Just got pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00Kevin

War Child
I just bought pop for my brothers birthday and he won't let me listen to it until he does, which is reasonable but this is taking forever:mad: He's had plenty of time to listen to it but instead he's been listening to other music. This is killing me! I've been listening to all of u2s albums except pop for the past month and being able to listen to it when i have it is really annoying me.

I mean, seriously. Why is it so good?

Second favorite U2 record :drool:

Why kid yourself that you actually bought it for your brother?

Since you feel that way about it, why didn't you just go ahead and buy it for yourself and give your brother a 50 cent birthday card?

just hope it won't take too long for you to realize that the last three songs of that record are of the best songwriting, playing and recording that the human specie has ever been close to.

Besides Miami, Playboy Mansion and Velvet Dress (none of which Ive been able to warm to) every song on that album is good (in my opinion anyway).

My 3rd favourite U2 album :drool: (behind AB and JT).
bedouin fire said:
just hope it won't take too long for you to realize that the last three songs of that record are of the best songwriting, playing and recording that the human specie has ever been close to.
Well, Im not keen on Velvet Dress still but Please and Wake Up Dead Man are simply brilliant.:drool:

I LOVE PLAYBOY MANSION. WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT??? :mad: :wink: :wink:

In POP I don't like Miami but the rest is good/awesome

/10

Discothèque 7,5
Do You Feel Loved 7,5
Mofo 9
If God Will send his angels 8
Staring at the sun 8
Last Night on Earth 9,5
Gone 10
Miami 5
The Playboy Mansion 8,5
Velvet Dress 7,5
Please 9
Wake Up Dead Man 10

After listening to Please, definitely check out the Single Version. Truly superior, it exceeded my expectations! :yes:

MacPhistoPT said:
I LOVE PLAYBOY MANSION. WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT??? :mad: :wink: :wink:

In POP I don't like Miami but the rest is good/awesome

/10

Discothèque 7,5
Do You Feel Loved 7,5
Mofo 9
If God Will send his angels 8
Staring at the sun 8
Last Night on Earth 9,5
Gone 10
Miami 5
The Playboy Mansion 8,5
Velvet Dress 7,5
Please 9
Wake Up Dead Man 10

Playboy Mansion has one of the worst endings to a U2 song, brillant first half.

Irishteen said:

Playboy Mansion has one of the worst endings to a U2 song, brillant first half.

:wink:
I think it only gets really interesting after "never bought a lotto ticket". From that point to the end I think it is a really cute and relaxing song. Not a must in U2 catalog but still very good IMO :wink:

Aardvark747 said:

Motherfucking rock n' rolllllllllllllllllll :rockon: :rockon:

GREAT SONG! I do love this album. Just not fond of Playboy Mansion.... Velvet Dress has a certain mood to it, I like it, but prefer the rest of the album. 'Please' - oh man, I just love the build up and the intensity

:drool:

hedgehog said:
Besides Miami, Playboy Mansion and Velvet Dress (none of which Ive been able to warm to) every song on that album is good (in my opinion anyway).

My 3rd favourite U2 album :drool: (behind AB and JT).

Well, Im not keen on Velvet Dress still but Please and Wake Up Dead Man are simply brilliant.:drool:

I agree on Miami.. but Playboy mansion and Velvet dress are amazing songs.. although I never liked Velvet Dress until I heard the Popmart version

Do You Feel Loved is so great also. The whole album I find very special.

Pop is an amazing underrated album. The music is exploratory and Bono writes sexy and challenging lyrics for probably the last time unfortunately. :-(

Pop: By 1997 i thought it was the greatest album i ever heard
Still pretty much one of the best ever in my opinion

Gone and Please are absolute masterpieces
If God Will Send his Angels is tremendously pretty, Do You Feel Loved is so cool!
The industrial effects of Mofo are amazing
The ''Mother im still your son...." line sends chills to my spine, are out of this world

Playboy Mansion is great also, maybe this is a bit incomplete, but great anyway
Wake Up Dead Man.......wow what a tune!
Discotheque's riff is easily in the top 3 from Edge

Pop: Ahead of its time.

00Kevin said:
I just bought pop for my brothers birthday and he won't let me listen to it until he does, which is reasonable but this is taking forever:mad: He's had plenty of time to listen to it but instead he's been listening to other music. This is killing me! I've been listening to all of u2s albums except pop for the past month and being able to listen to it when i have it is really annoying me.

Pop is by far the most underrated album by the general U2 fan base....and at the same time the most overrated around here. It's a very good album, but in terms of its legacy and influence on other bands... it's certainly no Sergeant Pepper, Zeppelin 4 or Dark Side of the Moon (and no JT or AB for that matter)

Listened to POP last night going to bed. Everything about it is brilliant. Probably their strongest offering sans Achtung Baby. Strongest doesn't mean best, just the one with the least filler and overall well done record. 'Last Night on Earth,' 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' and 'Do You Feel Loved' really blow my mind every time I hear them. Better than that Vertigo and Miracle Drug horse crap we get now.

Pop is, in my opinion, an awesome album!
I think one of the reasons I like it so much is that I wasn't expecting it to be very good having heard so much about them rushing it out to go on tour etc. so when I heard it and liked it it made it more special!

I was listening to Please in my car the other day while giving my sister a lift to work and she said that she thought it was boring - i nearly crashed the car!!

Rich

richclarkson said:
Pop is, in my opinion, an awesome album!
I think one of the reasons I like it so much is that I wasn't expecting it to be very good having heard so much about them rushing it out to go on tour etc. so when I heard it and liked it it made it more special!

I was listening to Please in my car the other day while giving my sister a lift to work and she said that she thought it was boring - i nearly crashed the car!!

Rich

Awesome, granted, but not a classic like JT or AB.

LeafsNation said:

Awesome, granted, but not a classic like JT or AB.

No it's not, but (a) none of their other albums are and (b) stick any other bands name on the front of Pop and I bet it would be considered so.

TheFly84138 said:
Listened to POP last night going to bed. Everything about it is brilliant. Probably their strongest offering sans Achtung Baby. Strongest doesn't mean best, just the one with the least filler and overall well done record. 'Last Night on Earth,' 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' and 'Do You Feel Loved' really blow my mind every time I hear them. Better than that Vertigo and Miracle Drug horse crap we get now.

I dunno about horse crap, but certainly better than the 'lightweight' Vertigo and Miracle Drug. If How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is Diet U2, then Pop is the full strength, fully caffeinated, full fat, full cream, overdose of sugar U2.

The delicacy and beauty and outright sexiness of Velvet Dress never fails to get to me.

Last Night On Earth, Do You Feel Loved and U2's absolute heavyweight champion of rock, Mofo, pound you over and over again in a place of depth that Vertigo would be downright scared to even consider going anywhere near for fear of getting just a little dirty. Vertigo is as rock as the rich white guy from the suburbs is gangster. Meanwhile Mofo is bloodied and beaten in a back alley somewhere, but still throwing mammoth punches with no sign of giving up.

If God Will Send His Angels, Wake Up Dead Man and of course Please show soul, spirit, sincerety, sadness and hope in a way that Miracle Drug , Original of the Species and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own never, ever, ever even dream of coming even remotely close to achieving no matter how many synthesized strings and pop hooks and 'passionate' yelling Bono tries to employ to force you there.

Honestly Earnie i don't hear all this constant yelling you go on about on the Bomb..i can only agree on the chorus of Miracle Drug being over-shouted...i don't hear shouting in Sometimes or Original of The Species, or any other song on the Bomb other than Vertigo...Mate you usually give good arguments that backup what you say and i enjoy reading them even if i personally disagree all the time, even when i dont voice it..and i think Sometimes has a lot of soul...tis fine to disagree and all, its just sometimes people get very close to stating their opinions as fact..

Please itself i find kinda crappy on the album..brilliant live and single wise though...where i think Sometimes is has a brilliant album version and live, crap single though...so if i was just to compare album wise..Sometimes would win hands down for me..

Pop is a great album to me but only for the single and live versions of most songs on it...but i think there are greater songs on it than on the Bomb, but album to album i think Bomb is better because the songs on it are more complete..Pop only became complete with the live setting in my opinion..if you get me.

Pop is a damn good record but it has too many flaws to get close to being truly great music. It's a shame, but not really.

It entirely kills the CCM industry. It's without question U2's "most interesting" album, and the only one that stands up to intellectual analysis. The lyrics rhyme too much. People could write endless dissertations on Pop-- a large part of its meaning is from the fact that U2 released it. You cannot ignore that. It's not just U2 chopping down the Joshua Tree and adopting a new style and a new image. It's U2 attempting to chop themselves down. And only half succeeding (see Kid A for near-full success). But really getting some things across in the process, things only a band in the position of U2 could get across, and no other band in that position ever tried. Radiohead, huge as they could have grown at one time, were still never remotely in U2's position.

In a way, the fact that it sounds musically compromised or overproduced or underproduced or dodgy or just blah in places (in my opinion at least) helps get its artistic point, its religious point, its point about the vacuousness of mass pop culture, home even more. But I dont think that was intentional. The problem with Pop is its title was trying to be both ironic and dead serious at the same time. It was U2, actually, being the biggest corporate stadium rock band in the world, and it was U2 criticizing a world that creates stadium rock bands in the first place. You can't do that. Not because it's hypocritical, that would be a shallow and stupid reason to criticize it and it would apply to every vaguely anti-establishment major label band out there. But the unfortunate fact is, you will no longer be the biggest stadium rock band in the world if you allow yourself to write quite the type of music that is necessary to convey the emptiness of being the biggest stadium rock band in the world. Unless you fully embrace irony and make an album of intentionally shiny happy meaningless nonsense pop music so nonsensically shiny and happy it would convey that emptiness to the intellectuals, and be embraced mindlessly by the mindless without ever knowing it was mocking them on the side. And that would have been an intellectual exercise, and far too cruel and elitist to the mainstream audience for Bono. He wants everyone to get it. He wants to lead them there. And he has a point-- Pop makes too many valid criticisms and U2's audience was too broad, to lose that preaching (in a good way) opportunity. That's why he could never fully embrace irony, and even "Discotheque" has those lines at the end telling us what it's really all about.

But for me the best part of Pop is, they didn't get the time to perfect it. That's good because who knows what perfecting it would have meant-- either turning it into better stadium pop music, or turning it into more experimental music. I'm guessing the former, but either one would have taken it out of the middle ground, with those two instincts fighting it out, that makes it such a brilliant failure.

Yes, it mostly fails as instantly pleasing pop music. It needed quite a few listens for all the hooks to come through, and still they are maddeningly unmemorable compared to this band's best. And it also fails at being experimental anti-establishment music, for more obvious reasons. More than half this album was spun off as singles. U2 did not cease to be U2 with Pop, they became U2 even more. Only critics, and the people that had to pay for the PopMart tour, saw it as a failure.

The nagging flaws of Pop are what get you to investigate it more deeply. It doesn't sound like a brilliant sonically reinvented ironic U2 (just a couple songs), nor does it sound like perfectly constructed corporate pop music. It doesn't fully please anybody. What is sounds like, is halfhearted corporate pop music at points, and like lukewarm sonic reinvention at others. Like corporate pop music that hasn't been so much intentionally dismantled as left to decay a bit and show its cracks. Almost always, the music is weak enough for the lyrics to show through and make their point, and that's the important thing.

Is it an unintentional masterpiece? No, if I had been in a place like this for years I might think that, but I'm not enough of a U2 obsessive to believe it, and it's my intellectual response-- which U2 wouldn't want anyway. As a piece of performance art, it's perfect, but when you stick on the headphones and forget who this is, as music, it must be compared to other music, by U2 and by others, and it has to do that intangible metaphysical thing the greatest music does. It's not bad as music, but it's much more of a museum piece.

My ranking of the songs:

1. Discotheque
2. Staring at the Sun
3. Do You Feel Loved
4. Gone
5. If You Wear that Velvet Dress
6. Mofo
7. Please
8. Miami
9. Wake Up Dead Man
10. Last Night on Earth
11. If God Will Send His Angels (way too earnest for this album. musically dull. feels unnecessary because the rest of the songs and their back catalog say this same thing in better ways. doesnt work for me)
12. The Playboy Mansion (er, no)

Oh and I hate the way Bono stole his own great lyrics from "Do You Feel Loved" and perverted them into the atrocity that is "Yahweh." I only listened to HTDAAB enough to realize it wasnt for me, but the melody of that tune stuck with me enough to come in and ruin any attempts to remember "Do You Feel Loved" when it's not playing. :mad:

Pop is my second favorite U2 album, sometimes I think it's my favorite

c'mon, it has great tunes in a no conventional way. It has a strong feeling I can't describe, like sadness and lostness, or something, or melancholy, but I have to insist, in a no convetional way, Pop is not a conventional album

most of the lyrics are pure poetry, and at least, they were experimenting and taking a risk.

Gone is a perfect song (yes... PERFECT)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom