Kill Soul?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Sitting here in DC, I'm unhappy to say I wasn't at the Brussels show tonight. But looking through the pics posted on u2.com, I was taken aback by the "Kill" "Soul" that lit up the screens in one of the pics. Is this another attempt by the band to break down its previous images ("the goal is soul" from Elevation)?

What was the context of the rest of the words on the screens?

Utoo said:
Sitting here in DC, I'm unhappy to say I wasn't at the Brussels show tonight. But looking through the pics posted on u2.com, I was taken aback by the "Kill" "Soul" that lit up the screens in one of the pics. Is this another attempt by the band to break down its previous images ("the goal is soul" from Elevation)?

What was the context of the rest of the words on the screens?

Is it a members-only pic? Or can it be accessed by the general public?...

Edit: OK, I found it...pretty easy...lol.

I could only assume it was during "The Fly" (time of day, type of message)...I think the song to which this message popped up would be the most important factor in what it was meant for.

Last edited:
brussels4.jpg

brussels1.jpg

1_brussels3.jpg

1_brussels2.jpg

im sure it was from the fly, they have a lot of funky stuff flash up there these days

Thanks, folks. Makes sense that it's from The Fly. I'm still kinda curious, though, about the juxtaposition of the two words...everything U2 does is so deliberate, even their random stuff.

Oh well--I'm just a nut!:p

No, you were right to be disturbed by that.

It's a mistake when people just see what they WANT to see.

Though it may hurt, look at those pictures for what they are in the context of what should be.

"COEXIST" looks demonic.

Yes, things have gotten worse.

For what they are advertising, they have no right to sing "Yahweh."

He's got to be getting really mad.

Last edited:
No - I am entirely serious.

And I know "The Fly" song and have watched past performances of it with great interest.

I used to love that song - 'played it maybe more than most by a long shot. I also wrote a lot about it.

"LIE" was easy to "place": Beware of the LIE. There are LIES in what many
BELIEVE for religion - and that is true.

Putting LIE in there fit with the Biblical metaphors the song used, which point out, prophetically, how much of what is now called "Christianity" has become apostate to what Christ taught. The downfall began soon after Jesus died. Once-anointed ones who were symbolized as "stars" fell from the sky. Between the God-defaming and spiritually harmful LIES they began spreading and other evils men have chosen to work along with Satan, "OUR WORLD IS IN DARKNESS TONIGHT," indeed.

"KILL SOUL" is different.

I have found that, in the first place, when it comes to songs, many people hardly even pay attention to lyrics - let alone reflect on their poetic intent.

Therefore, if the public is shown "KILL SOUL", the artist SHOULD EXPECT that MESSAGE will be taken, for the most part, at FACE VALUE. Its NET EFFECT is that becomes A SUGGESTION/ A MOTTO/ A COMMAND.

Yahweh is a God who wants his name vindicated - cleared of reproach and upheld - for the good of every living being. He is to be rightly worshiped as the One and Only True God, with his stated principles, commands, counsel, comforting words, and purposes regarded as the TRUTH.

He is a "God exacting EXCLUSIVE DEVOTION." He has ALWAYS, rightly, been that way - he IS the Creator and Universal Sovereign. In his love, "he causes to become" (that is what his name MEANS) - all things good, just, and righteous.

It is the oppostion - with countless man and Satan-made gods and philosophies - that has ruined our world with its defiance of what is naturally right.

False religious teaching is something Yahweh HATES. He is having good-hearted people all over this earth now warned to "get out" of any part of Satan's world empire of false religion. (Revelation 18:4,5) God has already condemned it for all of its spiritual crime. He himself has judged that spiritistic false religion IS GUILTY for "the blood... of all those who been slaughtered on the earth." (Revelation 18:23,24)

YAHWEH DOESN'T WANT IDOLATROUS AND FALSE RELIGIONS TO CO-EXIST. Instead he will soon see to it that that SUCH RELIGIONS WILL CEASE TO EXIST - and so will their supporters, for hearing God's global warnings about their unrighteousness, yet continuing to support them and not do things according to God's given written instruction and spirit that goes with it.

Since Yahweh/Jehovah's name is to be kept totally clean of anything spiritistically tainted that any man may wish to mix it with.......Look out. God WILL VINDICATE HIS NAME.

To keep going with "KILL SOUL" in the name of artistic license is irresponsible to and ignorant of life-or-death spiritual implications. It would be like handing someone drunk out of their mind car keys and turning on their stereo for them, so that they can go drive down a streetful of children.

I hope this is "heard."

Yes, we are at THE END OF THE WORLD. Be WIDE AWAKE, and don't FOLLOW or TEACH LIES, PLEASE.

Last edited:
Leather and lace it is then. See you in Dublin, Cardiff, Berlin, and (the U.S.).

I want to observe, I want to report.

I want to report some GOOD THINGS, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPEAK OUT, because NO TRUTH means NO HOPE.

Last edited:
here said:
Leather and lace it is then. See you in Dublin, Cardiff, Berlin, and more.

I want to observe, I want to report.

I want to report some GOOD THINGS, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPEAK OUT, because NO TRUTH means NO HOPE.

and NO FRESH MUSHROOMS means NO PIZZA!

I guess I'm a little stupid today, but speak out about what?

And what truth?

I guess I didn't get the main post...

mikal said:

and NO FRESH MUSHROOMS means NO PIZZA!

Really. :)

Thanks, bathiu, for the clip. That is a colossal looking production.

U2, please use that power for good - it is getting so late........:(

Last edited:
Let us engage our dear fellow here.

First of all, I don't even know what 'kill soul' means at face value, must less any deeper interpretation. I know that U2 usually plans out their words and presentation carefully, and often times only those who are knowledgable of Christianity get the deeper meaning. That being said, I don't have any idea what the significance of 'kill soul' is.

So most would argue that as Christians, U2 should be bold and direct in their message. They shouldn't be dodgy or obscure in any way. I agree with this sort of thinking in alot of circumstances, but God uses different people in different ways. He may want you and I to be very clear about the plan of salvation when we are conversing with someone, but He didn't reprimand Jesus when he spoke in parables that his audience didn't understand . Sometimes Jesus explained the parables only to the disciples in private. What good did this kind of preaching do for the masses? I can't say that I understand, but I do have believe that Jesus fulfilled his mission, nonetheless.

So U2 don't take the stage and present the Gospel like Billy Graham. Maybe they are still doing God's work, just in a different way. I'm alot like you in that I pay attention to lyrics, and really appreciate the message in songs like The Playboy Mansion, Until the End of the World, Grace, etc. I like how Bono embedded the Gospel message into Discotheque (it's the Way/ you don't pay/ that's ok/ cause you can't earn it).

Regarding the Coexist thing, I think that Christians should rather see peace in the Middle East than violence. If we don't see peace until the second coming, then so be it. We are still commanded to strive for peace. It seems that you are advocating that we do not communicate AT ALL (surely you're not promoting violence towards Jewish and Muslim people) with people of different faiths. Well, that doesn't accomplish anything. If we understand each other better and communicate, then maybe the truth will have a chance to be conveyed from one to another. So all in all, I'm a supporter of the Coexist message.

Regarding the end of the world, I don't have the schedule for it, but I'd like to think you're right. I'm not so sure how you can be so sure though.

One other thing here (your username is kind of weird :wink: ), try to explain yourself a little better. I'm not sure if any of us really understand what you're trying to say. That may sound crazy to you, but it's the truth.

Last edited:
**Liesa** said:
I guess I didn't get the main post...

Whew! Here was my original point.... With Achtung Baby and since, U2 has been known to break down their previous image and create an unexpected new one. Basically, after Joshua Tree, U2 were expected to save the world---the hope & spirituality in their music and lives combined with the political activism they practiced to create in the public's eye this image that U2 were essentially heroes and could save the world.

Feeling the extraordinary weight of such pressure, and exasperated at the sheer absurdity that a band--even the band that wanted to be biggest in the world--could be expected to do so much & be heroes, they came out with Actung Baby. AB is essentially a 'fuck you' to both their original image and to those who expected so much from that image. It's a reflection on how absurd it is to make a rock star--or any celebrity for that matter--more than human and heroic. Jeez, to get into the meanings of The Fly, MacPhisto, Mirrorball Man....that would take so long! All of this is discussed in "U2: At the End of the World," am I wrong?

U2 then repeatedly broke down each successive image with the experimental Zooropa & the techno-driven Pop. They then changed once more with ATYCLB. People say that they went back to their roots with that album, but that's not true-----while they came back to a hopeful message with most songs, the music itself is very different.

HTDAAB is a transition from ATYCLB---some of the same hopefulness, but written in a world that has changed---politically in terms of war & an "increase" in terrorism, and personally for both Bono & Edge.

Basically, since 'soul' was so key to ATYCLB ("the goal is soul," "elevate my soul," etc.), I simply wondered if this was a small attempt to knock down the most recent image---a way for HTDAAB to present a slightly different U2 than we saw with ATYCLB. I in no way expected to get into religion and apocalypse & crazy stuff like that.

As for the above posts, I believe that an artist should not expect people to interpret their work literally. U2 are a thinking band, and they expect (or at least hope for) their audience to think. The images presented during 'The Fly' are part of their art & should be taken as such. U2 are wonderfully positive & active in their personal & political lives. But give them leeway to be artists, as well.

Last edited:
Utoo said:

Basically, since 'soul' was so key to ATYCLB ("the goal is soul," "elevate my soul," etc.), I simply wondered if this was a small attempt to knock down the most recent image---a way for HTDAAB to present a slightly different U2 than we saw with ATYCLB. I in no way expected to get into religion and apocalypse & crazy stuff like that.

Interesting line of thought there. I think it would be cool if the intention was really to knock down their image from ATYCLB. That being said, I personally don't think that's what it's about though.
Soul is as much a part of HTDAAB as it was ATYCLB.

Re: Mikal and the Pizza.......

Preferences aside, with pizza - there can be endless combos - even marshmallows, green peppers and squid. Humans (who have the food available to them) are free to make lots of choices - there is no "right" pizza combo.

What Yahweh wants taught - what he WANTS SPREAD AROUND THE WORLD NOW as his truth - is different. People CAN'T pick and choose what God says is right and necessary. God gets to and has set up the terms for what is acceptable as worship to him. He has also given principles and commands that he expects all humans everywhere to learn and follow. Everyone WILL get their chance to learn of these things and then choose whether they will obey these things out of respect and gratitude to their Creator or not. "THEN THE END WILL COME." (Matthew 24:14) The global preaching work of what is scripturally true will go on until that time, with or without U2 or anyone else...

"What is truth?" Pilot asked Jesus, somewhat mockingly. God lets people who REALLY want to hear it know:

[Jesus praying to Yahweh the night before he was killed, regarding his followers, who were to go out and continue to preach God's messages to a hostile world]

"Sanctify them by means of the truth; YOUR WORD IS TRUTH." John 17:17

So, learn and tell Yahweh/Jehovah's truth in the face of all the lies. Hurry.
Sing it, even.

EVERYONE, pop star or not, has that responsibility now - for which we will all be held accountable.

Last edited:
...At the same time, however, WOE to ANYONE who FIGHTS the will and spirit of Yahweh by teaching things CONTRARY to God's purposed scriptural messages.

"So let us not talk falsely now, because the hour is getting late."

( - Dylan)

This post is way too serious and scary at that. I think some of you guys need to go to a bar, buy yourself a drink, and then give it your best shot at getting laid............by a female preferably:)

Sken said:
This post is way too serious and scary at that. I think some of you guys need to go to a bar, buy yourself a drink, and then give it your best shot at getting laid............by a female preferably:)

:lol:

Beware! <thunder!> <lightning!> The more we mock <crash!> <boom!> the more we descend <dogs & cats living together!> into the depths of....reality! Mwah-hah-hah-hah!!!:macdevil: :coocoo: :crazy: :yikes:

:wink:

Sken said:
I think some of you guys need to go to a bar, buy yourself a drink, and then give it your best shot at getting laid............by a female preferably:)

What if those 'guys' are girls?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom