July 30, 2011 - Magnetic Hill, Moncton, NB II: Camping Out For U2 ... For Real!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me hearing Bono saying "Moncton" was the last thing I thought I'd ever hear him say. So Awesome :giggle: I frequently call Moncton, Monkeytown. We used to go up often because they had different stores, but now Saint John has them as well. It's a nice trip to take through Fundy Park, Hillsborough and then into Moncton for second hand record shops and St.Huberts. To know now that I have seen my favourite band in my home province.. it's huge. Something I'll hold on tight too forever. I know I keep referencing that, I hope it's not annoying but it is still something that I am wrapping my head around. All I can say is, Wow!

There's a group of French people who go to tons of shows (always rail, always drape a flag) who've *hit* a (girl) friend of mine for being in their spot. Their group is both male/female.

Is it the same group that Vik ran into by any chance? Im just curious.

Hi by the way sara:wave: Have you made it home to Minneapolis in that Rolls royce of yours ;) or are you gonna go to lollapalooza in Chicago?

Just to clear this up. I've met Vik a few times and he's really a great guy from what i've seen. I plan to meet up with him next time I'm back in London if I can. He's very gracious in person he really is. I know this incident is something he must not be too proud of but again, I've been without proper sleep for 5 days, like he did running the GA line and like someone else said 'your mind does wander " ;)

I will never excuse hitting a woman. I highly doubt he hit her, just moved here away from where she was and again, he and the rest of the guys followed the security requirements. This girl did not in her excitement to get to the front. Simple as. She got called on it and got pissed.

So it's GA rage then ;) hmmmm.:hmm: Maybe we can get T-shirts done for next tour…
"Stay away from the GArage" ;)

We did have a blast! And no, most aren't from Boston, though that's where we all really met each other.
Somehow, I don't think we used all the 62 glowsticks we had with us... :shifty: :D

Awesome haha. Which member of the group were you?

Just to clear this up. I've met Vik a few times and he's really a great guy from what i've seen. I plan to meet up with him next time I'm back in London if I can. He's very gracious in person he really is. I know this incident is something he must not be too proud of but again, I've been without proper sleep for 5 days, like he did running the GA line and like someone else said 'your mind does wander " ;)

I will never excuse hitting a woman. I highly doubt he hit her, just moved here away from where she was and again, he and the rest of the guys followed the security requirements. This girl did not in her excitement to get to the front. Simple as. She got called on it and got pissed.

So it's GA rage then ;) hmmmm.:hmm: Maybe we can get T-shirts done for next tour…
"Stay away from the GArage" ;)

He actually pushed her with force and was yelling that she was not never in line to security when they tried to intervene. She was ahead of me in line ...by the time 2 guys tried
To intervene the front area already filled up. She was entitled to that spot cause she got there first. No security rules were broken at all.

Vic apologized and has promised to act more humane in the future ...let's just hope others will stop the pushing , shoving , and hitting

Classy Post. Speaks volumes about you !!!!

It speaks volumes about a certain (and hopefully tiny) class of U2 fan when it seems that among all of this, the only part of it that is recognised as 'wrong' is the part where it turns violent, and that the rest of the many layers of madness involved are all apparently perfectly legit as justification for it.

I mean, to think *that* crossed a line, but not see that everything leading up to it is already beyond... Six days in a GA line running a list? Any belief that you have any right to any spot? Any belief that you have any authority, power or entitlement over any other fan, whether they're hardcore like you, or even just a regular casual punter who can only name half the band and half of U218? And a belief that you have that power or entitlement because you go to dozens of gigs and spend days in line? Or that you think there's anything important about the - in reality, probably spiteful - 'recognition' you get from a band member because you hog said front spots? And all of this leads to "Aww, don't worry Vik, you learned your lesson, U2 fans :hug:"

Anyone who thinks or acts like that, and is a part of this class of U2 fan, probably shouldn't be all "See you next tour!", but perhaps, "Think I need to take the next one off."

Popmartijn said:
I was the one wearing the orange Boston Red Sox cap. :)

Red Sox FTW. Also from Boston which garnered some groans from the natives. Then I went showed my picture with the Cup. I'm surprised I made it through the show.

It speaks volumes about a certain (and hopefully tiny) class of U2 fan when it seems that among all of this, the only part of it that is recognised as 'wrong' is the part where it turns violent, and that the rest of the many layers of madness involved are all apparently perfectly legit as justification for it.

I mean, to think *that* crossed a line, but not see that everything leading up to it is already beyond... Six days in a GA line running a list? Any belief that you have any right to any spot? Any belief that you have any authority, power or entitlement over any other fan, whether they're hardcore like you, or even just a regular casual punter who can only name half the band and half of U218? And a belief that you have that power or entitlement because you go to dozens of gigs and spend days in line? Or that you think there's anything important about the - in reality, probably spiteful - 'recognition' you get from a band member because you hog said front spots? And all of this leads to "Aww, don't worry Vik, you learned your lesson, U2 fans :hug:"

Anyone who thinks or acts like that, and is a part of this class of U2 fan, probably shouldn't be all "See you next tour!", but perhaps, "Think I need to take the next one off."

This.

Well said. :up:

I was the one wearing the orange Boston Red Sox cap. :)

Okay, I think I was right behind you.

P1010024.jpg

Red Sox FTW. Also from Boston which garnered some groans from the natives. Then I went showed my picture with the Cup. I'm surprised I made it through the show.

We actually have a lot of Bruins and Red Sox fans out here in the Maritimes. Makes sense since Boston is actually closer than Montreal or Toronto geographically. My pastor was there and he is a big Canucks fan, I sort of wanted him to come to where I was and start up some Boston hate just to see what would happen. ;)

Agreed that this is well said. An alternative to the last line is that maybe people should consider getting seats for the next tour and see the show from a different perspective and without having to do the long GA queue.

He actually pushed her with force and was yelling that she was not never in line to security when they tried to intervene. She was ahead of me in line ...by the time 2 guys tried
To intervene the front area already filled up. She was entitled to that spot cause she got there first. No security rules were broken at all.

Vic apologized and has promised to act more humane in the future ...let's just hope others will stop the pushing , shoving , and hitting

Sounds rough. I wasn't there at the time so I couldn't comment. But how did she follow security rules when security told them to follow in a line and not run and she beat them there. Riddle me that Batman!

X 1000.

Try this shit with me next tour Vik..fuck your rambling self-serving "apology", you're an idiot and crazy if you think that being ANY number guarantees you any spot, period. I'd gladly sit out a show if it came down to it, just for the satisfaction of beating this self-entitlement outta your sorry ass. :up:

I don't do the 5 days GA thing (not even overnight or 4am!) and have slowly learnt to respect the people that do. Back when I started queuing (87) , first come first serve and we policed the lines You're absolutely right. no-one has the right or the power to anything as far as being on the rail. Im 6'3 and would be embarrassed to be on the rail as I would be blocking other people's view to be honest. So I don't do the Eusabian Bolt dash to the rail or get an insanely early enough GA number for it to matter. I still want to be in the pit and have only missed it once all tour.

Grabbing a girl by the face and throwing her off the rail?? If you say you saw this I'm shocked!! Nothing justifies that. But it's very hard to make a judgement when you weren't there and emotions are running high.

Vik has already apologized for his actions, whatever they were. the girl he tussled with has also made her peace with him. Can we just agree that no system is perfect but we should always, always remember to treat each other with dignity, respect and humility. If you don;t then Karma;s waitin for ya ;)

I definately don't agree with putting your hands on a woman.

However, I do have to say that anyone that tries to slip into a spot that I have waited or have been waiting in longer then themselves does call for words. Right is right and ppl that try and slip in at the last moment have no right to push and bump their way to the front because they are too lazy to make the commitment.

Grabbing a girl by the face and throwing her off the rail?? If you say you saw this I'm shocked!! Nothing justifies that. But it's very hard to make a judgement when you weren't there and emotions are running high.

the girl he tussled with has also made her peace with him.

1st paragraph: you're missing the point - even if "all" he did was berate her verbally, he's a freakin douche for believing that just because he was a higher number in line, he had any right to be anywhere other than where he ended up. You can't end up where someone else already IS. PERIOD.

2nd paragraph: Really? I didn't see her log on here and state this. All we have is his assertion that this happened. I really question whether her story is the same.

I definately don't agree with putting your hands on a woman.

However, I do have to say that anyone that tries to slip into a spot that I have waited or have been waiting in longer then themselves does call for words. Right is right and ppl that try and slip in at the last moment have no right to push and bump their way to the front because they are too lazy to make the commitment.

Why does everyone, including Vik, seem to be all right with the statements that sound like "I don't agree with hitting a woman. However/But she/they..... " Like, really??! :huh:

She didn't try and 'slip in' anywhere. She got to a spot that Vik, in his crazy self entitled imagination had already mapped out as somehow belonging to him, or "his". Big problem, however: He wasn't there first - she was.

1st paragraph: you're missing the point - even if "all" he did was berate her verbally, he's a freakin douche for believing that just because he was a higher number in line, he had any right to be anywhere other than where he ended up. PERIOD.

2nd paragraph: Really? I didn't see her log on here and state this. All we have is his assertion that this happened. I really question whether her story is the same.

I'm not missing the point! If you say she's allowed to get away with whatever she feels like rightly or wrongly regardless of what, when where how, become an anarchist!!!! Become literal with me…back at ya!!!! :wave:

Grow some intestinal fortitude and grow up!!

Kangaroo court comes to mind when I think of your reactions here!

Why does everyone, including Vik, seem to be all right with the statements that sound like "I don't agree with hitting a woman. However/But she/they..... " Like, really??! :huh:

She didn't try and 'slip in' anywhere. She got to a spot that Vik, in his crazy self entitled imagination had already mapped out as "his". He wasn't there first, she was.

OHHHHHHH - sorry working and posting at the same time here - not a good mix lol. I thought she tried to slip in at the last moment in front of him.

I'm not missing the point! If you say she's allowed to get away with whatever she feels like rightly or wrongly regardless of what, when where how, become an anarchist!!!! Become literal with me…back at ya!!!! :wave:

Grow some intestinal fortitude and grow up!!

Kangaroo court comes to mind when I think of your reactions here!

Are you nuts?

By his own account, she went in on Edge's side and he on Adam's. She got to spot A before he did. When Vik arrived at spot A, Vik believed that she didn't deserve to be there because she had a "higher number" than he, and so physically forced her to move.

Kangaroo court my ass - that's exactly what Vik did to her, not the other way around - and he used the fact that she couldn't defend herself not only physically but in the English language to gain his way over her. There's no way else to try and sugar coat it.

Anyways back to your stupid statement on "class" - I'd sooner share a beer with JT than I would this total jerkoff.

Are you nuts?

By his own account, she went in on Edge's side and he on Adam's. She got to spot A before he did. When Vik arrived at spot A, Vik believed that she didn't deserve to be there because she had a "higher number" than he, and so physically forced her to move.

Kangaroo court my ass - that's exactly what Vik did to her, not the other way around - and he used the fact that she couldn't defend herself not only physically but in the English language to gain his way over her. There's no way else to try and sugar coat it.

Anyways back to your stupid statement on "class" - I'd sooner share a beer with JT than I would this total jerkoff.

I shared a beer with Vik and plan on sharing many others. Your loss and god help others in your life if you're so judgemental! Again, nothing justifies hitting a woman and if he did this I'm very embarassed for him but he sounded contrite to me.

You're very quick to judge someones else's statement about the issue but dismiss Vik's assertion of meeting the girl at the airport. Convenient to choose the truth you want to believe I think. :yes:

Again - it's actually U2's fault (or Live Nations, I suppose) because they don't have any formal system in place. If you're leaving it up to crazy, desperate superfans, and thus letting it spill out into days before, and lists, and a fan heirarchy, and a system running parallel or even counter to formal stadium plans - then of course this shit is going to happen. If you reign it in to there only being a need to turn up to the stadium on the evening of the gig, and bring in some system whereby everyone has an equal shot (lottery FTW), then you get none of this. Vik taking some girl out over his rail spot isn't the problem. That's just Hitler invading Poland - you need to rewind a bit.

Again - it's actually U2's fault (or Live Nations, I suppose) because they don't have any formal system in place. If you're leaving it up to crazy, desperate superfans, and thus letting it spill out into days before, and lists, and a fan heirarchy, and a system running parallel or even counter to formal stadium plans - then of course this shit is going to happen. If you reign it in to there only being a need to turn up to the stadium on the evening of the gig, and bring in some system whereby everyone has an equal shot (lottery FTW), then you get none of this. Vik taking some girl out over his rail spot isn't the problem. That's just Hitler invading Poland - you need to rewind a bit.

Wow!!! Hitler Invading Poland!!! I knew it was this big :D

Agreed on the lottery. Gives everyone a fair chance. I did meet a guy though that went to 26 or 28 Vertigo shows and didn't get beeped once though!!! He was convinced his name was on a "do not beep" list ;)

You know what I mean, horse has bolted and all that.

The next tour will surely be arenas, and they'll no doubt have some sort of rampy thing, so they'll have to do something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom