience than what this is shaping up to be. Which perhaps also wasn't too surprising at he time as it coincided with the Achtung Baby anniversary / re-release. And all those re-releases started on the back of releasing 3 best off albums while managing 1 album of new material in the same timespan.
Just makes me wonder why the prospect of the JT tour according to you runs counter to everything the band has stood for, while the facts seem to support it is the result of a natural progressions started about 20 years ago.

Good point here. A tour where they play all of Joshua Tree because reasons (their artistic validity in the eyes of the beholder) is more of an artistic statement than the career setlist of the last North American 360 leg. Those shows was a tad too 90s focused to call it a hit parade, but they were playing setlists that are the closest thing we've gotten to what we'd get if they ever went on tour without an album or concept to support. They only went halfway towards supporting the 20th Anniversary of Achtung Baby; 5 songs a night + 2 Zooropa songs (if those even really count, which is questionable) is nothing next to 11 JT songs a night.

I really am tired of beating that dead horse.

My dream for this band was that, one last time, they made an album that captured the world's imagination like they have twice in the past. I want to be around when it happens and I don't like the idea of their treading on former glories to accomplish that (as opposed to it being on the back of new material).

Who knows, maybe this tour will actually capture the public's interest to the point where SOE is placed in a better light (based on the Apple backlash) and given more attention. If it's an extraordinary album, maybe this tour that I'm railing against might ultimately lead to what I would like to see happen in the long run.

That would be exciting but I don't think the ends justify the means...and I don't like the approach in any case.

With that said, I didn't mean to be heavy-handed and I said at the outset that I wasn't trying to spoil anyone's fun.

I think everyone here loves this band and there are some elements of this tour I'm looking forward to. I'll never be fully on board and I predict that, in the future, it will come to light that Larry, at the very least, was conflicted as well. I don't see how he could be anything but.

I'm not smearing you, I'm trying to get you to think about your comments.

There is no research to do, because there is no context to link playing an entire album(new territory for them) to the jukebox comments. None. So stop pretending that this is some trivia question that has one real answer.

So no apology for calling me a liar when I never lied?

Guys, this has gone too far. I am actually worried about redhill. I genuinely think everyone needs to back off.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I was hoping this thread would be a welcome distraction from difficult circumstances but that didn't pan out.

So no apology for calling me a liar when I never lied?

Did you not say this in response to someone saying they'd prefer SOE?

"Further, you're revealing how uninformed you truly are. The band has spoke in recent interviews about how this tour will impact work on SOE. Get up to speed on the facts"

You've been asked by several folks what you meant and all you've done is post links to full interviews, none of which said anything about the tour impacting work on SOE.

So either you can't elaborate on what you meant, you misunderstood, or you lied, which is it?

So let's talk on this romanticized quote by Larry about not wanting to become the U2 jukebox.

So first... there are a few things wrong with the quote itself. There is insinuation that because Springsteen is joyous on stage, that it's not hard work - which could not be further from the truth. Nobody works harder on stage than Springsteen, the true heir to James Brown's stage presence. Hard work and joy aren't separate things in competition with each other.

Second, what exactly changed from this point on as far as U2 being the jukebox churning out hits? What did Larry's "Springsteen" quote really lead to?

Before this quote, U2 on your played songs from their last album mixed in with the hits, with static, unchanging setlists.

After this tour, U2 played songs from their latest album mixed in with the hits, with static, unchanging setlists.

They loosened up, sure. They added technology to amazing success, yes. But the basic setlist structure never changed. If one were to argue that U2 were turning into the U2 jukebox on your during Lovetown, then they certainly remained that for the rest of their careers... only with nicer bells and whistles.

They certainly didn't take any ques from Springsteen in their setlist designs. They focused more on the theatrical aspects as opposed to actually playing more of their catalog.

So this idea that they are now all of a sudden turning into the U2 jukebox Larry was afraid they were turning into on Lovetown is bullshit. They play the same setlist structure today as they did then - new album, the hits, ignore everything else.

If anything, they'll be playing more "rare" songs on this tour than any other tour they've done. They also are doing something that the inspiration for Larry's quote did last year (although I'm sure with much less setlist movement).

Also, Larry's what, 26-27 at that time? Tell us again about how your opinions in your 20s are the same as in your 50s.

But back to the quote... if nothing changed in setlist structure, what was his quote really about? Probably Larry not wanting to be the joyless, stoic assholes U2 could come off as in the 80s. Larry was afraid of it becoming just a job.

THAT is what his jukebox quote was about; THAT is what actually changed, and THAT has nothing to do with this tour.

This tour isn't exactly "uncharted territory." They started dropping songs from NLOTH on latter legs of 360, essentially turning it into a greatest hits show. And eventually did the Achtung Baby tribute thing. So none of this is all that much of a departure.

As far Larry being "on board"....if he shows up and plays the drums he's 'on board'. He's doing the promo stuff, even if begrudgingly. No, he may not be happy about it, and he might wish they were doing something else...and he may not even like Bono that much anymore. We really don't know. But what difference does it make? I tend to agree with you that Larry's unhappy, and his body language (if you'd calm down for a second I think you'd see a lot of people agree with you on that), but so what if he is?

Now, would U2 back in the day scoff and mock at the notion of doing what is essentially a dinosaur band, album tribute tour? Of course. Again, so what? Things change. If they've gone so far afield, and violated their own ethics and artistic integrity enough so that it offends you, drop them and listen to Radiohead.

Last edited:
I really am tired of beating that dead horse.

My dream for this band was that, one last time, they made an album that captured the world's imagination like they have twice in the past. I want to be around when it happens and I don't like the idea of their treading on former glories to accomplish that (as opposed to it being on the back of new material).

Who knows, maybe this tour will actually capture the public's interest to the point where SOE is placed in a better light (based on the Apple backlash) and given more attention. If it's an extraordinary album, maybe this tour that I'm railing against might ultimately lead to what I would like to see happen in the long run.

That would be exciting but I don't think the ends justify the means...and I don't like the approach in any case.

With that said, I didn't mean to be heavy-handed and I said at the outset that I wasn't trying to spoil anyone's fun.

I think everyone here loves this band and there are some elements of this tour I'm looking forward to. I'll never be fully on board and I predict that, in the future, it will come to light that Larry, at the very least, was conflicted as well. I don't see how he could be anything but.

This is probably your most rational post to date. :up:

Did you not say this in response to someone saying they'd prefer SOE?

"Further, you're revealing how uninformed you truly are. The band has spoke in recent interviews about how this tour will impact work on SOE. Get up to speed on the facts"

You've been asked by several folks what you meant and all you've done is post links to full interviews, none of which said anything about the tour impacting work on SOE.

So either you can't elaborate on what you meant, you misunderstood, or you lied, which is it?

Yea, as I recall there is information in one or both of those two articles reflecting that...and there is another quote from Adam somewhere. Maybe it was in Q.

I'm sure it can be found if you want to take the time and do the research.

There was no lie so stop making slanderous accusations.

Yea, as I recall there is information in one or both of those two articles reflecting that...and there is another quote from Adam somewhere. Maybe it was in Q.

Well it would actually be libel.

Reflecting what? That the tour will stop work on the album?

This is PART of my point, when asked several times you couldn't elaborate. So one would assume you were trying to say that the band stated the tour will stop or delay the album.

This tour isn't exactly "uncharted territory." They started dropping songs from NLOTH on latter legs of 360, essentially turning it into a greatest hits show. And eventually did the Achtung Baby tribute thing. So none of this is all that much of a departure.

As far Larry being "on board"....if he shows up and plays the drums he's 'on board'. He's doing the promo stuff, even if begrudgingly. No, he may not be happy about it, and he might wish they were doing something else...and he may not even like Bono that much anymore. We really don't know. But what difference does it make? I tend to agree with you that Larry's unhappy, and his body language (if you'd calm down for a second I think you'd see a lot of people agree with you on that), but so what if he is?

Now, would U2 back in the day scoff and mock at the notion of doing what is essentially a dinosaur band, album tribute tour? Of course. Again, so what? Things change. If they've gone so far afield, and violated their own ethics and artistic integrity enough so that it offends you, drop them and listen to Radiohead.

You make some good points. I'm not to the point where I can say "so what" and don't think I ever will be, though....and I don't buy the "things change" argument. Yea, they do, and you have to be adaptive but this is a lot to ask. The primary thrill of U2 concerts for me has always been to see how they would play and present their new material...and that's what seemed to primarily motivate them as well. They were excited about their new music!

For what it's worth, I'll always "follow" U2. My hearts not in this one though. I was never a huge Radiohead fan but certainly respect them. I like a lot of different music but tend to obsess over certain bands (can you tell?!)

Maybe I'll go listen to Script of the Bridge ;] One of the only albums ever made, IMO, to rival the consistent strength and dazzling awesomeness of Achtung Baby.

Last edited:
Reflecting what? That the tour will stop work on the album?

This is PART of my point, when asked several times you couldn't elaborate. So one would assume you were trying to say that the band stated the tour will stop or delay the album.

No, they delayed the album, IMO, because they didn't have the balls to take their stand without seeing how the political ramifications of Trump would play out in the US.

On one hand, I can't fault them entirely for this but I sure don't like their tendency to overcook. That's one reason Zooropa is still so inspiring.

I sure hope that comment doesn't open another can of worms.

No, they delayed the album, IMO, because they didn't have the balls to take their stand without seeing how the political ramifications of Trump would play out in the US.

On one hand, I can't fault them entirely for this but I sure don't like their tendency to overcook. That's one reason Zooropa is still so inspiring.

I sure hope that comment doesn't open another can of worms.

No, but you can see how it's frustrating, right?

You still haven't said what you meant by that comment.

No, but you can see how it's frustrating, right?

You still haven't said what you meant by that comment.

I don't know dude. I'm burnt out on this whole topic at this point. Read the interviews and draw whatever conclusions you want.

I won't post in this thread anymore unless a bunch of people start clowning me again. So if anyone wants to avoid any further drama it should be pretty easy to do.

Hopefully this isn't asking too much.

I hope everyone who's heart is in this tour has more fun than should be legally permitted.

Peace!

I don't know dude. I'm burnt out on this whole topic at this point. Read the interviews and draw whatever conclusions you want.

I won't post in this thread anymore unless a bunch of people start clowning me again. So if anyone wants to avoid any further drama it should be pretty easy to do.

Hopefully this isn't asking too much.

I hope everyone who's heart is in this tour has more fun than should be legally permitted.

Peace!

Hope you find some peace in the day.

Hey, redhill. Pryck here. All I will say in regard to Larry is that he's a Scorpio. It comes with the territory. I say this because our birthdays are 5 days apart.

I need to be entertained by you. Please fatten up your profile.

I do understand that it's conjecture and I'm not basing my theory solely on that (that would be ridiculous). With that said, I do stand by my reading of the dynamics in that video. Beyond that, since this thread was indeed initially about the video, there was more than body language at play. The *fact* that Larry was asked three separate times to name a JT song he was excited about and he named -0- songs also gets swept under the rug in this discussion.

As (repeatedly) mentioned, this thread quickly became about the fact that this tour runs counter to everything the band has ever stood for. I listed a number of facts to support that (several times).

Let's apply Occam's razor here then. The first time in U2's history that we heard that Larry didn't want to be in the band was at the end of the Lovetown tour. His complaint was that he didn't want to be a jukebox.

In the upcoming tour, they will be playing the entire JT album (like a jukebox).

Thus, Larry's not thrilled about this tour.

Simple.

As I stated earlier, what's a more simple explanation: that Larry was having a bad day or was being camera shy, or that he hates Bono and the JT tour but is still doing it for some reason?

"I’d rather be dead than sing Satisfaction when I’m 45."- Mick Jagger, 1975

Do you understand that people can change their minds? Hell, Pearl Jam plays Ticketmaster venues now. Axl Rose said he'd never reunite with Slash and they did. Peoples' outlook on things can change. A 30 year old quote means nothing in the context of this tour.

So let's talk on this romanticized quote by Larry about not wanting to become the U2 jukebox.

So first... there are a few things wrong with the quote itself. There is insinuation that because Springsteen is joyous on stage, that it's not hard work - which could not be further from the truth. Nobody works harder on stage than Springsteen, the true heir to James Brown's stage presence. Hard work and joy aren't separate things in competition with each other.

Second, what exactly changed from this point on as far as U2 being the jukebox churning out hits? What did Larry's "Springsteen" quote really lead to?

Before this quote, U2 on your played songs from their last album mixed in with the hits, with static, unchanging setlists.

After this tour, U2 played songs from their latest album mixed in with the hits, with static, unchanging setlists.

They loosened up, sure. They added technology to amazing success, yes. But the basic setlist structure never changed. If one were to argue that U2 were turning into the U2 jukebox on your during Lovetown, then they certainly remained that for the rest of their careers... only with nicer bells and whistles.

They certainly didn't take any ques from Springsteen in their setlist designs. They focused more on the theatrical aspects as opposed to actually playing more of their catalog.

So this idea that they are now all of a sudden turning into the U2 jukebox Larry was afraid they were turning into on Lovetown is bullshit. They play the same setlist structure today as they did then - new album, the hits, ignore everything else.

If anything, they'll be playing more "rare" songs on this tour than any other tour they've done. They also are doing something that the inspiration for Larry's quote did last year (although I'm sure with much less setlist movement).

Also, Larry's what, 26-27 at that time? Tell us again about how your opinions in your 20s are the same as in your 50s.

But back to the quote... if nothing changed in setlist structure, what was his quote really about? Probably Larry not wanting to be the joyless, stoic assholes U2 could come off as in the 80s. Larry was afraid of it becoming just a job.

THAT is what his jukebox quote was about; THAT is what actually changed, and THAT has nothing to do with this tour.

:up:

:lock:

So, distortion is your favorite demented tactic. Duly noted. Not "the rest of us"...as I already repeatedly stated...there are some on this board who see the truth.

Try every trick in your book but it's not going to work. I'm not going to apologize for calling it like it is.

I can't believe I missed this gem.

Distortion is not my favorite demented tactic. Using snarky gifs is my favorite demented tactic.

GET IT RIGHT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom