Larry's drumsticks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
anyone know if Larry has ever used anything other than basic drumsticks? more specifically, brushes, or (i dont know the name) those sticks with the padding at the end (like hitting a bong)

the live version of Fast Cars sounds like uses something different, but perhaps he is justing using a different, deeper sounding drum (again, i dont know the proper names)

marik said:
anyone know if Larry has ever used anything other than basic drumsticks? more specifically, brushes, or (i dont know the name) those sticks with the padding at the end (like hitting a bong)

the live version of Fast Cars sounds like uses something different, but perhaps he is justing using a different, deeper sounding drum (again, i dont know the proper names)

He uses brushes in the studio ALOT. THe Ground Beneath Her Feet is a perfect example.

He also uses something like "hotstix" (bundled drumsticks) for the 1st 1/2 of the Bad recording.

I have one of larrys drumsticks! (bono gave it me, he didnt throw it into the crowd.)
And he does seem to use brushes alot, you can really notice it in some songs.

i know for Fast Cars (live) and for the Brooklyn Bridge show he used HotRod sticks -- which are bundled drumsticks (like Mr Brau said) that aren't as loud as regular sticks.

the 'sticks with the padding at the end' are mallets -- im sure he's used those in studio but i'm not sure about live

11870Larry_s_sticks-med.JPG

This is what his sticks looked like for the Popmart tour. They were very similiar for Elevation and Vertigo also. They had a black band mark though at the mid point on the stick for those tours.

partygirlvox said:
I have one of larrys drumsticks! (bono gave it me, he didnt throw it into the crowd.)
And he does seem to use brushes alot, you can really notice it in some songs.

....I stood right where he would be playing his little drum on LAPOE, and he wouldn't give me his drum stick...:grumpy: I figured if he didn't, then maybe bono would go crazy and smack the stick so hard at the end and it would bounce to me. It got 3 feet away and then security wouldn't give it to me...:grumpy: You are one lucky person...:wink:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I'm shameless... Any excuse to post it.

346838844%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3236%3E7%3B4%3E793%3EWSNRCG%3D32333%3A%3C%3B5%3A46%3Cnu0mrj

:up: Wow, that is a cool way of displaying it! Did you have a professional do that? I would like to display mine like that also.

Is it true he has specially designed drumsticks because of his wrist problems?

U2girl said:
Is it true he has specially designed drumsticks because of his wrist problems?
That's true, also a reason why he rarely throws his sticks into the audience, they're very expensive and custom-made.

Blue Room said:

:up: Wow, that is a cool way of displaying it! Did you have a professional do that? I would like to display mine like that also.

I did it myself. :D

I bought a shadowbox from Michael's and, even though the picture of Larry is from the night after (no pics of that night :( ), I thought it looked cool to have a picture of him in there. :drool:

OpperGoeroe said:

That's true, also a reason why he rarely throws his sticks into the audience, they're very expensive and custom-made.

Actually, thats not really true. He doesnt throw them because they could hit and injure someone and its just not his style either. They are obviously custom made (very light) so its not as hard on his wrists. However, once he uses a pair they get tossed. He never reuses them and he goes through alot of them during a show. So cost has nothing to do with it.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I did it myself. :D

I bought a shadowbox from Michael's and, even though the picture of Larry is from the night after (no pics of that night :( ), I thought it looked cool to have a picture of him in there. :drool:

:up: Impressive. So its a shadow box. :hmm: How did you mount the ticket stub, bands and photo then? I'm not a great arts and crafts guy if you can't tell. :laugh: :reject:

Back
Top Bottom