Larry Mullens Email to U2.com Members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beli

Blue Crack Addict
Dear beli

This is not something that I would normally do, but I feel that I have to do something to redress this situation.

There was a mess up in the way the tickets were distributed through U2.com for the Vertigo pre-sale. Some of it was beyond our control, but some of it wasn't.

I am now in the process of figuring out a way of distributing the tickets for our intended return to North America in the fall. The only fair way of doing this, is to give U2 Propaganda members, who are now U2.com members, priority in the queue.

After that, people will be given priority in the order in which they joined. Many people who joined U2.com and didn't get tickets are understandably angry. They now have the option to get a full refund of their subscription fee.

The idea that our long-time U2 fans and scalpers competed for U2 tickets through our own website is appalling to me. I want to apologise to you who have suffered that.

If your U2.com pre-sale experience has left you disappointed, I hope this will go some way towards reassuring you of our total commitment to our audience.

Slainte
Larry.

By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour, I've only got two words for you...

A refund on your U2.Com Subscription - how it works.

If you would like a refund on your U2.Com subscription because you have not been able to purchase tickets with your unique code for the Spring and Summer legs of Vertigo 2005 Tour, please complete the fields below.

The refund window is open for two weeks from today - February 2nd to February 16th.

- I am a U2.Com Subscriber who has not been able to secure tickets for the Spring and Summer legs of 'Vertigo 2005'.

- I further agree that I am in compliance in that I have not used my access code to purchase tickets.

- I understand that by submitting this form for a refund that I agree to have my account privileges, including e-mail, completely disabled.

- I understand that refunds may take as long as 3 weeks to post to my credit card.

The U2.Com Team

Please click below for information on a refund.

Well done :up:

Last edited:
I'm glad he wrote it. I'm really pleased U2 are taking a personal interest in this situation. Warms the cockles, it does.

The "two words" bit made me laugh.

yeah of all the band he's the one least likely to do this kind of thing. it makes me laugh to see him sat there writing an apology. it is an apology but its a larry apology, with the angry bit at the end!!!!

Why do you think hes the least likely to do this kind of thing? I thought he was the most likely. Hes usually the one member presented as having an interest in merchandise. Ticket sales and a web site are basically merchandise.

Not that it matters which one said it. I'm just so pleased someone said something and has developed a strategy for preventing this sort of stuff up from happening again.

(edited to replace a "," with a "." )

Last edited:
Hes usually the one member presented as having an interest in merchandise, Ticket sales and a web site are basically merchandise. [/B]

didnt know that, i always thought that he saw touring as a necessary evil these days, but good on him.

oops. There should be a full stop between merchandise and Ticket sales.

Theres be quite a few reports of Larry being heavily involved in the merchandise particularly the offical tshirts.

beli said:
Why do you think hes the least likely to do this kind of thing? I thought he was the most likely.

I agree. Out of the 4 band members, it seems to me that he dislikes bullshit the most. And what happened was definitely bullshit, so I'm not really surprised he did this.

Larry is my new favourite member of the band especially for that last comment on so called u2 fan accusing them of unseemly behaviour LOL.

:applaud:

Seems fair to me to give the longest time fans priority, kinda too bad for me since i only joined the u2com lately (been a fan for a while though) but since this probably only applies for the third leg and im european it wouldnt have mattered to me anyway)...

Thumbs up for larry :up: And im so happy
U2 did not sell out.....Rock on :rockon:

oh and sorry for the over the top use of the emoticons but i like the rock on one so i just had to use it once

I'm surprised nobody has whined yet that it's still not a full-band apology. :mad:
Oh well, those will probably be asleep.

:mad:

:D

The whining has already started over at Zootopia. (Propoganda members who didn't receive a special letter and don't appear to have acted on this issue)

Last edited:
After re-reading his message........

Larry seems to be a class act and I appreciate his personal involvement, but weren't Propaganda members supposed to be given "priority in the queue" in the first place?

Oh well, spilt milk I guess. I'm glad the guy spoke out.

I think it means MORE coming just from Larry. Had it been "signed" by the whole band, it would have seemed less authentic.

As has already been mentioned, Larry seems to have the biggest bullshit detector of all the members. He also seems like the one who would have the biggest concern about the band looking like a bunch of greedy assholes. He's definitely concerned with upholding the integrity of the band.

This still doesn't absolve him for convincing the others to leave Mercy off HTDAAB, but good show.

laz

nurse chrissi said:
If I didn't before - I now officially love Larry

This is going to do wonders with his status at Pleba. (Not that it was ever bad:wink: )

Popmartijn said:
I'm surprised nobody has whined yet that it's still not a full-band apology. :mad:
Oh well, those will probably be asleep.
:mad:D

That was my reaction over at EYKIW. I can't wait to see what kind of negative spin some people come up with. We've got some real pros at that in our midst.

It should be an interesting read later on today.

Wait for the "can't we even speak our minds?"/ "how dare they" threads to appear. My sentiments are with Larry. But I'd choose more than two words...

I see the letter posted on u2.com, but did an email actually go out to all u2.com members? I never got one. I feel so unloved.

speedracer said:
I see the letter posted on u2.com, but did an email actually go out to all u2.com members? I never got one. I feel so unloved.

I'm sure by the end of the day you'll have at least 2 in your inbox...
Seems to be how they do things like that over there...

This was my face this morning when I opened my gmail --> :ohmy:

Seeing that it was from Larry, I knew there would be anger in there and I was scared to open it! :uhoh: :lmao:

:applaud: :larry:

EPandAmerica said:
Have you guys checked your U2.com email? It might be there.

Yep, I did and it wasn't. Were you a previous Propaganda member? I am wondering if the letter was only sent to those folks.

It's honestly not an issue for me that I didn't get one, just curious.

While I appreciate that Larry took the time out of his busy schedule to address this situation, I still feel like I've been kicked in the nads.

Call me spoiled, a whiner, a complainer, a bitter bitch or whatever, but I'm one of those long-time, hardcore U2 fans who got shut out of tickets and I'm still pissed. I feel like the whole refund thing isn't really a viable option. All it does is shuts me out of future pre-sales which will most likely run a lot smoother. For the fan that lost out on tickets but wants to remain a member, this offers no consolation.

I think they should offer partial refunds for those who got screwed in this ticket fiasco, but still want to remain members of the club in the hopes that the problems will be resolved on the later legs of the tour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom