Kite appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadySpinHead

Refugee
I lost my dad unexpectedly this week. I was a total daddy's girl, I know he would move heaven and earth for me. Now he's gone. I'm very emotional and maybe a little drunk.

I just have to say, guys: Kite. Thank the universe for Kite. Once again U2 has saved me. I loved the song before, but now... Yea.

I lost my dad unexpectedly this week. I was a total daddy's girl, I know he would move heaven and earth for me. Now he's gone. I'm very emotional and maybe a little drunk.

I just have to say, guys: Kite. Thank the universe for Kite. Once again U2 has saved me. I loved the song before, but now... Yea.

Sorry to hear of your loss. It sucks and I'm sorry.

As for Kite, it is a good song of a great album and the lyrics are really heartfelt and beautiful. More importantly, I'm glad you can connect with it to a point where it can help you just little during such a difficult time.

I wish you and your family well.....God bless.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Kite is a such an amazing song, one of my favorites of all time, I hope it can help you heal in this difficult time in your life. Prayers sent.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

When my grandfather passed away this summer, this song really connected with me as well. I'm sorry for your loss and although these lyrics aren't from Kite just remember "there's no end to grief, that's how I know there's no end to love."

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Thanks everyone, for the kind words :heart: It's amazing how different songs connect with you at different moments of your life. It's funny, the last text he sent me was letting me know U2 was going to be on the Tonight Show the next night. Always looking out for everyone he cared for.

I love Kite as well, but I've never really understood the verses at the ending...they kind of 'take me out' of the song...any thoughts on the inclusion of them and how they tie into the rest of the song?

From what I understand, it was a way to ground the song in the time- in a way, to emphasize the moment. Someone else may have a better way of explaining that. Personally I think those end lyrics are a bit awkward, especially the "new media" line. But I don't let that take away from the rest of the song.

Really sorry to hear that, LadySpinHead! I can totally relate - Kite was the first song I listened to when I found out my grandfather died. I still remember sitting in front of my stereo in my bedroom bawling my eyes out. I read out some lyrics at the scattering of his ashes, and I too want it played at my funeral. I was then lucky enough to hear it live on the Vertigo Tour, my first U2 show, when I was 16. They closed with it, played an eight-minute full band version that included a didgeridoo. I was on a high for days afterwards and it is probably the best thing I've ever seen live.

I'm a maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn
I'm not a child
A man who sees
The shadow behind your eyes

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know
Which way the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time must come around
I don't wanna see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

I'm just listening to it now for the first time in years and tearing up a bit. This song alone is an example of why I can't understand the dislike from some fans towards ATYCLB. I mean I'm an atheist so don't believe in heaven and that last line still gets me.

Strength to you and yours :heart:

So so sorry Lady.... Kite is such an amazing song it made me stand strong for my family when my dad was failing and saying his goodbyes... Peace to you :hug:

Thoughts with you and yours. Kite is one of my all time favorites.

My Dad wants us to play it at his funeral, can't imagine the meaning it has taken for you.

My condolences. Lost my Dad years ago and my Mom more recently.

Kite is an amazing song - one of my favorites. Yeah - for me the lyrics at the very end are a bit odd but the melody and cadence of that part is very pretty.

Music often helps us deal with grief - for that I'm grateful. Thoughts with you and your family and friends. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom